PDA

View Full Version : Qld expects Origin support in Melbourne

Queenslander
20-04-06, 12:13 PM
Qld expects Origin support in Melbourne
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:39 PM

First-year Queensland coach Mal Meninga expects his team to enjoy the majority crowd support for the third State of Origin match this year with five Melbourne Storm players in Maroons contention for the Telstra Dome clash.

Queensland has already been boosted by the Australian Rugby League's decision to play the potential series decider in Melbourne, rather than at Sydney's Telstra Stadium.

"The Storm players who are in contention are pretty exciting players to watch," Meninga said at the official launch of the July 5 game.

"Unfortunately Billy Slater won't be available (at least for Origin I while he serves a seven-week suspension), but people like Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Michael Crocker are playing good footy, as is Dallas Johnson."

Inglis moved further into the Origin frame with three tries for Melbourne in Saturday' 40-14 thumping of Penrith.

But after the match, Storm coach Craig Bellamy cautioned that the exciting 19-year-old might still be too young for Origin football.

It will be the first time Origin football has been played in Melbourne since three matches at the MCG in the mid-1990s.

"From my point of view, that's a bonus for us, that we aren't going to have to go to Sydney to play two games," added Meninga.

"We're here on neutral territory and I dare say, having played here before, that many people will be supporting Queensland with that Victoria-New South Wales rivalry coming to the fore as well."

Utility back Matt King is the only Storm player likely to be named in the Blues lineup.

"I think most of the fans would lean towards Queensland," said King, who was one of the big success stories on debut for New South Wales last year.

"Billy Slater is the biggest thing in rugby league in Melbourne, then you've got Cam Smith, Mick Crocker and Greg Inglis and Dallas Johnson.

"If the public had to back someone, on sheer weight of numbers they'd go for Queensland."

National Rugby League CEO David Gallop said that the decision to play Origin III in Melbourne was part of a concerted campaign to build the game in the AFL-obsessed city.

"Obviously we want to see a big crowd," he said.

" ... we've got a massive new investment in junior development, we've got the Victorian government's commitment to build a new stadium and we've got a commitment to bring big games down here.

"So I think for the first time we're seeing a concerted effort to carve out a niche for rugby league in a pretty tough market."

The ARL has plans to play a Tri Nations Test match in Melbourne later this year and a World Cup game in 2008.

It would also like to schedule another State of Origin match in Melbourne in 2009 or 2010.

Source: AAP

Dakink
20-04-06, 12:19 PM
QLD need al the help you can get, otherwise you wont be seeing the SOO trophy for a loong time. How long's it been now ;-)

..::Coops::..
20-04-06, 05:04 PM
QLD need al the help you can get, otherwise you wont be seeing the SOO trophy for a loong time. How long's it been now ;-)

not as long as the wait for a priemership for dragons supports:p

Dakink
20-04-06, 06:06 PM
not as long as the wait for a priemership for dragons supports:p

True its been awhile - but we have won out share!

Dragons
20-04-06, 06:46 PM
True its been awhile - but we have won out share!

We have been in five since our last win in 1979 ( God that along time ago)
It must of been that peanut I choked on in '84 that it curse has been having an effect on the team......cough...cough....cough..aghhh.. spat it out now, we are ready to rock and roll.....Let go Dragons let go :thumbsup:

Eel 33
21-04-06, 10:18 AM
My father jokingly believes that I am the reason why the dragons haven't won the comp. I was born in 79. True 27 years is a very long time. Parra aren't far behind, 20 years is long enough. :topic: