View Full Version : Bundy Rum Test Match: Australia vs New Zealand

Queenslander
30-04-06, 06:29 PM
Australia vs New Zealand
Friday, 5th May 2006: 7:30pm
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
http://nrl.com/Portals/0/Galleries/76/320/bundy-320.jpg
AUSTRALIA:
1) Karmichael Hunt (Broncos) (Anthony Minichiello Ruled Out)
2) Matt King (Storm)
3) Mark Gasnier (Dragons)
4) Matt Cooper (Dragons)
5) Timana Tahu (Eels)
6) Darren Lockyer (Broncos, captain)
7) Andrew Johns (Knights)
8) Willie Mason (Bulldogs)
9) Danny Buderus (Knights)
10) Petero Civoniceva (Broncos)
11) Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)
12) Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels)
13) Ben Kennedy (Sea Eagles).
Interchange:
14) Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
15) Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs)
16) Steve Menzies (Sea Eagles)
17) Steve Simpson (Knights)
18) Brent Kite (Sea Eagles)

NEW ZEALAND:
1) Brent Webb
2) Jake Webster
3) Clinton Toopi
4) Paul Whatuira
5) Tame Tupou
6) Nigel Vagana
7) Benji Marshall
8) Jason Cayless
9) David Faiumu
10) Ruben Wiki (captain)
11) David Kidwell
12) Louis Anderson
13) Sonny Bill Williams.
Interchange:
14) Thomas Leuluai
15) David Fa'alogo
16) Roy Asotasi
17) Frank Pritchard

Referee: Ashley Klein

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=AUSNZ06&searchId=4606abc2-53e7-41e0-a4df-943e9ede939d

And Join the Roo Crew!: http://www.kangarooarmy.com/

Blunt_Beno
30-04-06, 06:31 PM
well done. was just looking for that haha. menzies? what the?

Queenslander
30-04-06, 06:34 PM
Bowen to answer SOS
By Phil Rothfield
April 30, 2006

NORTH Queensland sensation Matt Bowen is poised for a last-minute call-up for the Anzac Test as Australia fullback Anthony Minichiello races the clock to be fit.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Bowen has been placed on standby for Minichiello, who is in doubt for the trans-Tasman showdown with a hamstring problem.

He will be chosen as an extra player when the team is announced tonight and will fly to Sydney to go into camp with the squad.

Should the star Rooster be ruled out, Bowen will be handed his second Test cap after making his debut on the 2004 Tri-Nations tour.

Bowen, 24, has been in slashing form, highlighted by a brilliant solo try that sank the Knights in the round six top-of-the-table contest.

Test selectors last night remained tight-lipped about the move, but The Sunday Telegraph columnist Ricky Stuart has approached the selectors asking for a standby player.

Bowen has no fear of the pressure of representative football. He won Queensland the opening State of Origin clash last season after intercepting a Brett Kimmorley pass in extra-time.

The selectors believe Bowen's pace and footwork would torment the big New Zealand forwards.

The Kiwis are expected to pick British-based Lesley Vainikolo, Thomas Leuluai, Motu Tony and David Solomona in their squad, with Warriors lock Louis Anderson holding off a host of challengers for a starting berth.

But the unexpected availability of Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall has created a new headache - where to fit him in the side.

David Faiumu, Solomona, Sonny Bill Williams and Roy Asotasi were all thought to be pencilled in for bench spots.

One of them will miss out.

It may well be Wakefield's Solomona, who may find he has flown around the world to be a spectator.

Reports in Auckland suggested that Bradford's Shontayne Hape was unavailable because he promised his girlfriend he would remain in Britain.

The Kiwis had trouble opening the e-mail attachment with the Wests Tigers' clearance for Marshall on Friday. But it's thought Marshall might still start, despite his club's insistence he be named on the bench.

The Sunday Telegraph

DeeGan
30-04-06, 06:47 PM
This was my final team;

1 - Anthony Minichiello
2 - Timana Tahu
3 - Mark Gasnier
4 - Justin Hodges
5 - Matt King
6 - Darren Lockyer (c)
7 - Andrew Johns (or Thurston if Johns is not fit)
8 - Mark O'Meley
9 - Danny Buderus
10 - Petero Civoniceva
11 - Nathan Hindmarsh
12 - Luke O'Donnell
13 - Ben Kennedy

14 - Johnathon Thurston (or Mick Crocker if Johns injured)
15 - Willie Mason
16 - Luke Bailey
17 - Steve Simpson/Steve Menzies

Surprising to see Luke Bailey missed selection and the selectors opted for Mason to start ahead of O'Meley who was with Mason brilliant today.

Not much to not like about the side, the selectors have done a great job though I think Hodges on form would be there - Cooper will have a tough job for the remainder of 2006 to keep him out of the side. Can't wait for the Origin battle between those two.

The selection of Menzies is warranted, the veteran can cover just about any position and his form in a very good Manly side has been superb. Manly would be crazy not to resign him for at least two more seasons.

Dakink
30-04-06, 06:54 PM
I am to put it mildly - extremely surprised at the ommision of Bailer. Perhaps the fact he is report has hindered his chances? His first game back from injury v Roosters was World Class, and was one of the first players to be picked according to the radio comentators.

The rest is pretty much as expected - they have gone for tried and true rep players. Hodges may be unlucky, but he will be there come tri-nations. Looking forward to SOO Hodges v Cooper!

Blunt_Beno
30-04-06, 06:54 PM
Close deegan, well done.

I think they shoulda picked crocker ahead of menzies and i reckon mason and simpson should swap. but all in all its a decent team except for the fact either hodges or bell arent there.

Dakink
30-04-06, 09:21 PM
Found out why Bailey wasnt chosen;

Already starved of in-form options in the front row, selectors lost another candidate today - with St George-Illawarra workhorse Luke Bailey not considered for selection due to rib cartilage and knee injuries sustained in last night's loss to Melbourne.

Kallan
30-04-06, 09:45 PM
Thomas Leuluai (London Harlequins)

I thought that the kiwis couldn't get access to their players playing in England.

Kallan
30-04-06, 09:48 PM
I can't really complain with that Australian team, although i would have prefered Hodges ahead of cooper.

Steelers
30-04-06, 09:50 PM
I thought that the kiwis couldn't get access to their players playing in England.

A few (and I mean few) of the clubs released players for the test.

Queenslander
30-04-06, 09:50 PM
I can't really complain with that Australian team, although i would have prefered Hodges ahead of cooper.

Same I thought Hodges should have been in the side, but thats selectors for you. And hopefully Matty Bowen gets into the side and replaces Minichello, if Minichello is injured than we shouldn't risk it.

Kallan
30-04-06, 09:54 PM
Okay, thanks for that.

Old Diehard
30-04-06, 10:50 PM
Justin Hodges may well feel cheated if Gasnier, takes the money. Shame I can't be there but I gotta work!!!!

Dakink
01-05-06, 08:08 AM
Hunt - I really really hope Mini gets there fine!

Karmichael in the hunt
By Steve Ricketts
May 1, 2006

NEW Zealand-born fullback Karmichael Hunt is a hamstring twinge away from making his Test debut for Australia against the Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Hunt yesterday leapfrogged North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen as the likely replacement for Sydney Roosters star Anthony Minichiello, who had to survive a fitness test on his suspect hamstring yesterday before being named Australia fullback.

Bowen was bombed out of Test calculations by Ricky Stuart's Sydney Roosters in Townsville on Saturday night when the Cowboys crashed to a shock 22-18 loss.

Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston is the only squad debutant, joining Brisbane Broncos pair Darren Lockyer and Petero Civoniceva as the only Queenslanders.

Australia coach Stuart pinpointed Bowen as a weakness in Townsville and the diminutive Cowboys star was found wanting several times under the high ball.

Asked after the match about Bowen's performance, Stuart said: "All fullbacks struggle under those sort of high balls."

There is little doubt Stuart came away convinced Bowen would be a risk against the Kiwis and yesterday morning, before Minichiello's fitness test, there were intense discussions between the Test coach and selectors Des Morris and Les Geeves (Queensland), and Bob McCarthy and Bob Fulton (New South Wales).

The outcome was a decision to bring Hunt into camp as 18th man if there was any doubt over the fitness of Minichiello.

McCarthy said Minichiello's impressive hitout negated the need for an extra player. "Anthony's ready to roll," he said.

But if Minichiello should break down Hunt is set to get the call, which would be a massive show of faith in the 19 year old, who has yet to play State of Origin for Queensland and has been targeted by the Kiwis many times to turn out for the country of his birth.

Hunt, who has lived in Brisbane since he was 11, reiterated last month his intention to strive for Queensland and Australia selection.

While the Broncos and Cowboys share the NRL lead with Melbourne, selectors did not increase the Queensland representation.

Three players is the same number as last year when Australia lost the Tri-Nations final 24-0 to the Kiwis.

There are 10 survivors from that Australia side with Brent Tate, Jason Ryles and Craig Gower not considered because of injury while Trent Barrett, Craig Fitzgibbon, Craig Wing and Steve Price missed out.

McCarthy said the Queensland selectors had gone into bat for Broncos centre Justin Hodges, who he conceded was the unlucky omission with St George-Illawarra's Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper getting the nod. Gasnier's possible defection to rugby union was not discussed by the selectors.

"They all picked themselves," McCarthy said. "The side is that strong we've left out players of the calibre of Wing and Fitzgibbon."

Asked about Thurston's selection, McCarthy said: "He's picked himself the way he's been playing. He's an ideal utility player."

On the omission of Wing, Stuart said: "I'm very happy with the team the selectors have chosen."

The Courier-Mail

DeeGan
01-05-06, 08:58 AM
I think Matt Bowen should be a little p###ed off to read the above - sure, he did not have his best game vs the Roosters though you cannot not fault his form in the previous 7 rounds of the competition. Surely one game does not have such an impact? Obviously it does and the selectors should give themselves an uppercut. Hunt is not ready for Test football nor is he good enough when looking at the fullbacks we have ahead of him.

I can only hope QLD selectors are not leaning toward Karmichael at the back for QLD come S.O.O.

Dakink
01-05-06, 09:20 AM
I stil think it may hark back a little to the games under pressure where Bowen has gone missing. If I remember rightly one of those was v the Roosters in a semi. Rightly or wrongly Ricky may remember that, I guess as a coach he would remember poor performances against his teams. He obviously targeted Bowen in defence and he was founf out under the high bakll a few times. But then so was Hunt v the Dragons.

Steelers
01-05-06, 10:19 AM
There are 1000 better fullbacks in the comp to replace Mini... Bowen is the obvious choice :whatd: but then there is Hodgson, Hornby, Wesser, Schifoske, the list goes on!

..::Coops::..
01-05-06, 10:46 AM

yeah it was only the clubs that played on the friday ( i think) that let their players play - cos that way they only missed one game -or something like that

Queenslander
01-05-06, 01:05 PM
Well its official Hunt has joined the squad. Dont get me wrong, Hunt is a good player, but he doesnt deserve an Australian jersey yet. Could this just be some mind games being dished out by Ricky Stuart seeing that Hunt is in theory a Kiwi.

Hunt joins Test squad
May 1, 2006

BRISBANE Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt has been flown to Sydney to join the Australia rugby league Test squad as standby for the injured Anthony Minichiello.

Hunt was contacted last night and flew out of Brisbane early today, with Minichiello working to overcome a hamstring injury ahead of Friday night's Suncorp Stadium Test with New Zealand.

Minichiello was cleared at the team medical last night and was taking part in a light training run this morning, but it was considered prudent to have Hunt on standby as 18th man if needed.

Hunt's call-up is expected to cause controversy across the Tasman as he is New Zealand born, but the youngster has frequently stated an ambition to play State of Origin football for Queensland, which would rule him out of representing the Kiwis.

It's also likely to cause a stir in North Queensland as Hunt got the nod ahead of Cowboys and Queensland Origin fullback Matt Bowen.

Reports today said Bowen had been pencilled in as 18th man until he had a poor game, dropping several high balls, in the loss to Test coach Ricky Stuart's Sydney Roosters in Townsville on Saturday night.

AAP

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 01:24 PM
Roosters.com .au

A lower back problem has forced Australian fullback Anthony Minichiello out of Friday night?s Bundaberg Rum Rugby League Test against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

Nineteen year old Brisbane Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt has been named as his replacement and will train with the team this afternoon. Hunt joined the team at their Sydney base late this morning after a decision by selectors to add him as 18th man in the squad.

Minichiello was put through a full scale fitness test of his injured hamstring on Sunday afternoon and passed fit to play.

?There was no doubt Mini was desperate to play and he did everything we could have asked in the fitness test,? ARL Chief Executive Mr Geoff Carr said today.

?However when he was further assessed that night there was some ongoing concern over whether a lower back problem he has been carrying did not make the overall risk too high for him and the team.

?After discussions with team medical staff, the selectors made a late request for Karmichael Hunt to be put on stand by and asked to fly to Sydney today as a precaution.

?Anthony had a light work out this morning and following a later assessment by team doctor Hugh Hazard we decided it was best that Anthony be ruled out.?

Hunt will join fellow Queenslander Johnathan Thurston as Test debutants in the most keenly anticipated Trans Tasman contest in years.

?Karmichael has been long recognised as an outstanding talent and to see him make his debut along with Johnathan Thurston adds an exciting dimension to the team.? Mr Carr said

?Karmichael has had to beat an outstanding array of fullbacks and it?s a real credit to him to have done so.

Hunt!!!

He is useless! Ild have Tronc at fullback over Hunt.

Steelers
01-05-06, 01:29 PM
Thats the last straw.... these selectors are frigging useless! Time and time again they show how incompetent they are and this is the final straw. I have now decided to support NZ in International Rugby League. I am sorry but thats the way I feel.

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 01:31 PM
Thats the last straw.... these selectors are frigging useless! Time and time again they show how incompetent they are and this is the final straw. I have now decided to support NZ in International Rugby League. I am sorry but thats the way I feel.

Its disgraceful right?

Schifcofske
Inglis
Bowen
Wesser
Hodgson

Are all in form and better then Hunt on his best day. Another joke selection....unfortunately they are increasing every year.

Queenslander
01-05-06, 01:36 PM
Its disgraceful right?

Schifcofske
Inglis
Bowen
Wesser
Hodgson

Are all in form and better then Hunt on his best day. Another joke selection....unfortunately they are increasing every year.

All of the above are far superior to Hunt. This selection is so out of left field that its not funny! Again I think its mind games being played by the Australian's to fire up the Kiwi's. Or his selection is just to keep Broncos supporters happy and to boost attendance ;)

Eel 33
01-05-06, 01:36 PM
Matt King and Timana Tahu ought to be the centres, they have form on the board compared to Cooper and Gaz.

Queenslander
01-05-06, 01:55 PM
Mini ruled out, Hunt to debut
May 1, 2006

NEW Zealand-born Karmichael Hunt will make his Test debut for Australia in Friday's clash with the Kiwis after Kangaroos fullback Anthony Minichiello was ruled with a lower back injury today.

Minichiello passed a fitness test of his injured hamstring yesterday afternoon, but was today rubbed out after an assessment by team doctor Hugh Hazard on a lower back problem.

The withdrawal has opened the way for 19-year-old Brisbane custodian Hunt to make his international debut.

The call-up is expected to cause controversy across the Tasman given Hunt was born in New Zealand, but he has frequently stated an ambition to play State of Origin for Queensland, which would rule him out of playing for the Kiwis.

On Minichiello's withdrawal, Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said: "There was no doubt Mini was desperate to play and he did everything we could have asked in the fitness test (on his hamstring).

"However when he was further assessed that night there was some ongoing concern over whether a lower back problem he has been carrying did not make the overall risk too high for him and the team.

"After discussions with team medical staff, the selectors made a late request for Karmichael Hunt to be put on standby and asked to fly to Sydney today as a precaution.

"Anthony had a light work out this morning and following a later assessment by team doctor Hugh Hazard we decided it was best that Anthony be ruled out."

Hunt will join North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston as Test debutants for the match at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

AAP

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 02:00 PM
Its disgraceful right?

Schifcofske
Inglis
Bowen
Wesser
Hodgson

Shif? Puh-lease, he does nothing outstanding, I'd rate Hunt above him.

Inglis I dunno, I guess we havne't seen enough of him.

Bowen, I stated in the other thread I would pick him, but is suspect sometimes under high ball, only reason I can pick.

Wesser - He struggles at S.O.O time, not really a great choice for Aus, I dont rate him that much.

Hodgo- still injured is he? Im not sure.

It is a pretty crazy decision, but Hunt is a good player who works well with Locky, I still would have liked Bowen over Hunt, but they chose who they chose, we can only hope he plays well for Australia.!

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 02:08 PM
"puh-lease" Broncosgirl....your bias is really showing there. I know your a hunt fan and a broncos fan but hunt is no where near the players i mentioned....thats my opninion but its one shared by people who arent being biased. Look at stats...look at their game Hunt is a decent fullback...who has a stupid step...he is barely in my top 10 fullbacks in the comp.

schif is prolly the best defending fullback and is great under the high ball, hunt is bad in both areas.

Queenslander
01-05-06, 02:10 PM
"puh-lease" Broncosgirl....your bias is really showing there. I know your a hunt fan and a broncos fan but hunt is no where near the players i mentioned....tahts my opninion but its one shared by people who arent being biased. Look at stats...look at their game Hunt is a decent fullback...who has a stupid step...he is barely in my top 10 fullbacks in the comp.

schif is prolly the best defending fullback and is great under the high ball, hunt is bad in both areas.

I agree with you super cronk, Hunt does not match up to the other options available....and im a bias broncos fan! :lol!: Bowen IMO should be in that test squad.

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 02:12 PM
The following players are better then Hunt at fullback:

Bowen
Thaiday
Inglis
Hornby
Stewart
Wesser
Schifcoske

And there is Slater and Hodgson who are out injured and suspended.

This is the biggest joke of a selection in rugby league history!

qld power
01-05-06, 02:14 PM
i hope karmicheal goes alright even though i bagged him for going for qld in front of his country of birth god menzies is in team that was shocker :rotflmao:

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 02:18 PM
"puh-lease" Broncosgirl....your bias is really showing there. I know your a hunt fan and a broncos fan but hunt is no where near the players i mentioned....thats my opninion but its one shared by people who arent being biased. Look at stats...look at their game Hunt is a decent fullback...who has a stupid step...he is barely in my top 10 fullbacks in the comp.

Im not being biased, well as much as u probs think. I just don't rate Shif that much, hes solid, nothing special. I like the fact Hunt can create exciting plays, can link up with Locky well, his defense has improved immensly, and he hardly uses his step anymore. Im sorry that my opinion doesnt match up with yours.

I did state that I would pick Bowen ahead of Hunt and Hodgo, but they aren't picked are they? So im just wishing Hunt the best.

Yes I rate Hunt, perhaps a little more beacuse Im biased, perhaps you don't rate him as much as you should because you hate him, or hes not in your team or whatever, it works both ways.

Thaiday and Inglis are good but don't have much under their b elt, Hunt is in his 3rd year of top grade, I guess they consider that more experience. Stewart, imo is nothing great, sure hes solid, but again does nothign electrifying. Hunt is more .. erm razzle dazzle, i guess you can put it, I just rate his style of play.

THats just my opinion, please do not take my "puh-lease" comment defensivley, its just my opinoin. I respect yours, but I don't have to agree ;)

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 02:24 PM
My post may have come across strongly...but im not having a go at you...its ok that you disagree..i respect your opinion but i feel yours is based on bias even tho you say it isnt. Also Hunt has experince in the NRL...but playing for your country is the highest level of rugby league...Hunt IMO is only a decent club fullback.

And because Hunt was picked doesnt mean we cant dicuss other options and our disgust at selections made.

I honestly am shocked that Hunt was called up.

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 02:33 PM
Ah well...i think ill be cheering on NZ!

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 02:49 PM
Ah well...i think ill be cheering on NZ!

Why, Australia is still your country, despite certain selections. Eh I don't get it how people can cheer against their own country. Unless your a NZ resident or something ;)

But Hell, Im shocked at the selection too. Eh, I guess we'll just have to wait for Friday to see how it all pans out aye ;)

DIEHARD
01-05-06, 02:57 PM
This is my worst nightmare. This is the biggest disgrace to the jersey.

This can't be happening...

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:02 PM
']Why, Australia is still your country, despite certain selections. Eh I don't get it how people can cheer against their own country. Unless your a NZ resident or something ;)

But Hell, Im shocked at the selection too. Eh, I guess we'll just have to wait for Friday to see how it all pans out aye ;)

Im just sick of it. Every year there are ridculous selections making a joke out of the Australian jersey.

And no im Australian...but the selections and coach are idiots most the time. and i cant support something i dont agree with.

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 03:04 PM
Fair enough. Im sick of stupid selections too, theres alot I haven't agreed with, but I'd rather support my country, then another country. Why punish the players who deserve to be there, why not support them instead?

DIEHARD
01-05-06, 03:07 PM
I would put nearly every other fullback ahead of hunt, I can't fathom how they left out Matt Bowen. Hunt should be playing for the Kiwis and the Kiwis have an Australian fullback this is a disgrace.

Bowen isn't good under the high ball? Hunt is nearly good at NOTHING.

He should barely be in the Broncos let alone giving him our highest honour, a Kangaroos jersey.....

This selection has been universally dispised and it just does damage to the station of the Kangaroos....

I'll support Australia forever, but god damn they are making it a tad difficult sometimes...

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:09 PM
']Fair enough. Im sick of stupid selections too, theres alot I haven't agreed with, but I'd rather support my country, then another country. Why punish the players who deserve to be there, why not support them instead?

I will be supporting Matt King thats all.

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 03:23 PM
I will be supporting Matt King thats all.

And you call me biased :p

Diehard obvoiusly I won't agree with you at all about Hunt but one thing I will agree with you is, supporting Australia forever, It may be hard sometimes, but Ill do it always. Respect.

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:27 PM
']And you call me biased :p

Diehard obvoiusly I won't agree with you at all about Hunt but one thing I will agree with you is, supporting Australia forever, It may be hard sometimes, but Ill do it always. Respect.

Hell, everyone is biased. But your bias is a bad one...Hunt does not deserve to be.

I want King to go good because he is a storm player...not being biased i dont think...just want him to do well.

And the selectors dont respect the jersey so i dont see why the supporters should. It really ruins the game when these decisions are made.

DIEHARD
01-05-06, 03:29 PM
']And you call me biased :p

Yea good to see. All to many people jump ship and it is a disgrace, this is ur country we are talking about, You don't swap club or origin teams, you don't swap national teams.

Besides they are the Kiwis. It is outright treason to support them, if you want to support them, move to New Zealand, they need to population boost and need to fill those empty New Zealand Airline planes going back over the Tasman. :laugh:

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:31 PM
I just hope they win and make Hunt look like an idiot so the selectors will learn a lesson.

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 03:32 PM
The supporters, are called supporters for a reason, they SUPPORT their team, through thick and thin. Otherwise whats teh points. Supporting one player, King isn't the only one who deserves to be there, in fact he just gets there. Hes been alright this season, so yea ok, but Thurston, Johns, Gasnier, Civo, deserve it even more, and you wn't support them?

My bias is me supporting the Australian team, WHOEVER is on it, they call Australia home each and every one of their players, and they have pride in their jerseys, so I have pride in them and my country. I will support them.

I hate the fact HOdges isn't there, the fact Cooper is there, the fact Tahu is there, the fact Simpson and more are there, but I will still support them. Because they have the Australian Jersey on.

Also was Mason even borin in Aus? I heard he wasn't? Its a fine line isn't it. Who is for us to criticise Hunt for calling Aus home, for having pride in Australia because it gave him a chance. Whats wrong with that, I'd rather he play for Aus with all his heart, then play for NZ with no heart.

~Wild Child~
01-05-06, 03:35 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Stuart has been dabbling in this....Love Hunt but is he really ready for this??? I really think that Ricky Stuart and selectors are just like a bag of mixed nuts. Yeah nutty is what this whole situation looks like.They are an embarassment to the NRL...Could the sports psychologist PLEASE step up.........Looks like you've got alot of overtime ahead of you....

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:38 PM
']The supporters, are called supporters for a reason, they SUPPORT their team, through thick and thin. Otherwise whats teh points. Supporting one player, King isn't the only one who deserves to be there, in fact he just gets there. Hes been alright this season, so yea ok, but Thurston, Johns, Gasnier, Civo, deserve it even more, and you wn't support them?

My bias is me supporting the Australian team, WHOEVER is on it, they call Australia home each and every one of their players, and they have pride in their jerseys, so I have pride in them and my country. I will support them.

I hate the fact HOdges isn't there, the fact Cooper is there, the fact Tahu is there, the fact Simpson and more are there, but I will still support them. Because they have the Australian Jersey on.

Also was Mason even borin in Aus? I heard he wasn't? Its a fine line isn't it. Who is for us to criticise Hunt for calling Aus home, for having pride in Australia because it gave him a chance. Whats wrong with that, I'd rather he play for Aus with all his heart, then play for NZ with no heart.

lol...nah the other players deserve to be there. The only one that does not deserve the spot is Hunt. Disgraceful, everytime i think about it i want to just scream. Does not deserve the jersey at all.

I guess your just more of an Australian supporter then me Broncosgirl.......good on you, When would you like your medal?

Social Loafer
01-05-06, 03:42 PM
Ignore the fact tha Hunt could/should be playing for the Kiwis..

Defensivly, Hunt is probably the worst fullback in the league, Test footy is more then just being "flashy" and having a "step" (Which people worked out 1.5 years ago- Anyone remember in 04 when Mclinden took the piss out it to pass Hunt)

If one of the big Kiwi forwards make a break, god help Hunt, I do not want to see the damage of a Wiki running full steam at a stationary Hunt.

Also, what happened to Bowen, Schifcofske, Hornby... All much more experienced players who are more reliable in defence.. Mini is a great defensive fullback why wouldn't they replace him with an equally ( or even better) defensive fullback in Schif... Oh thats right he plays for Canberra and doesn't act like a flashy 2nd five-eight which seems to be the norm today...

Anyway, watch for Hunt to be grilled all night under the highball and to get special attention from the Kiwis on the park.

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 03:46 PM
lol...nah the other players deserve to be there. The only one that does not deserve the spot is Hunt. Disgraceful, everytime i think about it i want to just scream. Does not deserve the jersey at all.

I guess your just more of an Australian supporter then me Broncosgirl.......good on you, When would you like your medal?

So then your not supporting the team beacuse of one player?

Don't get stupid, I never once said I was more a supporter. Although since you said you're cheering for NZ, and Ill be cheering for Australia, technically I could consider agreeing. YOu said it first not me. I wouldn't like a medal though either, its just my duty to support my country ;)

But hey if you decide to support Austraila in the end, which you should, then nup I am no more a supporter then you, and hey I would rather that, if it means one more supporter for Aus.

Super Cronk
01-05-06, 03:49 PM
']So then your not supporting the team beacuse of one player?

Don't get stupid, I never once said I was more a supporter. Although since you said you're cheering for NZ, and Ill be cheering for Australia, technically I could consider agreeing. YOu said it first not me. I wouldn't like a medal though either, its just my duty to support my country ;)

But hey if you decide to support Austraila in the end, which you should, then nup I am no more a supporter then you, and hey I would rather that, if it means one more supporter for Aus.

I think Hunt will do terrible, as he is a terrible player. Thats all im going to say...i think NZ might win , but then agian Johns will most likely win it all on his own. We will see.

Queenslander
01-05-06, 04:06 PM
I will still be supporting Australia, that will never change :thumbsup: Hunt isnt the best choice in the country for the role but that is the "experts" choice. If Hunt performs poorly and/or Australia loses then I would expect to see some heads being rolled e.g. selectors and Stuart.

Flanker/5-8
01-05-06, 04:35 PM
Hunt...needs to have a blinder. There are proven fullbacks like Schifcofske, Wesser and Hornby, blokes who go in and get the job done every week like Patten and McKinnon, and why wouldn't you choose Inglis ahead of Hunt?

Hunt is probably THE worst defending fullback in the game, can't read the play at all, and barely scrapes in as a decent attacker.

Whatever the selectors were thinking, it was wrong.

Dakink
01-05-06, 04:36 PM
Anyway, watch for Hunt to be grilled all night under the highball And what we saw what Barrett did to hunt under the high ball - hunt is a kick returner and a attacking link. Thats about it.

Having said that, I would always support the team, not the players no matter what.

When they run out there they are all still giving there all for the Green and Gold. I will cheer just as loudly for Hunt as I will for Coops and Gaz. Heck Id even cheer just as loudly for Wally when he was wearing the Green and Gold.

Hodges was unlucky, but really he would be the only one. I would hate to think this country would have become so polarised that we cant support our national team, no matter who was playing. Heck rebrand the Marrons in Green and Gold and call them Aus - Ill still go!

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 04:44 PM
Hmm in reguards to Hunt under the high ball, he's actually pretty good at it imo, the game against the Dragons was a shocker, he even admitted it himself. But hes always been fairly solid under the high ball, he did well against the raiders sat night under the high ball. I also considered him fairly safe. I think people just choose to remember his shockers, I know hes had a few, so has every other fullback, even Mini.

I expect Hunt to drop his first one maybe, but I think he'll cope fairly well.

But dakink, good to see supporters sticking to the team no matter waht :D

Chaos
01-05-06, 06:12 PM
I'm also shocked to hear Hunt is in the Australian side and wouldn't have chosen him but he is one of those players with potentially great ability that really hasn't had the opportunity to express at the Broncos.

Stuart is probably one of those coaches that would love to teach him a thing or two.
Somthing new...something the Broncos didn't give him...something that every other fullback gets...The ball in his hand with room to dance.

DeeGan
01-05-06, 07:13 PM
I cannot believe what I am reading from Australian supporters here - disagreeing with a selection is one thing, turning your back on your national team is another. Unbelievable as a matter of fact.

I do not agree with the selection of Hunt, not at all, in particular given the fact he is unproven at rep level and I don't think he is the next best fullback in line for Australia with Minichiello injured. Matt Bowen is my preference, that is well documented, though if he is deemed not good enough, I can find a spot for Rhys Wesser, Ben Hornby, Clinton Schifcofke or even a Greg Inglis who IMO is amongst the best fullbacks right now. He is a sensational player though his lack of experience as a whole counts against him.

Brett Hodgson would of perhaps been selected, bad timing with the injury.

Support the Kangaroos whether Hunt is there or not...air your opinion, express your disgust though don't turn your back on the green and gold, EVER.

Chaos
01-05-06, 07:18 PM
People forget about Brett Hodgson as a rep player
He is the most amazing player...just looking at his stature you wouldn't know

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 07:21 PM
I cannot believe what I am reading from Australian supporters here - disagreeing with a selection is one thing, turning your back on your national team is another. Unbelievable as a matter of fact.

Support the Kangaroos whether Hunt is there or not...air your opinion, express your disgust though don't turn your back on the green and gold, EVER.

Good to see someone with sense, I can't believe the amount of people who would easily turn their back on supporting their country.

Dakink
01-05-06, 09:21 PM
']Good to see someone with sense, I can't believe the amount of people who would easily turn their back on supporting their country.

Never ever ever evere ever evere ever ever!

Queenslander
01-05-06, 09:25 PM
']Good to see someone with sense, I can't believe the amount of people who would easily turn their back on supporting their country.

If they wear green and gold and represent our great country than I could never say no to them!

Dakink
01-05-06, 09:29 PM
If they wear green and gold and represent our great country than I could never say no to them!

*shudders* I feel dirty - I agree with QLD'er..... :curse: :curse:

Queenslander
01-05-06, 09:32 PM
*shudders* I feel dirty - I agree with QLD'er..... :curse: :curse:

We should all be friends at this time as its OUR country being represented...not individual states....just give it a couple of weeks and you can be as dirty as you want :laugh:

DIEHARD
01-05-06, 09:32 PM
The Kangaroos jersey is all about pride for your country and love for your game. I'll never cheer against them. Kangaroos all the way!

Queenslander
01-05-06, 09:34 PM
The Kangaroos jersey is all about pride for your country and love for your game. I'll never cheer against them. Kangaroos all the way!

Yeah thats right! And if the Aussies win we can eat a Kangaroo in celebration......now that is Aussie way of celebrating! :D

Queenslander
01-05-06, 09:38 PM
A bit more info and reactions on the selection of Hunt in the side.

Mini ruled out, Hunt to debut
By Daniel Pace and Adrian Proszenko
May 1, 2006

THE selection of New Zealand-born fullback Karmichael Hunt for Australia has caused outrage on several fronts following the controversial omission of North Queensland counterpart Matt Bowen for the Anzac Test in Brisbane on Friday.

Hunt will make his Test debut for Australia at the Brisbane fullback's home ground, Suncorp Stadium, after Sydney Roosters No.1 Anthony Minichiello was ruled out with a lower back injury today.

The Kiwis were publicly saying "good luck" to Hunt at their Gold Coast camp today but many are planning to give the teenager a hostile reception in what is expected to be a fast and physical Test.

"I'm expecting quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," Hunt said in Sydney today.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr was shocked at Bowen's omission from the squad after the diminutive fullback toured with the Kangaroos for last year's Tri-Nations tournament, won by the Kiwis.

"I'd hate to think that Saturday cost him a jersey," Parr said, referring to Bowen's poor game in the Cowboys' loss to the Roosters.

"If (the Kangaroos) had been picked a fortnight ago after the Newcastle game, I doubt whether he would have missed out."

Hunt's selection provides a clear sign that Australia coach Ricky Stuart wants size in his squad to combat the likes of giant Kiwi backs Tame Tupou and Jake Webster.

Meanwhile, New Zealand halfback Thomas Leuluai criticised Hunt for failing to declare his allegiance to the Kiwis or Australia until the Kangaroos selectors forced his hand.

"He changes his mind a bit too much for my liking," the Harlequins No.7, who has the enormous job of replacing the retired Stacey Jones, said.

"He's either a Kiwi or he's not.

"Like everyone here (at camp on the Gold Coast), we're all Kiwis and we all want to play.

"I think (Kiwi coach Brian McClennan) stresses that point a lot, about us playing for each other.

"If you've got someone thinking about playing in the green and gold jersey, then he's not meant to be here."

The Kiwis had hoped Hunt would choose the black and white jersey following Jones's retirement, which exposed a lack of depth in the halves.

Hunt, 19, always expressed his desire to play State of Origin for Queensland, which would have made him ineligible to represent New Zealand, but he admitted today the Australia selectors made his decision easier to make.

"They took the decision away from me and made the decision for me," he said.

"Obviously there'd been a bit of speculation a few months back that I was going to change my mind and play for New Zealand, but I stuck to my original decision and it's paid off."

Kiwi star Benji Marshall was disappointed by Hunt's decision after a personal campaign to persuade Auckland-born player to pledge his allegiance to New Zealand.

"I was a little bit surprised and disappointed at the same time," Marshall, who makes his return from a dislocated shoulder on Friday, said.

"I've said it before, everyone makes up their own mind and he has to live with the decision."

Asked if Hunt might be targeted by the Kiwis early in the match, McClennan quipped: "Not in the early moments, the whole game."

"It's interesting, it's kind of funny really.

"He's been here four to five years and he feels he's an Australian.

"Well good luck to him.

"The irony of it all is that it wasn't long ago that it was whether he would play for New Zealand and now he plays for Australia."

Cairns-born Brent Webb, who faced the same dilemma before choosing to debut for the Kiwis in 2004, could see the irony in the situation.

"It's a bizarre thing, probably a first," Webb said.

"I don't think it's ever happened and I don't know if it'll happen again."

AAP

Steelers
01-05-06, 09:48 PM
Asked if Hunt might be targeted by the Kiwis early in the match, McClennan quipped: "Not in the early moments, the whole game."

"It's interesting, it's kind of funny really.

"He's been here four to five years and he feels he's an Australian.

"Well good luck to him.

It's on! The Kiwis will not hold back :D

Dakink
01-05-06, 09:51 PM
I can understand to a degree where Hunt is coming from.

I played Water Polo to a State level. Our area was considered part of NSW when I was in the NSW u15s and first year of school age opens, then second year of school age opens we where relocated to QLD - hence we had to represent QLD. That was tough to do - wear a big dirty red Q on our clothes, I had to bath for a week to get the stench of my skin...

Dakink
02-05-06, 08:52 AM
Looks like Hunt is in for a fiery night;

'He'll wish he played for us'
By Steve Mascord
May 2, 2006

NEW Zealand players last night lined up Karmichael Hunt for choosing Australia over the Kiwis, with second rower Frank Pritchard declaring "just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us".

The Kiwis were stunned by the Auckland-born fullback's selection as Anthony Minichiello's replacement yesterday.

Just three weeks ago, Hunt again turned down the chance to play for the country of his birth.

The Kiwis made it clear the Brisbane custodian would feel their wrath at Suncorp Stadium, with winger Jake Webster saying: "He's made his bed - now he's got to lie in it."

Asked how his players felt about Hunt, 19, playing against them, New Zealand coach Brian McClennan said: "Karmichael's got to find that out for himself on Friday night."

Penrith's Pritchard told The Daily Telegraph: "I said to (McClennan): I'm Australian born -- I'm more Australian than him. He came over here when he was 14. If he feels like he's Australian, what can I say? He's forgotten his roots.

"Just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us."

The Kiwis learned of Hunt's inclusion when McClennan got a text message while on the mini-bus back from training at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast late yesterday morning.

"Most of the guys just started laughing," McClennan said..

Advertisement:
"It's just the way it is, isn't it? He's going to have enormous amounts of pressure on him.

"We would have been looking to put pressure on Minichiello but if the guys get the chance to put a big tackle on Karmichael, of course they're going to do it."

Kiwi-born former Australia forward Brad Thorn was the subject of heavy treatment when he chose the green and gold over New Zealand, but Pritchard said Thorn had more right to call himself Australian than did Hunt.

"Thorn, he's done a lot, he played for the All Blacks as well," the 22 year old said.

"He always said he wanted to play for (Australia). Fair enough, he went and did it. He played State of Origin for Queensland."

Kiwis star Benji Marshall said he tried to talk Hunt into playing for New Zealand.

"I'm a bit disappointed," Marshall said. "I've always expressed that I wanted him to come and play here. He's only been over here for five or six years."

Asked if Hunt could expect extra attention early in the game, McClennan told a media conference: "Not the early moments - the whole game.

"(But) he's allowed his choice. We've got (Cairns-born Brent Webb) playing for us, and he's proud to play for the Kiwis and we're proud to have him."

Webster added: "I didn't expect him to be called into the team. I thought there'd be a few before him.

"If the chance comes for one of us to get stuck into him a little bit, I'm sure we will."

Halfback Thomas Leuluai said: "I was pretty shocked."

The Daily Telegraph

I personally dont blame them, I wonder how much of the selection was purely to rule Hunt out for the Kiwi's in the future?

Dakink
02-05-06, 08:58 AM
About mid afternoon yesterday;

About 28,400 tickets had been sold for the Test by mid-afternoon yesterday.

from http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18994747-5003409,00.html

Dakink
02-05-06, 09:01 AM
Hunts reply;

Hunt faces 'kangaroo court'
By Dean Ritchie
May 2, 2006

AUSTRALIA and New Zealand greats have formed an unlikely alliance, to claim Karmichael Hunt should be playing for the Kiwis on Friday.- not the Kangaroos.

Hunt ... prepared for a rough reception. Pic: Brett Costello
But our new Test fullback was defiant, declaring: "I'm an Australian."

Hunt flew to Sydney early yesterday to join the Australian team camp after Anthony Minichiello withdrew due to a lower back injury.

Minichiello was cleared on Sunday, but he experienced back pain that evening and Australian Rugby League officials contacted Hunt at 10pm Sunday night to announce he had become Australia's latest Kangaroo.

However, many league identities on both sides of the Tasman are angry, claiming Hunt - who was born in New Zealand and lived there until he was 11 - should represent New Zealand.

"It's up to him whether he can put his hand on his heart and sing the national anthem," former New Zealand coach Graham Lowe said.

"I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want to play for the country where they were born."

Ex-Kangaroos halfback Tom Raudonikis added: "He's a Kiwi and he's playing for Australia."

Hunt admitted he was expecting a torrid time against his countrymen in the Suncorp Stadium Test match.

"I'm expecting quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," he said.

"We'll see what happens."

The Brisbane fullback revealed he had only ever harboured a dream of representing Australia, before saying that he understood why some Kiwis would be angry.

"There was a bit of speculation a few months back about whether I would change my mind and play for New Zealand," Hunt said.

"But I have stuck to my original decision and it's paid off. The selectors made the decision for me."

Asked would it feel strange having a New Zealand passport but Australian Test jumper, Hunt said: "Yes and no. But I feel like an Australian.

"I've been over here most of my high school years and played all my senior football over here.

"My parents are on my side. Whatever I want to do, they will be happy."

The Daily Telegraph

Dakink
02-05-06, 09:06 AM
Roos to do their own targeting;

Roos vow to batter Benji
By James Hooper
May 2, 2006

AUSTRALIA has hatched a plan to pressure New Zealand playmaker Benji Marshall by targeting the Kiwi pivot's troublesome right shoulder in the trans-Tasman Test.

Marshall will return to the Test arena just 28 days after doctors feared the light-stepping five-eighth's season was over.

With the Kangaroos desperate to atone after the embarrassing 24-0 Tri-Nations defeat last November, Marshall must brace for a torrid time after Australia revealed a plan to pepper the Kiwi wildcard.

"It's a big risk for Benji," Kangaroos lock Ben Kennedy said.

"If he comes out and gets injured early and can't play for the rest of the game then he's let his teammates down.

"I'm pretty sure he must think he can get through the game if he plays, but we'll certainly be testing that out."

Kangaroos vice-captain Danny Buderus predicted the Kiwis would attempt to lighten Marshall's workload by camouflaging the star playmaker on the wing.

But Buderus suggested Australia would attempt to isolate a number of the Kiwis' key personnel by targeting them with a heavy defensive workload.

"They've got great go-forward, a strike player in Sonny Bill (Williams) and then more attacking potency in Benji - so it's going to be a big defensive night for us," Buderus said.

"We've got to run at all the dangerous players to try and tire them out.

"Benji is probably going to defend out on the wing so it's hard to run traffic at him but we've got some good players out there and we'll run some of them at him."

In an alarming sign for Marshall, the Kiwi pivot has suffered five shoulder injuries in the past two years.

The latest dislocation occurred against grand finalists North Queensland in Townsville on April 7 with doctors fearing Marshall's season was in jeopardy.

But the Wests Tigers star has since been cleared, making the brave decision to play on before undergoing surgery at the end of this season.

Recalled Kangaroos back rower Steve Menzies, who played his last Test for Australia in October 2002, supported the push to target Marshall.

"If you're not sure if someone is 100 per cent and it's his shoulder then you put a bit of traffic at him," Menzies said.

"But in saying that if I was their coach you'd put him somewhere where he was hard to get at."

Preparing to play his farewell Test for the Kangaroos on Friday, Kennedy opened up about the demons still haunting him from last November.

"We got flogged - it was a pretty ordinary feeling after the game," Kennedy said.

"Australia's been dominant for 20-odd years and to be part of the team that got beat and wreck that record was very disappointing.

"It something that eats away at you a bit so hopefully we can put that to bed this year."

The Daily Telegraph

Queenslander
02-05-06, 09:07 AM
Some reasons for Hunts inclusion for the team from the Courier Mail

http://thecouriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18993948-5003409,00.html

Morris, who is also a Test selector, revealed Bowen and Wesser had featured prominently in debate about the replacement for Anthony Minichiello, who was ruled out of the clash with New Zealand yesterday with a lower back problem.

Minichiello faces an extended period on the sidelines. Test coach Ricky Stuart, who is also his coach at the Sydney Roosters, said the 25-year-old's playing future could be jeopardised if he returned to football prematurely.

It is believed Stuart wanted Hunt for the values he brings to the team rather the fact he is the NRL's form fullback, a reference to the combination Hunt has with Australian five-eighth Darren Lockyer at the Broncos.

In addition to Bowen and Wesser, St George Illawarra's Ben Hornby and Melbourne's Greg Inglis also came under the microscope on Sunday when it became apparent Minichiello was in trouble.

Morris spoke to Queensland coach Mal Meninga yesterday about the implications of Hunt's Test selection for Australia.

"We'll just look at form when Origin comes around and go from there," Morris said later.

"From a Queensland point of view there are five or six blokes who are very close.

"Rhys Wesser did a good job in the series that he played (in 2004). In fact he did such a good job he was considered last night.

"What we're after from a Queensland point of view are form players.

"I spoke to Mal about it this morning and he is about picking a team on form ? and that's taking nothing away from Karmichael. He's got the job and good luck to him. I hope he goes really well."

It is understood Billy Slater would have replaced Minichiello had he not been suspended.

Bowen's father Richard last night spoke out against the decision to overlook his son.

"That's sad, sad, sad . . . very sad," Bowen Sr said. "I'm very upset. I don't think Matty has been given a fair go. It's a smack in the face. Someone must have very bitter feelings against Matty from somewhere down the track.

"Who would have thought Karmichael Hunt was going to be picked? He was a Kiwi a month ago."

Hunt said it was a huge honour to be chosen for Australia although he understood some people in New Zealand might be upset.

"But I feel like I'm an Australian," he said. "I've done my high school years here and played all my senior football here. It's going to be a proud moment for me on Friday."

Hunt's Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said yesterday he was delighted the teenager had been selected for Friday's Test.

"I'm pleased for him that he stuck to his beliefs and it has paid off for him," Bennett said.

DeeGan
02-05-06, 09:07 AM
Good luck to him.

I find it amusing that the Kiwi's are making a big deal out of this suggesting he 'has made his bed, he has to lie in it' blah blah blah...this BS sells papers, attracts attention, though won't win you the game.

If I am a kiwi, I am more concerned with ensuring I am focused at the job at hand. The Aussies were embarassed in the final last season, they are coming with a fire in their belly that if not contained will end up a 50-0 hiding.

What's done is done, Hunt has continually stated his intention in wanting to represent QLD, he skipped that, has gone straight to the top of the mountain with the injury to Mini. Get over it. I would be more concerned with the shoulder of Marshall than the selection of Hunt - perhaps a welcomed smoke screen from McClennan? I think so.

Can't wait for Friday night :D

Queenslander
02-05-06, 09:45 AM
The only goodside to Matt Bowen's lack of selection is that he will be fired up to prove the selectors wrong. He will go off like a fire-cracker in the next few weeks and State of Origin is just around the corner..... :D

Bowen omission slammed
By Josh Massoud
May 2, 2006

THE father of Kangaroo discard Matt Bowen has slammed Karmichael Hunt's selection as a "kick in the backside" and a "smack in the face".

After famously cheering his son's golden-point intercept in the Origin opener last year, Richard Bowen was last night livid when told his son had been overlooked in favour of the untried 19-year-old.

"That's sad, sad, sad ... very sad," Bowen Sr told The Daily Telegraph from his remote Hope Vale property in Far North Queensland.

"I'm very upset. I don't think Matty has been given a fair go.

"I think it's a smack in the face. Someone must have very bitter feelings against Matty from somewhere down the track.

"Who would have thought Karmichael Hunt was going to be picked? He was a Kiwi last month."

Bowen Sr's doubts over Hunt's credentials were yesterday backed by a Daily Telegraph investigation into the 2006 form of the NRL's best fullbacks.

Of 18 statistical categories used to measure their game, Hunt did not top one.

According to NRL Stats, Parramatta's Wade McKinnon rated No.1 over the first eight weeks.

But Bowen - widely tipped to build on his solitary Test appearance in the event of Anthony Minichiello being unavailable - headed five categories including try assists and line-break assists.

"He can dodge and weave out of the blocks. He's a one in a million," Bowen Sr said.

"I never heard about Karmichael Hunt in the squad. There was Matty and Minichiello ... it's a kick in the backside really."

To make matters worse, the incumbent Queensland fullback had already made plans to fly his dad to Brisbane for the first time since last year's Origin.

"He has been looking forward to this since he was a kid. He said, 'I'm going to be like Allan Langer' and now his dream is shattered,"

Bowen Sr said. "He will be cut up. He will be bitter."

The Daily Telegraph

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 09:47 AM
I feel very deeply for Karmichael Hunt.Alot of elite athletes change the nation that they represent{tennis players,olympians etc.} He is only 19, and feels as though he is very much an Aussie, spending eight years making Oz his home....The Kiwi's should be spending their time trying to figure out how they can possibly beat us{not likely} instead of trying to making the Aussies nervous.{that's really funny}.

To me, home is where the heart is....obviously Karmichael's heart belongs to Oz...So advice to the Kiwi's....stop crying and start lacing up your boots,you have alot of catching up to do to get ready for the Aussie onslaught. GO AUSSIES

Queenslander
02-05-06, 03:28 PM
Kite flies in as Kangaroos cover
May 2, 2006

MANLY front rower Brent Kite has been called into the Australia squad ahead of Friday night's Anzac Test against New Zealand.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart today requested an 18th man be added to the squad to "cover all bases" for the Test.

Kite, 25, will join the team when it flies to Brisbane tomorrow morning for the one-off Test at Suncorp Stadium.

"It's normal procedure these days to have an extra player on hand in the event of any illness or training mishap," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said today.

"It's a professional approach, a matter of covering all contingencies."

AAP

Queenslander
02-05-06, 03:29 PM
Benji will start for the Kiwis
By Wayne Heming
May 2, 2006

WESTS Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall was today named in New Zealand's starting side for Friday night's rugby league Test against Australia at Suncorp Stadium.

Marshall is recovering from a dislocated shoulder suffered in round five of the NRL last month and his club was hoping he would be used sparingly off the bench by the Kiwis on his return to action.

However, New Zealand coach Brian McLennan named Marshall as the starting halfback.

Marshall will have his fitness assessed later in the week and Wests Tigers physiotherapist Andrew Leeds will travel to the Kiwis' camp on the Gold Coast to consult with the New Zealand team doctor.

Fellow star Sonny Bill Williams was also named in the starting side, at lock, just three matches back from a 10 month injury-enforced break.

Kiwis skipper Ruben Wiki will play a world-record 51st Test on Friday night if passed fit.

Wiki who led the Kiwis to a boilover 24-0 win in ther Tri-Nations series final in Leeds last November, is battling a hamstring injury but McClennan is confident of having his inspirational leader on the field.

McClennan could not find room for Parramatta prop Nathan Cayless, opting instead for his England-based brother Jason in the front row.

Test debuts have been given to Brisbane's Tame Tupou who will start on the wing and South Sydney back rower David Fa'alogo who will start on the bench.

AAP

Queenslander
02-05-06, 03:34 PM
McClennan calls Kangaroos narrow-minded
Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 12:45 PM

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan has fired the first shots for Friday night's Anzac Test branding the Australians as "narrow-minded".

McClennan says Ricky Stuart's Kangaroos should be in Brisbane promoting Friday night's Test match instead of hiding away from the spotlight in Sydney.

The usually reserved McClennan responded when asked if he thought the Australian team should be preparing for the match in Brisbane.

"I find that normal," said McClennan. "I think it's disrespectful, they should be up here."

"It's pretty narrow minded. We've come over from New Zealand, we're up here doing our bit to promote rugby league."

The Kiwis trained at Pizzey Park at Burleigh Heads with McClennan growing in confidence that skipper Ruben Wiki will play a world-record 51st Test on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Wiki who led the Kiwis to a boilover 24-0 win in Leeds last November is wrestling with a hamstring injury but McClennan is confident of having his most inspirational warrior on the field.

Part of Wiki's treatment has been large doses of Kava (a Fijian herbal remedy) which may or may not have any additional value.

Key playmaker Benji Marshall (shoulder) will also have his fitness assessed later in the week with Wests Tigers physiotherapist Andrew Leeds making a trip to the Gold Coast to consult with the Kiwi's team Doctor.

Source: AAP

Blunt_Beno
02-05-06, 03:38 PM
i can see a few of the kiwis going after hunt. and i can see it working to his advantage haha. although i would have picked about 10 other players befor him, i must say good luck to him. he is gunna need it.

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 03:40 PM
"narrow minded"..."disrespectful"....Please QLDer do'nt start me up.I am trying my hardest to build a bridge.We do'nt need to be anywhere in particular to promote the game...HIDING AWAY...Looks like my bridge is collapsing...Is this person this annoying all the time???

Queenslander
02-05-06, 03:44 PM
I see where the Kiwi's coach is going with this, and I agree that the team should be up in Brisbane training and promoting a game which is held in Brisbane. But other than that its just simple taunts from the Kiwi camp.

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 03:46 PM
When are the Aussies due back in Bris?

Queenslander
02-05-06, 03:49 PM
When are the Aussies due back in Bris?

From a previous article and discussion on these forums:

But new Australian coach Ricky Stuart wants the Kangaroos based in Sydney until 48 hours before kick-off.

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=3366

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 03:55 PM
So the team is due back tomorrow..Maybe there was a reason for the bulk of training being done in Syd?? Any ideas?

HodgoBerro
02-05-06, 04:07 PM
who knows? I think ricky obviously forgot they are playing in brisbane - or ricky was too lazy to get off his backside to go to brisbane to prepare the australian team........

Dakink
02-05-06, 04:25 PM
Kiwi team;

Kiwis Big Guns Named For Anzac Clash
02/05/2006 Marcus Forbes

Young NRL super star Benji Marshall looks set to start Friday's test against Australia at halfback.

Marshall - who usually plays stand-off for the Wests Tigers - has made a miraculous recovery from a serious shoulder injury to be fit for the test in Brisbane where he will wear the influential number seven jersey.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan has named Nigel Vagana at stand-off and London Harlequins halfback Thomas Leuluai will start from the bench.

Brisbane's Tame Tupou will make his international debut on the wing pairing up with Jake Webster while South Sydney bolter David Fa'alogo will come off the bench.

McClennan has stuck with a number of combinations that worked so well during the triumphant Tri-Nations campaign last year.

Brent Webb will start at fullback, Clinton Toopi and Paul Whatuira partner up in the centres while David Faiumu takes up the hooker's role.

Captain Ruben Wiki will once again lead from the front alongside Jason Cayless who returns to international football after a short injury break.

David Kidwell and Louis Anderson pair up in the second row with Sonny Bill Williams starting at lock.

Roy Asotasi and Frank Pritchard join Leuluai and Fa'alogo on the bench.

Manly centre Steve Matai and veteran Kiwis prop Nathan Cayless have been named as injury cover.

Kiwis team to play Australia:

1. Brent Webb
2. Jake Webster
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Paul Whatuira
5. Tame Tupou
6. Nigel Vagana
7. Benji Marshall
8. Jason Cayless
9. David Faiumu
10. Ruben Wiki ?
11. David Kidwell
12. Louis Anderson
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. Thomas Leuluai
15. David Fa'alogo
16. Roy Asotasi
17. Frank Pritchard

18. Steve Matai
19. Nathan Cayless

RIP
02-05-06, 04:32 PM
GO KIWI'S!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you got hunt he's such a crap player. I'll be there backing the kiwi's 93per cent at the game right next to the roo crew & 2 for O'Donnell, 5 for THRUSTON. But Menzies is a great acess to the team Forwards or backs he;s got it all. sbw is back watch out!!!!!!!!!!!

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 04:57 PM
GO KIWI'S!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you got hunt he's such a crap player. I'll be there backing the kiwi's 93per cent at the game right next to the roo crew & 2 for O'Donnell, 5 for THRUSTON. But Menzies is a great acess to the team Forwards or backs he;s got it all. sbw is back watch out!!!!!!!!!!!Hey RIP..Hunt is'nt a crap player,he has a huge future in front of him. Are you a bit jealous?? I think the Kiwi's will GO alright...back home..with a loss..to deal with,and Hunt will be here with us where he belongs.You can't blame him for following his dream.GO AUSSIE.Don't :cry: to much..There's always next year.

HodgoBerro
02-05-06, 05:04 PM
NZ 12
Aust - 46

Coaster
02-05-06, 06:29 PM
Kiwis have an aussie Fullback,
Aussies have a kiwi fullback :fence:

Townsville Titan
02-05-06, 08:59 PM
WERE GONNA DECIMATE THE KIWIS !!!

Chaos
02-05-06, 09:07 PM
Hunt has obviously been brain washed if he thinks he's an Aussie.
Ask any 14 year old and I bet he can tell you where is roots are.

We wouldn't have these problems if we viewed the International games as the pinnacle of Rugby League, instead of the Origin.
Hunt has been told he can't play Origin if he play's for the Kiwi's.
Poor kid...he's now coping it from both sides.

The International comp won't get any stronger if players choose to be Australian just to play Origin.
How many Kiwis are coming over signed up as teanages, will they all want to play for Australia also?

There must be some strange but strong influence coming out of the Broncos camp.
Lockyer thinks he's a 5/8!

Townsville Titan
02-05-06, 09:11 PM
Lockyer will always be a true Fullback, thats where he made such a name. But i suppose the Broncos need a good halfback before they can afford to switch him back...

Blunt_Beno
02-05-06, 09:28 PM
very true. id put berrigan at 5/8 hunt in the centres and lockyer back at number 1. all this talk about hunt deciding to play for australia, was there as much of an upset when tony carrol or timana tahu decided the same thing?

Steelers
02-05-06, 10:40 PM
very true. id put berrigan at 5/8 hunt in the centres and lockyer back at number 1. all this talk about hunt deciding to play for australia, was there as much of an upset when tony carrol or timana tahu decided the same thing?

Tonie Carroll... yes

Timana Tahu... WTF?

DIEHARD
02-05-06, 10:51 PM
Tahu was born in Melbourne, Victoria.

Fampa
03-05-06, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know where the Kiwis are training whilst in camp on the Coast?

DIEHARD
03-05-06, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know where the Kiwis are training whilst in camp on the Coast?

At Burleigh Bears mon and tues and Carrara on Wednesday. They'll train on Thursday as well, with no venue confirmed atm.

Dakink
03-05-06, 10:38 AM
This would be a massive blow for the Kiwi's but perhaps a career saver for Benji;

Marshall could be ruled out
By Steve Mascord
May 3, 2006

BENJI Marshall may be dropped from New Zealand's Anzac Test side today if it costs too much to insure him, Kiwis officials have revealed.

In a dramatic development after the 21-year-old was named in Brian McClennan's starting side yesterday for the Suncorp Stadium clash with Australia, an insurance premium quoted from London this morning could rule him out.

Wests Tigers are sending head trainer Andrew Leeds to the Gold Coast today to check Marshall's troublesome shoulder.

"We'll make an informed decision, hopefully tomorrow, on whether the risk is warranted for all of us," New Zealand Rugby League general manager Peter Cordtz said yesterday.

"One of the benefits of having Andrew Leeds up there is that he and our medicos will assess the risk from a medical point of view.

"I'll have a discussion with Steve (Noyce, Wests Tigers chief executive) and the relevant directors at NZRL tomorrow and we'll make a call in and around financial risk."

Because Marshall has a pre-existing problem, he'll have "a loaded premium", Cordtz revealed.

The most the NZRL has ever paid to insure a whole team is NZ$33,000 ($25,156).

Asked how much it would be prepared to pay for Marshall, Cordtz said: "Well, hopefully it's not a million-dollar question.

Advertisement:
"It's pretty tough to try and put a value on his likely contribution to the Test match at this stage.

"I'd be doing the 'how long's a piece of string' thing if I was going to try and guess what level we'd go to.

"If nothing else, the continuing speculation will keep the attention of punters and get people to the ground on Friday night."

Noyce confirmed the Tigers had raised the issue of insurance with the NZRL but did not want to discuss the issue.

It's understood the club wants to make sure it is compensated for the entire period Marshall is out if he was to suffer a sixth shoulder injury.

While Marshall was named at halfback by the Kiwis, it is expected he will be on the bench for kick-off with Thomas Leuluai calling the shots.

Wests Tigers have also reportedly been assured Marshall will play only about 40 minutes if he is cleared.

"I've had a talk to the coach and he's assured me of certain things," Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.

"He's still got to be passed fit. It's all hypothetical until that happens."

But Sheens confirmed he was more worried about how much Marshall had to play than whether he was in the starting XIII.

There are no rules regarding the naming of Test starting teams, even an hour before kick-off, so Australia may not know who it is facing until the Kiwis run onto Suncorp Stadium's turf.

Reports last night indicated Sonny Bill Williams, named at lock, could still start in the centres.

Sheens said Marshall had been pencilled in to play against Manly on Sunday anyway so it would have been difficult for the club to stop him taking part in a Test match less than 48 hours earlier.

"The fact he's away is the only issue I've got, in that we can't do an on-field test," he said.

"I've got no worries as long as those protocols are put in place.

"The best specialist in the country have cleared him. All that remains is the onfield test."

Centre Steve Matai and prop Nathan Cayless were the men to miss the cut when McClennan trimmed his squad yesterday.

Marshall ran freely at training yesterday. The Kiwis go behind closed doors today before shifting camp to Brisbane tomorrow.

Noyce asked supporters critical of Wests Tigers for clearing Marshall to understand how important it was to the player and the game for him to play on Friday.

"We need to take something more than a shallow, short-term approach," he said.

"The game is better off when people like Benji and Sonny Bill are out there on the field, playing."

The Daily Telegraph

Queenslander
03-05-06, 10:44 AM
It seems that they got the insurance policy now, and Marshall can play.

Benji backed by insurers
May 3, 2006

A NEW Zealand insurance company has come to the rescue of the the Kiwi rugby league team, insuring star five-eighth Benji Marshall for the Anzac Test against Australia at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

New Zealand Rugby League chairman Selwyn Bennett said today that a company had insured Marshall, who will be returning to action after dislocating his right shoulder in NRL action against North Queensland last month.

Bennett would not disclose the price.

"All I can say is it's not cheap," he said in an interview aired on Sydey radio station 2KY today.

"The NZRL has borne the cost of it but we feel Benji is worth it.

"He's very fit, we don't think it's too much of a gamble to put him on the field, and his shoulder will stand up to it.

"The original operation has not been damaged, an MRI scan has told us that it's intact, so let's get on with it."

Marshall, who has had reconstructions on both shoulders, in 2003 and last year, dislocated his shoulder on April 7.

Advertisement:
Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said at the time that Marshall would be out of action for between eight and 10 weeks.
Noyce reportedly raised the issue of insurance with the NZRL yesterday, with the NRL premier keen to receive compensation should its star playmaker re-injure his shoulder.

The Kiwis named Marshall yesterday to start at halfback, but speculation suggested the NZRL could have to omit him if it could not insure him.

"We work through a broker of course, and most brokers work through brokers in England, with companies like Lloyds," Bennett said.

"So we went to England, and they were reluctant because of the history of Benji and the value of him and the cost for a player like him to be injured."

"With the Wests Tigers, everything hinges on their star players, so Bureau Insurance came to the rescue and said they will do it."

Bennett was adamant Marshall had no ongoing issues with his shoulder, and said the player's career was not at risk by playing on Friday.

Wests Tigers head trainer Andrew Leeds was heading to the Kiwis' Gold Coast camp today to check Marshall and have discussions with team medical staff.

"He's going to go through it with out medicos and we're quite confident ? very confident," Bennett said.

AAP

TITANS007
03-05-06, 10:57 AM
I think it's funny the way people are blowing up about Hunt being a NZer but playing for Aust. Brent Webb in an Aussie through and through, but he's playing for NZ.

I totally disagree with the decision to have Hunt playing for Australia in this test match purely because his form doesn't warrant a call up to the side, not because he is a NZer. Matty Bowen, among MANY others, are FAR better than Hunt. Anyone who is not speaking bias will agree.

How many of our olympic athletes who represented Australia have come from another country? Heaps. Tatiana Gregoriava (Spelling?!!) for one.
It happens in every sport. Even the great Kostya Tszyu can be added to the long list.

Dakink
03-05-06, 12:00 PM
I totally disagree with the decision to have Hunt playing for Australia in this test match purely because his form doesn't warrant a call up to the side, not because he is a NZer. Matty Bowen, among MANY others, are FAR better than Hunt.

That to me is the relative comment - Hunt isnt in the top echelon of Fullbacks IMO at the moment. I am still wondering if the fact that by choosing Hunt no doesnt allow the Kiwi's any chance of selecting him in the future..

Also by choosing Hunt, that gives the locals another QLD'er in the team. All factors that I beleive have no part in team selections but we all now politics comes into every thing we do.

Go_The_Doggies
03-05-06, 02:12 PM
Kiwis Kiwis Kiwis :D

Queenslander
03-05-06, 06:19 PM
Andrew Johns just commented on Channel Nine news about the possible reaction of the Queensland crowd on Friday and said he doesnt expect the usual booing or grandma's giving me the finger! :rotflmao: Well I dont think he will be getting too much booing....but I cant stop grandma! :D

Coaster
03-05-06, 06:26 PM
lol

Queenslander
03-05-06, 08:10 PM
Johns to 'run show' in league Anzac Test
Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 6:22 PM

Australian captain Darren Lockyer says Andrew Johns will run the show in the most talked about rugby league Test in years against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

And Johns, who brushed aside talk of a second representative fairytale farewell, responded by promising to utilise all of Lockyer's brilliance to square up with the Kiwis for last November's Tri Nations embarrassment - a game neither of them played.

Johns (21 Tests) and Lockyer (29 Tests) will oppose boom youngster Benji Marshall (one Test) and veteran Kiwi campaigner Nigel Vagana (31 Tests) in a scrumbase battle as important to the outcome as the huge forward battle.

Lockyer laid to rest any argument over who'll call the shots for Australia declaring "it's what Joey (Johns) does best".

"Joey is playing halfback and he'll be the guy who directs the team around the park, that's what he does so well," said Lockyer.

"Last year we had two games together.

"It takes a bit of time to get it where you want it but we both know how we play the game and what we're good at.

"We'll be looking to accommodate each other and put the team first."

It didn't take Johns long to remember how classy Lockyer was as a footballer.

"It's great to play with him rather than having to shut him down," said Johns who shadowed Lockyer defensively in several Origins.

"It's sensational being at training, he just seems to be in the right spot all the time.

"We've spoken a lot about how we're going to play on Friday night and I'm really looking forward to it."

Both rated the Anzac Test as "huge" given New Zealand's 24-0 Tri Nations upset and the Kiwis claims to being rugby league's No.1 country.

"It's pretty important considering last year's (Tri Nations final) overseas result," said Johns.

"There'll be a big crowd and the public see it as a big game.

"It's important the players see it that way too so I suppose there's a fair bit of pressure."

Lockyer went further.

"I haven't seen the interest that this game has generated since I've been playing for Australia. It's great for the game," said Lockyer who made his Test debut in 1998.

"The final last year was disappointing. There's a lot of players in this team that played in that game who'll obviously want to prove something to themselves and to the Australian public.

"For me to be able to run out and lead my country in front of my home crowd is both an honour and privilege and one I'll always remember."

When asked if he could repeat his State of Origin victory farewell with a win against the Kiwis, Johns said: "This is not about me.

"I don't want to think about it as my last game, I just want the team to win," said the champion 31 year-old Newcastle halfback who'll hang up his representative boots after the Test.

"I've been granted a wish to play my last Test on home soil.

"A lot people don't get to pick the way they go out, they go out through injury or loss of form.

"I'm blessed in a way, but it's about the team and about the team winning not about me."

When Johns plays at Suncorp Stadium (or Lang Park) in a sky blue jumper he is usually the villain.

This time he could be the hero.

"They usually boo me and grandmas used to give me the finger up here, so we'll see what happens Friday," laughed Johns.

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 08:39 PM
Andrew Johns just commented on Channel Nine news about the possible reaction of the land crowd on Friday and said he doesnt expect the usual booing or grandma's giving me the finger! :rotflmao: Well I dont think he will be getting too much booing....but I cant stop grandma! :DThe Grannies will be conducting a 48 hour love affair with Andrew Johns, but the day after the night before, all fingers shall rise. Those {n}aughty grannies. I almost feel sorry for A.J..Talk about use and abuse...I feel guilty now...See the love affair has already begun...

Chaos
03-05-06, 09:00 PM
Good post Queenslander,

I loved reading about Johns and Lockyer and the way they are exited to play together.
It's the right attitude and I can vision our back line ripping the Kiwi's to shreds.

I'm going to forget about who should or should not be in the Test and can't wait for the game now!

Bring it on!

DeeGan
03-05-06, 09:01 PM
With a great halfback inside him, Lockyer will be Man of the Match in this Test - hot off the press prediction :D

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 09:05 PM
With a great halfback inside him, Lockyer will be Man of the Match in this Test - hot off the press prediction :DDeeGan..Are you a fortune teller? I think you just predicted Darren's immediate future..Cool.

Chaos
03-05-06, 09:05 PM
With a great halfback inside him, Lockyer will be Man of the Match in this Test - hot off the press prediction :D

Lockyer will definitly benifit from a great half back...and can you imagine a better pair in the halves to make the rest of the back line look good?

Chaos
03-05-06, 09:17 PM
Lockyer will definitly benifit from a great half back...and can you imagine a better pair in the halves to make the rest of the back line look good?

Don't forget who they are giving the ball to...every player in the Australian back line can stand there opponent up one on one.

It's going to be embarassing!

I just quoted myself :hmm:

Blunt_Beno
03-05-06, 09:39 PM
Tahu was born in Melbourne, Victoria.

he was eligable to play for NZ, like the cayless brothers and others.

Chaos
03-05-06, 09:56 PM
Prediction: Australia will score off every scrum, with feed

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 10:17 PM
Good post lander,

I loved reading about Johns and Lockyer and the way they are exited to play together.
It's the right attitude and I can vision our back line ripping the Kiwi's to shreds.

I'm going to forget about who should or should not be in the Test and can't wait for the game now!

Bring it on!Good post Chaos :clap: Like your attitude too. :clap:

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 10:26 PM
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 10:28 PM
Prediction: Aussies will score off every set of 6!!

...Ok, maybe not eeevry set of six...

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 10:30 PM
Prediction: Aussies will score off every set of 6!!

...Ok, maybe not eeevry set of six...No, I think you're right...

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 10:33 PM
No, I think you're right...All tries scored by Locky, Johns and K.H.

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 10:34 PM
All tries scored by Locky, Johns and K.H.

Thats the first time ive seen someone reply to their own quote...

~Wild Child~
03-05-06, 10:36 PM
Thats the first time ive seen someone reply to their own quote...But I often talk to my self...

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 10:37 PM
Thats the first time ive seen someone reply to their own quote...

But yeah... on top of locky, Johns, and K.H... i think we can squeeze Buderus in there... and King... and Gasnier.. and... stuff it, They're ALL gonna score!!!

Dakink
04-05-06, 08:44 AM
LOL If we go by what every one says here it'll be about 100-0...

MMM me thinks it might be a bit closer!!

ONE DAY TO GO

Blunt_Beno
04-05-06, 09:58 AM
im thinking sticky will pull some kinda crap and hunt will start on the bunch with thurston at 5/8 and locky at fullback. and the more i think about it the more it makes sense. hunt would be a much better strike weapon then thurston.

Queenslander
04-05-06, 12:07 PM
Bring it on, Sonny
Amy Harris
May 04, 2006

CHAMPION Australian halfback Andrew Johns last night vowed to curb the onslaught of Sonny Bill Williams and was also relishing the challenge of containing New Zealand playmaker Benji Marshall.
http://thecouriermail.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5148438,00.jpg
Tomorrow night's trans-Tasman Test at Suncorp Stadium will be the first time Johns has played against either of the Kiwi superstars.

Injuries and NRL draw conflicts have always kept Johns from both players and the "world's best player" is itching to make an impression neither will soon forget.

"I can't wait. I'm looking forward to that. I don't know how many (more) times I am going to play them," Johns said yesterday. "I know I'm coming to the end of my career so I'd like to make an impact on their psyche ? (so) that they know they have played against me and I have had an impact on them."

Johns and Australian five-eighth Darren Lockyer have had extensive talks in camp this week about how to approach the Kiwi duo.

"I think I will just lock in on one edge of the ruck. My edge of the ruck will probably be up against Benji and Sonny Bill," he said.

"So I will be sure to lock in on that edge and do my best to try and shut them down, which is a huge task."

Fewer trans-Tasman Tests have commanded as much attention or excitement as tomorrow night's.

As Australia has a score to settle after last year's 24-0 towelling from the Kiwis, Johns reluctantly agreed that the dominance of the Kangaroos at international level was under threat in the next decade.

"I think the next 10 or so years they are going to be so strong," he said. "Look at the players now in the NRL ? they are getting the same coaching as we do. They are doing the same fitness training. I suppose they know how we play, inside and out. They are going to be really strong."

Johns said coach Ricky Stuart had prepared his side for nothing less than New Zealand's trademark attack.

"Look at the size of their pack ? it doesn't matter how many trick shots Ricky puts in us to avoid the collisions . . . the collision is going to be there.

"They are just such a big, physical side and they love that side of the game so I'm sure those guys have their sleeves rolled up and are ready to go."

There is still some conjecture over whether tomorrow's Test will be Johns's final appearance in the green and gold jersey, though it is sure to be his last on home soil.

Johns has hinted he might be interested in playing for the New Zealand "All Golds" in October, 2007 in a re-enactment of league's first international tour of England.

The touring side will be allowed one Australian player, who will be known as the "Dally Messenger", and Johns has expressed interest in being that player.

The Australian team arrived in Brisbane late yesterday.

When Johns plays at Suncorp Stadium in a sky blue jumper he is usually the villain.

This time he could be the hero.

"They usually boo me and grandmas used to give me the finger up here, so we'll see what happens Friday," laughed Johns.

New Zealand is expected to arrive this morning after Marshall's suspect shoulder was given the all-clear.

The Courier Mail

Queenslander
04-05-06, 12:16 PM
Ticket update from the Courier Mail:

More than 36,000 tickets had been sold by 5pm yesterday. :thumbsup:

[BroncosGirl]
04-05-06, 02:07 PM
Kiwis have an aussie Fullback,
Aussies have a kiwi fullback :fence:

Oh, how I find that hilarious :D
Im so psyched up about this match now its not funny. I don't think Joey will get many boos this time though ;) im pretty sure we're all for him up here atm come friday!

Queenslander
04-05-06, 05:46 PM
NZ lets Wiki decide league Test fitness
Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 5:24 PM

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan will leave warrior-like skipper Ruben Wiki to decide for himself whether he's fit to play in Friday's high pressure rugby league Test against Australia.

Wiki has been trying to overcome a hamstring injury and will be desperate to lead his men onto Suncorp Stadium as they attempt to prove they are indeed the world's best team against a side hell bent on revenge.

But McClennan had no concern about letting Wiki decide for himself whether he plays, extending his world record to 51 Test caps.

"The decision is Ruben's," McClennan said.

"There's no doubt he puts the Kiwi jersey first. If he says he's right, I know he's right."

The Kiwis are undaunted by the bookies' odds which have Australia paying just $1.20 to avenge last year's 24-0 Tri-Nations final loss while the visitors are paying a handsome $4.20.

"I think the odds reflect history, because many, many times have Australia, when they've been burnt, come out and really rectified a previous loss," said McClennan.

McClennan said the Kiwis took a lot of pride from knowing they'd breathed life back into Test football with last year's success.

"We're proud we've been able to create this anticipation and the excitement in this Test," he said.

"If we hadn't done what we did last year I doubt there'd be this many of you (media) here. It's a good thing for rugby league."

The fact Australia had gone out of its way to lure Andrew Johns and Ben Kennedy out of international retirement for one more Test was a mark of respect for the Kiwis, said McClennan.

"We have so much respect for rugby league in Australia but we have a lot of respect for ourselves too.

"We're proud of what we have achieved."

The Kiwis are naturally wary of the threat posed by Johns united with Darren Lockyer in the halves.

"It's proven if Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns can play with the freedom they want, it's going to make it a tough night for us," said McClennan.

"We know they're good players so it's up to us to make sure we don't let them run loose."

He forecast an intense and fascinating struggle.

"Australia pass the ball quicker and play laterally better than we can, they know that," said McClennan.

"But I think they also know we good at what we do.

"We have contrasting styles which will making it a very exciting Test."

The big Kiwis will attempt to take control the ruck and use their ability to stand and unload the football against the Kangaroos.

They did it very effectively in last year's final, frustrating Australia's defence, and with the addition of giant Sonny Bill Williams, they pose an even tougher challenge.

The Kiwis will have to break a streak of six consecutive losses on the ground formerly known as Lang Park, with their last win there a 13-6 boilover in 1987.

Meanwhile, the Kiwis rallied to the defence of their popular coach after an outburst in the media from Australian selector Bob Fulton who claimed McClenan's ego had "jumped out" since last year's big win.

Wiki made it clear the players loved having McClennan in charge as he made for a close-knit group.

"He (McClennan) is your mate, your uncle, your brother, he's your father figure," said Wiki.

"That's why we're so close, we share the love and we're not frightened to show our emotions.

"Bluey (McClennan) is not afraid to show it as well and it's why we'll do anything for him."

When told of Fulton's ego comment, McClennan smiled and replied with heavy irony: "That was from Bob Fulton? Bob Fulton said that?"

Kallan
04-05-06, 07:30 PM
So, who is going to the game? I am.

Go_The_Doggies
04-05-06, 08:18 PM
Anyone know the situation with Ruben??

Queenslander
04-05-06, 08:50 PM
Who better than the great man, Allan Langer, to present jerseys to our team.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Langer to present 'Roos league jerseys
Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 7:38 PM

Rookie Australian coach Ricky Stuart has turned to his toughest opponent Allan Langer to inspire his players for the battle against New Zealand.

Stuart and Langer were tremendous halfback rivals through the 90s for their clubs and state.

When it came to wearing the Australian No.7 jumper they were even fiercer rivals.

Stuart, big on passion, could not have picked anyone better than Langer to present his players with their Test jumpers on the eve of what many believe is the most important Test in years following the Kiwis' 24-0 Tri-Nations upset six months ago.

"It'll be a special occasion for the boys," said Stuart before the official presentation ceremony.

"Alf's a real good bloke and he was a great player for Australia.

"He's a real character, the sort of person that fits the theme of what we're trying to build here."

Stuart desperately wants his players to carry more passion and desire onto the field to match the Kiwis on Friday night.

Twelve players from the heavy loss will back up and Stuart admits he'd be disappointed if they didn't want to square up with the Kiwis.

"You'd be disappointed if they didn't want to make amends," he said.

"I know it's in the back of the minds of those guys involved in that game who'd love to turn the tables around.

"But it won't just happen.

"Just because we have Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus, probably the best players in their positions in the game, it won't happen automatically."

Stuart believes Kiwi five-eighth Benji Marshall, who's been insured against injury, will play injured and has been asked to carry too much pressure on his fragile young shoulders.

Marshall though could be spared the ferocious opening minutes and come off the bench but Stuart is expecting the Wests Tigers whiz kid to start.

Thomas Leuluai is an option but Kiwi coach Brian McClennan was playing his cards close to his chest on Thursday.

"I think he (Marshall) will start but if he doesn't, he'll be on at some stage," said Stuart.

"He's a great player, but there's a lot at stake for Benji.

"He's playing injured, he's got a concern for his club and he has to put a performance on for his team.

"There's a bit of pressure on the kid so we'll see how he comes up tomorrow night."

Marshall is not the only "kid" who'll come under intense pressure with 19-year-old Australia rookie fullback Karmichael Hunt sure to be tested by New Zealand in the nervous opening minutes.

Hunt has been subjected to constant attacks following his decision to play for Australia and not his native New Zealand.

Asked if Hunt had the courage to handle what would come his way, Stuart said: "He wouldn't be in the Test side if he didn't."

Stuart did not play the Andrew Johns and Ben Kennedy farewell Test card.

"I think the players know that. We haven't spoken about it but I'm sure the players will want to wish them all the best in their last Test.

"It's not something we'll build our game on or use as a motivating factor."

Stuart met with Test referee Ashley Klein to get his interpretation on several rulings.

"He's refereeing in a different country so it was just getting clarification on his interpretations around the ruck and his calls with the dominant and surrender tackles," said Stuart.

More than 40,000 tickets have been sold with the Kiwis likely to have good support after humiliating Australia last year.

"There's been a lot of media coverage and a lot of interest from the public, that's what Test matches are all about," said Stuart.

"They're about tough games, games that are won through attitude and the desire.

"With two great teams tomorrow night we've got a real Test match on our hands."

~Wild Child~
04-05-06, 08:58 PM
One more sleep to go..waiting ..waiting

Queenslander
05-05-06, 09:25 AM
Stuart demands passion, sacrifice
By Steve Ricketts, Mick Daly and Dean Ritchie
May 5, 2006

PRIDE, passion and an inexperienced referee have provided an explosive mix for tonight's Anzac Test between Australia and New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

Andrew Johns: Win or lose, I'll have no regrets

New Australia coach Ricky Stuart has revealed he will demand "pride, passion and sacrifice" from the Kangaroos in the face of an unprecedented challenge from the Kiwis for the No.1 world ranking.

At the same time, rival coach Brian McClennan said the Kiwis' chief playmaker Benji Marshall would stand up to anything Australia wanted to throw at him, despite the Wests Tigers NRL premiership star not having played for a month because of a shoulder injury.

Stuart will appeal to his players just before kick-off tonight to rectify what he perceived as a lack of passion in last year's Tri-Nations final, which the Kiwis won 24-0.

"I want pride, passion and sacrifice," Stuart said last night. "The players have to show what those words mean to them and that can only happen on the field.

"They can't just be words, they have to be actions. Their actions will determine how much they want to win."

Both camps believe tonight's Test, which will attract more than 40,000 people, could erupt early and the pressure will be on young Australian-born English Super League referee Ashley Klein from the outset.

The selection of 19-year-old Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt, who would have been eligible for New Zealand, in the Australia team has inflamed the Kiwis' passions all week with hints that they will be keen to target the youngster from the outset.

The Kangaroos have made it clear they will not stand for anything illegal to be directed at Hunt and the scene has been set for a fiery Test to match the 1985 classic at the same ground when then-Australia prop Greg Dowling and Kiwis hardman Kevin Tamati brawled on the sideline after being sent to the sin-bin.

Tamati is in Brisbane for tonight's Test and there is every possibility of similar fireworks.

Australia team manager and former Test great Craig Young last night vowed: "We won't be stood over.

"We've heard something could happen early - (a flare-up) is a distinct possibility.

"New Zealand have done plenty of talking and they are entitled to after last year but at the end if the day it comes down to what happens on the field. Whatever happens, we will have the confidence and discipline to absorb and respond.

"Our blokes will play by the rules but there is that pride factor. Sometimes things ignite and you have to deal with it."

McClennan stressed his side would not be trying to "rough up" Hunt.

"There won't be any dirty shots on Karmichael," he said.

"We're very conscious of giving away penalties when we earn ourselves some good field position. We'll be doing our best not to give away one penalty in the match. Dirty play costs you a penalty and we want to win this game."

The Kiwis could lose inspirational skipper Ruben Wiki to a hamstring injury today in which case Parramatta skipper Nathan Cayless would come into the 17.

McClennan would not rule out other last-minute changes and that could even mean Marshall being on the bench with Thomas Leuluai at halfback but whatever happens he believes Marshall will have a big impact on the outcome.

"Benji's going to step up and play well no matter what they throw at him," McClennan said.

Stuart expects Marshall to start and the young Gold Coast product has trained at five-eighth for most of the week.

By 6pm yesterday, more than 40,000 tickets had been sold for a clash which signals the Test swansong for Australian halfback Johns and lock Ben Kennedy.

News Limited newspapers

Go_The_Doggies
05-05-06, 02:09 PM
Anyone know about Ruben??

I have a feeling he wont play:(

Super Cronk
05-05-06, 02:24 PM
This morning they said they would give Wiki untill the very last minute to decide if he is fit or not.

Titanium_BD1103
05-05-06, 02:49 PM
Well they have until the last minute for everyone... for some reason the Test arena doesn't have a rule that states you have to name your side an hour before play... you can change your run on side as you run on and its not illegal... :noidea: :noidea:

Go_The_Doggies
05-05-06, 04:44 PM
Its up to ruben if he will play or not..i read before.

Im confident he'll play now:D

Queenslander
06-05-06, 09:50 AM
FINAL SCORE

Australia: 50
Try scorers: Cooper, Gasnier, Tahu(2), Hindmarsh, Lockyer(2), Buderus

New Zealand: 12
Try scorers: Kidwell, Williams

Queenslander
06-05-06, 09:51 AM
Great results by the Australians, but some kiwi fans thought different ;)

Kiwi fans steal Anzac cup
May 6, 2006

A NEW ZEALAND fan has been accused of stealing the coveted Anzac Cup won by the Australian Rugby League team in Brisbane overnight.

Three 25-year-old New Zealand men gatecrashed the Australian Rugby League team's after-match party, but complied when they were asked to leave, police said.

However, police allege they returned to the venue about 1.40am (AEST) today and one of the men grabbed the test trophy and ran away.

The two other men were detained at the venue.

The trophy was later located in the awning of a city building with the assistance of the man accused of stealing it, police said.

Charges will not be pressed against the men.

AAP

Dakink
06-05-06, 09:58 AM
What an awesome game!!!

Ill write a bit more later but for right now, that was awesome!!!

A.Johns should and will be the next immortal. The way he controlled the game was unstoppable. That game was won with the defence, which then allowed Johns to pick and choose his runners. Worked well with Lockyer, but there was no mistaking who was running the show, with Johns overcalling Lockyer a couple of occassions and the ball going to where Johns wanted it each and every time. Together they were deadly - Through in Buderus and the Kiwis really didnt have a chance.

One comment I will make after last night, Lockyer IS a better fullback than 6. He was exposed a couple of times by the Kiwis and was covered well by the defence around him, but he would have to be one of the best hole runners at pace in the game. His knack of being in the right place and the right time was so obvious when he got shifted back. The Broncos and Qld will be so much more dangerous with Lockyer at 1 and Thurston at 6.

Good to see Thurston get so involved when he came on. Looked more than ready for the game... More later.

Teegy
06-05-06, 10:24 AM
Locky would have to be the frontrunner for the QLD fullback spot if Prince hits some form. Darren showed why he is a better fullback than 5/8 in the game.

DeeGan
06-05-06, 11:17 AM
Great game, great win, order is restored.

Danny Buderus was sensational, I am not getting caught up in the love affair with Johns and his last appearance in the green and gold, Buderus was the best player on the field bar none.

Andrew Johns was great too, early his kicking game found the fullback a couple of times on the full which is rare when talking about Johns, but as the game wore on and the forwards got on top of the Kiwi pack, he came in to his own and as Dakink said, controlled the game. His partnership with Buderus brilliant.

Darren Lockyer played 50 minutes at five-eight and 30 mins at fullback - Lockyer was equally great last night as we have come to expect from the captain when he pulls on that green and gold jersey. With Johns taking control, Lockyer had the option of sitting back and picking his spots last night - he was very good last night. When at fullback he defused a couple of hairy situations (one chip kick that was rolling end over end and the other a chip kick he took on the full in which he nearly took it the length of the field) and looked as comfortable as ever.

Lockyer has not played fullback since 2003, last night you would not have known. Should we have been surprised? No, but few would of predicted the ease of transition from the greatest fullback of the modern era.

Matt Cooper answered critics last night, on form he was lucky to hold out Hodges, though last night he was brilliant on the left hand side of the field combining with Tahu brilliantly in attack and defensively he was great. Props to Cooper, great game.

Karmichael Hunt, barring one bad pass to King that led to a NZ try later in the game, was strong in his debut. Got involved and was safe at the back. He also was invovled in Cooper's try and looked at home at Test level. He copped alot from the Kiwi's and all barring that one sickening hit, got up each time.

As for that hit from Pritchard, two things bugged me. One, Tame Tupou his Bronco team mate coming in carrying on like a pork chop congratulating Pritchard whilst Hunt lay motionless on the football field. Yes, this is Test football, though it didn't sit well with me at all. Two, where were the forwards who vowed to protect Hunt in this Test as he lay motionless on the field? I expected to see O'Meley and co. rushing in to clear house and take the Kiwi's down a peg or two - maybe I expected too much.

I was surprised to see the Australian attack concentrate solely on the left hand side of the field where Jake Webster was. I thought the attack would be aimed at Tupou who went better than I expected though still looked out of his depth.

Great win, I did see DIEHARD at the start of the Test holding the inflatable Kangaroo in a rather risque position it must be said :laugh:

SuperCliffy#01
06-05-06, 11:21 AM
What an awesome game!!!

Ill write a bit more later but for right now, that was awesome!!!

A.Johns should and will be the next immortal. The way he controlled the game was unstoppable. That game was won with the defence, which then allowed Johns to pick and choose his runners. Worked well with Lockyer, but there was no mistaking who was running the show, with Johns overcalling Lockyer a couple of occassions and the ball going to where Johns wanted it each and every time. Together they were deadly - Through in Buderus and the Kiwis really didnt have a chance.

One comment I will make after last night, Lockyer IS a better fullback than 6. He was exposed a couple of times by the Kiwis and was covered well by the defence around him, but he would have to be one of the best hole runners at pace in the game. His knack of being in the right place and the right time was so obvious when he got shifted back. The Broncos and Qld will be so much more dangerous with Lockyer at 1 and Thurston at 6.

Good to see Thurston get so involved when he came on. Looked more than ready for the game... More later.

Johns is already an immortal, and Lockyer played very well and yes i totaly agree with Dakink his position is fullback not half/5-8th it allows him more freedom come in to the play more. Boy am i wrong or is Ben Kennedy playing the best football of his career or what.

Can't wait for the Tri-Nations tournament.cya.

Chaos
06-05-06, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Clifford87]Johns is already an immortal, and Lockyer played very well and yes i totaly agree with Dakink his position is fullback not half/5-8th it allows him more freedom come in to the play more. Boy am i wrong or is Ben Kennedy playing the best football of his career or what.QUOTE]

The question still remains unanswered...Would Johns be the footballer as we see him, without Buderus in hooker?

John's and Buderus make a great combination but have had the luxury to play together thoughout their career, club and rep.

Maybe they could go down as an 'Imortal Combination'

Chaos
06-05-06, 12:07 PM
His knack of being in the right place and the right time was so obvious when he got shifted back.

DaKink,

Your comment above, is my main reason I want to see Lockyer play fullback for Queesland, he reads the game better then most.
He will have the freedom to move where he visions the play to be.
At the back he can turn defence into attack.
At the moment he is stuck on one side and getting targeted.

A side can change it's whole structure from having a week spot in defence, to having a dangerous fullback that kickers don't want to kick to.

Titanium_BD1103
06-05-06, 12:31 PM
Great results by the Australians, but some kiwi fans thought different ;)

Kiwi fans steal Anzac cup
May 6, 2006

A NEW ZEALAND fan has been accused of stealing the coveted Anzac Cup won by the Australian Rugby League team in Brisbane overnight.

Three 25-year-old New Zealand men gatecrashed the Australian Rugby League team's after-match party, but complied when they were asked to leave, police said.

However, police allege they returned to the venue about 1.40am (AEST) today and one of the men grabbed the test trophy and ran away.

The two other men were detained at the venue.

The trophy was later located in the awning of a city building with the assistance of the man accused of stealing it, police said.

Charges will not be pressed against the men.

AAP

These blokes are not very smart... they decided to go nick the trophy from under the nose of Craig Young... he is one big man... they could have tried something better LMAO... :noidea:

Listening to Ricky on 2GB now... he said his whole family was there when it was stolen... I just can't believe they got in there... where was security... :roll:

Dakink
06-05-06, 12:35 PM
Great win, I did see DIEHARD at the start of the Test holding the inflatable Kangaroo in a rather risque position it must be said

That dirty little Roo!!

She spent most of the start with me - Ill never speak to her again!

Steelers
06-05-06, 01:03 PM
It was a great game... but I don't think that this score is a true representation of how close it is between the two nations... BRING ON TRI NATIONS!

Go_The_Doggies
06-05-06, 03:33 PM
Meh NZ didnt play that well.

I had a feeling all week we wouldnt win..i also had a feeling ruben wouldnt play..then i thought he would coz it was up to him..but then he didnt :(

Ohwell...its the tri nats that matter..its not like we were defending the anzac test title..lol..woulda been nice to defend it next year tho..*sigh* :thumbsup:

[BroncosGirl]
06-05-06, 04:31 PM
Pretty good game, nothign spectacular. The Aussies were solid. THurston played well the time he was on, Hunt also had a solid game up until that incident.

Which Im going to say one t hing: does it make anyone else sick to the stomach when you hear people laughing about a player getting hurt? Sure it might have been a good hit, but it came out as a bad result, and people still find it funny saying "Kh**t deserved it", and stu pid thinkgs like that.

Go_The_Doggies
06-05-06, 05:47 PM
I'll say he deserved to get hit..as any strong kiwi supporter would agree. But getting knocked out..i dont think so..

[BroncosGirl]
06-05-06, 05:52 PM
I'll say he deserved to get hit..as any strong kiwi supporter would agree. But getting knocked out..i dont think so..

Thats what I mean? Getting injured. I mean I think it would have been a good hit and all, if the result had of been different. But I know some sick people saying, he deserved to get knocked out, and it was dissapoining he managed to get up... and so on!! :curse:

~Wild Child~
06-05-06, 05:54 PM
']Pretty good game, nothign spectacular. The Aussies were solid. THurston played well the time he was on, Hunt also had a solid game up until that incident.

Which Im going to say one t hing: does it make anyone else sick to the stomach when you hear people laughing about a player getting hurt? Sure it might have been a good hit, but it came out as a bad result, and people still find it funny saying "Khunt deserved it", and stu pid thinkgs like that.
Tame's joyful reaction to Karmichaels uncionsiousness made me feel sick....The way which Karmichael's name is being written "Kh**t" also makes me feel ill.

[BroncosGirl]
06-05-06, 06:07 PM
I've gotten so used to the Khun term, being on teh dogs forum and all :p

Im undecided about Tame's reaction, I don't know what he exactly saw, I mean he cheered at first thinking it was a great shot, but he was quiet after K didn't get up. So Im sure he wasn't cheering the fact he got hurt, It's still pretty bad though, I agree.

~Wild Child~
06-05-06, 06:23 PM
']I've gotten so used to the Khun term, being on teh dogs forum and all :p

Im undecided about Tame's reaction, I don't know what he exactly saw, I mean he cheered at first thinking it was a great shot, but he was quiet after K didn't get up. So Im sure he wasn't cheering the fact he got hurt, It's still pretty bad though, I agree.Broncosgirl- At HQ they are saying that some of the other Bronco's have told K.H about Tame's reaction.and that Tame is copping some stick over it. To my mind if all that Tame saw was K.H not getting up, and obviously hurt...why the joy....Hope Tame ends up playing for Warriors..He would fit in nicely there.As to the pronounciation of K.H's name..The people who are using it,give League a bad name. There are 13 y.o. reading these things..So if they can't show K.H some respect..how about some respect for the younger ones .

[BroncosGirl]
06-05-06, 06:39 PM
Broncosgirl- At HQ they are saying that some of the other Bronco's have told K.H about Tame's reaction.and that Tame is copping some stick over it. To my mind if all that Tame saw was K.H not getting up, and obviously hurt...why the joy....Hope Tame ends up playing for Warriors..He would fit in nicely there.As to the pronounciation of K.H's name..The people who are using it,give League a bad name. There are 13 y.o. reading these things..So if they can't show K.H some respect..how about some respect for the younger ones .

Yea I saw the news also, and the thread.

All im saying about the Kh**t thing, is, we're not going to stop them, there are worse things, they're childish, lets not be childish by *****ing about it.

As for Tame's reaction, aah well its over now, when Hunt said he was giving him stick over it, he also said it with a smile, they talked at training, Im sure they're friendship isnt over by it ;)

Moejoe
06-05-06, 06:50 PM
To be honest, I was truely suprised at how well Karmichael Hunt played the first 50 mins of the game.. Always screaming out orders and really doing what a good full back should do.. My only critisism about his play was that he stood to deep on defence.. New zealand all though they didnt, Could quite have easily used the ol' Chip and chase tactic and really put hunt in a situation.. Apart from that I thought he did well.

And deegan, If you thought Diehard wsa holding the Mascot in a "Risque" posistion, You should have seen Dakink "Getting to know" the poor Kangaroo before the game.. I really think it was love a t first site for Dakink and I wish him and the roo all the happiness in the world :) (Just kidding)

To all the people I met last night, It was fun, Dakink and Mrs Dakink, HodgoBerro, Diehard ant his friend Goatsee (Sorry if i got the last one wrong, I can never remember it)

I finaly made it back to the Gold coast this morning at about 5am after partying with some really nice (Big tough) Kiwi guys, Who took the game for what it wsa and enjoyed the fact that Rugby league won on the night.. The biggest test crowd in 40 years, and everyone in the pub Celebrating the fact that we witnessed a good game of football, Regardless of the score.

Regards,
Moejoe

~Wild Child~
06-05-06, 06:53 PM
']Yea I saw the news also, and the thread.

All im saying about the Kh**t thing, is, we're not going to stop them, there are worse things, they're childish, lets not be childish by *****ing about it.

As for Tame's reaction, aah well its over now, when Hunt said he was giving him stick over it, he also said it with a smile, they talked at training, Im sure they're friendship isnt over by it ;)Yep...you're right.

Coaster
06-05-06, 07:17 PM
Damn i should have come over for a chat, i didnt meet anyone but Diehard(i dont think), and only knew who he was, after him picking out my Dolphins jumper.

Moejoe
06-05-06, 07:21 PM
Damn i should have come over for a chat, i didnt meet anyone but Diehard(i dont think), and only knew who he was, after him picking out my Dolphins jumper.

So where you the big fella in the roo crew section with that jumper on??

I actually said to dakink at one stage, I wonder if thats Deegan lol...

Kallan
06-05-06, 07:32 PM
I seen a few people wearing Gold coast titans jerseys, was that anyone in here by any chance?

Chaos
06-05-06, 07:58 PM
Looks like you guys are getting to know each other in person.
I can see the Titans fan club getting together for all their home games already.

Coaster
06-05-06, 08:08 PM
Yeah was a cool response to the Dolphins Jumper, was surprised how many people came up for a chat about it.

Met 1 bloke at halftime that was intriged about it, and wanted to buy it for 200.

The train ride up was cool too, will be awesome support for the Titans next year, and many too come. Everything was positive and the Coast just cant wait for the team.

I dont think even the Titans know exactly how much support they really do have.

On a side note, for a joke i wore the Dolphins jumper into the central Coast Leagues club to see the reaction(just before we had to change the name)
Nothing!!! Not one word!! Man i was dissapointed :beer:

Dakink
06-05-06, 08:09 PM

I think I saw you Coaster!!

I saw you sitting there with your Dolphins jersey - I saw it first cause I thought it was Diehard at first.

Chaos
06-05-06, 08:29 PM
I think I saw you Coaster!!

I saw you sitting there with your Dolphins jersey - I saw it first cause I thought it was Diehard at first.

Diehard looks like Coaster?
Poor Diehard

Go_The_Doggies
06-05-06, 08:41 PM
Woohoo im childish :thumbsup:

Meh i dont care...lol...i dont like karmichael(is that better:p). But i am not one of those saying "hahaha he got injured" ..

...ohwell its over and done...

move on

:peace:

oh p.s tame's reaction was just in the heat of the moment imo

Dakink
06-05-06, 08:46 PM
Diehard looks like Coaster?
Poor Diehard

LOL no it was just the jersey, until I saw him turn around!

Coaster
06-05-06, 08:57 PM
Im sure i dont look like diehard!

Diehard didnt even have hair if i remeber right

Who knows about Deegan?

But if he is a good looking chap with a snake in his trousers that makes him look like he has a limp, and shoulders wide enough for NZ to cry on today then maybe he looks like me :naughty:

BTW Choas was that you at halfback for the Kiwis last night? (before Benji) :emp:

TITAN PETE
06-05-06, 09:08 PM
I was there sitting in the front row wearing my TITANS Jersey with pride & had many people want to chat about the team , its getting closer guys :D !

Steve Dangerous
06-05-06, 09:15 PM
heya.

good to see a few of you last night.

i thought the shot on hunt was terribly cheap. hunt had been absolutely smashed all night, and the shot that KO'd him was definately a deliberate attempt to take him out. and being proud to hurt a guy is shameful.

Titanium_BD1103
06-05-06, 09:29 PM
Interesting Idea there Steve... I actually thought that yes they targeted him.. but the shot IMO was accidental.

Yes Pritchard hit him with a swinging arm which is wrong... but Karmichael fell into it as well, he was running and then slipped and started falling, and the arm made contact with the head.

Sadly it occured, but that is my interpretation, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.. ;)

Chaos
06-05-06, 09:41 PM
heya.

good to see a few of you last night.

i thought the shot on hunt was terribly cheap. hunt had been absolutely smashed all night, and the shot that KO'd him was definately a deliberate attempt to take him out. and being proud to hurt a guy is shameful.

Hunt stepped into a solid hit from Pritchard.
Why is Hunt stepping into tackles?...he came on the scene with a magic step to avoid being tackled.
It's like he's been coached not to use the step god gave him.

Steelers
06-05-06, 09:50 PM
I don't mind Tame Tupou elebrating the hit on Karmichael... Intl RL is just like SOO... mate against mate. You put all club issues and allegiances aside and play for your country, and all of the opposing countries players are the enemy.

Go_The_Doggies
06-05-06, 09:55 PM
I don't mind Tame Tupou elebrating the hit on Karmichael... Intl RL is just like SOO... mate against mate. You put all club issues and allegiances aside and play for your country, and all of the opposing countries players are the enemy.
Exactly...

Steve Dangerous
06-05-06, 10:56 PM

yes but this isn't celebrating a good hit, it's celebrating an illegal high tackle. it's like showing pleasure at a spear tackle. a sick headknock just isn't something you should get joy from, unless you're extremely sadistic.

Dakink
07-05-06, 08:09 AM
yes but this isn't celebrating a good hit, it's celebrating an illegal high tackle. it's like showing pleasure at a spear tackle. a sick headknock just isn't something you should get joy from, unless you're extremely sadistic.

Right on the money - If a player gets hit in a fair tackle - then so be it. Hunt was hit illegaly and knocked out, poor form to celebrate over an uncouncious player knocked out through illegal play..

Go_The_Doggies
07-05-06, 09:52 AM
It was heat of the moment stuff, just like willie mason was when o'meley knocked gibbs out. No one went rambling on about that!!

Dakink
07-05-06, 10:44 AM
It was heat of the moment stuff, just like willie mason was when o'meley knocked gibbs out. No one went rambling on about that!!

If I remember rightly people objected to Willie's behaviour just as loudly as they are to Pritchard's....

Heat of the moment maybe - but standing over an uncouncious player is pretty low in my book. I could understand if it was a legitimate tackle, but even then I still have a problem with standing over an unconcious player, as they hav suffered serious trauma and the could be at risk of further damage if not mamanged properly. I have a lot more respect for aomeone who shows concern for someone who is knocked out - and I have seen that happen even in the heat of battle.

Go_The_Doggies
07-05-06, 11:49 AM
Ohwell get over it lol..its been done..im sure tame is regretting what he did..

Moejoe
07-05-06, 12:20 PM
On a change of topic, This one is for you Dakink, Tell your girl her TV debut on the sunday roast was'nt as bad as she thought it would be Haha..

Regards,
Moejoe

Dakink
07-05-06, 01:23 PM
On a change of topic, This one is for you Dakink, Tell your girl her TV debut on the sunday roast was'nt as bad as she thought it would be Haha..

Regards,
Moejoe

LOL I just saw her, she came up alright!!

For those who just saw the Sunday roast my wife was the last one they interviewed about having more Internationals during the year. She was wearing a Roo Crew supporter shirt which was basically a t shirt version of the Aussie jersey!

Steve Dangerous
07-05-06, 01:38 PM
she's famous! magazine deal sure to be coming.

i didn't see it unfortunately.