PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis issues stern warning

DeeGan
05-05-06, 08:22 AM
Kiwis issues stern warning
By Steve Mascord
May 5, 2006

NEW Zealand halfback Thomas Leuluai has admitted the Kiwis will have to get "dirty" to win tonight's Anzac Test and declared Australia have run out of excuses for losing.

After a week of sniping, rival coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan chose their words carefully as they completed preparations for a rematch of last year's Tri-Nations final in which a New Zealand victory ended 17 years of Australian dominance in international football.

But feelings continue to run high, Leuluai telling The Daily Telegraph: "If we try to out-skill or outplay the Australians, we're going to have a hard day.

"But if we get it dirty and make it hard for them, make them try and run after us. That's what we want.

"There's no tricks up our sleeves. If we make it tough, make it hard, we make it as physical as we can, then hopefully our forward pack will overcome them.

"I think a lot of pressure is on them. They've got Andrew Johns back, (Nathan) Hindmarsh ... there's no excuses for them now."

Match eve developments yesterday included:

* STUART again piling the pressure on Benji Marshall, suggesting the Kiwis had deliberately hidden the nature of his shoulder injury;
* STUART coach saying he would push on with plans to meet English-based Australian referee Ashley Klein, despite New Zealand coach Brian McClennan's insistence that "you shouldn't be putting any pressure on him";
* McCLELLAN again having a shot at Australia for spending half their week in camp at Sydney. "I think they should have been up here, too, don't you?" he said;
* AUSTRALIAN Rugby League general manager Geoff Carr confirming there were no rules compelling the Kiwis to name their starting side at all before kick-off;
* FORMER Australia halfback Allan Langer presenting the Kangaroos jerseys.

"There's a lot at stake for Benji," Stuart said, in reference to the Wests Tigers star's return from a dislocated shoulder. He's playing injured and there's a lot of pressure on him to perform.

"That's why they're risking his injury and obviously hiding him through the week from any media or coverage regarding the injury itself.

"There's a bit of pressure on the kid. We'll see how he comes up after the game."

But McClennan countered: "His shoulder is really stable, his confidence is high and he's a confident kid anyway."

In some behind-the-scenes intrigue yesterday, Klein refused to meet Stuart without McClennan being present, according to the Queensland Rugby League, and instead went sightseeing.

The Daily Telegraph

Gotta love Stuart, he just knows how to get under the skin of an opponent - I love having him as the National Coach :D

This Test is the most anticipated in some time, this is how Test football should be and slowly but surely, it will once again be the pinnacle of the game (I believe it is already) for the majority of fans out there.

Dakink
05-05-06, 08:58 AM
I agree - Stuart, like Bennett before him, has placed a huge amount of value on the Green and Gold jersey! Glad Im gonna be there!

Eel 33
05-05-06, 10:43 AM
Will be watching eagerly from my lounge room.

Townsville Titan
05-05-06, 02:34 PM
Quote for the AUSSIES:

Hit'em High, Hit'em Low, Hit'em With The Ol' ELBOW