PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Jason Smith

Saint_Titan
03-06-06, 09:17 AM
Theres a thread on the rleague Titans forums stating Jason Smith wants to play his last season for the Titans as he is moving up their with his family...if its true then I think this would be a very good pick up for the Titans...maybe a ballplaying lock???

Jason Smith wants to move north

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canberra's veteran playmaker Jason Smith says he will consider one last season with the Gold Coast if the NRL's new club is interested. Smith, who turned 34 on Tuesday, said he planned to move his family to settle on the Gold Coast when he finished at the Raiders at the end of this season. Gold Coast will enter the competition next year. "It would depend on how I felt later in the year and whether Gold Coast were interested in me," Smith said yesterday. "I'm pretty close to giving it away at the end of this season, but you never say never, just in case."
Gold Coast boss Michael Searle yesterday said that the club would look at their playing roster in the second half of this year before deciding whether to approach Smith.

Queenslander
03-06-06, 09:20 AM
First off welcome to the forums :hi:

And we already have a thread about Jason Smith and his possible move up to the Gold Coast.

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=2761&highlight=jason+smith

:)

Saint_Titan
03-06-06, 09:33 AM
Sorry, didnt see that one...any ways hope he plays 1 more year next year for GC, he would definately add another dimension in our attack and his experience would be invaluable...

on another quick note, is there a possibility GC could be looking at Luke Priddis come the June deadline. It says he is off contract in the pre season Big League and although we already have Friend, his existing combination with Preston will really help start the Titans off on the right foot.

Teegy
03-06-06, 09:43 AM
Welcome good to have another Dragons fan on the forum

Smith would be good for helping to teach and guide the players around onthe field. and priddis resigned a few weeks ago with penrith
http://www.panthers.com.au/default....3&ArticleID=120 or here you can find the resignings so far http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=990&page=9&pp=10

Queenslander
03-06-06, 09:43 AM
As for Luke Priddis we also have a thread on him too :laugh: any player that is coming off contract is pretty much linked to the titans and therefore has there own thread ;)

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=3362

But Priddis has resigned with the Panthers ;)

lonegull
15-06-06, 10:48 AM
Bunnies energise Smith for '07 Souths set to delay star's retirement
Peter Fitzgerald
Canberra times

Thursday, 15 June 2006

Injured Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith has revealed his "excitement" about the possibility of linking with the South Sydney Rabbitohs next year.
Speaking for the first time about his playing future, Smith told The Canberra Times he and his manager Sam Ayoub met with Souths chief executive Shane Richardson and coach Shaun McRae in Sydney on Monday prior to Canberra's victory over the Bulldogs that afternoon.

The Raiders last week granted Smith permission to negotiate with other clubs, with his contract in Canberra expiring at season's end.

Canberra will not offer the 34-year-old another deal.

Smith said that while he had "by no means finalised a deal" with the ailing Rabbitohs, he admitted they were a club he could see himself playing with in 2006.

Smith was impressed with what Richardson and McRae presented to him on Monday and said he would not rule out delaying his retirement by a further 12 months.

"The chat was just about the structure and set-up of the club and how it works but from what I heard, I've got only good things to say about it," he said.

"Souths are looking at guys like David Kidwell and Nigel Vagana, experienced players who could help take the club into the future and it excites me actually that I'm being talked about with them.

"If they buy those players it would really boost the side and I definitely wouldn't rule out joining them."

Smith had originally hinted at probable retirement after this season but admitted his desire to play one more season was stronger now than ever before.

"I've got to earn some money somehow next season," he said.

"My wife and I are not too keen on going back to Sydney but if it was only for one year then we would probably do it.

"If it puts our plans of moving to Queensland back one more year then I guess that's a sacrifice we might have to make."

Smith said last week he would be more inclined to play with the Gold Coast Titans than any other club next season because the club's base was a 30-minute drive from Billinudgel, where he had bought property.

But that opinion changed after his meeting with Souths.

Smith was yet to receive any approach from the Titans, but Gold Coast coach John Cartwright revealed off-contract Raiders forward Michael Hodgson was in the club's sights.

Canberra has given Hodgson, who has spent the past six years with the Raiders, permission to talk to other clubs prior to the NRL's June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

Cartwright confirmed he had had preliminary talks with Hodgson's manager Steve Gillis about a possible move north but said the club had not made an offer.

"I think he's a really good player and up until [Monday] when he got injured I thought he had been one of Canberra's best players in the past few weeks," Cartwright said.

Meanwhile, Raiders hooker Simon Woolford remains confident an announcement on his playing future will be finalised by week's end. St George Illawarra Dragons chief executive Peter Doust confirmed an offer had been made to Woolford but views differed on money. "Let's just say we're on the same page but different parts of the page," Doust said.

shavenjas
15-06-06, 01:51 PM
I honestly think any player that is only getting offers from the Titans & Souths speaks volumes of the quality of that player Smith, Peachey ect ect.
good in their day but dont waste your time.

Darren Lockyer
13-07-06, 03:12 PM
don't think we have enoguh money for him now with 22 quality signings

patskE
13-07-06, 03:29 PM
well if his moving up here and wants to play 1 more season
he would come cheap
would be great siging to have someone with his exp. to help the younger players in the new club
get him if we can i rkn

Darren Lockyer
14-07-06, 11:37 AM
but i reckon our main focus would be on Nate Myles and try and throw as much money at him as we can

Just Another Member
14-07-06, 11:50 AM
but i reckon our main focus would be on Nate Myles and try and throw as much money at him as we can
why? Titans forward pack is pretty strong whilst if they lose one of their playmakers their stuffed.

Social Loafer
14-07-06, 11:58 AM
don't think we have enoguh money for him now with 22 quality signings

So there's not enough money for a 35 year old chain smoking 5/8, yet there is enough to sign the hottest property in the League? :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
14-07-06, 12:19 PM
LOL I know.. :laugh:

Nah SERIOUSLY... Danny Weidler, although highly unreliable at the best of times... said last night on the Footy Show that the Titans are talking to Jason Smith this weekend and that the offer is quite generous... :)

So for all those who are still holding onto the tiniest glimmer of hope for Nate... if this comes true, as the Titans have been saying for the past week, the hope will be burnt out...unless no one else signs Nate... :laugh:

lonegull
14-07-06, 12:20 PM
LOL I know.. :laugh:

Nah SERIOUSLY... Danny Weidler, although highly unreliable at the best of times... said last night on the Footy Show that the Titans are talking to Jason Smith this weekend and that the offer is quite generous... :)

So for all those who are still holding onto the tiniest glimmer of hope for Nate... if this comes true, as the Titans have been saying for the past week, the hope will be burnt out...

yeah heard that on the Wielder report that thought bit of surprise

Darren Lockyer
14-07-06, 01:57 PM
So there's not enough money for a 35 year old chain smoking 5/8, yet there is enough to sign the hottest property in the League? :laugh:

Yes but i'd try and throw my money on a young player not an old fart who is only going to play one season

Social Loafer
22-07-06, 11:54 PM
Now I'm hearing Gold Coast might still be interested in Smith... Although I think he will probably be a Roosters, unless Matty Takes his favourite player to Penrith....

Deegan, you got any idea what's going on in regards to Smith?

Queenslander
23-07-06, 01:18 PM
It has been reported in today's Sunday Mail that the Titans are about to put forward an offer to Jason Smith, and chances are I think Smith will take it.

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 03:05 PM
He would be a good back up halves and can also play in the forwards.

lonegull
23-07-06, 06:59 PM
reports in the sunday telegraph that smith could be coming although the titans havent got much mire room under the salary cap would be a great signing gee he is getting better with age

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 08:14 PM
reports in the sunday telegraph that smith could be coming although the titans havent got much mire room under the salary cap would be a great signing gee he is getting better with age
I think the main thing is he wants to move up to the gold coast and he is willing to take a paycut to move up here.

RIP
23-07-06, 08:42 PM
Sad new 4 Cambell & Prince but I think we will have him. He's such an awesome player, A must have for most teams

patskE
23-07-06, 11:40 PM
be a good lock, a great leader i rkn
loads of exp which is needed in a new club

Dakink
24-07-06, 05:58 AM
I really really really hope we sign him - after watching him play v the Dragons yesterday he would be invaluable to players like Sandow coming through the ranks. He is smart on the field and with his experience he could play backrow or halves if needed, could even throw him in as hooker.

Titanium_BD1103
24-07-06, 09:14 AM
I want us to sign Smithy NOW... I know he's only got another season in him, but his experience would be invaluable to a side like the Titans... and he's a decent player too.. :)

Sign Smithy NOW Searle and Cartwright.... you can't go wrong... :D :D

Darren Lockyer
24-07-06, 01:25 PM
I want us to sign Smithy NOW... I know he's only got another season in him, but his experience would be invaluable to a side like the Titans... and he's a decent player too.. :)

Sign Smithy NOW Searle and Cartwright.... you can't go wrong... :D :D
He adds experience and size into the team and would be a good by

lonegull
24-07-06, 02:51 PM
one of the form footballers this year must get

Chaos
24-07-06, 08:52 PM
Theres a thread on the rleague Titans forums stating Jason Smith wants to play his last season for the Titans as he is moving up their with his family...if its true then I think this would be a very good pick up for the Titans...maybe a ballplaying lock???

Jason Smith, the man with great timing!
Prince and Smith working together would control a game so well...I want to see it happen!

5/8, lock...doesn't really matter at this stage as we can just start trialling combinations.
He could even interchange with somebody and just bring him on when needed.

Darren Lockyer
25-07-06, 08:13 AM
Jason Smith, the man with great timing!
Prince and Smith working together would control a game so well...I want to see it happen!

5/8, lock...doesn't really matter at this stage as we can just start trialling combinations.
He could even interchange with somebody and just bring him on when needed.
I reckon he should go lock and put campbell and princey in the halves. Then you have 3 kickers when it comes to last play.

DeeGan
25-07-06, 10:57 AM
Jason Smith will be signed primarily as a backrower and as a back up to our halves ... interesting. I think his preference will be in the halves at this stage of his career, if he gets a club willing to give him that chance, I think he will go there.

Time will tell.

Eel 33
25-07-06, 10:58 AM
Experience at a new club would be invaluable. The kids coming thru would learn so much from a man like him.

Just Another Member
25-07-06, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't put him in lock as he isn't fit enough to cope with the tackling. When he has to do lots of tackles in the last year and a half he has struggled. Now put that together with Preston's defensive weaknesses and you are starting to get a big problem.

And let me make it clear, There is no problem with his defence, it is just he can't do a lot of it. But I guess you could argue everyone else in the pack is hard workers which could make up for that but it will bite sooner or later.

Social Loafer
25-07-06, 02:08 PM
Looks like Cowboys have become the new favourites to get Smithy onboard for 2007.

If he went there he would play in the halves with Thurston.. That is potentially one deadly halves combination...

Queenslander
25-07-06, 02:13 PM
If he went there he would play in the halves with Thurston.. That is potentially one deadly halves combination...

It would be a great combo to have, but a horrible one to watch playing against you ;)

Presto Magic
25-07-06, 04:24 PM
Didn't the Cows already sign Nicolau from the Storm?

Queenslander
26-07-06, 05:19 PM
Titans play family card for Smith
By Daniel Pace
July 26, 2006

GOLD Coast hopes Jason Smith will choose a settled life with his family over a more lucrative offer from North Queensland when he decides his NRL future.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright tabled a one-year offer believed to be worth about $150,000 when they met the Canberra five-eighth's manager, Sam Ayoub, in Sydney today.

The Cowboys are understood to have offered Smith, 34, an extra $50,000 to head even further north next year.

Smith - the second-oldest player in the NRL behind Newcastle forward Craig Smith - is expected to announce his decision tomorrow.

"We think we've put a reasonable offer to him, one that's fair on both parties," Searle said.

The Titans' biggest selling point revolves around Smith building a house at Billinudgel, near Byron Bay in northern New South Wales, where he plans to retire from football.

But 2005 grand finalist North Queensland can guarantee the former Queensland Origin and Australia representative a starting spot for more money, an enticement that could prove irresistible.

Searle believes cash is not the main motivating factor for Smith, who enjoyed a lucrative stint with English Suoper League club Hull from 2001 to 2004.

"Jason's at a stage of his career where the coin isn't the most important thing," Searle said.

"We pitched really heavily that he's got a young family that is starting school next year.

"They're the sort of emotional issues that players are considering these days.

"It's a definite selling point going to a region and having the kids stay in a school for a number of years rather than relocate them regularly."

The Titans would use Smith off the bench or as a back-up half if they succeeded in signing him.

"He's one of the last really good ball-players in our game," Searle said.

"He's one those guys that can really dominate a game.

"He's like Wally Lewis in that he has the same sort of skills.

"They don't rush, and they're got a great football brain."

Raiders halfback Todd Carney meanwhile saidt the Titans would benefit more than the Cowboys from securing the scheming pivot's services

"I think Smithy would be great for the Titans because they'll have a new group of players who will want to go out there and prove a point straight away," Carney said.

"With Smithy there, he can slow it down and bring the team into a rhythm.

"That's the big thing with us and Smithy.

"He can slow the game down so we get back on track in what we've got to do. There's not many blokes who can do it."

AAP

Coaster
26-07-06, 05:27 PM
How will he go with the fitness thrown at him by Billy, will billy wait till he finishes his durry?

Darren Lockyer
26-07-06, 05:38 PM
Still $150 k in the nrl isn't bad for a 34 yr. old. I think he'll come to us for the lifestyle.

Titanium_BD1103
26-07-06, 05:39 PM
LOL Billy is use to it coaster... Barry Ward and Marty Bella liked to tuck into pies quite a bit when Billy was trainer at the Bulldogs..:laugh: :laugh:.. but he kept them in shape, I'm sure Jason will be no problem... :D :D

Roolander
26-07-06, 06:00 PM
Titans hoping Smith isn't 'chasing coin'
Email Print Normal font Large font July 26, 2006 - 4:56PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementThe Gold Coast Titans are hoping Jason Smith will choose a settled life with his family over a more lucrative offer from North Queensland when coming to a decision on his NRL future.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright have met with the Canberra five-eighth's manager Sam Ayoub in Sydney and tabled a one-year offer believed to be worth about $150,000.

It's understood the Cowboys have offered the 34-year-old Smith an extra $50,000 to head even further north next year.

Smith - the second-oldest player in the NRL behind Newcastle's Craig Smith - is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday.

"We think we've put a reasonable offer to him, one that's fair on both parties," Searle said.

The Titans' biggest selling point revolves around Smith building a house at Billinudgel, near Byron Bay in northern NSW, where he will retire from football.

But 2005 grand finalist North Queensland can guarantee the former Queensland Origin and Australian representative a starting spot for more money, an enticement which could prove irresistible.

Searle believes cash is not the main motivating factor for Smith, who would have been set up for life financially following his stint with English club Hull from 2001 to 2004.

"Jason's at a stage of his career where the coin isn't the most important thing," Searle said.

"We pitched really heavily that he's got a young family that is starting school next year.

"They're the sort of emotional issues that players are considering these days.

"It's a definite selling point going to a region and having the kids stay in a school for a number of years rather than relocate them regularly."

The Titans would use Smith as an impact player off the bench or a back-up half if they succeeded in signing him.

"He's one of the last really good ball-players in our game," Searle said.

"He's one of those guys that can really dominant a game. He's like Wally Lewis in that he has the same sort of skills.

"They don't rush and they've got a great football brain."

Raiders halfback Todd Carney felt the Titans would benefit more than the Cowboys from securing the scheming pivot's services.

"I think Smithy would be great for the Titans because they'll have a new group of players who will want to go out there and prove a point straight away," Carney said.

"With Smithy there, he can slow it down and bring the team into a rhythm.

"That's the big thing with us and Smithy. He can slow the game down so we get back on track in what we've got to do. There's not many blokes who can do it."

? 2006 AAP

DeeGan
26-07-06, 09:24 PM
Michael Searle likened the signing of Smith something like this when we spoke yesterday ...

" He is like the 8 year old horse?. Not as flash as the 4 years old but he sure knows how to get to the line a real winner ?. he has a very strong work ethic at training and is a leader of training in Canberra usually? "

Sold :D

Look, when it comes down to it, at the right price, we are crazy not to entertain the signing of Smith given the output over two seasons with Canberra. He has proven he is more than up to NRL level even at his age and will be a good contributor on and off the field.

titansroostersfan
26-07-06, 09:26 PM
Would be a great player for the titans but we just have to wait and se what happens in 2007.

Queenslander
27-07-06, 11:30 AM
Smith counsels Raiders mates
July 27, 2006

VETERAN five-eighth Jason Smith will seek the advice of his senior Canberra teammates before making a decision on whether to join North Queensland or the Gold Coast Titans next season.

Smith, 34, said today he will talk to his family and Raiders trio Clinton Schifcofske, Simon Woolford and Jason Croker before announcing a decision.

He admits he hasn't a clue which way he's leaning, but said the happiness of his family will be the overriding factor.

Although he will be signing a one-year deal, Smith hasn't ruled out playing in the NRL in 2008.

AAP

Social Loafer
27-07-06, 11:50 AM
Although he will be signing a one-year deal, Smith hasn't ruled out playing in the NRL in 2008.

If Smithy didn't smoke a pack a day he could play until 2012 :laugh:

IMO, he should go to the titans, going from Canberra's climate to the Goldcoast, but from Canberra to Townsville for someone like Smithy, the bloke would only play in 10 minute stints :laugh:

Eel 33
27-07-06, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know where he's going to yet?

Grimmace
27-07-06, 04:30 PM
Smith says wife to decide on his future

Jason Smith will seek the advice of his senior Canberra teammates and coaching staff before announcing a decision on whether to join North Queensland or the Gold Coast Titans for the 2007 NRL season.

But the 34-year-old five-eighth says the final call will come from his wife Janelle.

Smith told AAP on Thursday that the one-year offers from the Cowboys and Titans were similar financially and he would enjoy the lifestyles of both Townsville and the Gold Coast.

"More than likely my wife will make the decision," said Smith, who is building a house at Billinudgel, near Byron Bay in northern NSW.

"If your family is happy at home then it makes my job easier. All I do is go and play football and I don't have to worry about anything else.

"As soon as your family isn't happy, then it starts affecting your football.

"I don't even know where I want to go so that's probably why my wife will have a bigger bearing on where I end up than me."

Cowboys officials are pessimistic about the chances of securing the former Queensland Origin and Test player, despite the fact they're offering more money than the $150,000 package the Titans have tabled to his manager Sam Ayoub.

An experienced and clever player like Smith would be the perfect foil for gun halfback Johnathan Thurston, who's been forced to shoulder a huge load for the Cowboys this year.

Smith said he was still torn and would on Thursday seek the advice of departing Raiders Clinton Schifcofske (Queensland Reds), Simon Woolford (St George Illawarra) and Jason Croker (likely Les Catalans).

On Wednesday night, he spoke to former Bulldogs and Parramatta teammate Jim Dymock and will also talk to Raiders coach Matt Elliott and his assistant Wayne Collins.

"I've spoken to a few people about it but I've got no idea what I'll do, I swear to God," said Smith, who has three children.

"Both offers are close to each other in price so it's not an easy decision as far as money goes. It's more about where we'll be happy."

Woolford had no doubt Smith - the second-oldest player in the NRL behind Newcastle's Craig Smith - would play a dominant role for either club next year.

"He's very lucky that at this stage of his career he's got a decision to make," said the former Raiders skipper.

"For a lot of players his age, the decision is made for them.

"He's proven that age isn't necessarily a barrier for everybody."

Smith said there was a high chance he would continue playing into the 2008 NRL season when he would be 36 years old.

"As I've said to my manager, next year won't definitely be my last," Smith noted.

"If I still feel good, that'll be my yardstick on whether I go around again."

Source: AAP
Views: 2,661

DeeGan
27-07-06, 04:42 PM
A mate of mine in the NRL (no, not from the Titans) informed me the rumour doing the rounds this afternoon was that he was heading our (GC) way ...

Whatever the decision is, it will be made later in the afternoon or tomorrow I guess.

Crushers
27-07-06, 04:43 PM
Interesting, Cowboys are pessimistic, it looks like he will come! Will he be our utility of the bench then?

DeeGan
27-07-06, 04:47 PM
Interesting, Cowboys are pessimistic, it looks like he will come! Will he be our utility of the bench then?

I think he will be a player who can add some impact from the bench. Michael has said he will be a handy back up for the halves and if he joins the club, he will be playing in the back row. If that is the case, I can't see him starting there, I see him coming on after the softening up period lurking on the fringes as a extra ball player - similar to the role he played early in his career when in the back row.

The more I think about the signing, after being a little sceptical late last season, the more I am coming around to really wanting this to happen. Jason Smith is one of my favourite all-time players and it would be great to say he was once a Gold Coast Titan when his career is done. One of Queensland's greats finishing up in his home state - sounds good to me :D

Grimmace
27-07-06, 04:57 PM
if he came to the Gold Coast in 2007 and he wanted to go around again in 2008 do you think the Gold Coast should offer him another contract ?

DeeGan
27-07-06, 04:59 PM
if he came to the Gold Coast in 2007 and he wanted to go around again in 2008 do you think the Gold Coast should offer him another contract ?

That would be a bridge to cross this time next season - a lot can happen over the course of one NRL season. If mind and body are willing, I can't see why not if his form is on the board.

Darren Lockyer
27-07-06, 05:17 PM
Let's hope he signs with us first then we can worry about 2008

Queenslander
27-07-06, 09:10 PM
Bad news Titans fans, Jason Smith is getting on his high horse and becoming a Cowboy.

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=4778

Steve Dangerous
27-07-06, 09:33 PM
i don't think we should be signing players of his age anyway. gotta build.

DeeGan
27-07-06, 09:46 PM
Not to worry - I will slap my former in the head for giving me a dud "rumour" this afternoon :laugh:

At least we will get to see Jason Smith in the NRL again for at least one more season :D

Darren Lockyer
28-07-06, 08:03 AM
Who do you think we'll sign now?

titansroostersfan
28-07-06, 09:26 AM
It came down to money talks at the end of the day.

What players are left on the market.

Souths'n'Titans
28-07-06, 01:49 PM
Who do you think we'll sign now?
Capt. Charger

Social Loafer
28-07-06, 01:55 PM
Capt. Charger

I didn't even know he was off contract!

Darren Lockyer
28-07-06, 03:36 PM
Capt. Charger
whos he

mb63
28-07-06, 03:53 PM
This is a staggering decision considering he is building a property in the area to eventaually settle.He will now drag his family up to North QLD for a year or 2.Should have stayed at Canberra for another year.

Diehard Titan Fan
28-07-06, 03:53 PM
Did we really need Jason Smith? There would be a danger to me, of having too many chiefs and not enough Indians in the Titans lineup. Look at what has happened at the Roosters this year, with too many strong leaders in the halves, for their own good!

Darren Lockyer
28-07-06, 03:55 PM
yeah but he wouldn't be first choice here he would be back up and his age and his experience would of been good.

Steve Dangerous
29-07-06, 12:47 PM
well it aint a *huge* loss that we didn't get him. i mean he's obviously a class player, but we've got two strong halfs already with youth more on their side. cowboys however struggle to find the right partner for thurston, so it seems reasonable on their part.. even if it's only for a year.