PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Panthers almost lost Priddis

Queenslander
03-05-06, 06:14 PM
Panthers almost lost Priddis
By Adrian Proszenko
May 3, 2006

PENRITH hooker Luke Priddis says a lack of respect from club officials almost forced him out of the NRL club at the end of the season.

Priddis this week re-signed with Penrith till the end of the 2008 season, ending speculation he was bound for the Gold Coast.

The sticking point through negotiations was the length of the new deal, with Priddis wanting a two-year arrangement while the Panthers originally only wanted to offer a one-year deal.

In the end the club ceded to Priddis' wishes.

"I didn't want to be playing for a year-to-year contract, I think I deserve a little bit more respect than that," Priddis said tonight.

"Finally we came around and agreed to terms.

"I thought I deserved a little bit more respect, I feel I've given the club and game good service and they know what I'm all about."

Priddis said he was particularly frustrated by comments from Penrith general manager Mick Leary, who described him as "the most professional player I have ever met", yet initially only offered him a one-year deal.

"It was disappointing hearing all this stuff about how professional I am and then being treated like the new kid on the block," he said.

"It's all business, but it's hard when you deal with it personally.

"The main thing is we got everything sorted out for '07-08 and the possibility of '09.

"I didn't like the way the administration handled it but we've managed to sort it all out."

The former New South Wales State of Origin rake said he always wanted to finish his career in Penrith.

"It's disappointing to see (coach) John (Lang) leave but I suppose bringing in a new coach is like going to a new club," he said.

"Now that it's all set in concrete I'm looking forward to a change and we'll see what the new coach has to offer."

AAP

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 06:28 PM
Good on ya Priddis!!! We had a forum topic in the Panthers forum labelled "Plz Stay Priddis" which entailed everyones personal thoughts on Priddo staying with the Mighty Panthers. I suppose some-one out there who knew him had read it and invited him to read what his fans thought of him... Hopefully he did read it cos it would have been a great loss to lose him.

He's usually the top-tackler in every match. His dummy-half runs gives us excellent field posession.... and who could forget his famous "close-to-the-line" tries from dummy half!! A true Panther through and through who aided the Panthers to their 2003 Minor Premiership and Grand Final victory. :mine:

Steelers
03-05-06, 06:29 PM
He would have been a HUGE loss for the boys out west.

Queenslander
03-05-06, 06:32 PM
Wayne Bennett still regrets letting Priddis go from the Broncos :(

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 07:11 PM
John Lang nearly felt his regret...

Eel 33
04-05-06, 02:42 PM
Penrith should've offered better in the beginning. At least they've come to their senses, good to see some stability remaining at the Panthers.

Titanium_BD1103
04-05-06, 03:01 PM
John Lang nearly felt his regret...

Um... wouldn't that be Matthew Elliot... John Lang wouldn't have cared... he isn't going to be head coach of the Panthers in season 2007... :laugh: :laugh:

It is good though to see Priddis stay at Penrith, the fans really like him and he is a good player.. glad to see everything turned out well and he got to stay where he wants to be.. and I look forward to seeing him playing for Penrith and doing well too.. :)