PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis to Test NRL clubs

DIEHARD
04-06-06, 06:22 PM
New Zealand Rugby League has asked for five NRL players to be released from their clubs to play in this month's rugby league Test against Great Britain.

The Kiwis were expected to select from Super League clubs but in a new twist, NZRL chairman Selwyn Bennett said they would be prepared to take the matter to the international board if Australian clubs refused to release players for the June 28 game at St Helens.

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan, fresh from a whistle-stop trip to England, has asked for Sydney Roosters' Iosia Soliola, Parramatta duo Jeremy Smith and Fuifui Moimoi, Melbourne's David Kidwell and the Bulldogs' Billy Ngawini.

"I don't think we're asking for too much because we haven't asked for any star players," Bennett told the New Zealand Herald.

"I think it's getting to the stage where we're going to have to test it."

McClennan wants to use the Test to aid the development of future internationals and is keen for Ngawini to play alongside veteran halfback Stacey Jones.

Moimoi is being viewed as a replacement for the injured Paul Rauhihi, who is out for three months with a back injury, while Kidwell would provide experience in the forward pack.

FOXSPORTS

Teegy
04-06-06, 06:33 PM
i hope all clubs allow them to go. its should be mandatory to allow them if they have been selected

DIEHARD
04-06-06, 06:37 PM
i hope all clubs allow them to go. its should be mandatory to allow them if they have been selected

They'd be within their rights to say no, especially considering two months ago this test match didn't exist.

I hope they do release players. And this grows into an annual event with the Warriors getting a BYE at the same time.

If they get knocked back its another bullet for the Kiwis to fire over the bow of the RLIF.

Teegy
04-06-06, 06:41 PM
i dont just mean this test. any scheduled test. this one was short notice. and im sure NRL will give NZ the bye if it becomes an annual event.

DIEHARD
04-06-06, 06:52 PM
i dont just mean this test. any scheduled test. this one was short notice. and im sure NRL will give NZ the bye if it becomes an annual event.

Me too.

I would still like to see a Lions v France game during the Super League finals series, comprising of players not included in the finals series.

Maybe not call them the Lions but send a quality team, similar to our Australia A, Emus or PM's XIII.

Dakink
04-06-06, 07:31 PM
Not sure if Jeremy Smith will get the chance - he might be on the sideline for an extended period.

Coaster
04-06-06, 08:27 PM
Is it being called a Test now?

If it is then sure they should be allowed to play.

If not then No the clubs pay there wages and a trial game that takes that player from there club for 3 weeks is not a good thing

Go_The_Doggies
05-06-06, 08:46 AM
It was always a test, but apparantly there was a lack of communication or something, i read it somewhere awhile back.

Anywhoo...i really hope Folksey allows Billy to play, along with the other coaches. But back to Billy for a minute lol..he isnt getting any time in FG at the moment, so why not let him play in the test...it would be great for him.

Eel 33
05-06-06, 08:52 AM
Don't take our Fui Fui, he's the only reason i go to the games now. :lol!:

Go_The_Doggies
05-06-06, 10:06 AM
Tbh i didnt even know he was Kiwi...the commentators never talk about it...not even the Kiwi commentators. I thought he was aboriginal :purdy:

ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE NZ SIDE IS NAMED...i cannot wait for this test :cop:

BRONCOS FAN
26-06-06, 07:59 PM
Yes i reakon that all players should be aloud to go too...

Manly Boy
04-07-06, 01:34 PM
I agree that NZ should get the bye here if it is and annual thing now and all clubs should allow the players to play any sheduled test match as mentioned above by others...

Townsville Titan
06-07-06, 11:54 PM
GO THE AUSSIES!!!

SuperCliffy#01
07-07-06, 02:53 PM
They the NRL clubs should release the players, it is the price you pay for having Kiwi's in your team.cya. :guit: