PDA

View Full Version : Titans supporting the community.

DeeGan
12-05-06, 02:19 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/bevhamer1.jpg

Titans supporting the community

Titans staff Scott Sattler and Steve Burns recently made a surprise visit to local cancer patient Beverly Hamer as part of a community effort to bring some much needed joy into her challenging life.

Bev, who has been battling Acute Myeloid Leukaemia since 2001 returned home from hospital in Brisbane last week to a renovated apartment thanks to the generosity of local businesses and individuals and the persuasiveness of her two daughters Paula and Kylie.

The Titans boys added that little something extra by presenting one of the very first framed Titans jerseys signed by Scott Sattler and John Cartwright and giant Titans footy which was gleefully passed around the backyard by Bev?s grandchildren and budding Titans Eli & Oliver.

Bev?s daughter Paula Beckton was tickled with the response ?The support from the local community has been over whelming - I cried when I found out what businesses were prepared to do - the plumbing, electrical, painting, landscape, patio area the whole lot! They have even supplied a bath, toilet and vanity to re-jig mums bathroom?

Bev herself has been a prodigious fund raiser for the cause having raised $110,000 for the Leukaemia Foundation following the loss of 3 close friends to the disease.

?While in the Gold Coast Hospital I made quite a lot of friends, in particular three ladies ? Natalie Austin, Ann-Maree Merrit and Heather Bacon. We became known as ?The Four Musketeers? she said. ?Unfortunately they have since passed away, leaving seven children and their partners behind. I was fortunate enough to go into remission early in my treatment and was able to have bone marrow transplant with my sister Margaret as my donor?

Bev had to return to Brisbane that night to continue her ongoing treatment. We wish her all the best and trust she?ll return to health and be home on the coast soon.

The jersey will be auctioned off at a future Titans event to assist with Bev?s treatment and home care.

Great story there :D

Teegy
12-05-06, 02:20 PM
Thats really good to see.

Dakink
12-05-06, 02:39 PM
Awesome - and the perfect way to build community spirit. The club isnt just about football - it is about making a family and stepping past sport.

RIP
12-05-06, 03:27 PM
Nice story but is Steve Burns DEEGAN

Dakink
12-05-06, 03:48 PM
aHH now that is something I hadnt thought of!!!

Are you MR.Burns actually our very own Captain Charger? lol!

I was joking....

DeeGan
12-05-06, 04:02 PM
Am I Steve Burns? Interesting....

Titanium_BD1103
12-05-06, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking Steve Burns maybe Captain Charger... :laugh: :laugh:... well done RIP... you maybe onto something.

This is a great story and once again great to see clubs doing good for others... shows that it is more than a game... :D :D

Steelers
12-05-06, 06:03 PM
It is always good to see a sporting club offering something back to the community :)

And in regards to the CC/DeeGan theory... the plot thickens :laugh:

RIP
12-05-06, 06:53 PM
No offence to capt. Charger but I've seen cc somewhere b4 but he is a bit struck by the ulgy stick & Mr Burns aka DEEGAN is a little more nicer as to speak ( Than again they maybe brother :) )

Queenslander
13-05-06, 08:40 AM
:thumbsup: Great work by the titans :clap:

~Wild Child~
13-05-06, 08:56 AM
Awesome - and the perfect way to build community spirit. The club isnt just about football - it is about making a family and stepping past sport. and therefore becoming a much stronger force...These guys would be an asset to any club...bet you're glad they are part of this family...

DIEHARD
13-05-06, 01:09 PM
One of the best stories I have read in a long time. I have always stressed the real off field benefits of rugby league and sport in general for the community.

With it you can do a lot of good and make a lot of people happy.

Bev's story was very heartbreaking and sombreing but her strength and bravery is so completely touching.