PDA

View Full Version : Sattler to Webb: Remember the Titans

DeeGan
12-04-06, 11:29 AM
Sattler to Webb: Remember the Titans

If there was one forward that I love watching when fit and in form, it is North Queensland firebrand Carl Webb. I will forever remember his impact on Origin 1 in 2005 and I hope he rediscovers that some form before Origin in 2006.

In this week's edition of the RLW Titans Football manager Scott Sattler sounded out Carl Webb as a possible signing after the June 30 anti tampering deadline.

"We have spoken about him and he is the type of player we would love to get on board," Sattler says.

"He won't come cheap and we will have to do our sums before deciding whether to made a definite bid on him, if he doesn't resign before June 30.

"But we are still looking for a prop or second rower who make an impact, so he certainly fits that bill."

Tony Adams (RLW journo) hints that the signing of Billy Johnstone "may reap a bonus for the Titans - the signing of Carl Webb" given both are mates in which Webb credits the legendary trainer as the man who got his career back on track.

I sighted the above fact some time ago when discussing the possible signing of Carl Webb - I think we are a big chance of getting big Carl after June 30. Tthe depth in the front row up North Queensland way (Tronc, Scott, Seargent) might swing in our favour as well as Webb would give them some more cap space to sign Thurston to a multi-year million dollar deal.

Imagine a front row of Luke Bailey and Carl Webb running on in our debut game against the Brisbane Broncos :D

Dakink
12-04-06, 11:43 AM
I like how Carty when asked to nominate one player you are looking forward to coaching, he replied with Bailey. Imagine the complete Prop up with one of the most damagin props. I couldnt think of a better front row combo!

DIEHARD
12-04-06, 11:56 AM
I think the Cowboys would be mad to let him go. But he would be a perfect signing for the Titans and he is also one of my favourite players. How could he not be with his talent and spirit.

Maybe having Billy at the Titans will help us.

If we get Webb, I could fully convert my friend GOATUS to the Titans. He is already looking at buying a jersey!

Coaster
12-04-06, 04:26 PM
Lets just hope if we do get him, that he doesnt forget where he is for a moment and smash Bailey again :rotflmao:

Steve Dangerous
12-04-06, 05:04 PM
yeah he often credits billy for getting his career moving in a big way, so that definately works in our favour. cowboys have plenty of depth in the forward pack, so could perhaps afford to let him go. might depend on the salary cap.

DIEHARD
12-04-06, 05:23 PM
Lets just hope if we do get him, that he doesnt forget where he is for a moment and smash Bailey again :rotflmao:

Haha good call.

The Original Idiot
13-04-06, 09:31 AM
I heard somewhere that the Cowboys want Josh Perry in their pack, which might squeeze Webb out. (sorry, no source.)

DeeGan
13-04-06, 10:16 AM
I heard somewhere that the Cowboys want Josh Perry in their pack, which might squeeze Webb out. (sorry, no source.)

There was speculation that Perry would go to the Cowboys to replace Rauhihi. Perry stuck with the Knights and some sort of performance based contract and all things considered, I think he will sign long term after the form he has shown in 2006.

Dakink
13-04-06, 10:17 AM
They woud be silly too let him go, they will lose Smith soon, that will free up room to upgrade Perry's contract. Plus playing with Smith will have taught Perry alot about how to lead a pack.

Eel 33
18-04-06, 02:25 PM
I can hear "salary cap" being mentioned. I hope too much money hasnt been spent on the already signed players. Webb would be an awesome signing though.

GT_Titan
20-04-06, 08:28 AM
Cowboys' big play as Webb stays put
Stuart Honeysett
April 20, 2006
The Australian

NORTH QUEENSLAND could be running roughshod over other teams for many years to come after Carl Webb became the latest Cowboy to pledge his allegiance to the club.

The damaging 25-year-old Queensland forward yesterday re-signed with the outright competition leader until the end of 2008.

Webb joins injured winger Ty Williams in shoring up his future with the Townsville-based club before the game's anti-tampering deadlines expire on June 30.

The Cowboys, who are four points clear of the pack on the NRL ladder, now have to only re-sign Matt Sing, Paul Bowman and Josh Hannay this year to keep their first grade squad intact for 2007 with the exception of captain Travis Norton.

Even more important is the fact the club is poised to begin talks with Dally medallist and the game's in-form player Johnathan Thurston despite the half not being off contract until the end of next season.

"It's always a balancing act but our goal is to try and keep the squad together as long as we can and we'll continue to pursue that over the coming weeks," Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said.

"Obviously it's becoming harder and harder because they're not on the same money they were when they first got here, or they were when some of these younger blokes first got out of school.

"But I think the fact over the last couple of years we've proven what a consistent footy team we are that, while money is a huge factor in any decision they make, most players simply like to play with other good players and a team they think can play finals football."

Parr's retention challenge has been made a little easier after Norton announced this year this season would be his last.

However, the Cowboys boss scuttled suggestions that Hannay could be released early or not re-signed given he has been in and out of first grade.

"He won't be given permission to talk to other clubs," Parr said. "It hasn't been asked for but if it was it wouldn't be given anyway.

"Nobody here has put a line through Josh Hannay, let me assure you of that.

"He's still very much a required player and he's still someone in our thoughts.

"Things might not be going his way at the moment but they can turn around very quickly in this game."

Webb joined the Cowboys from Brisbane at the end of 2004 and he conceded a decision about his future had been difficult - especially given he would attract plenty of interest on the open market.

The Gold Coast Titans, who will join the competition next year, would have been one club particularly keen on Mount Isa-born Webb given they have already recruited strongly for 2007 in Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Brian Carney.

"I have to be honest - it is tempting and I had to weigh up all my options," Webb said.

"At the end of the day I felt this was the better option and better for my football also."

Parr said he was concerned about the club's chances of retaining Webb if he had elected to test his value on the open market.

"I think if he went on the open market there would be plenty of other clubs besides the Gold Coast who would look at him," Parr said.

Webb is still finding his feet in first grade after having to start off the year with the Young Guns in the Queensland Cup following off-season surgery for a groin problem.

He said his decision had been made easier because he had enjoyed his time both on and off the field since joining the club two years ago.

"We're getting a lot more interest now and I know I wanted to stay on - my heart was here - and hopefully a lot of the other guys want to stay on also," Webb said.

"They realise also we've got a special group of guys and the way we're going too is very encouraging so hopefully we can all stay together."

Webb has been touted as a possible bolter for the Kangaroos in next month's Anzac Test against New Zealand - his natural aggression would be a welcome asset against the Kiwis - but he said an Australian jumper might be too early for him.

"Personally, no I don't think so," Webb said when asked if he had done enough to be selected for the Test.

Dakink
20-04-06, 08:29 AM
The Cowboys are turning into one of those clubs that players want to stay at. They will accept less to play there, good on em I reckon - they bring a lot to the league!

GT_Titan
20-04-06, 08:30 AM
oh well...would have been great to see big Webb in a Titans jersey. At least we'll have a few more $$$$ to spend on someone else, as I don't think he would of come cheap.

GT_Titan
20-04-06, 08:36 AM
The Cowboys are turning into one of those clubs that players want to stay at. They will accept less to play there, good on em I reckon - they bring a lot to the league!

It's great to see the cowboys in this position. Would never have thought it would happen over 5 years ago. Hopefully the Titans will be in the same situation oneday, and not like the old days (where we lost all our young uprising players to the more fancied clubs) :thumbsup:

patskE
20-04-06, 10:48 AM
stuff webb, go for scott!