PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Eel Stringer forced into retirement

Queenslander
25-05-06, 01:05 PM
Eel Stringer forced into NRL retirement
Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Parramatta prop Paul Stringer has retired from the NRL after a routine scan revealed he had sustained a serious back injury.

Stringer will undergo surgery after it was discovered he had a bulging disk that is placing undue pressure on his spinal cord.

The 30-year-old played 143 first grade games for Parramatta, Norths, Northern Eagles and Souths.

"I'm obviously very disappointed for it to end this way, but at the same time I have a family to think about and the rest of my life ahead of me," Stringer said.

"I've had a terrific time in rugby league, especially the last couple of years at Parramatta, and still hope to be able to contribute off the field."

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said Stringer was well respected by everyone at the club.

"Paul had an immediate impact on everyone the moment he arrived at Parramatta and his professional approach to both training and playing has been duplicated throughout the club," he said.

"On behalf of everyone in rugby league I want to wish him all the best."

Parramatta coach Jason Taylor said Stringer will be sorely missed.

"I'm disappointed for Paul and I know that a player of his experience is hard to replace," he said.

"At the same time I want to thank him for his contribution to this club and we all wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Source: AAP

Teegy
25-05-06, 01:14 PM
sad way to end a good career. hope it all goes well for him

Super Cronk
25-05-06, 01:23 PM
Its sad alot of recent retiring players have been due to injury....shows you just how tough the sport is on these guys.

Dakink
25-05-06, 02:08 PM
Again I hate to see a player bow out through neck\back injuries. Good luck to the big unit.

mb63
25-05-06, 10:30 PM
He's made the right decision.Good he is looking at his future.

Helen
26-05-06, 12:32 PM
It is sad when a player has to go under such circumstances.

Nathan Brown is another example.

Stringer has made the right decision.

Helen

Titanium_BD1103
26-05-06, 12:39 PM
Paul Stringer was a great player and will be sorely missed by the NRL.. we wish you all the best Paul and for success in whatever you do in the future.. :)

Eel 33
30-05-06, 02:51 PM
Parra's forward pack had some mongrel in it when he was on the field, its a disappointment to see him bow out this way. All the best with your recovery Strings, you are already missed.