PDA

View Full Version : Knights refuse Carney leave for Test

Super Cronk
26-05-06, 06:46 PM
SMH.com.au

Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway has launched a scathing attack on mid-season Tests after confirming the NRL club would refuse to release Great Britain winger Brian Carney for next month's clash with New Zealand in England.

Conway told AAP it would be unacceptable for Carney to miss two games for the Knights due to the travel demands if he played in the one-off Test against the Kiwis in St Helens on June 27.

"My understanding is that the Sydney clubs aren't releasing their Kiwi players for the game," Conway pointed out.

"Brian has expressed the view that he wants to play in all of our matches.

"That would mean playing Tuesday (in England) and flying back home to play on the weekend. Playing three league games in a week is too much for anybody.

"Coupled with all that flying, it would take him a month to get over it.

"If the game was part of an official Tri-Nations series then we'd certainly consider it but for a one-off Test match we think it's unreasonable."

Conway criticised the representative schedule, arguing the Test between Tri-Nations champion New Zealand and Australia earlier this month should never have been played.

The Kangaroos hammered the Kiwis 50-12 in Brisbane - a result which Conway believes has done more harm than good for international rugby league.

"That sort of programming runs the risk of taking away the attraction from the Tri-Nations series later in the year," said Conway.

"If you look at most of the one-off Tests out here they've been thrashings and it's indicative of the fact visiting teams aren't in a position to prepare for them."

The Sydney Roosters haven't taken the same hardline stance with Adrian Morley, with chief executive Brian Canavan confirming the intimidating prop would be allowed to play for Great Britain despite concern over his wrist and thumb injuries.

"He really wants to play in the Test and we're honoured to give him that chance because of the service he's given to our club," Canavan said.

The situation is not as problematic for the Roosters, who have a round 17 bye in the weekend after the Test, which Kiwi coach Brian McClennan says could become the equivalent of State of Origin for the combatants.

Conway said Carney understood Newcastle's stance on the issue.

"Like any other player he'd like to take part in the Test but he realises it's impractical without missing a couple of our games for us and he doesn't want to do that," Conway added.

The Kiwis will be missing Warrington captain Paul Rauhihi, who is facing a three-month lay-off with a back injury.

It's been a tough year for the 32-year-old. The former North Queensland prop tore a hamstring on his Warrington debut in February and was sidelined for six weeks.

Rauhihi will meet McClennan on Sunday to discuss the latest setback.

"It's massively disappointing and I'm really down," he said.

"I'm targeting a return in August. Whilst I'm injured I'll be there in the stands watching the boys."

Steelers
26-05-06, 06:57 PM
SMH.com.au

Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway has launched a scathing attack on mid-season Tests after confirming the NRL club would refuse to release Great Britain winger Brian Carney for next month's clash with New Zealand in England.

Conway told AAP it would be unacceptable for Carney to miss two games for the Knights due to the travel demands if he played in the one-off Test against the Kiwis in St Helens on June 27.

"My understanding is that the Sydney clubs aren't releasing their Kiwi players for the game," Conway pointed out.

"Brian has expressed the view that he wants to play in all of our matches.

"That would mean playing Tuesday (in England) and flying back home to play on the weekend. Playing three league games in a week is too much for anybody.

"Coupled with all that flying, it would take him a month to get over it.

"If the game was part of an official Tri-Nations series then we'd certainly consider it but for a one-off Test match we think it's unreasonable."

Conway criticised the representative schedule, arguing the Test between Tri-Nations champion New Zealand and Australia earlier this month should never have been played.

The Kangaroos hammered the Kiwis 50-12 in Brisbane - a result which Conway believes has done more harm than good for international rugby league.

"That sort of programming runs the risk of taking away the attraction from the Tri-Nations series later in the year," said Conway.

"If you look at most of the one-off Tests out here they've been thrashings and it's indicative of the fact visiting teams aren't in a position to prepare for them."

The Sydney Roosters haven't taken the same hardline stance with Adrian Morley, with chief executive Brian Canavan confirming the intimidating prop would be allowed to play for Great Britain despite concern over his wrist and thumb injuries.

"He really wants to play in the Test and we're honoured to give him that chance because of the service he's given to our club," Canavan said.

The situation is not as problematic for the Roosters, who have a round 17 bye in the weekend after the Test, which Kiwi coach Brian McClennan says could become the equivalent of State of Origin for the combatants.

Conway said Carney understood Newcastle's stance on the issue.

"Like any other player he'd like to take part in the Test but he realises it's impractical without missing a couple of our games for us and he doesn't want to do that," Conway added.

The Kiwis will be missing Warrington captain Paul Rauhihi, who is facing a three-month lay-off with a back injury.

It's been a tough year for the 32-year-old. The former North Queensland prop tore a hamstring on his Warrington debut in February and was sidelined for six weeks.

Rauhihi will meet McClennan on Sunday to discuss the latest setback.

"It's massively disappointing and I'm really down," he said.

"I'm targeting a return in August. Whilst I'm injured I'll be there in the stands watching the boys."

OMFG! The reason visiting teams aren't able to prepare for tests like this is because you stupid bloody CEO's won't release players for them! The only thing hurting International League is the fact that we never get to see a full side take on a full side!

Teegy
27-05-06, 10:01 AM
if your prepared to buy an interantional then you should be prepared to allow them to play the game.

i really hope Titans let their poms and kiwis (if we have any) go and play the international games

SuperCliffy#01
27-05-06, 11:58 AM
I think the Knights are right to refuse Carney a release, it happens in Soccer all the time, i think that the ESL and NRL should run their comps at the same time and then schedule internationals at the end of the respective seasons, thus there is no conflict of Club v Country, or is that to simple.cya. :afro:

Manly_Titan
27-05-06, 12:46 PM
I reckon its a bit harsh. A player's goal is to play for his country. I think Newcastle should let Brian play for his country. But gee, 3 games in 7 days !! WOW, he'd be buggered by weeks end. Anywayz, as previously stated, a full team fvs a full team would be nice on the odd occasion.

piXie
27-05-06, 12:54 PM
In my opinion your country comes before your club! But the thing is without a club you can't play for your country so its a difficult situation for the players let alone the CEOs! I think though its ridiculous not letting your internationals play for their country becuase you dont want them to be tired. If i was newcaslte Carney would be playing for britain then sitting out for the knights the next game if they think he is too tired. I hope the titans will let carney go home when he has national duties.

Dakink
27-05-06, 01:02 PM
I think the Knights are right to refuse Carney a release, it happens in Soccer all the time, i think that the ESL and NRL should run their comps at the same time and then schedule internationals at the end of the respective seasons, thus there is no conflict of Club v Country, or is that to simple.cya. :afro:

It doesnt hapen in Soccer all the time, if a club refuses to release a player for a sanctioned international then that player is suspended from the quivlent number of Premiership games.

SuperCliffy#01
29-05-06, 11:42 AM
It doesnt hapen in Soccer all the time, if a club refuses to release a player for a sanctioned international then that player is suspended from the quivlent number of Premiership games.

I already knew that but a club will refuse to release a player if as you indicated if it is internationally sanctioned match if not the the club has no obligations to release that player.cya. :box:

Eel 33
30-05-06, 03:23 PM
Sounds like another clause might be soon added into some players contracts to avoid this situation in the future.

mb63
12-06-06, 01:39 PM
Agree with the Knights decision.Rididulous to have a test over in England at this time of the year.

Steelers
12-06-06, 02:11 PM
Agree with the Knights decision.Rididulous to have a test over in England at this time of the year.

But yet it's not ridiculous to have a test here in Aus? Or its not ridiculous to have SOO? They need rep games, because they don't get any mid-season. We do. This is the best way for them to get more rep games and improve their International side.

Teegy
12-06-06, 02:16 PM
thing that bothers me about the knight decision is if carney was signed to them and off contract them they would let him go but because hes only their this season then they aren't