PDA

View Full Version : NRL: I won't quit, vows Fitzgerald

Queenslander
21-05-06, 10:16 AM
I won't quit, vows Fitzgerald
By Peter Badel
May 21, 2006

A BESIEGED Denis Fitzgerald insists he will not resign as Parramatta chief executive - despite admitting he must accept total blame for the Eels's 20-year premiership drought and the present crisis engulfing the club.

The confession came as Parramatta legend Peter Sterling called for the club to seriously assess whether Fitzgerald should remain in charge of the embattled Eels.

In a radio interview yesterday, Fitzgerald spoke candidly on the state of affairs at Parramatta, including:

STANDING by his controversial decision to inform Brian Smith last November that he would not coach the Eels in 2007;

HIS shock at Smith taking up a coaching post at Bradford - three days after quitting the Eels;

REVEALING he first informed Smith midway through 2004 that the coach would not be at the club in 2007.
But Fitzgerald also turned the blowtorch on himself, admitting he must take ownership for Parramatta's failure to win a title since 1986.

"I take full responsibility as chief executive of the Parramatta club for 28 years," said Fitzgerald, the club's CEO since 1978.

"We had some early success in the 1980s. In total we've been a successful club in so many areas on and off the field. We've been the leaders.

"But being chief executive you must take responsibility for the results.

"In Brian's period, we made the semi-finals seven times and been minor premiers twice. But it all depends on the big one [a premiership] and we haven't done that.

"But we've been knocking on the door."

Asked if he would stand down from his post, Fitzgerald said: "I have no thoughts whatsoever [of quitting]."

Sterling, who played 227 NRL games for the Eels said that it's time Fitzgerald's tenure came under intense scrutiny.

"I'm looking for reasons why we have failed to win a premiership for 20 years and the one constant is Denis Fitzgerald," Sterling said.

"I must preface this by saying it is well known that Denis and I do not get along.

"I don't want this to be a personal attack on Denis. I would be saying the same thing whether I got on with Denis or not.

"His position needs to be looked at. We are fast gaining a reputation as non-winners and as a Parramatta fan, as a life member, it breaks my heart to see the club in this predicament."

Fitzgerald, when asked if Smith had abandoned the club with his shock switch to Bradford, said: "It surprised me, that it came up so quickly. He resigned on Monday and was on a plane on Thursday."

Despite being lambasted for the decision to sack Smith, Fitzgerald says he is now more adamant than ever that he acted wisely.

"In hindsight, I'm even more convinced that we did the right thing," he said.

"I'm yet to hear from anyone who can tell me what is a better time if you're not going to extend a coach's contract."

The Sunday Telegraph

Eel 33
22-05-06, 09:18 AM
Finally the dictator puts the blow torch on himself. I can't wait till i get my voting rights in 2.5 yrs. Fitzgerald and the board are gone, and im not the only one that thinks the same way.

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 10:34 AM
He wont resign? dammit!

Eel 33
24-05-06, 10:21 AM
He won't go until he's voted out. Even then this dinosaur will kick and scream like another one, George Piggins, until it has been proven 50 times over that he's out of a job. Numbers don't lie, Fitzgerald is living on borrowed time.