PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hannay

Queenslander
03-06-06, 09:24 AM
Could Hannay be one of the next Titan's signings?

http://www.cowboys.com.au/uploads/image/1619.jpg

Josh Hannay

Josh, one of Moranbah's finest, was selected to play first grade at the raw age of 16 only to be denied the chance because of age restrictions. Although he has suffered set backs, Josh has become one of the Cowboys best and his goalkicking has been second to none.

Josh again proved his worth in 2005 forming one of the best centre combination with Paul Bowman in the competition.

Information

Date Of Birth: 11 Jan 1980

Height: 188cm

Weight: 92kg

Position: Centre

Nickname: "Head"

Junior Club: Moranbah Miners

Represented: 1996 U15s QLD Schoolboys; 1997 Australian School Boys; 1998-99 Junior Kangaroos; State of Origin 2003

Greatest influences: Dad

Career high point: State of Origin; First Grade Debut

Senior clubs: Toyota Cowboys

First grade debut: 1998

Career Stats (From nrl.com):
Games 143
Trys 47
Goals 335
Fg 0
Pts 858

************************************************** *************************************
Hannay set for month-long NRL audition
Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 7:45 AM

Out of favour and without a club for next season, North Queensland centre Josh Hannay has nominated the next month as the most important of his NRL career.

Hannay, 26, has until June 30 to audition for a new contract with the competition's anti-tampering deadline fast approaching.

His audition period begins on Sunday with the former Queensland State of Origin centre recalled for the Cowboys' clash against reigning premier Wests Tigers at Telstra Stadium.

Hannay's form has been solid after being demoted to the Queensland Wizard Cup but only a injury to Ashley Graham saw him earn a reprieve from coach Graham Murray.

He knows he has to hit form in the top flight quickly in order to keep his first grade spot and demand another big money contract for next season.

"I think the club and any (other) club in the NRL is pretty aware of what I'm capable of," Hannay said.

"It's not as if I'm a rookie coming through and if I can play some good footy over the next month and play to the standards I've set in the past then, as I said, people in the game know what I bring to a side.

"So I'll be hoping to make a good fist of it.

"It is pretty important I guess for me, the next month, just to show that I am back to where I'm capable of playing and I've got plenty to offer still."

Hannay said a lack of confidence following off-season shoulder surgery gave the Cowboys' brains trust of Murray, Neil Henry and Grant Bell little option but to drop him to reserve grade.

The Moranbah product said he had handled the situation poorly and thought he could regain his spot through "reputation".

"To be honest, maybe initially, I thought I'd just get my spot back just on reputation and what I'd done for the club in the past," he said.

"That was probably the wrong way to go about things.

"I just changed my way of thinking around, had some discussions with the coaching staff, and it was just basically getting back to being a footballer and not resting on what I'd done in the past."

The club's depth in outside backs and its reluctance to offer him a new contract means Hannay may be forced to leave the club he first played for as an 18-year-old in 1998.

He has been linked to the Gold Coast and has had interest from several overseas clubs.

Hannay will partner Paul Bowman in the centres with injured pair Graham (concussion) and Ty Williams (broken leg) on the sidelines.

Graham is expected to return next week while Williams faces another two months away from the game

NRL.com

Teegy
03-06-06, 09:35 AM
i would really like to see Titans target him. hes a good young but exeperianced player who is exelent in defence a good attacker and has the ability to kick aswell.

DeeGan
03-06-06, 10:17 AM
I would push for the signing of Hannay - he still has plenty to offer in the NRL.

Josh is 26 y.o. and has played one Origin game for QLD, why wouldn't we be looking at the 141 game veteran? Hannay will never be confused for a Mark Gasnier, Timana Tahu or Matt King, though he is a good defensive centre who can score a bucket load of points - at a reasonable price, I would love to see J. Hannay in our run on side for round 1 next season.

Steelers
03-06-06, 10:21 AM
I would push for the signing of Hannay - he still has plenty to offer in the NRL.

Josh is 26 y.o. and has played one Origin game for QLD, why wouldn't we be looking at the 141 game veteran? Hannay will never be confused for a Mark Gasnier, Timana Tahu or Matt King, though he is a good defensive centre who can score a bucket load of points - at a reasonable price, I would love to see J. Hannay in our run on side for round 1 next season.

And he also can kick goals... and as far as I know the Titans don't have a goal kicker yet (except for Preston)

novacastrian_panther
03-06-06, 11:24 AM
IMO PC is a 2nd choice kicker.

Teegy
03-06-06, 11:25 AM
Prince is pretty decent at goal kicking aswell but he wouldn't be a 1st choice

qld power
03-06-06, 11:27 AM
he would be a good buy plenty of big match expericnce and still only 26

mb63
03-06-06, 12:15 PM

Josh is 26 y.o. and has played one Origin game for QLD, why wouldn't we be looking at the 141 game veteran? Hannay will never be confused for a Mark Gasnier, Timana Tahu or Matt King, though he is a good defensive centre who can score a bucket load of points - at a reasonable price, I would love to see J. Hannay in our run on side for round 1 next season.Agree,I would make Hannay a priority.With Murray likely to be at Cowboys long term Hannay is best to move on.

Coaster
03-06-06, 01:01 PM
I hope this comes though, i think he is a great player.

But the Titans have been holding there cards very close to there chest resently, i wouldnt be surprised if anything happened.

Luke
03-06-06, 01:59 PM
He would be a great signing. He has alot of talent but his confidence is playing up if he can stay confident Titans could have one hell of a centre.

DIEHARD
03-06-06, 07:41 PM
He would be a very welcome signing for the Gold Coast. He has a lot to offer and is still young and has vast experience. He'd be a fantastic Titan player.

It would also make my friend and Cowboys fan GOATUS very happy.

Chaos
04-06-06, 10:38 PM
But the Titans have been holding there cards very close to there chest resently, i wouldnt be surprised if anything happened.

True Coaster...I didn't see the Brad Meyers signing coming.

Why aren't we looking to sign an attacking centre?
I don't think Hanney is the style of centre we should be focusing on first.

The code is blessed with some quality attacking centres at the moment and sides like the Titans should be capitalising on this.

I'm sure there are safe defending footballers running around all levels of the code and can be called up at any time for limited payment.

Teegy
04-06-06, 10:55 PM
True Coaster...I didn't see the Brad Meyers signing coming.

Why aren't we looking to sign an attacking centre?
I don't think Hanney is the style of centre we should be focusing on first.

The code is blessed with some quality attacking centres at the moment and sides like the Titans should be capitalising on this.

I'm sure there are safe defending footballers running around all levels of the code and can be called up at any time for limited payment.
Hanney is the only quality centre titans have a chance in signing. the centre market is pretty slim this year.

patskE
05-06-06, 08:35 AM
hanny would be an alright signing if u have an attacking center, hanny one of the guys who cant really beat anyone 1v1, like tonga/gaz can do, which you need i rkn

Eel 33
05-06-06, 09:49 AM
Partner him with Nathan Barnes, either as a winger or centre. Could be a very good combo.

novacastrian_panther
05-06-06, 04:14 PM
whos nathan barnes?

Teegy
05-06-06, 04:36 PM
Nat barnes plays QLD cup for tweed.

Hanney might not score you heap personally but he is awesome at putting his outside man away. look at how many ty williams has scored outsie him

Gonzalez
07-06-06, 03:39 PM
Titans should sign him...i doubt he will be re-signed by the Cowboys.

The Original Idiot
07-06-06, 05:44 PM
Partner him with Nathan Barnes, either as a winger or centre. Could be a very good combo.
I'd also like to see Hannay at 3 with Barnes outside him. Nat is the top tryscorer in QLD cup, many QLD cup players do well in the NRL.