PDA

View Full Version : Titans boost Maroons

Queenslander
19-05-06, 09:09 AM
Titans boost Maroons
Amy Harris
The Courier Mail
May 19, 2006

THE Gold Coast Titans expect to be a major source of State of Origin stock for Queensland ? but don't expect too much too soon.

Football manager and former Origin player Scott Sattler has earmarked a group that he believes will lead a future Maroon contingent but says we might have to wait for three years before the new club becomes a legitimate force at Origin level.

"It won't happen straight away. We have guys like Scott Prince and Luke Bailey who will obviously be in the frame when it comes to Origin selection straight away but the homegrown Queenslanders will be a few years coming," Sattler said.

Tipped for representative honours, teenagers Will Matthews, Bodene Thompson, Matt Smith-Host, Shannon Walker and Chris Sandow are all still at high school on the Gold Coast.

All five took their first big step towards the Maroon jersey this week when they were picked in the Queensland Open Schoolboys side for the ASSRL National Exchange at Port Macquarie in July.

"Obviously it's fairly early to start making these sorts of predictions but their futures are pretty well mapped out for them," Sattler said.

"We think they're going to be standouts down the track and good potential Maroons."

Sattler said the Titans would begin to rely more on local players and less on the Sydney-based imports as the side found its feet in the NRL.

It's a plan that has worked to perfection for the North Queensland Cowboys who built their earlier foundations on key local products.

Now they famously boast the competition's best-known discovery, Matt Bowen.

"It's worked really well for the Cowboys. They have managed to establish a pathway in North Queensland and that's what we want," Sattler said.

In the meantime, the Gold Coast is understood to be closing in on negotiations with Penrith's Luke Swain, though the 24-year-old lock said he had yet to see a formal offer from the Titans camp.

A Panther since he made his NRL debut in 2003, Swain played under Titans coach John Cartwright in the Penrith reserve grade and played alongside Sattler in the 2003 premiership season.

He is also a good friend of star Coast signings Scott Prince, Preston Campbell and Frank Puletua and said he would probably accept a contract if an offer materialised.

"Definitely, it would be a move I would consider but I have yet to see anything," said Swain, who was given permission by Penrith at the weekend to talk to other clubs.

"There are a few other clubs in the mix but I have told my manager I don't really want to know about them until there is an actual offer there.

"Everyone is talking about the Gold Coast and if it's a possibility then I'd be interested."

DeeGan
19-05-06, 09:52 AM
Great read for Titans fans that article and the positive news on Luke Swain's signature is great news. Let's hope that comes sooner rather than later.

The Elite Academy players are all the 'cream of the crop' and the recruiting we have done has been superb here - this in my opinion is why we as fans have to show faith in the recuriting of Carty, Satts and co. given they are savvy football brains who whether some like it or not, know a little more about the game than you and I ;)

DIEHARD
19-05-06, 02:35 PM
Now this is exciting news for both Titans and Queensland fans.

5 players in the Queensland Open Schoolboys is HUGE.

I've had the pleasure of seeing some of these players run around at Coffs Habour earlier in the year and I was very impressed with their skill and attitude.

I think the Titans will begin to follow the Cowboys example and really thrive off local talent.

State of Origin is about to get a lot harder for those ****roaches!

Super Cronk
19-05-06, 02:38 PM
Havent seen or heard about most of these young blokes...but one name that pops up alot lately is Chris Sandow he has massive wraps on him. Cannot wait to see him play!

Steelers
19-05-06, 03:02 PM
He is also a good friend of star Coast signings Scott Prince, Preston Campbell and Frank Puletua and said he would probably accept a contract if an offer materialised.

Since when ha sFrank Puletua been a Titans signing?????

Dakink
19-05-06, 03:07 PM
Since when ha sFrank Puletua been a Titans signing?????

Great spot Steelers !!!

Hey Deegs - that a typo or an unreleased secret??

Any truth behind the rumour...

Teegy
19-05-06, 03:08 PM
i think its a typo but it think that he is hinting he would accept a contract if he was offered

The Original Idiot
20-05-06, 05:07 PM
Um...what about everyone from Nthn NSW? There's plenty of talent there, Greg Inglis came from there (even tho he's a Maroon).

Teegy
20-05-06, 05:10 PM
Im sure their is but the titans are known as a QLD team so the press would natuarly focus on that

Steelers
20-05-06, 05:20 PM
Um...what about everyone from Nthn NSW? There's plenty of talent there, Greg Inglis came from there (even tho he's a Maroon).

I am sure there would be a couple of NSWmen from that region who will be running around for the Titans in the future, but the article was written in the Courier Mail (QLD press... biased!) so that explained the concentration on QLD.

DeeGan
22-05-06, 10:20 AM
Great spot Steelers !!!

Hey Deegs - that a typo or an unreleased secret??

Any truth behind the rumour...

A typo at the moment - he was a rumoured target a few weeks back though no announcement has been made.

I am a mushroom here champ, sorry, can't confirm anything for you all.