PDA

View Full Version : Riot squad to patrol Bulldogs game

Super Cronk
19-05-06, 04:16 PM
SMH.com.au

Mounted police and the riot and dog squads will be deployed to deter troublemakers when the Bulldogs and Cronulla Sharks rugby league teams go head to head on Sunday.

Brawls broke out among fans when the Bulldogs played the Wests Tigers at Sydney's Telstra Stadium in March, prompting the riot squad to be rostered on for all future Bulldogs games.

The match this Sunday between the Bulldogs and the Sharks will be the first since last December's Cronulla riot, where people of Middle Eastern appearance were targeted.

In the days that followed, revenge attacks were carried out by men from Arabic backgrounds, many of whom come from the Bulldogs' home turf of south-western Sydney.

NSW Police Minister Carl Scully said more than 100 police would be deployed to Telstra Stadium this Sunday in addition to a normal contingent of security officers.

"That will include mounted police outside, that'll include sniffer dogs, it'll include riot police, general duties police and other personnel," he told reporters.

"The message is pretty simple: If you want to come along and enjoy the football, by all means do so, but if you're going there with intent to cause disquiet, you are going to be dealt with by our police."

Bulldogs club officials are keen to avoid any trouble on Sunday and will offer free admission to the stadium to police officers as part of what they've termed "Police Appreciation Day".

The annual interstate league match between NSW and Queensland Police will be played before the main game.

Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said the law-abiding majority of Bulldogs and Sharks fans would not permit trouble to break out at the game.

"The overwhelming majority of those people will ensure a safe and secure environment," he told reporters.

HodgoBerro
19-05-06, 04:22 PM
wonder if these interstate policemen are going to have riot police at the broncos v bulldogs game next saturday

Queenslander
19-05-06, 04:24 PM
I so hope the only story to come out of this game is related to the football.

Dakink
19-05-06, 04:47 PM

Ill second that - but having been to a couple of EPL games - I am certainly in favour of too much police presence to too few.

I have experienced both, not enough police - nothing happened but the threat was in the air which was frighteningly real enough considering how pissed some of the fans were. We then also went to a game when you couldnt move for the cops from the tube tothe ground - it was a much more enjoyable environment.

I say do what needs to be done.

Super Cronk
19-05-06, 04:49 PM

:clap:

Lets hope that its a ripper of a game! No voilence in or outside the ground, well except for the biff between the players ;)

Titanium_BD1103
19-05-06, 06:04 PM
My Gosh.. that is so many Police.. :D :D

ANYONE who is thinking of doing something stupid on Sunday would have to be seriously stupid to try and do something on Sunday... I reckon there will be so many police there it will not be funny... :D :D

Super Cronk
19-05-06, 06:09 PM
it will be funny if someone does try to start something and gets a good ol cranuim cracker by one of the riots police batons. :)

Titanium_BD1103
19-05-06, 06:13 PM
Don't worry... I'll be laughing too... you'd have to be mental to try to pull one with that many police... :laugh: :laugh:

Super Cronk
22-05-06, 11:38 AM
:clap:

Lets hope that its a ripper of a game! No voilence in or outside the ground, well except for the biff between the players ;)

And wasnt there plenty of biff!