PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Mathers knee injury

DeeGan
15-05-06, 10:48 AM
Titans: Mathers knee injury

Richie Mathers, a possible Titans signing in 2007, injured his knee in the weekend's loss to Hull FC and was carried from the field. I cannot find any definite reports on the severity of the injury, though the common thought is he has done his ACL and could be out for 8-12 weeks.

This is not good news for my Super League club Leeds nor for those interested in the signing of the young fullback.

The playing surfaces in Australia are much harder than that of the UK and with a series of season ending knee injuries already in 2006, coming to Australia with one suspect knee on the harder surface is a potential disaster for one not familiar with Australian conditions.

Leeds have some of the best medical staff in the UK, they will look after him, though this is not news we at the Titans would like to be reading after the weekend's action.

Dakink
15-05-06, 10:50 AM
Poor luck for Mathers - though this perhaps firms intent for Greenshields?

All really depends on the way CArty and co want to go - that at the moment is anybodies guess!

patskE
15-05-06, 12:42 PM
greeny will be spending more time in the nrl this season with head out and hornby moved to halfback
good exp with some of the best players in the game

Super Cronk
17-05-06, 11:51 PM
Mathers ruled out for season- Rleague.com

Leeds Rhinos have announced that England international Richard Mathers will require a knee reconstruction that will rule him out for the rest of the 2006 season.

Mathers suffered the injury in the defeat to Hull at Headingley Carnegie on Friday and had a scan on Tuesday that revealed the extent of the injury.

The Leeds-born full back broke into the first team at the start of the 2004 Championship winning season, taking over from Great Britain star Gary Connolly. Since then Mathers has only missed two matches in 80 games for the Rhinos and is an ever present so far this season.

Commenting on the announcement Head Coach Tony Smith said, "It is a cruel blow for Richard and we all really feel for him. It is also a big blow for the team to lose any player for the rest of the season but especially someone like Richard. He has been in great form recently not just on attack but also defence, which he has done a lot of work on. He will have our full support throughout his rehabilitation and at 22 he has the best possible chance of making a full recovery and going on and having a long, successful career."

Dakink
18-05-06, 09:49 AM
Even with this injury - I still think he could be a good buy.

His price would just have dropped, plus with the right rehabilitation and working back through the feeder clubs, would allow him to recover and get up to pace with the Australian game.

DeeGan
18-05-06, 09:52 AM
Horrible news for Mathers, whilst he is young and has a long career ahead of him, this is horrible timing when the Rhinos are deep in to their Super League season with the Tri-Nations coming up at the end of the year.

I guess this is some way will impact on the Titans and Mathers too - it would not be ideal it must be said to have a fullback on the injured reserve list during the pre-season of 2006/07 when we are making our debut in the 2007 season.

DeeGan
18-05-06, 09:55 AM
Even with this injury - I still think he could be a good buy.

His price would just have dropped, plus with the right rehabilitation and working back through the feeder clubs, would allow him to recover and get up to pace with the Australian game.

Yes, he still is a potentially great signing though as I said above, it's not ideal. If we were a more established club, this is a non event, though given we are a club making our debut needing to hit the ground running, this is a potential blow to Mathers and the Titans.

The rehab at his age is not a concern, you would rather get this type of injury at 22 and not in your late 20's, early 30's...IF he was a Titan, the QLD Academy who looked after Joey I am sure would come in to play for the club :D