PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Refreshed Lockyer set to lead

DeeGan
03-10-05, 10:58 AM
Great news on our Test captain from The Australian newspaper as posted on www.foxsports.com.au

Refreshed Lockyer set to lead
By Dan Koch and Brent Read
October 3, 2005

TEST captain Darren Lockyer has dismissed calls for him to bypass the Tri-Nations tournament in favour of an extended rest, saying he has not felt fresher at the end of a season for years.

After watching Brisbane crash out of this year's NRL finals series, former Test skipper Gorden Tallis said Lockyer appeared "worn out" after several gruelling seasons lengthened by finals, State of Origin and Test football.

However, Lockyer, who will today be named to captain the 23-man Australia squad, said he had given no thought to missing the games against New Zealand and Great Britain next month.

Lockyer was feeling "as good as I have in a very long time" after missing three matches at the end of the year with a hamstring strain.

"I'm actually really looking forward to it," Lockyer said. "Obviously it's a huge honour to play for your country any chance you get, but from a personal point of view I am feeling really fresh.

"I didn't play much footy in the last six weeks of the competition because of injury and I have had a bit of a break since we got knocked out of the finals, so there's no tiredness at all."

Despite the return of halfback Andrew Johns to the line-up for the first time in three years, Lockyer said he expected the Kangaroos to be tested by England and New Zealand.

But in an ominous warning for the Lions and Kiwis, Lockyer also suggested he was desperately keen to get back in the winners' circle after Brisbane bowed out of the NRL premiership race.

"It was a pretty disappointing end to the club year for me," Lockyer said.

"It's been a while since I had a win so I'm pretty keen to get out and end that run. But it'll be a very tough series, just like it was last year.
"All three squads have a few blokes out because of injury, as you'd expect after a long season of footy, but the depth in England and New Zealand has improved a lot recently.

"Test football has improved every year since I've been playing and I don't think this year will be any different."

While loyalty to the players who were part of Australia's outstanding series win in England last year will play a big part in the make-up of coach Wayne Bennett's squad, selectors are also likely to find room to reward grand final sides North Queensland and Wests Tigers.

Cowboys duo Matt Sing and Matt Bowen are certain to tour. Back rower Luke O'Donnell and five-eighth Johnathan Thurston are expected to come into the mix.

For the Tigers, fullback Brett Hodgson and prop John Skandalis are in contention, although Bennett's commitment to his incumbents will be a difficult obstacle for both to overcome.

Despite calling for Skandalis to be chosen in front of him, Bulldogs giant Willie Mason is expected to tour, as is Panthers captain Craig Gower, despite their respective clubs' indifferent year.

The Kiwis are poised to name Tigers pair Benji Marshall and Dene Halatua in their 40-man squad despite Tigers coach Tim Sheens insisting both will undergo shoulder operations following last night's grand final.

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan's initial squad will include no England-based players, with players such as Ali Lauitiiti, Lesley Vainikolo, Shontayne Hape and Robbie Paul to be added for the northern matches.

"I'm hoping to get a bit of an indication from Benji and Dene tomorrow before we name it," McClennan said. "If we don't get hold of them we will name them and find out afterwards."

Australia squad (probable): Anthony Minichiello, Matt Sing, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Matt King, Darren Lockyer (captain), Andrew Johns, Petero Civoniceva, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Kennedy, Luke Bailey, Trent Barrett, Craig Gower, Luke O'Donnell, Matt Bowen, Steve Price, Willie Mason, Luke Rooney, Brent Tate, Steve Simpson.

The Australian

DeeGan
03-10-05, 11:02 AM
Looking at the 'probable' squad as listed above, not one Tigers player though three Cowboys. I can see the headlines now ;)

I would not take Mason, he has had a poor season all-round and a notable absentee is Craig Wing from the Roosters.

DeeGan

Steelers
03-10-05, 11:06 AM
I can't believe Luke Rooney is in the squad. Didn't see any of him this year!

Dakink
03-10-05, 11:21 AM
WTF Rooney and Mason???

In the immortal words of one Miss Hanson - Please Explain???

Queenslander
03-10-05, 11:33 AM
Mason doesnt deserve to be there, he only played a handfull of games this season and did nothing for test spot. And based on form Matt Bowen should be fullback with Minichiello as back up.

Dakink
03-10-05, 11:39 AM
Have to disagree there. Mini has been outstanding in a crap team. Bowen has been good but has also been known to go missing in important games. Mini is the incumbent and the only person I would replace him with is if they move Locky back there.

Steelers
03-10-05, 11:48 AM
WTF Rooney and Mason???

Please Explain indeed. Luckily this is only a prediction of the squad. The selectors (hopefully) won't go for incumbancy and pick those 2.

Queenslander
03-10-05, 11:51 AM
Bowen has been good but has also been known to go missing in important games.

If your refering to state of origin game 3, it wasnt just Bowen missing but the entire team ;) Minichiello has been in a poor team all year, and perhaps a longer break will make him a better player for next year. Bowen deserves his chance to run on with the kangaroos, and just because Mini is the incumbent does not mean that he should be there. Cause if that rule applied then Brett Kimmorely would be in the team, but i dont see that happening ;)

Dakink
03-10-05, 11:53 AM
Bowen also went mising in the GF qualifier last year...

He had a good game yesterday though. Not good enough to oust Mini who has been week in week out awesome in a below par team. Plus Kimmorley has been playing lihe crap and wasnt the true incumbent. He was just marking time till Johns came back.

Queenslander
03-10-05, 11:57 AM

That was last year though, we are all one year older and wiser for it ;) Lets settle with starting with Mini and then if he doesnt perform (which i think will happen) :) then bring in Bowen and give Mini a free English holiday :D

Chaos
03-10-05, 12:05 PM
TEST captain Darren Lockyer has dismissed calls for him to bypass the Tri-Nations tournament in favour of an extended rest, saying he has not felt fresher at the end of a season for years

Great news for Lockyer fans as I was one who believed Lockyer was losing interest. I actually wanted to see Barrett get a run in front of him.
If he is keen then I suppose he gets the green light.

Watching him at his best outside Johns will be great to see.

Chaos
03-10-05, 12:08 PM

Tigers did a great job on Bowen yesterday.
I think he was nervous...why didn't he get out of his own in goal, at the start of the game?

Steelers
03-10-05, 12:11 PM
He officially hasn't even made the squad. The squad has been released. Look at my thread 'Official Tri-Nations squad'

[BroncosGirl]
03-10-05, 12:19 PM
Glad Locky is captain :D

ridgey
03-10-05, 12:48 PM
i have a feeling lockyer might revel with johns and co and this will be his best tri nations yet,for his sake i hope he silences the critics,for the kiwis and pommy's sake well i hope he silences the critics

Dakink
03-10-05, 01:20 PM
I think Locky will have a blinder - but that will only glossen over the probs he as at 5\8 for the Broncs. Locky deserves the chance as he is a champion, even if he is in the wrong position.

PARANoIR
03-10-05, 06:31 PM
WTF Rooney and Mason???

Please explain to me how Mason can have a poor season all round when he only played 8 games or whatever? The guy was injured most of the year and even when he started playing again, he was still injured.

Steelers
03-10-05, 06:36 PM
Please explain to me how Mason can have a poor season all round when he only played 8 games or whatever? The guy was injured most of the year and even when he started playing again, he was still injured.

he even said that he wasn't 100% and that the selectors should pick skandalis and not him

Steve Dangerous
03-10-05, 07:06 PM
here's the official squad:

Australia: Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra), Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights), Petero Civoniceva (Brisbane Broncos), Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra), Craig Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters), Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra), Craig Gower (Penrith Panthers), Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels), Andrew Johns (Newcastle Knights), Ben Kennedy (Manly Sea Eagles), Matt King (Melbourne Storm), Darren Lockyer (Brisbane Broncos, capt), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters), Luke O'Donnell (Nth Qld Cowboys) Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs), Steve Price (New Zealand Warriors), Scott Prince (Wests Tigers), Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs), Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra), Timana Tahu (Parramatta Eels), Brent Tate (Brisbane Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Penrith Panthers).

ONE cowboy, and ONE tiger. imo this is just crazy. how could ANYBODY be named over Sing and Thurston.

Steelers
03-10-05, 07:09 PM
here's the official squad:

Australia: Trent Barrett (St George Illawarra), Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights), Petero Civoniceva (Brisbane Broncos), Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra), Craig Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters), Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra), Craig Gower (Penrith Panthers), Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels), Andrew Johns (Newcastle Knights), Ben Kennedy (Manly Sea Eagles), Matt King (Melbourne Storm), Darren Lockyer (Brisbane Broncos, capt), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters), Luke O'Donnell (Nth Qld Cowboys) Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs), Steve Price (New Zealand Warriors), Scott Prince (Wests Tigers), Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs), Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra), Timana Tahu (Parramatta Eels), Brent Tate (Brisbane Broncos), Trent Waterhouse (Penrith Panthers).

ONE cowboy, and ONE tiger. imo this is just crazy. how could ANYBODY be named over Sing and Thurston.

prince over thurston, but sing left out is silly. he fits both types of selection criteris (reputation and form). and how in the world did trent waterhouse make it???

Queenslander
03-10-05, 07:12 PM
Matt Sing should be there he played well for australia in the ANZAC test, and looking at this squad they are sticking with the incumbents, so he should be there. This team should represent the best players of this year, not the best players of last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

Steelers
03-10-05, 07:16 PM
Matt Sing should be there he played well for australia in the ANZAC test, and looking at this squad they are sticking with the incumbents, so he should be there. This team should represent the best players of this year, not the best players of last year, or the year before, or the year before that.

that is why we need new selectors and a new coach. i, just like the rest of the league community, do not like the current way they select players for rep sides

Queenslander
03-10-05, 07:20 PM
that is why we need new selectors and a new coach. i, just like the rest of the league community, do not like the current way they select players for rep sides

I dont think we need a new coach cause it seems that Wayne Bennet has lost most of his selection power. I am just assuming this as there are only three broncos in the squad ;) . I think the selectors need a good kick up the bum to wake them up from previous years. This year Australia will have a hard time at defending their tri-nations title.

Steelers
03-10-05, 07:28 PM
I dont think we need a new coach cause it seems that Wayne Bennet has lost most of his selection power. I am just assuming this as there are only three broncos in the squad ;) . I think the selectors need a good kick up the bum to wake them up from previous years. This year Australia will have a hard time at defending their tri-nations title.

nice stuff with the wink lol. did you see the news conference with wayne? he said "We (the selectors and him) talked this morning and decided we will pick the best players from this year and the players that have done it for us in the past". Matt Sing has done both of those! But I think Wayne has a bit more say then you think, because he probably deliberately doesn't choose too many Broncs because of all the criticism.

Queenslander
03-10-05, 07:30 PM
nice stuff with the wink lol. did you see the news conference with wayne? he said "We (the selectors and him) talked this morning and decided we will pick the best players from this year and the players that have done it for us in the past". Matt Sing has done both of those! But I think Wayne has a bit more say then you think, because he probably deliberately doesn't choose too many Broncs because of all the criticism.

Yeah you can tell when something isnt right when there are only three broncos in the squad. But if i was Matt Sing i would be spewing

Steelers
03-10-05, 07:33 PM
But if i was Matt Sing i would be spewing

SO WOULD I

PARANoIR
03-10-05, 07:41 PM
he even said that he wasn't 100% and that the selectors should pick skandalis and not him

Whats that got to do with the question I asked?

Steve Dangerous
03-10-05, 07:43 PM
How can somebody play origin, win the Dally M, win the RLPA award, and make a grand final and still not make the australian side?

He was the best player of the year out of anybody, he should have been the first picked.

Super Cronk
03-10-05, 07:46 PM
How can somebody play origin, win the Dally M, win the RLPA award, and make a grand final and still not make the australian side?

He was the best player of the year out of anybody, he should have been the first picked.

Altho ....i think the dally M was dodgy giving it to thurston. He got 3 points vs the storm and he went missing for 70 minutes in that game. i also reckon prince was playing better then thursto when the SOO teams were picked.And ofcourse the RLPA award wont go to anyone other then the dally M winner...if they did then they basically saying your wrong. Dont get me wrong tho..i think he is a good player but there are better players then him and they were named.

Queenslander
03-10-05, 07:47 PM

Thurston is yet another player that was not included, it just makes no sense. He would be a great inclusion as he can cover many positions.

Steve Dangerous
03-10-05, 09:06 PM
And ofcourse the RLPA award wont go to anyone other then the dally M winner...if they did then they basically saying your wrong.

No that's just not true, because the RLPA is decided by the votes of the opposition players each game, so the Dally M has no bearing whatsoever on it.

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:06 PM
Whats that got to do with the question I asked?

sorry man, i read your question the wrong way.

Steelers
03-10-05, 10:07 PM
Thurston is yet another player that was not included, it just makes no sense. He would be a great inclusion as he can cover many positions.

like what, 5/8 and halfback??? he isn't big enough to play centre, not fast enough for wing, and not big enough for forwards.

Queenslander
04-10-05, 09:46 AM
like what, 5/8 and halfback??? he isn't big enough to play centre, not fast enough for wing, and not big enough for forwards.

Yes 5/8 and halfback, he could cover for injuries that are bound to happen. Im sure that Andrew Jones will get some sort of injury while playing and Lockyer may get a niggle or too. And having thurston who has been one of the best players this year, makes more sense than some of the other players that have been included.

Steelers
04-10-05, 05:07 PM
Yes 5/8 and halfback, he could cover for injuries that are bound to happen. Im sure that Andrew Jones will get some sort of injury while playing and Lockyer may get a niggle or too. And having thurston who has been one of the best players this year, makes more sense than some of the other players that have been included.

they're wereome players that were better than him this year, it is just that he played every game, so he scored Dally M points for just about every game. Trent Barrett was injured for alot of the start of the season.

Hindy_Magic
09-10-05, 05:25 PM
lockyer should not be captain he is only getting chosen because of wayne bennet.

PARANoIR
09-10-05, 05:27 PM
Did you even take the time to read the rest of this thread?