PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis want annual Test with Lions

Queenslander
24-05-06, 02:18 PM
Kiwis want annual Test with Lions
By Laine Clark
May 24, 2006

A MID-season Test between New Zealand and Great Britain could become their equivalent of State of Origin, Kiwis coach Brian McClennan says.

McClennan wants next month's New Zealand-Great Britain showdown in England to become an annual event, providing top-line representative competition to help maintain pressure on revitalised world champion Australia.

The Kangaroos tore the No.1 tag off Tri-Nations series champion New Zealand with this month's 50-12 win in Brisbane.

McClennan confirmed Kiwis players would be credited with Test caps for their appearance in the June 27 game at St Helens, ending speculation over the match's status sparked when NRL clubs did not make any of their international players available.

Great Britain players Adrian Morley (Sydney Roosters) and Brian Carney (Newcastle) are expected to play.

"This has become a very important part of our build-up for the Tri-Series," McClennan told the Super League website.

"Great Britain and New Zealand need them if we are to be more competitive against Australia, who have the State of Origin series to hold their national team in good stead.

"There's a chance for all the boys playing here but we've got to make sure that we pick players who can play for us in the Tri Series or in the World Cup so we're going to be pretty ruthless about it."

McClennan is in England to run the rule over potential selections but has already ruled out former Kiwis half Henry Paul, who has recently returned from a three-season rugby union stint.

Paul, 32, played 23 Tests for New Zealand before switching codes and earning six caps for England thanks to an English grandparent.

"We want to compete really well in this match but we've also got to get our future right for the Kiwis," he said.

McClennan said he would take in games at Bradford, Wigan and Warrington before flying back to Auckland on Monday (AEST).

The Kiwis look strong despite being without its NRL stars with Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Paul Rauhihi (Warrington), Motu Tony (Hull), Stacey Jones (Catalans), David Solomona (Wakefield) and Ali Lauitiiti (Leeds) fit to play.

Also in contention are Jason Cayless (St Helens), Lesley Vainikolo (Bradford), Iafeta Paleaaesina (Wigan), Vinnie Anderson, Francis Meli (St Helens) and Logan Swann (Warrington).

AAP

Teegy
24-05-06, 02:29 PM
finally they have realised that the SOS is QLD v's NSW and that NZ and GB players shouldn't be allowed to be included. i think this would be awesome to see GB v NZ as a annual contest

Steelers
24-05-06, 02:53 PM
I still think that ALL players should be made available for ALL internationals no matter what their club says.

Teegy
24-05-06, 02:54 PM
I still think that ALL players should be made available for ALL internationals no matter what their club says.
i gree. id have a 3 match series on the friday beforethe SOO. and give the teams a bye that weekend

Kallan
24-05-06, 04:11 PM
I am all for it, gives the kiwi players more representative games.

DIEHARD
24-05-06, 06:13 PM
This is what needs to happen.

This test match needs to be a regular fixture in the calender. And it needs to be worked into the draw in both hemispheres.

The Kiwis also need a mid year test, that they can develop into their own tough encounter.

The Aussies have SOO which gives us a massive advantage over other nations, this will really help both NZ and GB&I.

The nation benefiting most may be New Zealand, with the Anzac Test and Mid Year Test under their belt before any end of season tournaments.

It will also solidify the involvement of XXXX in our international game, another blue chip.