Interchange:
14) Frank Puletua
15) Craig Stapleton
16) Frank Pritchard
18) Paul Aiton

Referee: B Cummins.

Queenslander
02-05-06, 07:07 PM
Its good to see Brenton Bowen get a chance at the big time, hopefully both the Bowen's will work well with one another.

Townsville Titan
02-05-06, 08:24 PM
..Dont know why Thurston's there... the day after Test match and all... Oh well, the Panthers will win either way i suppose!!!

Queenslander
03-05-06, 10:57 AM
It didnt take the Cowboys long to realise that Southern should have never been dropped.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOS recall for Southern
The Courier Mail
Ben Dorries
May 03, 2006

NORTH Queensland has rushed back tough-tackling defender Steve Southern to try to halt an "inept" form wobble that has evoked memories of the Cowboys' bad old days.

Backrower Southern, one of the NRL's most feared defenders, will return from a one-week stint in the Queensland Cup for Saturday's home clash against Penrith.

Star playmaker Johnathan Thurston has been shifted from five-eighth to halfback with tough utility Justin Smith his new partner in the halves.

Brett Firman has been named on an extended bench but won't play unless Thurston is injured in Friday's Test match against the Kiwis.

Fringe winger Brenton Bowen and centre Ashley Graham have been called up to first grade with winger Neil Sweeney the selection casualty.

Southern had been demoted to improve his tackling but has been welcomed back as a matter of urgency as the table-topping Cowboys try to reverse some bad signs from a two-game losing streak.

Coach Graham Murray read the riot act to players in a straight-talking video session after the poor 22-18 loss to the Roosters last weekend.

"I think it was probably one of the most inept performances we've done for a long time," Murray said.

"It goes back to a couple of years ago since we've made simple errors like that. All of that was pointed out to every player."

The Cowboys are far from settling on a permanent partner for Thurston.

Dakink
03-05-06, 12:14 PM
Is Sweeney injured? I didnt think he did too much wrong the other night - Brenton has been killing them in the QLD Cup, I hope he can step up now. Imagine two Bowens in first grade.

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 12:28 PM
My prediction...

Panthers: 28
Cowboys: 16

1st Try: Hookey
Last Try: Wesser

Campbell: 4/5 goals

Dakink
03-05-06, 12:37 PM
My prediction...

Panthers: 28
Cowboys: 16

1st Try: Hookey
Last Try: Wesser

Campbell: 4/5 goals

At Dairy Farmers?

I think you are being a little optimistic - though if Gower and co are truly fit then anything could happen - especially with the way the Cows have been playing, last week was dreadful.

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 12:42 PM
....they were.... even at Dairy Farmers stadium, and we will be fully fit due to our players not representing any test team except Pritchard. Gower, Puletua, Rooney, and Lewis all return from injury and wont have the burden of test-match fatigue with them. Cowboys have Thurston, O'Donnell, and another player (Cant remember, funny name) all backing up the next day to face the Mighty Panthers outfit - full strength...

Titanium_BD1103
06-05-06, 09:09 PM
FULL TIME SPOILER:

North Queensland have played well tonight and after a very sluggish start... they have shown some class through Bowen and Thurston to get the win... :)

North Queensland 22- Penrith 6

Dakink
07-05-06, 08:04 AM
good win for the Cows, gets them back on the winning track again - though the Panthers have some searching to do - injuries arent helping them.

Good crowd as well given it was raining - they sure love their footy up Far Nth QLD!

The Original Idiot
07-05-06, 03:00 PM
Brenton Bowen deserves to be playing NRL every week.

Queenslander
07-05-06, 05:01 PM
Brenton Bowen deserves to be playing NRL every week.

Totally agree, at the start of the season I predicted that he would be one of the rookies to watch, he needs more game time! A team with two Bowen's would be unstoppable :thumbsup:

Townsville Titan
08-05-06, 05:51 PM
I hated this game!!!
:') :') :') :') :') :') :')