PDA

View Full Version : 'Kiwis' label could be axed

DIEHARD
14-05-06, 11:35 AM
New Zealand Rugby League will ditch the "Kiwis" tag when the national team plays Great Britain on June 28 in England - a history-making act that could foreshadow a similar move to to downgrade next year's Anzac test.

The NZRL wants to reserve the name "Kiwis" for their strongest-possible selections. Mostly northern hemisphere-based players will take the field against Great Britain at St Helens, so the league is banning the use of the popular nickname.

Some NZRL figures are also arguing that because Super League fixtures deny them several of their first choice players for the Anzac test, that should also face a reduced status.

Asked if that would be a good move, a cautious Kiwis coach Brian McClennan said: "It should only be the Kiwis when we can select all our players, that's always how it should be."

The June 28 fixture has also been devalued by the news that Super League will not stand down New Zealand players from fixtures on the weekend before the game, meaning two games three days apart for many players.

"That is up to the English - we thought they had cleared it, but apparently they hadn't," NZRL chairman Sel Bennett said.

That means Stacey Jones will play for the Catalans and Jason Cayless for St Helens less than 72 hours before the match kicks off.

AdvertisementAdvertisementThe Sunday Star-Times also understands midweek debate between British and Kiwi officials led to the NZRL allowing the game to retain test status after it was initially downgraded to a friendly. The British were concerned gates and sponsorship could fold if there was negative publicity.

McClennan still wants the Great Britain game to remain on the schedule next year, but for it to be played on a weekend and with NRL players available for selection. The British say they will schedule a clear weekend in Super League next year.

The coach believes his players need the extra fixture if they are to adapt to the intensity of tests against Australia and improve their win ratio against the Kangaroos.

"New Zealand should be playing Great Britain as often as possible to give us matches of the intensity that State of Origin gives the Australians.

"We should play this game next year on a weekend, so the NRL guys would miss only one match. The Australian players miss a club match to play State of Origin, so why shouldn't our players do that too?"

The Star-Times understands several leading Kiwi players asked their NRL clubs to be released for next month's game, but were turned down.

New Zealand will instead pick a handful of development players in the key positions of fullback, halfback, standoff (Parramatta's Jeremy Smith) and hooker (Bulldog Billy Ngawini).

Parramatta has the bye the weekend before the game and is comfortable with releasing its New Zealand players, which could mean props Nathan Cayless and Fuifui Moimoi also join the team.

"The gap between the lower grades and the NRL has just become too big for these guys to make the step up easily," said McClennan. "If some of them can get experience in this match it could help them step up to NRL squads.

"We need to do it for our own protection - if we have an injury to Brent Webb, what do we do? We have no other fullbacks eligible."

New Zealand will not select older Super League-based players who have no chance of pressing for Tri-Nations selection at the end of the year. "It will be a development match, anyone can see that," said McClennan. "It's an exercise in getting ready for the Tri-Nations, not an exercise on the scoreboard."

McClennan is still working on individual performance analysis from the 12-50 test loss to Australia nine days ago.

McClennan travels to England next Monday on a 10-day trip to promote the St Helens match in Britain.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz

Go_The_Doggies
14-05-06, 12:05 PM
i duno if i agree with it, its basiclly devaluing the black and white jersey if they aint gunna be called the kiwis coz it isnt a ful strength team, who cares if it isnt a full strength team, NZ will probably never have the players that they want to play coz nrl teams or esl wont let them play..so they mite aswell never be called the kiwis.

qld power
14-05-06, 01:30 PM
should be called newzealand a the team

Go_The_Doggies
14-05-06, 02:09 PM
Whats the bet this team will do better then our so called full strength team. I dont see how it isnt a full strength team when Stace is in it, and he wasnt in the anzac test yet that was a full strength team!!

Steelers
14-05-06, 02:17 PM
Basically this is what needs to happen... players need to be available for all Internationals REGARDLESS of what their club says and thinks.

Super Cronk
14-05-06, 02:34 PM
Basically this is what needs to happen... players need to be available for all Internationals REGARDLESS of what their club says and thinks.

I dont really agree with that 100%. With that being said...we need to do everything for international footy to make it stronger then ever, and that wont happen if the first graders arent let go to play for their country. BUT i can understand where the clubs are coming from, players can get injured and be out for the season...if im a first grade player then NRL and my club is the most important thing. Buts thats my opinion.

DIEHARD
14-05-06, 03:12 PM
This is a catch 22.

I agree with the intentions of the New Zealand Rugby League but it just isn't viable. Because unforunately in the current climate New Zealand would rarely be able to field a full team, even at the end of the year for Tri Nations, as the Super League season is still in progress when Australia play New Zealand.

It would further erode the crediability of international rugby league to the average eye.

We need to be working to properly organising our season schedules. Already there is word that next year this fixture will be possibly given a weekend time slot and if we could at least possibly give the Warriors a bye that same weekend it is a step forward.

Also bringing the NRL and Super League seasons insync.

DIEHARD
21-05-06, 09:06 PM
McClennan threatens to drop Kiwis name

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan has upped the ante on league bosses.

Just a week after questioning the validity of labelling the June 28 clash against Great Britain a "test", McClennan has now slated the use of the tag "Kiwis" for any match in which the national league team is under-strength -including future Anzac tests.

McClennan - who flies out to the UK today for a 10-day scouting mission - said he believed such a stance would put pressure on international league bosses.

"We need to be called the Kiwis when we can get all of our players," McClennan told Sunday News.

"To be fair about it, we really should only be called the Kiwis when we can select all of our players. The fact is, in mid-season we can't do that. I'm not just talking about the game in England, I'm talking about the Anzac test.

"We couldn't consider Paul Rauhihi, Ali Lauitiiti and Motu Tony for the Anzac test - in total there were seven players we couldn't have for some reason or another."

McClennan will select a match 17 for the June 28 clash which will be stacked with talent from the Super League - and up to two players from Parramatta.

The 10-day trip will include promotional work and also scouting talent for the New Zealand team.

"It will be a good chance to catch up with some of the players," McClennan said. "I watch all of the Super League games that I can. But this trip will be a good chance to see the players live and also talk to some of them."

McClennan said the clash would play an important part in his planning for the season-ending Tri-series.

"We want to help set up things so that when we play in the Tri-series we have a good foundation," he said.

"We want to develop players. Northern hemisphere-based players have felt a bit left out.

"When we play Australia in mid-season we have been restricted on how many we can select from up north. I know the English boys feel a bit hard done by. This is a good chance for them to get a run."

McClennan insists on calling his side "New Zealand", stating he doesn't want any national side to be known as the Kiwis unless he has every player available for selection.

He said that was his personal stance and one he'd stand by if Super League players refused to release Kiwi stars for future Anzac tests.

Parramatta are in the minority in allowing players to be selected -albeit fringe first-graders Jeremy Smith and Krisnan Inu.

Meanwhile, McClennan confirmed halfback Stacey Jones would be available for the Tri-series. But he was unsure if he will be selected for the June 28 game against Great Britain after being sidelined for the past two months with a broken arm.

It's unclear whether Les Catalans want their marquee player lining up in a test after missing most of the Super League.

"Stacey is available," he said. "When we won the Tri-series final, he made himself available for the Kiwis from now on. And he hasn't mentioned that this year would be his last for the Kiwis."

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/

DIEHARD
21-05-06, 09:09 PM
I agree with his sentiment but I wish he would campaign behind closed doors. This drama is tearing strips off the reputation of international rugby league, while we are in the process of coaxing a new blue chip sponsor into the international rugby league stable, XXXX.

Hopefully XXXX will continue to be committed to the fixture and we can build on what we have next year, giving the fixture the respect it deserves, but for now, like most times, we have to make do with what we have and the fact that we are even talking about a mid year northern hemisphere test match, in my eyes is fantastic...

SuperCliffy#01
22-05-06, 11:57 AM
Well i remember when there was two Australian sides.

Kangaroos, were players that played Great Britain in the tests on ashes tours.

Emus, were players the played either county teams on ashes tours and other test playing nations.

Now every game the players pull on the Green and Gold they are called Kangaroos, but to me they aren't Kangaroos they are the Emus.cya. :satan:

DIEHARD
22-05-06, 03:51 PM
Well i remember when there was two Australian sides.

Kangaroos, were players that played Great Britain in the tests on ashes tours.

Emus, were players the played either county teams on ashes tours and other test playing nations.

Now every game the players pull on the Green and Gold they are called Kangaroos, but to me they aren't Kangaroos they are the Emus.cya. :satan:

I thought they were Kangaroos on Ashes tours, and Australia in other regards. And Emus was the seconds team while on tour.

Either way they should bring back the Emus.

SuperCliffy#01
23-05-06, 02:36 PM
As i said, when the Australian Ashes squad plays in England, the Kangaroos play Great Britain and France whilst the Emus play county and club teams, also when France or Great Britain tour the Australian test team is the Kagaroos. But when we play the likes of New Zealand, South Africa and the like they are simply called the Australian test team, they call the current team the Kangaroos because of marketing.cya. :happy: