PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Australia vs Rest of the World 17

DeeGan
01-10-05, 12:54 PM
Idea: Australia vs Rest of the World 17

We have done this before, perhaps before some members time, though it has been done and with the cricket doing the same thing this summer, could the IRL board look at staging this 3 test series every second year replacing the Tr-Nation series?

Example

2005 - Tri-Nations
2006 - Australia vs Rest of the World
2007 - Tri-Nations
2008 - Australia vs Rest of the World

Obviously, chuck a World Cup in there as well ;)

If you believe it can be, who would you have in your World 17 to take on the World Champion Australian Kangaroo team?

Cheers

DeeGan

[BroncosGirl]
01-10-05, 12:57 PM
Id like to see that. But there are ALOT of players to pick for rest of the world ... especially from england and nz.

Steelers
01-10-05, 01:15 PM
I don't know that many players from england, so I can't put in a team. They could also do a NRL V Super League (as stated in another thread) instead of doing the AUS V WORLD every 2 years

eg.
2005 - Tri-Nations
2006 - Australia vs Rest of the World
2007 - Tri-Nations
2008 - NRL vs Super League

League Freak
01-10-05, 03:30 PM
Personally I think what we need to see is the top three internationa sides playing OTHER teams.

Steelers
01-10-05, 03:33 PM
Personally I think what we need to see is the top three internationa sides playing OTHER teams.
I would love to see that, but all the developing nations are nowhere near the quality of AUS, NZ and GB. Hopefully one day, they will be. If they played now, you would only see large scorelines (just look at the PM team that went to PNG. Not the actual AUS team yet still beat the 30-ish to nil.)

Dakink
01-10-05, 03:38 PM

I agree and if not the top team then the best up and comers should be mixed with a couple of old heads for PM XIII tours like v PNG.

PARANoIR
01-10-05, 04:56 PM
1. Paul Wellens
2. Lesley Vainikolo
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Martin Gleeson
5. Brian Carney
6. Paul Sculthorpe
7. Stacey Jones
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Paul Rauhihi
11. Ali Lauiti'iti
12. Jamie Pea****
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Jerome Guissette
15. Roy Asotasi
16. Adrian Morley
17. Gareth Ellis

Thats something like the side I'd go for...

<edit> Forgot Morley :p

Steelers
01-10-05, 05:01 PM
1. Paul Wellens
2. Lesley Vainikolo
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Martin Gleeson
5. Brian Carney
6. Paul Sculthorpe
7. Stacey Jones
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Paul Rauhihi
11. Ali Lauiti'iti
12. Jamie Pea****
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Jerome Guissette
15. Roy Asotasi
16. Jason Cayless
17. Gareth Ellis

Thats something like the side I'd go for...

i recognise alot of names. a very strong side. just depends if they could work together as a unit

PARANoIR
01-10-05, 05:02 PM
lol @ Jamie Peac0ck being censored.

ridgey
01-10-05, 05:27 PM
i don't mind the rest of the world concept but it would have to be every 2 to 4 years i think as a series,+ keep developing the other nations as well like P.N.G,U.S.A and others.

possible world 17-

1.P.Wellens GB
2.B.Carney GB
3.P.Whatuira NZ
4.I.Soliola NZ
5.L.Vainikolo NZ
6.B.Marshall NZ
7.D.McGuire GB
13.P.Sculthorpe GB
12.S.B.Williams NZ
11.S.Fielden GB
10.A.Morley GB
9.K.Cunningham GB
8.N.Cayless(C) NZ

14.D.Halatau NZ
15.R.Asotasi NZ
16.P.Rauhihi NZ
17.K.Sinfield GB

Hindy_Magic
01-10-05, 08:15 PM
it is supposed to be a world 17 not a comined great britian and new zealand.. i am sure there is some good talent in other countries eg hazem el masri lebanon.

PARANoIR
01-10-05, 08:26 PM
it is supposed to be a world 17 not a comined great britian and new zealand.. i am sure there is some good talent in other countries eg hazem el masri lebanon.

Aware of that, Vainikolo and Carney are better than El Masri, I'd choose Hazem if one of them were injured and besides Hazem's played for Australia.

Inferno
01-10-05, 09:50 PM
he played for Lebanon in the last world cup along with Robbie Farrah.

I think you are able to represent developing countries along with Australia or New Zealand.

There are 2 sharks playing for Samoa that made the Kiwi train on squad for the tri-nations.

Super Cronk
01-10-05, 11:51 PM
I like this idea...i reckon it would work. Maybe throw in some PNG players or some americans and even lebanon players. Make it more intresting.

Steve Dangerous
02-10-05, 12:00 AM
i don't really think much of international rugby league. it's pretty dead.

Steelers
02-10-05, 12:05 AM
i don't really think much of international rugby league. it's pretty dead.

that is the whole point of games like these, to raise the bar of international league. something has to be done!

Steve Dangerous
02-10-05, 12:16 AM
i know, but then if it's a blowout score then it just makes the international game look even more dodgy.

Steelers
02-10-05, 12:20 AM
i know, but then if it's a blowout score then it just makes the international game look even more dodgy.

it most likely wont be. look at recent matches of AUS V NZ and AUS V GB. Both have been close. Now imagine if NZ and GB were combined. Very unlikely to be a blowout.

Inferno
02-10-05, 12:21 AM
exactly

How about having a exempting players that play for developing countries from the salary cap? or making a seperate salary cap for those players, catch is if they do that those players are not eligible for SOO or Australia

Inferno
02-10-05, 12:23 AM
it most likely wont be. look at recent matches of AUS V NZ and AUS V GB. Both have been close. Now imagine if NZ and GB were combined. Very unlikely to be a blowout.

He's talking about the developing countries like russia, france, Malta etc.

Just playing a world team full of kiwis and poms won't do much for the sport internationally, all it does it give the Aussies a challange

smerk
02-10-05, 01:36 AM
Sorry, but if we do this, we can kiss International League goodbye forever!

++What if they lost???It would be a DISASTER! ABSOLUTE DISASTER! All the hard work and creditability will just be burnt to the ground.

There would be a media frenzy if we ever did this, people would say we did it because League isnt played anywhere else but Aus, everyone else is so **** that we have resorted to this....not only is it insulting to GB and NZ...its just ridiculous!

WORST IDEA EVER!...SERIOUSLY!

ridgey
02-10-05, 08:34 AM

well have a go mate pick a 17.

ridgey
02-10-05, 08:45 AM

++What if they lost???It would be a DISASTER! ABSOLUTE DISASTER! All the hard work and creditability will just be burnt to the ground.

There would be a media frenzy if we ever did this, people would say we did it because League isnt played anywhere else but Aus, everyone else is so **** that we have resorted to this....not only is it insulting to GB and NZ...its just ridiculous!

so you'd rather just see the Anzac test and tri nations every year,that won't help international league either bud.

PARANoIR
02-10-05, 08:57 AM

What do you mean what if? They would lose. There are players not selected in Australian sides that would probably make that world side.

smerk
02-10-05, 04:19 PM
so you'd rather just see the Anzac test and tri nations every year,that won't help international league either bud.

You idiot...do you honestly think those are the only games played/being played this year??

*Exhibitions
-England/France
-England/NZ
-Malta/Greece
-Malta/England Lionhearts
-France/Australia
-France/NZ
-Liban Espoir/England Lionhearts
-Welsh Presidents/Liban Espoir
-Tonga/Samoa
-Fiji A/Australian Terr.
-NZ A/Country NSW
-Malta/French Espoirs
-Ireland/Cumbria

*European Nations Qualf. Tournament
-Georgia/Holland
-Georgia/Serbia
-Serbia/Holland

*European Nations Championship
-France/Russia
-Georgia/France
-Russia/Georgia
-Scotland/Wales
-Ireland/Wales
-Scotland/Ireland
-Final in France

*Home Nations
-Wales/Scotland
-Wales/Ireland
-Scotland/England
-England/Wales

*Under16 World Championship
-Russia/Barbarians
-France/Italian
-Australia/Russia B
-PNG/Scotland
-France/Russia B
-Australia/Italy
-Russia/Scotland
-PNG/Barbarians
-Italy/Russia B
-Australia/France
-Russia/PNG
-Barbarians/Scotland
-Finals
-Final in Moscow

*Invitational
-Australian PM XIII/PNG PM XIII

*Student World Cup
-Over 20 games featuring:
-Australia
-Pacific Islands
-Ireland
-Scotland
-NZ
-Wales
-England
-France

*Junior Exhibitions
-Jnr Kiwis/Australian Schoolboys
-U16 NZ/Parramatta Invitational
-U16 NZ/NSW Country

*U16 Britsh French Tournament
-England/France
-France/England
-England/Wales
-Wales/England

*Oceanic-Pacifica Tournament
-Including:
-Aboriginal All-Stars
-Wairere Australia Maori
-Sydney North Tongans
-Fiji "A"
-Tama Samoa
-Cook islands

*Cook Is/NZ Maori Series
-Cook Island/NZ Maori
-Cook Island/NZ Maori
-Cook Island/NZ Maori

*Fiji U16 Tour
-vs. various QLD teams

*9s and 7s tournaments
-A heap of them

PARANoIR
02-10-05, 06:00 PM
lol. But the tri nations is the only tournament of internationals being played this season :p

ridgey
03-10-05, 12:30 PM
You idiot...do you honestly think those are the only games played/being played this year??

*Exhibitions
-England/France
-England/NZ
-Malta/Greece
-Malta/England Lionhearts
-France/Australia
-France/NZ
-Liban Espoir/England Lionhearts
-Welsh Presidents/Liban Espoir
-Tonga/Samoa
-Fiji A/Australian Terr.
-NZ A/Country NSW
-Malta/French Espoirs
-Ireland/Cumbria

*European Nations Qualf. Tournament
-Georgia/Holland
-Georgia/Serbia
-Serbia/Holland

*European Nations Championship
-France/Russia
-Georgia/France
-Russia/Georgia
-Scotland/Wales
-Ireland/Wales
-Scotland/Ireland
-Final in France

*Home Nations
-Wales/Scotland
-Wales/Ireland
-Scotland/England
-England/Wales

*Under16 World Championship
-Russia/Barbarians
-France/Italian
-Australia/Russia B
-PNG/Scotland
-France/Russia B
-Australia/Italy
-Russia/Scotland
-PNG/Barbarians
-Italy/Russia B
-Australia/France
-Russia/PNG
-Barbarians/Scotland
-Finals
-Final in Moscow

*Invitational
-Australian PM XIII/PNG PM XIII

*Student World Cup
-Over 20 games featuring:
-Australia
-Pacific Islands
-Ireland
-Scotland
-NZ
-Wales
-England
-France

*Junior Exhibitions
-U16 NZ/Parramatta Invitational
-U16 NZ/NSW Country

*U16 Britsh French Tournament
-England/France
-France/England
-England/Wales
-Wales/England

*Oceanic-Pacifica Tournament
-Including:
-Aboriginal All-Stars
-Wairere Australia Maori
-Sydney North Tongans
-Fiji "A"
-Tama Samoa
-Cook islands

*Cook Is/NZ Maori Series
-Cook Island/NZ Maori
-Cook Island/NZ Maori
-Cook Island/NZ Maori

*Fiji U16 Tour
-vs. various QLD teams

*9s and 7s tournaments
-A heap of them

hey ease up on the idiot call mate, i mean we all love league and you can have an opinion but your overstepping the mark abusing people!

DeeGan
03-10-05, 12:39 PM
Smerk

Opinion: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty

We all have one, we are all entitled to one ;) Keep that in mind when posting at this forum whether you are for or against it.

The thread was born to simply provide debate on an idea that has been looked at before AND to get members to perhaps nominate a World 17 team made up ALL nations barring the Australian team.

Cheers

DeeGan

smerk
03-10-05, 04:44 PM
Sorry mate, I know your not an idiot, your post just inspired me to create that list, sorry if you were offended.

By the way, calling you an idiot is hardly abuse, abuse is such an ugly word, it could be moderately upsetting depending on your social/cultural context. If you were deeply offended, Im sorry, either way I apologize.

DeeGan, on what are you implying by your post?

A. That I was not accepting of ridgey's comments
B. I do not accept your opinion?

I dont get it, my posts were opinionated, so whats the problem?

I still fail to understand what I did wrong. I posted a message, a forum member didnt agree with my thoughts, which I thought was rather ignorant, considering his knowledge of the International scene was rather basic. I just wanted to re-enforce my opinion that this idea is not needed.

I understand, idiot, was not appropriate in this forum, but please, elaborate on what I did wrong - excluding calling him an idiot.

DeeGan
03-10-05, 05:00 PM
Whilst I appreciate the thought put in to the above, there is no need to elaborate as for one I don't have the time this afternoon.

Have your opinion, post in rebuttle to members who may agree or disagree and leave the name calling for another forum.

DeeGan

smerk
03-10-05, 05:33 PM
Fair enough. Thanks mate.

The Ballboys
04-10-05, 04:25 PM
The Australian Rep Side need to get serious about international competition for it to start working. Player's need to be ruled eligible for the growing nations and therefore cannot play for the Kangaroo's
EG.
Petero Civonicieva should play for FIJI
Willie Mason, Karmichael Hunt, Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll should be playing for NZ

I honestly believe the lure of State of Origin is what is killing International Competition and the sooner they change the rule on Origin players having to put their hand up to play for Australia, the sooner we'll see Internationals become more competitive.

Steelers
04-10-05, 05:38 PM
The Australian Rep Side need to get serious about international competition for it to start working. Player's need to be ruled eligible for the growing nations and therefore cannot play for the Kangaroo's
EG.
Petero Civonicieva should play for FIJI
Willie Mason, Karmichael Hunt, Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll should be playing for NZ

I honestly believe the lure of State of Origin is what is killing International Competition and the sooner they change the rule on Origin players having to put their hand up to play for Australia, the sooner we'll see Internationals become more competitive.

Everyone wants it to happen, but the money hungry NRL executives don't care about Intl. League, because it doesn't bring in big bucks in quick time.

ridgey
04-10-05, 07:18 PM
Sorry mate, I know your not an idiot, your post just inspired me to create that list, sorry if you were offended.

By the way, calling you an idiot is hardly abuse, abuse is such an ugly word, it could be moderately upsetting depending on your social/cultural context. If you were deeply offended, Im sorry, either way I apologize.

DeeGan, on what are you implying by your post?

A. That I was not accepting of ridgey's comments
B. I do not accept your opinion?

I dont get it, my posts were opinionated, so whats the problem?

I still fail to understand what I did wrong. I posted a message, a forum member didnt agree with my thoughts, which I thought was rather ignorant, considering his knowledge of the International scene was rather basic. I just wanted to re-enforce my opinion that this idea is not needed.

I understand, idiot, was not appropriate in this forum, but please, elaborate on what I did wrong - excluding calling him an idiot.

well i actually play rugby league and have for nearly 20 years and i am fully aware of the state international league is in.now i've got to go and catch the second half of malta vs lebanon yours sincerely the IDIOT!

Steelers
04-10-05, 07:20 PM
well i actually play rugby league and have for nearly 20 years and i am fully aware of the state international league is in.now i've got to go and catch the second half of malta vs lebanon yours sincerely the IDIOT!

are they playing or is it a gee-up?

ridgey
04-10-05, 07:22 PM
you'd have to ask smerk whether they are playing she has all the international fixtures for the next 10 years somewhere!

Steelers
04-10-05, 07:24 PM
you'd have to ask smerk whether they are playing she has all the international fixtures for the next 10 years somewhere!
lol cause i was gonna say what channel :D

smerk
04-10-05, 11:24 PM

She? Im a guy! :cool:

Steelers
05-10-05, 08:24 AM
She? Im a guy! :cool:
lol he must have assumed because of the sig

ridgey
05-10-05, 03:51 PM
sorry i just assumed you we're female!

Dakink
05-10-05, 04:09 PM
Hehe

Join the club - it took old DeeGan a few days before he figured out with some gentle prodding that I was a male aswell.

smerk
05-10-05, 11:11 PM
sorry i just assumed you we're female!

Lol no harm done. Thats just a shot from the movie Closer in my sig.

Anyway. Later