PDA

View Full Version : Sharks player in another drunken incident for NRL

Queenslander
02-05-06, 08:57 AM
Another drunken incident for NRL
By Dean Ritchie
May 2, 2006

THE Sharks are ready to fine a player up to $5000 and to discipline sections of the team following a drunken day out in Sydney.

Club chief executive Greg Pierce yesterday confirmed an "incident" had occurred on Saturday - the day after the Sharks had beaten Penrith.

The drama comes a week after Bulldogs player Reni Maitua was stood down by his club for high-range drink-driving.

Pierce will conclude an investigation today or tomorrow and then consult the NRL.

He spoke to players as a group yesterday, and also telephoned managers of the Ship Inn at Circular Quay.

Pierce said he would not name the player until his investigation was complete.

The Daily Telegraph understands the player is not high profile, but will either be fined up to $5000 or be dropped.

The player confessed he had misbehaved.

The players were playing the drinking game of "pub golf".

"We won't be naming the player until we have completed the investigation," Pierce said.

"It is unacceptable from our point of view. We want to get all the information before we act upon it.

"There will be disciplinary action for one player. But we want to make sure he isn't left to take responsibility alone.

"If others are involved, we want to find out and they too will face action."

Pierce said the players went to two other Sydney pubs after the Ship Inn, but no further dramas had been reported.

While not playing down the incident, Pierce said: "No one was assaulted, no one was fighting and nothing was damaged."

NRL chief executive David Gallop was disappointed with the incident.

"We are waiting to receive a formal report from the Sharks," Gallop said.

"We expect our players to behave appropriately when in public."

The Bulldogs have given Maitua until Friday to answer the club's charges relating to a drink-driving offence.

The Daily Telegraph

DeeGan
02-05-06, 09:03 AM
I guess there will always be drunken footballers in the NRL....sad, but true. Players will never learn, this happens each and every year since I can remember further embarassing the game off the field.

Given the player is not 'high profile', I wonder if he will be made an example of? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Eel 33
02-05-06, 11:18 AM
Clubs need to have some backbone. ANY player that is at the centre of an incident, and found to guilty of an offence should be named and shamed. From a rookie to an international player, no exceptions. Maybe then the message will finally get through.

Titanium_BD1103
02-05-06, 12:48 PM
I think that the main issue here is that yes we have another player caught up with another drunken incident.. but more to the point.. we have another club that has players who have admitted to having a problem with Alcohol.. :( :(

I say that from this quote...

The player confessed he had misbehaved.

The players were playing the drinking game of "pub golf".

Now I agree that players should have a right to have fun and enjoy themselves when out.. and I don't want to get into an arguement again... however as people that others respect and some see as role models, playing drinking games such as pub golf are not a good idea... and it something that should be stamped out of the club culture in EVERY club... as it is causing too many issues... :(

But yes I agree that this player should be named... doesn't matter if he is lower grade or one of the elite.. he must be named...set precedent for everyone and reduce the chance of it occuring again.. :)

Super Cronk
02-05-06, 12:51 PM
Why dont the players just stay home and drink? they can drink all they want and do what ever they want. But when they go out in public thats when things go wrong.

Titanium_BD1103
02-05-06, 12:57 PM
I agree with you 100% there Cronk... :)

If they want to play drinking games.. like most people I know like to do... do it at home or at a mates house.. at least you aren't going to get in trouble.. unless you are stupid and drive home drunk or wander onto the street and cause a muck... :(

But I reckon in addition they need larger fines and penalities.. because this whole education thing just does not seem to work.... :( :(

Dakink
02-05-06, 01:41 PM
Why dont the players just stay home and drink? they can drink all they want and do what ever they want. But when they go out in public thats when things go wrong.

Solves alot of problems doesnt it - and unfortunately players, despite many being young adults, cant act like you or I can. The media and the public expect a higher level of behaviour purely because of the fact they can play a sport well that lots of people love. I feel for some of them, but doesnt change my view that they need to learn they ARE in the spotlight wether they like it or not.

Super Cronk
04-05-06, 10:36 PM
Update from Rleague.com

Following an incident in a Sydney hotel last Saturday evening two Sharks contracted players have been severely reprimanded and fined.

After extensive investigations by the Sharks club, which included the viewing of security video and the interviewing of hotel management and staff, Darren Mapp has been fined a substantial amount for behaviour seen by the Sharks club as being totally unacceptable.

A second player, Luke Harlen, has been fined a lesser amount for minor indiscretions at the same hotel.

These were the only two incidents reported by management which involved Sharks players with several senior players in fact complimented by management and staff of the hotel in question for their cooperation. No official complaint was lodged by the hotel in relation to the reported incidents.