PDA

View Full Version : Dragons to off-load to stay under cap?

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 01:24 PM
ST GEORGE-Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust has confirmed his club would need to take immediate steps to get under the salary cap for next season.

A number of younger players have secured performance bonuses that were built into their contracts.

Those extra payments are carried forward to next year's cap.

Doust confirmed the Dragons have an issue but claimed the figure was not as high as $250,000.

"We are over the cap, but we'll be dealing with it once our campaign is over," he said while watching the young Dragons win yesterday's Jersey Flegg grand final.

Asked if he would have to let any players go to get under the cap, Doust said: "I've got no comment on that at the moment, we'll be dealing with it after the season is over."

There is speculation the club will have to release one of their big-name players with Bailey, Lance Thompson and Shaun Timmins all mentioned.

Foxsports,com.au

There was also an article in the SMH(i posted link in signings thread) that the melbourne storm will be looking to snatch ashton sims or lance thompson if they are realeased.

Steelers
03-10-05, 01:27 PM
I find it amazing how a team can be punished for having good depth.

DeeGan
03-10-05, 01:35 PM
I would release Shaun Timmins who is running on a pair of dodgy knees taking up a lot of cap room personally. Timmins still has something to offer though there is no chance Luke Bailey would be released and I think Thompson is a better player to keep long term as he still a tirless worker with no real injury concerns.

Steelers

This is the nature of the beast and how the salary cap works. A WHOLE NEW ARGUMENT that I haven't the time to start on today lol :)

The club develops the player, the player in turn performs well and the other clubs have every right to capitalise on the work of the club signing the youngster IF the 'mother' club if you will cannot fit their player in under the cap.

I am all for the salary cap, though I think we need to look at something where clubs do have some concessions put on their home grown stars who they put the time and effort in developing. For example, Matthew Johns should never have allowed to leave Newcastle though the Knights had their hand forced.

Again, a whole other thread right there lol :)

DeeGan

Steelers
03-10-05, 01:39 PM
This is the nature of the beast and how the salary cap works. A WHOLE NEW ARGUMENT that I haven't the time to start on today lol :)

The club develops the player, the player in turn performs well and the other clubs have every right to capitalise on the work of the club signing the youngster IF the 'mother' club if you will cannot fit their player in under the cap.

I am all for the salary cap, though I think we need to look at something where clubs do have some concessions put on their home grown stars who they put the time and effort in developing. For example, Matthew Johns should never have allowed to leave Newcastle though the Knights had their hand forced.

Again, a whole other thread right there lol :)

DeeGan

Your right it needs a bit of tweeking.

EDIT= I am also all for the salary cap

DeeGan
03-10-05, 01:45 PM
Your right it needs a bit of tweeking.

EDIT= I am also all for the salary cap

Steelers

I would advise you move well away from becoming the resident FORUM GRAMMAR NAZI if that is where your heading with the ending above. It will come back to bite you twice as hard ;)

Cheers

DeeGan

p.s. If this was not how the post was intended, ignore the above :)

Brycey
03-10-05, 03:04 PM
I am liking how the salary cap works right now overall. Without it, teams like the Tigers would not be in the position they are in.
But some exemptions need to be made to homegrown talent, though I think their should be a limit to how it is used. The best example of this would be to give a club $100,000 exemption for homegrown talent, to use it as they please. Much like the 10 veterans exemption.

I think it would reward clubs for producing homegrown talent but also keep the equality of the competition, call me biased because of my teams junior system; but I do not like the idea of teams who have a great demographic and geographic area having advantages over other clubs by implementing a system making all juniors exempt or have concessions.

A balance needs to be found, I think giving clubs a certain amount to utilise in any way they see fit for juniors is the best way to go. Other than that, the salary cap seems fine to me.

The Original Idiot
03-10-05, 04:10 PM
The salary cap makes a close and exciting comp. In European soccer, the Real Madrids & such buy all the best players, staying on top. It takes many years for a club to rise to the next level, whereas in NRL the Panthers did that in 1 season.

Inferno
03-10-05, 08:31 PM
If I had to release someone out of those 4 I'd definately be realising Timmons as well. Definately running on old legs and is easily replaceable with the depth they have.

Steve Dangerous
03-10-05, 09:15 PM
i think the state of the competition shows that the salary cap is working.

as for the dragons, yeah it's tough.. but it's just the way it is. they've got probably the best side on paper, so it seems reasonable that the salary cap squeezes a player or two out.

Titanium_BD1103
03-10-05, 09:44 PM
I think that the Dragons will off load either Thompson or Bailey, but probably Thompson.. they tried to off load him before, no chance they will try again.. :)

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 09:47 PM
The cap is working for sure...but it does get worrying when a team has to be forced to let go of juniors or let go off veterans of the team to stay under the cap...I think there has to be a concession on them etheir that or raise the salary cap.

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:13 PM
I think that the Dragons will off load either Thompson or Bailey, but probably Thompson.. they tried to off load him before, no chance they will try again.. :)

they wont let thompson go. he has been with st. george since way back when. they have bailey for 2006 before he comes to the titans, so he won't go. it will most likely be one of the bench players (Sims, Poore, Henderson)

Titanium_BD1103
03-10-05, 10:21 PM
Nope, there isn't enough money from that.. reports down here from Radio Station 2KY stated that on Sunday it would have to be from their super six...

those being.. and you would be well aware....

- Jason Ryles
- Lance Thompson
- Mark Gasnier
- Matt Cooper
- Luke Bailey
- Trent Barrett

So therefore it will most probably if it is one of them be Thompson, unless they release both Sims and Poore or Henderson, then they can come to the GC in 07.. :)

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:24 PM
Nope, there isn't enough money from that.. reports down here from Radio Station 2KY stated that on Sunday it would have to be from their super six...

those being.. and you would be well aware....

- Jason Ryles
- Lance Thompson
- Mark Gasnier
- Matt Cooper
- Luke Bailey
- Trent Barrett

So therefore it will most probably if it is one of them be Thompson, unless they release both Sims and Poore or Henderson, then they can come to the GC in 07.. :)

dam. that super 6 has served us well.

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 10:28 PM
Lets not forget that the dragons have lost Bryan Norrie, Nick Youngquest,Willie Manu , and Albert Torrens. Thats not ALOT of money there but its a decent amount of money...so if they did get rid of sims and a couple of young guys then they could fit under...or mabybe just release 1 of the "super 6".

Titanium_BD1103
03-10-05, 10:28 PM
Yeah I know... but that is what the radio said.. it was Hollywood and Zorba's show in Sydney... and they aren't normally too wrong... I really want to see St George Illawarra go well too.... :(... even though I am a Doggies supporter... :)

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 10:31 PM
Yeah I know... but that is what the radio said.. it was Hollywood and Zorba's show in Sydney... and they aren't normally too wrong... I really want to see St George Illawarra go well too.... :(... even though I am a Doggies supporter... :)

Im not saying you or the radio program is wrong..maybe they didnt take into account the dragons losses already?

doust has said the amount they are over is NOT over $250,000 ..so thats not too much to get rid off. Simms and a few youngsters plus the already leaving players should do it...ild think.

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:33 PM
we need a list of dragons current top 25 and when their contract is up.

Titanium_BD1103
03-10-05, 10:35 PM
Im not saying you or the radio program is wrong..maybe they didnt take into account the dragons losses already?

doust has said the amount they are over is NOT over $250,000 ..so thats not too much to get rid off. Simms and a few youngsters plus the already leaving players should do it...ild think.

That was never directed at you... just a general comment... sorry if it seemed that way... :)

Yeah, I think it is just below $250 000, but do you want to get rid of Sims and the youngsters who could be stars in the future, or do you get rid of one older player... i'd rather get rid of the one, that way you can build for the future... but that is just my opinion.. :)

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 10:37 PM
That was never directed at you... just a general comment... sorry if it seemed that way... :)

Yeah, I think it is just below $250 000, but do you want to get rid of Sims and the youngsters who could be stars in the future, or do you get rid of one older player... i'd rather get rid of the one, that way you can build for the future... but that is just my opinion.. :)

Thats a very valid point. But the old players are also the ones that attract younger players to the club...the dragons have a good junior system and im positive they could find more juniors.

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:37 PM

This is exactly why the salary cap needs a bit of tewaking. Veterans of one club should get a 20% reduction in thier salary cap value or something like that. if this were to happen, long time drag Lance Thompson could stay in his beloved 'Red V'

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:38 PM
Thats a very valid point. But the old players are also the ones that attract younger players to the club...the dragons have a good junior system and im positive they could find more juniors.

True. This can be seen by our performance at Jersey Flegg level. Winning the GF and beating Central Coast 102 - 0 along the way.

dan the man
03-10-05, 10:42 PM
You know what people are speculating those forwards. however i would not be suprised if they sell matty head..... i am not sure how much he is on.. however there was earlier spec. that melbourne wanted him... anyway i think there is a half position vacant at the titans 2007.... hmmm good kicker in play... i guess he will go and maybe another couple.. i do not want lance to go.. he is a club man and a toiler.. very much like skando he deserves a premiership.... secondly bull bailey... he is their best on paddock.... and timmo another club man. thick and thin with the steelers. i think matty head and a few will take pay cuts all round to slot em in........it is true the dragons have to pay for their talent and honesty.

dan

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:49 PM
You know what people are speculating those forwards. however i would not be suprised if they sell matty head..... i am not sure how much he is on..

i dont really see that happening. they let firman go to keep head, and to let head go after 1 year at the top grade would just make them look silly. he is only young(ish) and is a future great halfback (may not be origin material but will be an awesome club player)

The Original Idiot
04-10-05, 11:18 AM
^Or maybe they'll keep the Hornby-Greenshields combo, leaving no room for Head.

Inferno
04-10-05, 12:44 PM
^Or maybe they'll keep the Hornby-Greenshields combo, leaving no room for Head.

I doubt that would happen, Greenshields is not a long term prospect, he only signed for a year and is most likely headed to the Titans.

I would think they would release Greenshields before Head or Hornby. Especially as he most likely won't see much First Grade next year with Head and Hornby both fit.

League Freak
04-10-05, 02:21 PM
I would look to get rid of Jason Ryles.

Alot of money for a NSW version of Dane Carlaw.

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 03:30 PM

thing is tho if you get rid of ryles....come 2007 they wont ryles and bailey and thats 2 of their best props. And thompson doesnt have alot of years left ethier.

Steelers
04-10-05, 05:24 PM

He is alot better tha dane carlaw, and jason ryles isn't a reserve grade quality player like dane is.

Steelers
04-10-05, 05:25 PM
thing is tho if you get rid of ryles....come 2007 they wont ryles and bailey and thats 2 of their best props. And thompson doesnt have alot of years left ethier.

exactly right

ridgey
04-10-05, 07:56 PM
ryles is ian roberts re-incarnated,big,tough but injury prone.

Steelers
04-10-05, 07:58 PM

he hasn't got injured for a while now

ridgey
04-10-05, 08:00 PM
he hasn't got injured for a while now

his hamstrings are shot,1 went in the semi against the tiges

Steelers
04-10-05, 08:02 PM
his hamstrings are shot,1 went in the semi against the tiges
they ain't quite shot yet but it did get a niggle during that game. he is only young (surprisingly)

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 08:03 PM

i thought you were going to say something else then...LOL

ridgey
04-10-05, 08:06 PM
how did i know that would come up!no i don't know ryles's sexual preferences!

j85
06-10-05, 08:36 PM
well i havent heard about this however i would find it very hard to offload any of the above players, however the top of the list would have to be timmins
8-Bailey
9-Ennis
10-Ryles
11-Creagh
12-Thompson
13-Young
it still leaves a very strong forward pack and with sims/poore/payne/greenshields being my bench

however this does suck that guys like thompson/timmins on the chopping block when they have served there club over a long period of time and then forced to go because the juniors coming through are really good. Thats the only bad thing about the salary cap

Steelers
06-10-05, 08:42 PM
Thats the only bad thing about the salary cap

true that.