PDA

View Full Version : Disney say no thanks to McDonalds Happy Meals

Titanium_BD1103
10-05-06, 06:38 PM

Disney ends Happy Meals deal
11.08AM, Tue May 9 2006

Disney is to end its McDonald's Happy Meals deal allegedly in a bid to distance itself from the fast food link to child obesity.

The ten-year-old cross-promotional pact, worth $1 billion to Disney, saw figurines of popular film characters packaged in a special box with a burger, French fries and a drink.

McDonald's paid $100 million in royalties and conducted 11 promotions a year for Disney films, videos and TV shows, according to reports. The Hollywood giant will continue to have McDonald's restaurants in its theme parks.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Pixar animation Cars, to be released during the summer, will be the last films to feature in a Happy Meals box.

McDonald's has said the reports from the US are misrepresentative and based on "Hollywood hearsay". The fast food giant said the alliance is mutual.

The company's senior vice president of corporate relations, Jack Daly, said: "McDonald's decision to not renew the exclusive alliance with Disney also allows us to work with other studios - and we have a number of relationship discussions under way."

Meanwhile, a Walt Disney Studios statement said: "While our contract with them will expire at the end of the year, we look forward to a more flexible, non-exclusive relationship where we will be working with them on a case-by-case basis."

Unhappy ending for Disney's happy McMeal
By Rachel Abramowitz
May 9, 2006

FOR 10 years, the Walt Disney company and McDonald's appeared to have the perfect marriage. "Happy meals" bore little figurines of Nemo, Mr Incredible and dogs from 101 Dalmatians.

But no more. This is one relationship that's ending because of the children.

Disney is not renewing its cross-promotional pact with the fast-food giant, which comes to a close with the release of Cars and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. The reason, said Disney sources, is that the company that prides itself on being family friendly wants to distance itself from fast food ? and its links to the epidemic of childhood obesity.

Disney is not the only studio that thinks french fries loaded with fats may be too hot to handle.

DreamWorks is working with McDonald's to promote Shrek 3, due out next year. But one studio source said there was internal debate about whether the lovable green ogre should steer clear of Chicken McNuggets and Big Macs in favour of healthier fare on McDonald's menu, such as salads.

The end of the happy meal partnership comes at a time when the processed and fast-food industries are under fire through growing concerns about expanding waistlines, particularly among children.

Last week, former US president Bill Clinton succeeded in removing sugary sodas from elementary school campuses. But some say the more discreet actions of the entertainment industry ultimately could have a greater influence, especially if other corporate giants follow suit.

"I think it would have impact in contributing to the cultural change that is necessary," said Dr Michael McGinnis, chairman of a National Academy of Science panel that released a study showing how food marketing adversely affects children's diets.

Sources on both sides of the agreement said the parting of the ways was mutual. But it's not a complete divorce.

McDonald's fare will continue to be a staple in Disney's theme parks. Disney also is leaving open the possibility of McDonald's promotions geared towards adults.

Disney released a statement praising its long relationship with McDonald's: "While our contract with them will expire at the end of the year, we look forward to a more flexible, non-exclusive relationship where we will be working with them on a case-by-case basis."

Disney has not signed any new promotional deals with fast-food providers. Industry analysts said the breakup would inevitably force Disney and McDonald's to find new promotional outlets.

"Fast food has been a very important promotional partner in promoting films to children," said industry analyst Lowell Singer.

While nutritionists caution that fast food isn't the only culprit when it comes to childhood obesity, it's certainly a factor.

Happy meals are marketed to children aged between three and nine years.

A happy meal with a cheeseburger, small fries and Sprite is 2.8 kilojoules, with 26 grams of fat and 4.5 grams of trans fat ? the kind that experts say is particularly dangerous.

LOS ANGELES TIMES

This is not good... for a person who grew up on Disney Mcdonalds Happy meals... I am very saddened to see it end... :') ... and hope that McDonalds can continue to have Disney in their happy meals with some movies at least as Kids deserve to have the fun and excitement we did.

It brings forth a bigger issue though...and one that around media circles is starting to become rife... and that is whether McDonalds are getting ready to axe the happy meal all together, due to parent groups threatening legal action as the meals encourage unhealthy eating and are responsible for obese children... :(

From: http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3682545

EDITORIAL: Creating a nation of dependents
LOUIS PIERARD

It becomes a self-fulfilling ambition when the state is determined to be everybody's mum.

Green MP Sue Kedgely seems to believe all New Zealand's helpless children dwell in a vacuum of parental neglect, thrown to the mercy of greedy, plotting multinationals.

She has decided that only her intervention can protect a nation of obese waifs and strays. Combining a loathing of big business with evidence of her own indispensability, Ms Kedgely wants to ban McDonalds' "happy meals" along with promotional toys that entice children and generate "pester power" for parents. She says happy meals are "a very blatant example of how food companies directly target children .

.. getting rid of toys is a step in the right direction".

It would seem that a legislative answer exists for everything, especially if it avoids the need to reveal where the real problem lies.

Instead of being inspired by the worst example to construct a snarl of regulations, Ms Kedgely would do far more good by pointing out the stupidity of those who allow themselves to be manipulated by their children. However, so strong is the reluctance to identify such a failure, Ms Kedgely is oblivious to her insult of assuming parental dereliction of everyone.

By its nature, advertising is persuasive. The more sophisticated it gets, the more that is required by adults, on behalf of their children, to assess its claims intelligently. In many cases the marketers are more successful than the parents. Many corporates target children to sell their products. In homes where the charms of the fast-food salesmen work a treat parents have simply surrendered (if they put up much of a fight in the first place).

The modern phenomenon of victim-making means no blame can be placed on those who fall down on the job. They are as helpless as they make their children. "Gumption" is no longer a virtue but an accusation uttered by the heartless and arrogant. Victimisation works in the war against the tobacco companies; it should work for everything else, too, from the causes of crime to "what they make us eat".

Taken to excess, McDonalds can make people grossly fat. But unlike tobacco it is not addictive, even if the two are spoken of in the same contemptuous breath.

The antidote for obesity is not to ban advertising of anything alluring and fat-forming - and that vast list would include bread and milk, as well as TV and computer games - but by promoting the need for parents to take control.

However, the more that the state takes over on the assumption that hopeless parents are the norm, then the more likely it will achieve its aim of creating a nation of dependents and Ms Kedgely will be mother to millions.

I say if that happens.... I will be angered as for me... it is up to parents to ensure their kids stay fit, with loads of exercise and only having McDonalds once in a while. We should not deprive our kids of this special experience of getting a toy in their meal just because parental groups reckon it causes obesity... :box: :box:

I reckon if anything, make Happy Meals healthier, perhaps instead of chips and softdrink, a nice healthy burger, a fruit juice and some salad.

ANYTHING BUT REMOVING WHAT IS AN INSTITUTION... :')

I want to hear what you have to say though... vote now.. do you think its McDonalds responsibility to ensure kids don't get obese along with the parents, or is this the sole responsibility of parents.

Queenslander
10-05-06, 06:43 PM
Its the parents responsiblity to determine what their kids eat, if parents are unhappy than go someplace else. This whole argument about the kids being brainwash, its possible....but the parents have the final say. If a kid is begging for McDonalds for the toy, than just buy the toy and give the kid an apple to eat!!!

And as for Disney losing the happy meal licence....ah well, I have hundreds of happy meal toys that have never been opened, so i will keep those for a rainy day. :D

DeeGan
10-05-06, 07:37 PM
"Pester Power" is the buzz word in marketing today and it works when it looking at the demographic McDonalds target with their happy meal toys...

It is the responsibility of parents to fight the growing trend of obesity in children. I never had McDonalds every week when growing up and when we did have it, it was like a treat to an extent given there was not a Macca's on every corner. We may have got it after footy on the weekend, on a Sunday afternoon, mum and dad simply ensured we ate right during the week and spent alot of time outside being active NOT sitting on the Playstation (or back then, Sega or Nintendo).

Blaming fast food solely is a cop out from parents who simply cannot say no to their children or who are flat out lazy when it comes to the health of their children.

Will this action from Disney have an impact on children wanting a happy meal? Of course, though Macca's will find something else to replace the Disney brand.

Steve Dangerous
10-05-06, 08:29 PM
another mcdonalds barring:

http://www.okayplayer.com/blast/gnarlsbarkley/justsayno.html

Social Loafer
10-05-06, 08:53 PM
I think the whole "bad food" excuse is a huge cop out that just shifts the blame..
At the end of the day there is no such thing as a "bad food" their are healthy, and not so healthy choices. I think a huge problem is the whole negative association of food, it is such an easy target...

All schools should be made to give their students a MINIMUM of half an hour physical education a day, and by physical education I mean sports that involve them runnign around, not putting them in a room and giving them a sports video to watch..

Don't know about other states, but here in the ACT they are starting to phase out all "junk food". IMO this is just a band aid problem that doesnt actually fix the actual issue..

Anyway, like Deegan said, it is the parents responsibility to make sure their kids do some form of physical exercise... Instead of just the playstation...

Super Cronk
10-05-06, 08:58 PM
Why is only maccas getting singled out tho? As schifty said...school canteen food isnt very healthy...niether is any other burger or pizza shop.

Social Loafer
10-05-06, 09:02 PM
Why is only maccas getting singled out tho? As schifty said...school canteen food isnt very healthy...niether is any other burger or pizza shop.

Because Macca's is such an easy target..

Anyone remember that clown who tried to prove a point by only eating Maccas for 30 days? What a waste of time, no one easts Macdonalds for every meal of the week.. If anything that bloke just gave Maccas a big free publicity plug, and me and many other people I know actually felt like eating maccas after veiwing it... :laugh:

But on Maccas, I think a lot of people forget all the good things Macdonalds does.. What about Ronald Mcdonald house?

Ofcourse it is far easier to focus on the negative stuff...

Steelers
10-05-06, 10:17 PM
My school (a high school) is being forced to get rid of all 'junk' food because of government laws. This includes lollies, soft drinks, potato gems, pies, potato scallops, hamburgers and spring rolls. All that is left is salad rolls and milk. It is disgraceful... alot of us high school students know how to look after ourselves and some of us even live independantly, and we aren't even allowed to have a bottle of soft drink?

Teegy
11-05-06, 07:59 AM
My school (a high school) is being forced to get rid of all 'junk' food because of government laws. This includes lollies, soft drinks, potato gems, pies, potato scallops, hamburgers and spring rolls. All that is left is salad rolls and milk. It is disgraceful... alot of us high school students know how to look after ourselves and some of us even live independantly, and we aren't even allowed to have a bottle of soft drink?
Bit different but thats what happened at my primary school.

Steve Dangerous
11-05-06, 06:08 PM

maccas is the biggest fish in the sea. the white whale, if you will.

Kallan
11-05-06, 06:44 PM
Same at my school except it happened a while ago.

Steve Dangerous
11-05-06, 06:52 PM
i think if maccas are going to target children so much with their advertising they should definately take some responsibility.

jenny
11-05-06, 09:57 PM
It's just amazing that it has taken 30years for the penny to drop....
:mad:

Eel 33
12-05-06, 08:45 AM
Maccas do have a responsibility. Nearly every suburb in metropolitan Australia has a Maccas restaurant or is no more than 5-10 mins drive from one. Flooding the fast food market like that is now becoming ridiculous. Within that 10 minute radius, i can pinpoint 10 Maccas restaurants around my place. You sit and think of how many are around where you live.
I believe that if they introduced the salad rolls and targetted them at adults, they should be doing the same with the happy meals. Leave the current options but add healthier options to the menu that are for kids.
As for changing whats available at school canteens, its a great idea, particularly in primary schools. High Schools should follow the lead as well, but it sounds like its already happening.

SuperCliffy#01
12-05-06, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately in today's society people are easily provoked into the blame game and don't except resonsability for themselves, you see it all the time very obese people eating at fast food places stuffing their faces with the fatty foods, and yet they are the first to blame Maccas for their obesity.

I think that Disney has made a courageous decision to cut it's ties with Maccas, we'll see if it is the right one.cya.

jenny
12-05-06, 10:27 AM
Totally Agree :clap: