PDA

View Full Version : world trade centre movie

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 09:26 PM
here is a link to the world trade centre film with nicholas cage in it...directed by oliver stone.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/large.html

looks pretty good IMO.

Steve Dangerous
22-05-06, 09:43 PM
watched the trailer... and hmmm. i get a bad vibe from it. it seems very hollywood and american-glorified. i think it's way too soon to be making movies like this, but if they are i'd have prefered it to be realistic and potray the devistation and impact of it all rather than the 'american hero' story. it seems kinda distasteful to me. much in the way 'pearl harbor' glossed over the reality of it.

i just hope they're at least contributing a significant amount of the profits to something... if hollywood types are cashin in off this story i have a bad taste in my mouth.

broncos_cow_girl
22-05-06, 09:51 PM
it seems very hollywood and american-glorified. i think it's way too soon to be making movies like this, but if they are i'd have prefered it to be realistic and potray the devistation and impact of it all rather than the 'american hero' story... if hollywood types are cashin in off this story i have a bad taste in my mouth.

Definitely agree - it does seem a bit too soon to be making a movie, who knows how many people are even still grieving their losses; but seeing as they are I would much prefer to see as close to reality as possbile - no matter how 'un-hollywood' that might be...and I certainly hope the profits are going to a good cause

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 10:29 PM
When will it be time to make these films tho? Noone will ever forget about it and those involved will feel the pain and loss forever...

Steve Dangerous
22-05-06, 10:48 PM
well you can't really put any set timeframe on it.

but i don't think you should approach topics like this unless you're going to do it seriously and realistically.. and try to remain relatively objective. i thought munich did a reasonable job at it. this looks like almost an american PR exercise... the police seemed almost emotionless and just not real. there doesn't seem to be much focus on the human side of things, more hero stereotyping.

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 10:55 PM
well you can't really put any set timeframe on it.

but i don't think you should approach topics like this unless you're going to do it seriously and realistically.. and try to remain relatively objective. i thought munich did a reasonable job at it. this looks like almost an american PR exercise... the police seemed almost emotionless and just not real. there doesn't seem to be much focus on the human side of things, more hero stereotyping.

So these 2 guys in real life that survived arent heros? And shouldnt be portrayed as heros for risking their lives for others but then being caught up when the buildeings collpased only to survive...

I understand what your saying...but it is a true story which yes focuses on the attacks etc but is also a story about 2 real life heros....i think the trailer only focuses on the hero aspect but apprently the film goes into detail alot about the attacks etc.

I dont think you can put a timeframe on it ethier....its ethier you think its to early...then dont go see it, and perhaps buy the dvd when you feel the time is right or you think going to the film may help in healing and dealing with it then go see it.

Steve Dangerous
22-05-06, 11:19 PM
they should be shown as they are in real life. not as superhuman or glossy patriotic rubbish. just real people in extrodinary circumstances. show the human side of it not the fictionalised side.

it's not about when the 'time is right for me' i just think it's a bit of a cash-in on something terrible, and an exercise in boosting american pride.

DIEHARD
22-05-06, 11:40 PM
I think it has been a decent amount of time since the event, 5 years.

Someone was going to make a screen version sooner or later. I think this version won't turn out too badly and it could have been far worse with other production houses involved.

I dont think we can comment if its realistic or glorified until we see the movie.

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 11:43 PM
I think it has been a decent amount of time since the event, 5 years.

Someone was going to make a screen version sooner or later. I think this version won't turn out too badly and it could have been far worse with other production houses involved.

I dont think we can comment if its realistic or glorified until we see the movie.

Or unless we meet the actual men that it happened to. Maybe they are portrayed exactly like they are in real life.

DIEHARD
22-05-06, 11:50 PM
Or unless we meet the actual men that it happened to. Maybe they are portrayed exactly like they are in real life.

On the official website there is a trailer with the two actual men being interviews intercut with still shots of the movie.

Not sure if that is in the other trailer, I couldn't load the one off the apple site.

I think the events of 911 made hereos out of a lot of people and you couldn't glorify what they did anymore if you tried. I think this is one of these stories.

Queenslander
23-05-06, 08:13 AM
I am also worried that it may be too soon for a 9/11 movie, however after seeing the trailer I have changed my mind.

Kallan
23-05-06, 04:51 PM
I am also worried that it may be too soon for a 9/11 movie, however after seeing the trailer I have changed my mind.

So was I, but It should be ok, though there is always going to be an arguement over a movie like this ever being created.

Steve Dangerous
23-05-06, 05:49 PM
yeah it's always gonna be a bit of a contentious issue.

I guess focusing on the cops makes it a fair bit less controversial though.

broncos_cow_girl
23-05-06, 09:53 PM
Regardless of how it is portrayed, i'm sure it will be interesting none the less & a good watch (just like Pearl Harbor :))

SuperCliffy#01
24-05-06, 11:11 AM
You guys miss the point Americans never portray the real story base solely on facts, it needs drama and above all hero worship and the good ol' red white and blue patriotic symbolism, this is a movie not a documentary, facts have nothing to do with it.cya. :satan:

broncos_cow_girl
24-05-06, 02:04 PM
You guys miss the point Americans never portray the real story base solely on facts, it needs drama and above all hero worship and the good ol' red white and blue patriotic symbolism, this is a movie not a documentary, facts have nothing to do with it.cya. :satan:

What's the point of 'basing' a movie on a real sitution, if it doesn't actually portray what happened? I believe facts should definitely be involved, even though naturally with a movie, it will need to be 'played up' a little.

SuperCliffy#01
26-05-06, 04:39 PM
What's the point of 'basing' a movie on a real sitution, if it doesn't actually portray what happened? I believe facts should definitely be involved, even though naturally with a movie, it will need to be 'played up' a little.

Look if you want i'll give you an example, there is a movie called U-571 in that movie the americans claim it was factual and that an american destroyer in the north atlantic ocean had crippled U-571 forcing it to the surface and they boarded the U-Boat and found the Enigma Code machine and turned the tide of the war, one problem U-571 was sunk by an Royal Australian Air Force Sunderland flying boat in the North Sea, the allies had gotten the Enigma device in 1938 by the Polish Underground.cya. :disgust:

Queenslander
26-05-06, 05:26 PM
Look if you want i'll give you an example, there is a movie called U-571 in that movie the americans claim it was factual and that an american destroyer in the north atlantic ocean had crippled U-571 forcing it to the surface and they boarded the U-Boat and found the Enigma Code machine and turned the tide of the war, one problem U-571 was sunk by an Royal Australian Air Force Sunderland flying boat in the North Sea, the allies had gotten the Enigma device in 1938 by the Polish Underground.cya. :disgust:

Did the movie start with "Based on a true story" If they say that they can mix around with the truth a little. The basic story is true however it isnt portray exactly as it might have happened.