PDA

View Full Version : Gasnier to stay at dragons?

Super Cronk
25-05-06, 08:52 AM
The Dragons have called a press conference for 10:00 - 10:30 today to let everyone know whats happening with Gasnier....because the Dragons have called the meeting i think its safe to say Gas will be re-signing/re-signed with Dragons.

Titanium_BD1103
25-05-06, 08:59 AM
I would bet the house on it Super Cronk... I think they were just waiting for the Origin hype to die down and will announce it today with that super deal.. :D :D

Eel 33
25-05-06, 09:59 AM
Just heard on radio, Gasnier is staying with the Dragons for the next 5 years. Happy now Dragons fans???

Teegy
25-05-06, 10:00 AM
very as long as he isn't our new 5/8th

Dakink
25-05-06, 12:49 PM
Gasnier a Dragon to 2011
May 25, 2006

MARK Gasnier admitted today he was greatly tempted to switch to rugby union but his passion for St George-Illawarra persuaded him to sign a new five-year deal with the
The financial size of the Test centre's new deal was undisclosed, but Dragons chief executive Peter Doust says third-party sponsors are involved and it's been cleared by the NRL'S salary cap auditor.

Gasnier was heavily courted by the Australian Rugby Union, which had the lure of a possible 2007 Rugby World Cup berth in France.

But it recently withdrew its offer after Gasnier, a regular for the Australia rugby league international team, missed the most recent deadline to respond.

Gasnier said he only made his decision on Monday and went with his gut feeling, but he admitted the promise of a trip to the Rugby World Cup was hard to put out of his mind.

"This has been one of the biggest and most difficult decisions I have ever had to make and the close family and friends with whom I consulted understand the magnitude of the decision to me," Gasnier said.

"I was definitely interested in rugby union and the more I explored it the more it became a real option.

"But in the end loyalty to my club and rugby league, my passion for the Dragons and my desire for success with the Dragons, meant too much.

"Financially, I know rugby league has done its best and I am thankful."

Dragons coach Nathan Brown says Gasnier will replace skipper Trent Barrett at five-eighth from next season, when Barrett joins English Super League club Wigan.

AAP

Woo Hoo!!

Teegy
25-05-06, 12:57 PM
now the big decision. do we move gaz to 5/8 now?

i personally dont like the idea of him as 5/8th but this would be a good backline IMO

1)Hornby
2)Morris
3)Millard
4)Cooper
5)Best
6)Gaz
7)Barrett

id have that till Head is back then move Barrett to Lock

lonegull
25-05-06, 01:52 PM
I just heard he will play 5/8th next year

piXie
25-05-06, 01:55 PM
i heard part of his deal was to be the future captain also....

qld power
25-05-06, 01:59 PM
im super happy to hear hes staying in league i wouldnt have thought much of him playing origin then change codes next season

Dakink
25-05-06, 02:10 PM
MAte I am one Dragon fan that is stoked - I am also happy for him to play 5\8, the team structure and organisation will need to be altered, but that isnt a biggy. I was happy with how he went last night and think he will make a decent 5\8 and leader in the future if made captain.

Dragons
25-05-06, 04:17 PM
The Dragons have called a press conference for 10:00 - 10:30 today to let everyone know whats happening with Gasnier....because the Dragons have called the meeting i think its safe to say Gas will be re-signing/re-signed with Dragons.
I posted a note away back saying he would stay and that it would be announced after SOO 1 ( cant remember which thread though). I'm a happy little Dragon :)

Titanium_BD1103
25-05-06, 06:04 PM
Well done St-George Illawarra for keeping Gas at the Dragons... he will serve well as a captain in the future and is a great player who will keep on keeping on.. ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE.. :)

Dragons
25-05-06, 08:17 PM
I posted a note away back saying he would stay and that it would be announced after SOO 1 ( cant remember which thread though). I'm a happy little Dragon :)
Just came across it.It was in the gold coast titans thread ( off contracted player)

Steelers
26-05-06, 02:25 PM
5 years... Geez thats a bit much IMO. Look what has happened to Brent Sherwin after his 5 year deal. But good to see we have secured him. But still uneasy on him at 5/8

shavenjas
26-05-06, 02:35 PM
Not fishing here, but one thing i have noticed about Gaznier if he is going to play 5/8 is the fact that he can't pass, his passing game is not there, left or right. He is a great centre maybe the best in the game at the moment so why move him at all, same thing as what they did to Lockyer i recon.

DeeGan
26-05-06, 02:58 PM
Not fishing here, but one thing i have noticed about Gaznier if he is going to play 5/8 is the fact that he can't pass, his passing game is not there, left or right. He is a great centre maybe the best in the game at the moment so why move him at all, same thing as what they did to Lockyer i recon.

Gasnier's passing game does let him down and is something (with his kicking game) that he will have to improve on. When he went to five-eight earlier in the year I said 'any move that gets the ball more in to the hands of Mark Gasnier is a good one'...I still believe that and I think Brown must persist with him and the learning curve in 2007. Unfortunately, the Gasnier-haters of the world will not give him such time and he will be harshly marked when he falters.

I think Gasnier is clearly the best centre in the game, if Brown can come up with another five-eight between now and 2007, I think there is a strong enough case to leave him in the centres where he continually turns up and dominates his opponent.

If I was a Dragons fan, I am excited as Mark Gasnier looks excited about 2007 and beyond.

Steelers
26-05-06, 05:41 PM

For once I agree with you... he is the master at the flick pass but as a passer from the halves he isn't up to scratch. If the Dragons are going to have him at 5/8 next year then I really hope he improves on his passing abit more... combine that with his amazing running ability and you have yourself a 5/8 :p

~Wild Child~
27-05-06, 05:14 PM
Really happy that he has decided to stay with RL ..he really looks committed and has a great attitude.:clap: How happy are all the Dragons fans? :)