PDA

View Full Version : Rd 12: Broncos vs Bulldogs

Queenslander
23-05-06, 03:59 PM
Brisbane Broncos vs Canterbury Bulldogs
Saturday May 27; Suncorp Stadium; 7.30pm

Referee: Steve Clark

Team Notes:

Broncos: Brad Thorn will make a rare starting appearance for the Ergon Energy Broncos after star prop Shane Webcke was today ruled out of Saturday night?s clash against Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium.

Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, David Stagg, Shaun Berrigan and Sam Thaiday are all backing up after origin.

Star prop Shane Webcke (rib) could be a late inclusion after throwing his weight around at training today following his omission yesterday.

Captain Darren Lockyer and centres Justin Hodges and Brent Tate will have to pass fitness tests tomorrow before being cleared to back up against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

Lockyer and Tate passes fitness test, Hodges out for at least 4 weeks; Webcke is back in the squad
Bulldogs: Billy Ngawini, Jarrad Hickey and Dallas McIlwain will go back to premier league. Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan and Nate Myles are all on SOO duty this week.

Matt Utai has taken the early plea for striking and will miss 2 weeks, Cameron Phelps has taken Utai's place in the starting line-up

Broncos:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Tame Tupou
3. Shaun Berrigan (Justin Hodges: Out due to injury)
4. Brent Tate
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Shane Perry
8. Shane Webcke
9. Ian Lacey
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. David Stagg
12. Corey Parker
13.Tonie Carroll

Interchange:
14. Brad Thorn
15. Ben Hannant
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Brett Seymour.

Coach: Wayne Bennett

Bulldogs:

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Sonny Bill Williams
4. Willie Tonga
5. Cameron Phelps
6. Daniel Holdsworth
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Corey Hughes
10. Roy Asotasi
11. Willie Mason
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Tony Grimaldi

Interchange:
14. Reni Maitua
15. Chris Armit
16. Brad Morrin
17. Nate Myles

Queenslander
23-05-06, 04:02 PM
Webcke out
by Scott Dickson
Tuesday May 23, 2006

BRAD Thorn will make a rare starting appearance for the Ergon Energy Broncos after star prop Shane Webcke was today ruled out of Saturday night?s clash against Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium.

Webcke is still struggling with the 2-4 week rib cartilage injury suffered against Manly Saturday week ago despite performing field sessions with the squad in the past week.

It means Petero Civoniceva will be joined in the front-row by Thorn who has not started since playing second-row alongside Darren Smith in last year?s semi-final loss to Wests Tigers.

Hindered by near demotion in round 1 and a four-week knee injury, the 2005 Queensland Origin forward has been unable to win back his second-row spot from Dane Carlaw, Corey Parker and David Stagg.

With the club?s seven Queensland Origin stars named to back-up, Thorn?s promotion is one of four changes to the side which beat the Sea Eagles before last weekend?s bye.

Shane Perry, who missed round 10 because of a knee problem, has regained his halfback spot despite new 18th man Brett Seymour impressing in his absence after five weeks in the Queensland Cup with Toowoomba.

First-choice fill-in hooker Casey McGuire also returns from a pectoral muscle injury, meaning Shaun Berrigan moves back to the bench after starting at rake against Manly.

Berrigan is joined on the bench by prop Ben Hannant, utility forward Sam Thaiday and young lock/five-eighth Greg Eastwood.

Thaiday, Berrigan, Civoniceva and fellow Maroons Darren Lockyer, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges and David Stagg are all likely to play two games in four days if they come through tomorrow night?s series opener unscathed.

from www.broncos.com.au

Super Cronk
23-05-06, 04:06 PM
The big fella deserves a rest!!

Btw i added the doggie sside QLD'er..hope ya dont mind ;)

Queenslander
23-05-06, 04:07 PM
The big fella deserves a rest!!

Btw i added the doggie sside QLD'er..hope ya dont mind ;)

Yeah Webcke is doing the hard yards and deserves as much time as he can get off. And thanks supercronk I have been looking everywhere for their team but couldnt find it ;)

Dakink
23-05-06, 04:08 PM
ill wait till after SOO to state who I think will win.

Titanium_BD1103
23-05-06, 04:17 PM
LOL Queenslander... Bulldogs website releases the team and it doesn't normally come out till 4pm... :)

2 very good sides there... but like Dakink said... this will come down to who can come out of SOO better... at the moment I say Bulldogs in a close one.. but I will repost after Wednesday night.. ;)

Kallan
23-05-06, 06:12 PM
I Can't say who i think will win until after the origin. I thought Seymour played well last week, but Perry is back... Hope Perry plays well.

MonaroMan
23-05-06, 08:20 PM
I reckon the Broncos it will be tight, but Broncos will win :D The Bulldogs' three most important forwards will be tired from origin, Mason, O'Meley and Ryan...

Titanium_BD1103
23-05-06, 08:21 PM
LOL and so is Lockyer and Civonceva... ;)

All will be back for this game though don't forget and Willie and Mark showed that they can play well after a big game... actually they play better.. :D

Coaster
23-05-06, 08:26 PM
I think all rep players play better after a big game.

It about being against the best, then being against the rest.

I predict the Broncos in a tight one, will be a great game

Titanium_BD1103
24-05-06, 02:44 PM
Queenslander: Can you edit the Team notes at the Top to include the following.. thanks.. :)

- Matt Utai has taken the early plea for striking and will miss 2 weeks, Cameron Phelps has taken Utai's place in the starting line-up.

Queenslander
25-05-06, 12:40 PM
Playing Tate no gamble
by Scott Dickson
from broncos.com.au
Wednesday May 24, 2006

THE Ergon Energy Broncos insist they are not risking a continuation of Brent Tate?s injury prone season after naming the underdone Queensland centre to back-up in round 12?s top of the table clash.

The Test star faces the strenuous task of battling NSW in tonight?s Origin series opener in Sydney before opposing Canterbury?s Test forward-turned-centre Sonny Bill Williams three days later at Suncorp Stadium.

?We (coaching and medical staff) think Brent should not have any problems backing up as he has had 10 days without a game,? Broncos assistant coach Ivan Henjack said today.

?The issue with Brent was he was always going to improve physically over time, and the long break between games would have greatly assisted him.?

Tate has played only two matches this year after returning three rounds ago against Newcastle following pre-season right ankle surgery.

He is yet to resume full training after prematurely finishing field sessions in the past week under Maroons coach Mal Meninga.

Pushing Tate spells danger, considering the 23-year-old suffered left Achilles tendonitis at training when trying to do too much in the lead-up to his expected return from injury match in round 7 against Penrith.

During round 10 prior to Origin selection, coach Wayne Bennett urged Queensland selectors to avoid picking Tate because he was not physically ready.

But Bennett will most definitely play Tate against the Bulldogs if he dodges serious injury tonight.

?We will monitor him after Origin and if the ankle pulls up sore then we will look at it then,? Henjack said. ?But we are confident if he gets through tonight there will be no risk in playing him on Saturday.?

Tate and fellow Maroons Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges, Shaun Berrigan, David Stagg and Sam Thaiday will be assessed at the Broncos pre-match session on Friday morning.

?Our medical staff will monitor them before training and if they are feeling great they will train with the main squad,? Henjack said.

?But if they are sore they may be asked to pass a fitness test before they are cleared to play.?

As cover, young forwards Nick Kenny and Neville Costigan, and teenage wingers Leon Bott and Gideon Mzembe all trained with the top squad this morning after being named for Toowoomba yesterday.

Costigan returned from a round 2 knee injury last weekend for the Clydesdales and is set to force his way back into first-grade within a month.

Star prop Shane Webcke (rib) could be a late inclusion after throwing his weight around at training today following his omission yesterday.

Injuries and fatigue to the club's Origin players could determine whether Webcke plays.

Halfback Shane Perry trained strongly as he prepares to return from a knee injury, meaning 18th man Brett Seymour is likely to return to the Queensland Cup.

?The knee felt good today and I should be right to go,? Perry said.

Perry?s opposite number on Sunday will be Brent Sherwin, who he partnered in the halves during his 2000-01 stint at Canterbury where he mainly played reserve grade.

After being dropped earlier in the season before suffering a broken hand, Sherwin returned to the Bulldogs line-up last weekend in the 32-24 win over Cronulla.

?Brent is a great player and I believe Canterbury are at their best when he is in the number seven jersey,? Perry said.

The Broncos and Bulldogs are equal first on 16 ladder points but sit fourth and fifth respectively.

Super Cronk
25-05-06, 12:44 PM
Now sure if he will play now after what happened last night.

Go_The_Doggies
25-05-06, 04:06 PM
Gutted about Billy being dropped...Billy is awesome.

Hope the Dogs shut down those ponies...eh Nikki:) :thumbsup:

[BroncosGirl]
25-05-06, 05:12 PM
Gutted about Billy being dropped...Billy is awesome.

Hope the Dogs shut down those ponies...eh Nikki:) :thumbsup:

:rotflmao: Wait, dont you mean Hope those mighty Broncos shut down those puppies ;)

I don't really know who will win, Iguess it depends who plays and who doesn't. Backing up isn't an issue imo, because the players fromboth sides taht are, is perfectly capable and will still have good games.

Queenslander
25-05-06, 05:36 PM
Broncos trio in doubt
By Wayne Heming
May 25, 2006

BRISBANE captain Darren Lockyer and centres Justin Hodges and Brent Tate will have to pass fitness tests tomorrow before being cleared to back up against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

Tate spent last night in hospital under observation after passing blood in his urine following the State of Origin game at Telstra Stadium.

He had scans and tests and will know more tomorrow about any internal injuries sustained in Queensland's 17-16 loss.

Lockyer meanwhile bruised his ribs and sustained a cut eye, and Hodges hurt a hamstring.

Hodges was limping today, but he was unsure whether he had strained or partially torn the muscle.

Brisbane forward Petero Civoniceva was also nursing a broken nose, a legacy of the battering dished out by the Blues forwards led by Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley, who will oppose him again at the weekend.

Brisbane has named all seven players who took park in last night's Origin in the squad to play the Bulldogs.

But Lockyer is uncertain about his chances of being able to back up.

"I'll have to see how I am in another 24 hours, and how the ribs are," he said.

If Lockyer is ruled out at training tomorrow, Brett Seymour could slip into the five-eighth role or powerful teenager Greg Eastwood could make his starting debut.

Eastwood could even play in the centres if either Hodges or Tate pull out.

While Lockyer is fairly hopeful of playing, Hodges is struggling as the injury, if aggravated further, could put him out for several weeks.

David Stagg, Sam Thaiday and Shaun Berrigan appeared confident of playing against the Bulldogs.

AAP

DIEHARD
25-05-06, 05:42 PM
Reminds me to get a ticket for this game.

Come on Brisbane Broncos, we all need some revenge, you can be the instrument of our vegence! :box:

Titanium_BD1103
25-05-06, 06:06 PM
LMAO... If those 3 are out.. revenge will be the last thing on their minds.. :laugh:

I say Bulldogs will do really well because it was our forwards that set up the game last night for NSW, oh and O'Donnell. Mason, O'Meley, Ryan all had whalers of a game and if they can perform like that on Saturday.... nothing will stop us.. :)

Queenslander
25-05-06, 06:21 PM
So far Hodges is the only player ruled out, he is expected to be out for 4 weeks and will miss SOO game 2

[BroncosGirl]
25-05-06, 06:29 PM
Poor Hodges, I hope he ends upnot missing S.O.O 2. Even though expected to, you never know ;) :p

Go_The_Doggies
25-05-06, 07:03 PM
Damit, i dont want hodges to miss the 2nd s.o.o :(

Titanium_BD1103
26-05-06, 01:53 PM
Well its just Hodges out for the Broncos... everyone will play.. ;)

Qld Origin players back up for Broncos
Friday, 26 May 2006.

Broncos centre Brent Tate will line up for the Brisbane side in Saturday night's National Rugby League clash against the Bulldogs despite spending a night in a Sydney hospital after Wednesday's State of Origin game.

The Queensland player was hospitalised after urinating blood following the match but was released on Thursday morning after scans cleared him of any serious injury.

Tate is one of three of the Broncos' Origin stars who will back up at Lang Park on Saturday.

Captain Darren Lockyer has been cleared to play despite complaining of rib pain after the Origin loss while Petero Civoniceva will take the field with a broken nose.

However their Maroons' team-mate Justin Hodges has a hamstring tear and will be sidelined for at least three weeks.

Prop Shane Webcke has recovered from a rib injury quicker than expected and will line-up tomorrow night.

[BroncosGirl]
26-05-06, 02:19 PM
Good news, cept for Hodgo of course. Hm I hope Webcke isnt rushing back. I cna't wait to see Lacey start :)!

Queenslander
28-05-06, 09:14 AM
FINAL SCORE

Broncos: 25
Tries: Toupu 2, Berrigan, Boyd , Lockyer
Goals: Parker 2
Field Goals: Lockyer

Bulldogs: 6
Tries: Maitua
Goals: El Masri

Queenslander
28-05-06, 09:17 AM
:thumbsup: Great results for the Broncos, they seem to be improving every game. And its an even better victory considering it was after SOO.

Go_The_Doggies
28-05-06, 09:41 AM
Didnt watch the game, mum was watching warriors.

I hear every dog played bad except for reni.

Ohwell we needed to lose sometime, it will do us better in the long run, and it will fire the boys up for next week against the Knights.

Titanium_BD1103
28-05-06, 10:01 AM
Agreed there Kimmeh... it was disappointing to lose but I guess a bit better considering I didn't watch or see anything of the match either.. :lol!:

Reading reports and hearing the news this morning.. the boys seemed like they were tired from SOO and lacking in intensity... but I guess that happens sometimes... the fact that Folkesy wasn't too critical I think shows this is just an off week... looking forward to the Knights... should be a great clash.. :)

Well done to Brisbane though... stronger performances from Lockyer and Tupou were the key and they looked good from what I saw on the news this morning.. the leaders and deservedly so ATM... :)

[BroncosGirl]
28-05-06, 10:08 AM
Woooot! How good was the game ;):)!!

Very impressed with both attack and defence from Broncos tonight, take abow boys!! Berro's marking of SBW was fantastic, and Mason had nothing!!!

But Parker, whats going with goalkicking, eh he hadn't done it for awhile I spose :)!! But had a fantastic game, as did Hunt, btoh pushing their claims for origin.

HodgoBerro
29-05-06, 01:08 PM
Berro was on fire on saturday!
the form slup looks liket its nearly over! Its looking like we got our Super Berro back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Apparently i was heard screaming in the western stand when he got MOTM too....

Corey was off in the kicking department - why wasn't locky put in as kicker when he missed the 3rd attempt at goal is something i'd like to know!

its looking like tate could be out for a few with an ankle problem as i saw him scream when he got tackled in the dying minutes

its a concern as WB had mentioned previously that some forwards might have start in the centres.
We all remember fondly the carlaw/tupou centre wing combo a few years back....lol

So impressed to see that shaun berrigan has made an outstanding improvement in the last few games. he's obviously started to step up as a player and person and i have seen a big improvement in the last month.

Dakink
29-05-06, 01:13 PM
why wasn't locky put in as kicker

LOL We have all sen Lockys attempts at kicking - Let him concentrate on his playing.

HodgoBerro
29-05-06, 01:16 PM
exactly he could do a better job