PDA

View Full Version : Titans Elite Academy Update

DeeGan
17-05-06, 11:09 AM
Titans Elite Academy Update

I received this e-mail from Satts this morning re: the performance of some the Elite Academy players we have in our ranks. All very promising and it shows the recruiting we are doing at this level is securing the best young talent in QLD, good job to all involved :D

Scott Sattler: "The Elite Academy players are excelling in their respective teams and school competitions. We have recently had the Qld Open Schoolboys carnival, Q under 15 carnival and the on going Colts and Q Cup competitions in the State. Out of these particular events the Titans players faired very very well"

Here is the list of players and their respective rep honors:

Bo Dene Thompson- Qld schoolboys second row

Will Matthews- Qld schoolboys front row

Chris Sandow- Qld Schoolboys half back/ Australian Institute of Sport member/ QLD Junior Indiginous sportsman of the Year

Matt Host- Qld schoolboys centre/lock

Shannon Walker- Qld schoolboys fullback

James Rix- Qld 19?s trial selection front row

Harry Witt- Qld 19?s trialist hooker

Tyson Lofipo- Qld 19?s trialist wing/centre

Micheal Keating- NSW Catholics schoolboys trials in 2 weeks

Matt O Rielly- NSW high schools trials in 2 weeks

Damien Buckley- NSW catholics trials in 2 weeks

Teegy
17-05-06, 11:38 AM
The one i am most enjoying to hear about is Chris Sandow. he could be a 1st grader at the start of next year at this rate. what about shannon Walker as the fullback. he sounds like a exciting player aswell

DeeGan
17-05-06, 11:42 AM
Shannon in the limited action I have seen is definately going to be a youngster pushing for NRL first grade action over the next couple of seasons. Chris Sandow has more raps on him than any young QLD player I know not playing in the NRL currently - and from plenty of good judges which is promising.

Chris and Shannon was awesome at the sevens, both very quick and talented with ball in hand. Sandow will be pushing Preston and Prince from the start, he looks to be one of those rare talents who will attract plenty of attention from NRL clubs looking for a up and coming halfback.

Teegy
17-05-06, 11:44 AM
Sandow would be good off the bench as an impact player. he could come on to Hooker and player in combo with presto and prince

Steelers
17-05-06, 11:59 AM
I am just wondering, are these blokes still on the open market or have they been signed by the Titans on some sort of deal where they can't sign with anyone else... because I am sure there would be many clubs wanting to sign some of these blokes.

DeeGan
17-05-06, 12:03 PM
I am sure they are contracted that prevents them from being poached by the vultures at other NRL clubs...I might get clarification there though and see what that entails. Some of it may not be privy to us on the outside though.

Leave it with me.

Steelers
17-05-06, 12:16 PM
I am sure they are contracted that prevents them from being poached by the vultures at other NRL clubs...I might get clarification there though and see what that entails. Some of it may not be privy to us on the outside though.

Leave it with me.

OK thanks for that, Most would think they would have had an exclusivity contract of some sort.

The Original Idiot
17-05-06, 04:35 PM
Walker and Sandow both did pretty well at the under 18 carnival at Wynnum. This guy Israel Folau was the player of the tournament, let's try and get him before the other clubs can get their filthy hands on him!

DeeGan
17-05-06, 11:27 PM
The Elite Academy players are all on 2-3yr deals - straight from the mouth of Scott Sattler.

Cheers

maroon man
18-05-06, 07:29 AM
I stand corrected but I believe Chris Sandow is only the second 16 year old ever to be selected in the Australian Schoolboys side (18 yo's generally). The other one was Chris Walker. So, anyone selected that young to play in a team generally two years older and at international level has to be someone special. In saying that, Walker could have been something special but went off the tracks from time to time. I look forward to seeing Sandow push the experienced players ne3xt year.

Titanz01
31-07-06, 06:24 PM
<removed> now thats what you call an academy!

lonegull
01-08-06, 03:01 PM
Sandow will be great but one thing that worries me is that other clubs might target him on the field because of his age and size

qld rebel
02-08-06, 10:48 AM
A smaller player like sandow is always going to be targeted, with amazing ability in attack. a player is always going to have a weakness in sandows case it is going to be his size and ofcorse teams/players are going to expose that in saying that im sure the titans would have a plan to lower the chances of him having to defend alot. benji marshall defends on the wing mainly because of a suspect shoulder but he is not what i would call a great tackler maybe putting sandow on the wing in defence would be good as he is punishing in broken play, this way he wont be as tired and hes straight back into the attack when posession changes.
any thoughts?
Qld rebel.

Social Loafer
02-08-06, 11:41 PM
Does Sandow currently play for Souths Logan?

Eel 33
03-08-06, 02:14 PM
Yes, he was shown on NRL on Fox last night playing for Souths.

Social Loafer
03-08-06, 02:32 PM
Yes, he was shown on NRL on Fox last night playing for Souths.

Wonder why Canberra didn't pick him up... Souths Logans are our feeder club, then again we got plenty of young at the club...

lonegull
03-08-06, 03:12 PM
Wonder why Canberra didn't pick him up... Souths Logans are our feeder club, then again we got plenty of young at the club...

Yeah but any as good as sandow he is only 17 and playing q cup might of slipped under the radar of canberra

Social Loafer
03-08-06, 03:54 PM
If he is as good as people are saying he is, I certainly hope he didn't slip under the radar (parden the pun)..

I'm not sure on the exact arrangement we have with Souths-Logan, maybe it's more to do with financial side of things..

Although we did get William Zillman from there ...

Titanz01
03-08-06, 06:56 PM
nah his da man, his a nice fella

Darren Lockyer
03-08-06, 07:59 PM
I don't think the raiders got a chance to see him before the titans snatched him up

DIEHARD
03-08-06, 09:43 PM
Article in today's courier about the Raiders targeting QLD for players. Haven't fully read it yet, said they try to target QLD because it is hard to pull players away from Sydney.

I think the more clubs targeting Queensland the better, although thankfully we now have three NRL clubs but we need more IMO, not now but 10-12 years from now. My point is Im glad a lot of scouting eyes are being cast on QLD so we don't lose any potential players.

And let's hope the Titans get the cream of the crop.

philstorm
21-08-06, 11:54 PM
Looks like Titans are really building up with some quality youngsters. :)

DIEHARD
02-12-06, 09:19 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this. But apparently Chris Sandow had a great game for AIS versus BARLA.

A user on totalrl.com called derwent described him as....

Aussie stand-off Chris Sandow is as good a player as I've ever seen at that age. Absolutely fantastic, has pace, vision, great hands and totally controlled the game. He's just signed for Gold Coast Titans and will no doubt get even better. Remember the name !

DeeGan
02-12-06, 09:30 PM
Been saying this for the past 12mths ;)

The same will be said for Shannon Walker in the not too distant future. Sandow is our future halfback for the mighty Gold Coast Titans :guit:

DIEHARD
02-12-06, 09:48 PM
Those two are some amazing talent, we are lucky to have them.

Future Star
02-12-06, 09:49 PM
Chris Sandow is a future rep player.

DIEHARD
02-12-06, 09:56 PM
Read the latest about our young stars in this thread about AIS belting Barla.

http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=138093#post138093

Here is a snippet.

Leading the way was brilliant Souths Logan Magpie and
Marsden State High talent Chris Sandow, who scored three
tries playing at five-eighth for Australia.

His man-of-the-match performance began with an artful kick
feign out wide, opening a gap for him to dive across the
tryline.

Sandow then put centre Peni Tagive into a hole on halfway,
backing up on the inside and showing exceptional speed to
finish in style.

Amazingly, Palm Beach Currumbin schoolboy Shannon Walker
also had enough time to post a hat-trick before halftime,
including one blistering effort over 80m.

Both Walker and Sandow are contracted to NRL newcomers the
Gold Coast Titans.

Shannon and Chris both scored hatricks!

Future Star
02-12-06, 10:39 PM
^ WOW!!!!!!!!! WOOOWWWWWW!!!!!

These guys are going to be stars of the NRL - and will keep the starting side on their toes

philstorm
02-12-06, 11:53 PM
Chris Sandow will be in the Australian team in the next 4 years.

Mark my words!

Titan_Matchu
03-12-06, 11:23 AM
Very exciting future talent the titans have secured two young Queenlanders that look to have a bright future and were the stand out players of the tournament.

Shannon Walker possibly a future Karmichael (comparing the two's ages and abilities)

Chris Sandow sounds like he might be playing first grade as early as next year if Prince or Presto get hurt which a lot of people were worried about, what would happen if Presto or Prince get hurt? well here is the answer Chris Sandow.

Can't wait the Titans will be making finals next year for sure all they have to do is give young players an oppurtunity.

TitanBSHS
03-12-06, 07:14 PM
Walker and Sandow both did pretty well at the under 18 carnival at Wynnum. This guy Israel Folau was the player of the tournament, let's try and get him before the other clubs can get their filthy hands on him!

Israel is signed to Storms im pretty sure, mate whos signed to Storms told me

PROMETHEUS
03-12-06, 07:36 PM
Maybe we could sign him..that tactic almost worked for the storm! :laugh:

DIEHARD
04-12-06, 09:41 AM
This from the RFL match report.

GAME STAR ? Two-try Aussie full back Chris Sandow was all class, linking from the back with clinical, telling effect.

GAME BREAKER ? Sandow?s interception in the run up to the break as the Lions pressed, decisively turned the momentum.

Steve
04-12-06, 11:32 AM
I'm just looking up some of the schoolboys games. Seems Sandow has played 5/8 aswell as fullback.

Both he and Walker seem to be having huge games over there.
And I think another of the young lads, Cameron White is headed to the coast aswell.

Wicks
04-12-06, 05:18 PM
Read the latest about our young stars in this thread about AIS belting Barla.

Sandow was a member of the AIS squad but he is touring with the Australian Schoolboys which takes precedence

Man of the match yesterday

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=2490

TitanBSHS
04-12-06, 06:11 PM
i rekon we should sign Ryan Hansen, his the future