PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos Webb's dream

Queenslander
29-04-06, 01:00 PM
Broncos Webb's dream
Amy Harris
April 29, 2006

AUSTRALIAN Test bolter and Cowboys enforcer Carl Webb wants to be a Bronco again.

The ink is barely dry on a new deal that will keep him in Townsville until the end of 2008, but the 25-year-old admits he still harbours a burning ambition to return to the club that gave him his start in 2000.

"Eventually I would like to go back," said Webb, who won a premiership in his debut NRL season alongside Brisbane greats Gorden Tallis, Shane Webcke and Darren Lockyer.

"I really enjoyed my time at the Broncos. I loved it there. I loved the city and the Broncos were always my favourite team growing up.

"I learned so much playing with them ? Gordy, Webby, Locky and those guys.

"I was schooled by some of the best and I was privileged to just be a part of it. I'd love to return.

"I feel like I'm at the halfway point at my career now. I've got a couple more seasons with the Cows and I'd like to think I've got plenty of good football left in me after that."

Webb's value could skyrocket tomorrow if he is named on the bench for Australia's clash with New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium next Friday night.

He has been named as a contender but Webb says he will be shocked if selected.

"I just don't think I'm ready yet," he said. "I'm probably a bit underdone and need to get my fitness back up a bit more."

Webb gets the chance to impress Australian coach Ricky Stuart tonight when the Cowboys take on Stuart's Sydney Roosters at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Webb, who recently signed a two-year contract extension in north Queensland that will take him to age 28, believes he can play on until at least 30.

"My body feels good. There's always room for improvement and I think I've still got a lot of areas I can work on," he said.

"I'd like to think I can keep going until I'm 35, but I'll take it a season at a time."

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said Webb would be welcome back at the Broncos and admired the work ethic the hulking prop had shown under the iron fist of Cowboys trainer Billy Johnstone.

"He was one of those players who probably got into a bit of a rut and needed a change of scenery and that's what the Cowboys have been for him," Cullen said.

"He went away and has worked on his game and has proven that when he is fully fit, he is an extremely explosive player.

"If he became available on the open market ? and we had the money ? we would do what we could to get him back."

Cullen pointed to the longevity of retiring prop Webcke as a sign that Webb's best years were still to come.

"Shane is 32 and has played some of his best football over the past couple of seasons," he said.

"Props have shown in the past few years that they really start maturing at around 28 or 29, which gives Carl plenty more years."

After making the switch to the Cowboys last year, Webb said he still found it tough to face his old team.

"It's weird watching the boys go around. I still follow them and stop and watch them whenever they are playing. You can't switch that off," he said.

Webb's improving form over the past month has seen him emerge as a possible bolter for Friday's Test against New Zealand.

But the Origin firebrand says he doesn't deserve to be picked.

The Cowboys dropped centre Ashley Graham to the Young Guns last night, with 18th man Gavin Cooper the replacement.

Graham played his first game for the Cowboys against Cronulla last Saturday after joining the club from Parramatta a month ago.

Captain Travis Norton was also cleared to play after overcoming a calf injury.

The Courier Mail

Queenslander
29-04-06, 01:02 PM
It's interesting that two cowboys have stated their intentions to leave their club after their contracts are finished :hmm: Im sure that Webb would be welcomed back with open arms to the Broncos. :happy:

qld power
29-04-06, 01:06 PM
as longs its not a sydney based team im happy with webby

The Original Idiot
29-04-06, 05:37 PM
There goes any chance of him being a Titan.

Eel 33
01-05-06, 11:24 AM
It's interesting that two cowboys have stated their intentions to leave their club after their contracts are finished :hmm: Im sure that Webb would be welcomed back with open arms to the Broncos. :happy:

Just lucky his current coach isn't Brian Smith. He could've already been shown the door, look what he did to Ashley Graham.

[BroncosGirl]
01-05-06, 02:10 PM
I dont want him back at the Broncos. I hope he doesn't come back, we've got enough players to fill the spots he can play thank you very much.