PDA

View Full Version : scotty prince/richie mathers

lonegull
11-05-06, 11:59 AM
'I want Origin jersey'
Steve Ricketts
Courier Mail

May 11, 2006

SCOTT Prince has set himself for a huge game for Wests Tigers against Newcastle's Test star Andrew Johns at Campbelltown on Sunday to force his way into the Queensland State of Origin side.

Prince, who last played against Johns in 2001, said yesterday he had put aside the disappointment of losing the Wests Tigers captaincy and was enjoying his football again.

Queensland's halfback in the 2004 Origin series, Prince said he was aware of speculation new Maroons coach Mal Meninga wanted him back in the side with last year's halfback Johnathan Thurston at five-eighth and Darren Lockyer at fullback.

"I haven't spoken to Mal but I've heard two different scenarios," Prince said. "One has Locky staying at five-eighth and the other has him at fullback.

"The bottom line from my point of view is to play well for the Tigers and that will enhance my chances of getting a start. I've had to go through a bit with my decision to sign with the Gold Coast for next year and then having to stand down from the (Tigers) captaincy.

"I didn't think losing the captaincy would hit me as hard as it did and it took me a few weeks to get my head around things.

"Now I'm getting back to enjoying my football and the Queensland selectors know how much representing the state means to me.

"It will be a huge challenge against Joey. I haven't played against him since my Broncos days."

That was in round 18, 2001 when Johns led the Knights to a 44-0 win over a Broncos team that included Lockyer, Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor, Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva.

Since then Johns and Prince have had their share of injuries but things really started to turn around for Prince in 2004 when he was named man of the match for Queensland in Game One of the Origin series when he marked Penrith's Craig Gower. Last year, Brett Kimmorley was NSW halfback in Origin 1 before Johns returned to lift the Blues to a series win.

Prince, one of the masterminds of the Tigers' 2005 premiership win, missed the Queensland preliminary camp this year because he was chosen to launch the 2006 NRL season on the same night as the Maroons gathered in Brisbane.

"I would have liked to be there because they had an opposed training run where they split up into positions and Alfie (Allan Langer) and Kevvie Walters took the halves," Prince said.

Walters said yesterday if Prince had a big match against Johns it could cause a few headaches in the selection room on Sunday.

"It won't harm his cause, put it that way," Walters said.

The selectors are believed to be leaning towards the retention of Lockyer at five-eighth after impressive recent displays for Australia and Brisbane. In that case it would come down to a choice between Thurston and Prince for the halfback job.

English fullback Richard Mathers is believed to have told his club Leeds he will join Gold Coast Titans next season.

lonegull
11-05-06, 12:01 PM
English fullback Richard Mathers is believed to have told his club Leeds he will join Gold Coast Titans next season.

Interesting ? great player

Teegy
11-05-06, 12:04 PM
Im not sure about signing English players. Carney is a good one because he has had a chance to play NRL standard of footy with the knights. Super league is a step below NRL and a superstar of ESL may not be as good as a NRL player.

and on Prince in the QLD i hope he makes it with Locky at FB and Prince an thurston in the halves.

Dakink
11-05-06, 12:04 PM

Interesting ? great player

Very Interesting...

lonegull
11-05-06, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Teegy]Im not sure about signing English players. Carney is a good one because he has had a chance to play NRL standard of footy with the knights. Super league is a step below NRL and a superstar of ESL may not be as good as a NRL player.

Have you seen mathers play he is a special talent a real tryscorer and seems to be always in the right place at the right time

Teegy
11-05-06, 12:07 PM
yer ive seen him play but not at a NRL standard of play. if he is going to be a titan i hope he proves me wrong but only a few ESL player have successfully made a change to Australia from England

Luke
11-05-06, 01:01 PM
The Mathers bit is interesting. Really i would perfer Greenshields over Mathers.

Dakink
11-05-06, 01:20 PM
I agree with Lonegull. Mathers can be something special.

patskE
11-05-06, 01:42 PM
oi can mathers sign at any time
are the rules different in the superleague compared to nrl with the june 30th rules?

lonegull
11-05-06, 02:49 PM
yeah i think in the super league they need permission from there clubs if they are contracted but i dont think they would come under the deadline

Titanium_BD1103
11-05-06, 04:10 PM
Well that puts doubt over the English claims.. both by Rhino here on this forum and the rumours in England that Richie is about to sign a new deal with Leeds...

DeeGan
11-05-06, 08:32 PM
Richie Mathers is the best young fullback in Great Britain and he will be pushing Wellens for the Great Britain job this Tri-Nations. As for the signing, I won't be counting my chickens before they hatch as they say...alot of rumours doing the rounds regarding the whereabouts of Mathers in 2007. Hopefully, we see him in the Titans jersey :D

patskE
11-05-06, 09:07 PM
hopefully we do deegen, hopefully we do
but i wouldnt mind if greeny was their ethier

DeeGan
11-05-06, 09:37 PM
hopefully we do deegen, hopefully we do
but i wouldnt mind if greeny was their ethier

I am a big fan of Clinton Greenshields, truth be known, he is my preferred fullback. Tough, safe, effective returner of the ball and proven in the NRL coming at a lower price than Mathers.

patskE
11-05-06, 10:35 PM
ethier one is good
onyl worry with mathers is how will he go about getting use to aussie weather and the style of play, carney has done a good job, dont see y he cant ethier
but yeh, i go for the staints currently, and i love greeny, his not scared to drive on the ball and is safe. he wouldnt be out of place in titans jerasy at all

The Original Idiot
12-05-06, 05:47 AM
I keep saying, sign Mathers AND Greenshields! I think Greenshields has the ability to play anywhere else in the backline.

patskE
12-05-06, 07:57 AM
greeny wants a starting spot, thats y he wants out of dragons
so mathers fullback
carny and peterson wings
only spot is a center but i rkn it be best if they got tonga and deleany

Luke
12-05-06, 08:35 AM
Perhaps Greenshields might stay at Dragons now since his perfered position is five-eighth and Trent Barrett is leaving.

DeeGan
12-05-06, 09:00 AM
Both as signings would be awesome, as pointed out, Greenshields played most of his junior career as a five-eight and was signed by the Broncos as a five-eight as an 18 y.o.

The good news, we cannot go wrong with Mathers or Greenshields.

Richie Mathers I have watched alot of with the mighty Leeds Rhinos (:D) and again, he is the best young fullback in GB push Paul Wellens all the way for the number one jersey in GB's Test side. To have a international quality fullback barking orders from the back in our debut season, UNBELIEVABLE!

Clinton Greenshields may not have the credentials of the Mathers though he is a proven commodity in the NRL.

All is positive anyway you look at it when discussing both players.

patskE
12-05-06, 09:15 AM
i didnt know he was an 5/8
maybe they will keep hornby at 5/8 and let him slot in at fullback
cause y wouldnt of they put greeny 5/8, barrent halfback and hornby at fullback if he preferred 5/8?
sorta indicates they want him as a fullback

Teegy
12-05-06, 09:19 AM
Greensheilds has played 5/8 but that was a few years ago. the problem with freeny at 5/8 is he lacks some attacking skills, he is awesome defender but he didn't cut it as a 5/8 in premier league so he wont in NRL.

also i hope if mathers comes over that he doesn't end up like that Parra Half. he was a up and coming star in ESL and he really struggled to play a NRL standard of footy

DeeGan
12-05-06, 09:20 AM
i didnt know he was an 5/8
maybe they will keep hornby at 5/8 and let him slot in at fullback
cause y wouldnt of they put greeny 5/8, barrent halfback and hornby at fullback if he preferred 5/8?
sorta indicates they want him as a fullback

I think Greenshields will play out his NRL career as a fullback.

patskE
12-05-06, 01:26 PM
yeh if he didnt get a go at 5/8 when head was out before
wats the difference now

The Original Idiot
12-05-06, 09:26 PM
also i hope if mathers comes over that he doesn't end up like that Parra Half. he was a up and coming star in ESL and he really struggled to play a NRL standard of footy
The thing is, Chris Thorman was clearly not ready to take such a big step. And he went to Parra, and Brian Smith is pretty bad at developing young players (with the exception of Tim Smith, he must've learned something along the line).

Mathers is more ready to take the step than Thorman ever was IMO.