PDA

View Full Version : Storm junior compared to Matt Bowen

Super Cronk
17-05-06, 10:53 AM
melbournestorm.com.au

A 19-YEAR-OLD rookie, who Melbourne Storm insiders have compared to mercurial Queensland fullback Matt Bowen, is set to make his NRL debut against Manly on Saturday night.

Smith Samau only joined the Storm full-time squad from Queensland feeder club Norths Devils last month after Billy Slater's seven-match suspension for kicking.

But with Melbourne's backline depth stretched to breaking point the diminutive Samau will be called into action against the Matt Orford-inspired Sea Eagles.

"Smith is really quiet. He doesn't say much, but there is no doubt he can play," Storm winger Steve Turner said.

"He has a really good step, he's quick and he reminds me a bit of Matty Bowen the way he zips around. His footwork and agility are something else and late in halves he could cause their bigger guys a few problems."

In a vastly reshaped Storm side Samau could be one of three players to make their Melbourne debuts.

Unheralded back rower Matthew Bartlett and former Canberra prop Ben Cross have also been named in an extended 19-man squad.

With fullback Greg Inglis, hooker Cameron Smith and lock Dallas Johnson on State-of-Origin duty with Queensland and Matt King in the New South Wales camp, coach Craig Bellamy had little choice but to reshape his team.

In a major shake-up: Turner replaces Inglis at fullback; Chris Walker comes into the centres for King; Samau comes on to Turner's wing; Nathan Friend replaces Smith at hooker; Jeremy Smith takes Johnson's place at lock.

Jamie Feeney, Bartlett and Cross are the new faces on the interchange bench.

Bartlett is considered a strong chance of making his top-flight debut. The Newcastle junior was the last player signed by Storm in the off-season.

"His manager called us looking for an opportunity," Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said of Bartlett.

"I went and had a look at him and he reminded me a lot of Ryan Hoffman.

"I thought he would probably need a year in our program to put on some weight and be ready for first grade, but he has worked hard and come along well. Whatever he does this year, he'll improve on in 2007."

Cant wait to see him play...if he is as good as the insiders say then it will be crazy having slater, inglis and samua in the one team!

Queenslander
17-05-06, 10:56 AM
Cant wait to see him play...if he is as good as the insiders say then it will be crazy having slater, inglis and samua in the one team!

The amount of talent flowing into Melbourne is amazing; No wonder why so many teams hate Melbourne ;) It would be great to see Slater, Inglis and Samua in the backline.

DeeGan
17-05-06, 11:01 AM
Another comparison, another young star with pressure on his shoulders not needed when he is yet to make his debut.

Good luck to him.

Super Cronk
17-05-06, 11:04 AM
Another comparison, another young star with pressure on his shoulders not needed when he is yet to make his debut.

Good luck to him.

True...but i think you will find with Bellamy as coach it wont go to his head and he wont feel as much pressure.

Craig did wonders for Slater and is doing it now with Inglis.

DeeGan
17-05-06, 11:18 AM
True...but i think you will find with Bellamy as coach it wont go to his head and he wont feel as much pressure.

Craig did wonders for Slater and is doing it now with Inglis.

Bellamy is not the problem, it is those looking for any easy story in the media heaping pressure on a young kid. Bellamy can do so much to protect his young talent, this is said for all coaches, though these comparisons are leaked and the media get hold of it and will now judge him unfairly.

Young talent of this calibre (Marshall, SBW, Inglis, Slater, Hunt) more often than not will take care of themselves, Slater and Inglis were always going to come out at the other end as true superstars given their rare gifts on the football field ;) Not taking much away from Bellamy, though again, the majority of NRL first grade coaches are going to maximise the potential of players like these two more often than not. If anything, the thing that works most in their favour is the fact they are in Melbourne where the media is looking for a story in the AFL.

The Original Idiot
17-05-06, 04:57 PM
If you guys have had the opportunity to watch QLD cup, Samau has been playing pretty well for the devils. I think he can crack first grade, maybe not as well as Inglis has, and doom Chris Walker to playing with the Bears til the end of his days!