PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Putting Coast on the map

Queenslander
03-06-06, 09:29 AM
Putting Coast on the map
Bernie Pramberg

June 03, 2006

JOHN Cartwright admits he's nervous, even though the Gold Coast Titans website says it's still 287 days to kickoff.

http://thecouriermail.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5163212,00.jpg
HOT seat ... `I'm nervous as hell', says top Titan John Cartwright. Picture: Adam Head

On Cartwright's desk are two mobile phones, a laptop and a book by hockey super-coach Ric Charlesworth.

The fledgling club is a year old, Cartwright has been on the coast for six months and ex-Broncos back-rower Brad Meyers became the Titans' 11th signing on Thursday.

Things are on the move, with Roosters stalwart Craig Fitzgibbon tipped to be next cab off the rank headed to the Gold Coast.

Cartwright might be coach, but he drew the short straw when they allocated offices in the plush highrise overlooking the Southport Broadwater.

If he looks to the right, he sees the wall of an adjacent building. Look left, and it's a whiteboard with names of the Titans development squads and players who have caught the eye in the Queensland Cup.

Cartwright doesn't care . . . there's a lot more on his mind than watching water.

"I'm nervous as hell. I appreciate the risk the club has taken with someone who hasn't coached first grade in the NRL," he said.

"I have concerns, but I'm confident I can handle the situation. I think it will bring out the best in me."

Cartwright, assistant coach to Ricky Stuart at the Roosters for four seasons after coaching Jersey Flegg and Premier League teams at Penrith, fits the "brand" at the Titans.

It's about being new.

"The coaching staff fits in with how the club want to be seen. It's a new club, playing at a new stadium with new supporters," Cartwright said.

"It's a double-edged sword. If we're not performing it won't be seen as a resurrection of rugby league on the Gold Coast.

"If we compete on the field, and gain community and corporate support it will be seen as something new.

"Everything is easy for us at the moment. The next step is performing on the field . . . that's when we will be judged."

A strong, ball-playing forward who made the 1990 Kangaroo tour and played in the 1992 World Cup, Cartwright also had a reputation as a "solid bloke" during his playing days.

Unlike the dead and buried Giants, Seagulls and Chargers, the Titans are determined stability and credibility will endure as part of their ethos.

"It has to start at the top. Players need to see that the management structure is solid, and the coaching staff is solid," Cartwright said.

"We've done our homework on the type of player we've signed. And the coaching staff will have a big influence on the attitude.

"Billy Johnstone is very experienced as a player and conditioner. The Cowboys say he was the man who helped them turn around big time.

"I've known Trevor Gillmeister (assistant coach) for a long time, playing with and against him. He's very approachable, solid as a rock and with a real hard edge. We're all here to progress our careers."

The Titans start training in early November and Cartwright will have a top squad of 25 players with another 10 on contract.

He has worked tirelessly to take in as many Queensland Cup, local club matches and under-age games as possible.

Several youngsters have been earmarked, and two or three players seem certain to be signed from the club's affiliates in the Queensland Cup, Tweed Heads, Burleigh and Ipswich.

"I've seen players I definitely want to give an opportunity," he said. "The main adjustment to NRL footy is the pace of the game. Whether they can make that adjustment is up to them."

Cartwright's aspirations to coach were spawned during a difficult period as Penrith self-destructed in the early 1990s after winning a premiership.

"I was captain and we were going through a bad time at Penrith," he recalled.

"The place was in turmoil and there was conjecture about what Phil Gould (then coach) was going to do.

"I was getting toward the end of my career and wanted to know what future I had in football. To see it all fall apart at Penrith was heartbreaking because a lot of blokes had grown up together and were really good mates.

"We could have won another two or three premierships but didn't handle what was thrown at us very well at all. We didn't handle success."

Gould, Tim Sheens and Stuart have been major influences on Cartwright's coaching philosophy.

"Queenslanders won't like it but Gus has had a big influence on me," he said.

"He took a special interest in me at Penrith as he'd known me since I was about 13.

"As a player I got more out of his coaching than I could have from anyone else. He's the most knowledgeable person to talk to about the game.

"Tim Sheens was the first to bring professionalism to the game when he was at Penrith. He was big on individual skills and weight training.

"And although Ricky (Stuart) hasn't been coaching long, he has a knack of getting the best out of his players.

"I'd like to take something away from those guys and put it into my coaching."

The Courier Mail

DeeGan
03-06-06, 10:24 AM
The Craig Fitzgibbon link will not go away - I still cannot fathom him leaving the Roosters though would welcome him all the same given he would be a great club man and prove to be a great leader in 2007. I personally think that his rep days are behind him so if we could sign him to a 2-3 year deal, we would have the makings of a very good pack in 2007. Carty being here is obviously something in our favour with Fitzy though being Roosters captain and from what I know a good relationship with Sticky, I just can't picture him leaving given he would be another high profile forward to leave the chicken coup at Sydney as I stated in another thread (Fitzy would join Ricketson, Crocker, Cayless, Cusak and most likely Morley who will head to the UK).

Back to the topic...

Carty will succeed in the NRL as a first grade coach, I have no reservation in stating that. He epitomises the culture we are building with the Titans and despite not having first grade coaching experience, the man has done it all as a player and played under some of the great coaches of the modern era. Assisting Ricky at the Roosters in the dominant years will also prove to be invaluable.

I think Carty is a long term coach at the club, possibly a 10 year type at the helm of the club - time will tell.

DIEHARD
03-06-06, 07:48 PM
Don't stress Carty. We know you are up to it and have confidence in you. We have seen your work with the Blues, Roosters and your tilt with the USA Tomahawks will always be memorable for rugby league fans.

I can't think of a better coach I would like to have. I really rate him professionally and personally, I think he has a right personality and temperament to lead us.

We will field a classy team and I think John has what it takes to mold them into a unit and build a club.

I also enjoyed his honesty in the article. :D

Supergoose
04-06-06, 12:00 AM
The Craig Fitzgibbon link will not go away - I still cannot fathom him leaving the Roosters though would welcome him all the same given he would be a great club man and prove to be a great leader in 2007. I personally think that his rep days are behind him so if we could sign him to a 2-3 year deal, we would have the makings of a very good pack in 2007. Carty being here is obviously something in our favour with Fitzy though being Roosters captain and from what I know a good relationship with Sticky, I just can't picture him leaving given he would be another high profile forward to leave the chicken coup at Sydney as I stated in another thread (Fitzy would join Ricketson, Crocker, Cayless, Cusak and most likely Morley who will head to the UK).

Back to the topic...

Carty will succeed in the NRL as a first grade coach, I have no reservation in stating that. He epitomises the culture we are building with the Titans and despite not having first grade coaching experience, the man has done it all as a player and played under some of the great coaches of the modern era. Assisting Ricky at the Roosters in the dominant years will also prove to be invaluable.

I think Carty is a long term coach at the club, possibly a 10 year type at the helm of the club - time will tell.

Those odds of Fitzy coming to the coast are shorting all the time their DeeGan! ;) :laugh:

Eel 33
05-06-06, 09:35 AM
Won't say no to a signing like Fitzgibbon, great work ethic. He could build a platform for a few young players after he retires.

The Original Idiot
06-06-06, 07:38 PM
If the management want Cartwright to become a good coach, they should guarantee he has the job for the next 5 years without the possibility of being sacked. This would ease the pressure on him. A relaxed person performs better.