PDA

View Full Version : The Eddie McGuire in Rugby League Thread

Queenslander
21-04-06, 01:03 PM
Souths want McGuire on board
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeyset
April 21, 2006

SOUTH Sydney majority owner Peter Holmes a Court last night revealed he and Russell Crowe were still trying to convince Channel Nine boss Eddie McGuire to join the Rabbitohs' new-look board when it takes over the club next month.

McGuire, who will hold talks with St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown today over Test centre Mark Gasnier, has been earmarked as a potential Rabbitohs director.

Holmes a Court said he and Crowe were hopeful that McGuire, who turned AFL club Collingwood into a premiership force, would play some part in Souths' future.

"We're still talking to him," Holmes a Court said. "It hasn't been ruled out. We have always said his involvement with Collingwood, as someone who knows how to get the very best (out of a club), is really helpful to us. I am hopeful he will be involved in some way, if not as a director."

The Rabbitohs yesterday confirmed May 31 as the date for the Crowe-Holmes a Court takeover to begin and announced the signing of Jason Taylor as one of their assistant coaches.

Taylor will join the club when his commitments with Parramatta have been completed.

In other news, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens has revealed he pulled aside Scott Prince for a pep talk in which he encouraged the former Queensland halfback to run the ball more.

Sheens' words seem to have helped after Prince took on the line nine times against Cronulla in the Tigers' 42-16 win last Sunday.

The Australian

Queenslander
21-04-06, 01:04 PM
Eddie urged to use lifeline
By Bret harris and John Lehmann
April 21, 2006

IT is a supreme irony that one of the AFL's most dominant figures, Eddie McGuire, is the man rugby league will today come to for support to keep one of its brightest stars, Mark Gasnier, in the game.

McGuire, the Collingwood president, is also the new chief executive of Channel Nine, the free-to-air channel which broadcasts rugby league.

St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown has initiated today's meeting at the Nine Network's Sydney headquarters in an attempt to convince McGuire to help the NRL team stop Gasnier switching to rugby union by offering a third-party arrangement which would come outside the NRL's salary cap, possibly in the form of an on-air role.

Brown is banking on McGuire coming to the party for Gasnier in the same way former Nine boss Kerry Packer did for Newcastle Knights star Andrew Johns when he considered crossing to rugby a couple of years ago.

Johns was regarded by many observers as a unique case because of his status as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players in the history of the game.

Gasnier is a very good player, but he is not in the Johns category.

Johns is also regarded as a natural personality who adapts easily to the pressure of being on-camera, while Gasnier is yet to convince Nine executives of his on-air talent.

So why would McGuire, with his AFL background, help a rugby league club by providing its star player with a TV deal to complement his playing contract?

Media analyst Steve Allen, of Fusion Strategy, believes there are several compelling reasons why McGuire might come to the rescue.

"In 2007, Nine will be left with rugby league when AFL goes - it is in their interests to keep that sport as big as possible," Allen said.

"Having stars is very important to any football code. A winning team with no stars is not good fodder for the media or the followers.

"Eddie will be conscious of the fact he is easily painted as a dyed-in-the-wool AFL supporter and, as the Sydney-based CEO of Channel Nine, he needs to make clear very quickly that he loves all sporting codes.

"I imagine it is a Nine characteristic that a favour owed is a favour done. Nine and Eddie McGuire have a track record in being quick to defend their own. They will work the corners for a friend of Nine and the NRL."

While Gasnier is not as complete a player as Johns, he carries an iconic league name.

Gasnier's uncle, Reg, is one of rugby league's Immortals, and regarded as the best centre to play the game.

Rugby league - and the game's supporters - will do everything possible to keep the name Gasnier in the game.

"Gasnier is a special name," Allen said. "I'm not a rugby league or rugby union supporter, but I know the name Gasnier, both Reg and Mark.

"I think Eddie McGuire and Nine will do this for a number of reasons. It's in their interests. They need players who drag supporters to their feet and I think Gasnier does that.

"When Rupert Murdoch set up his rugby league competition and when Kerry Packer started World Series Cricket, they went for stars who could stimulate passion. I think that's Gasnier's biggest calling card."

But Nine is under budget pressure, with its rival Seven stealing away viewers and advertisers over the past year.

The network has a stable of rugby league identities, apart from The Footy Show regulars such as Paul Vautin, Matthew Johns and Peter Sterling.

Brad Fittler works on the Today show, while Luke Ricketson is paid for regular appearances.

"It's one thing to be a star on the field, but you also have to be able to produce in the studio," one television executive said.

Another source said, "you have to pay your way to be at Nine nowadays".

Gasnier, who met Waratahs rugby officials this week, said last night he was "embarrassed" by the special attention to keep him in rugby league.

"I think as far as attention goes it gets far too much as it is and it's something I am embarrassed about and it's something out of my control," Gasnier told Seven News.

Meanwhile, the Waratahs want a decision from Gasnier by next Friday but it's believed he wants to wait until after the Kangaroos Test with New Zealand on May 5.

The Australian

Dakink
21-04-06, 01:06 PM
Despite being an AFL man through and through Eddi has no choice.

League is the flagship of Channel 9 - especially now that their ratings are taking a serious dive. He will need to ensure that not only 9 does it well and promotes it, but that the shareholders work too. I can see a conflict of interest having the Head of 9 on a clubs board - but personally I think it would be good for the Bunnies. I would love to see the Bunnies become succesfull again and get 20k + crowds regularly.