PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos look to retain stars

Queenslander
11-04-06, 06:30 PM
Broncos look to retain stars
April 11, 2006

BRISBANE chief executive Bruno Cullen will attempt to re-assure injured hooker Michael Ennis his future is secure by offering him an extended contract this week.

Ennis was a shattered man at the weekend after tearing his posterior cruciate ligament against South Sydney.

Cullen plans to hold talks with several player managers in Sydney this week, including Ennis' manager about extending his player's current contract by a few more years.

"We just want to let Michael know his injury is not going to damage his chances of playing more football for the Broncos," said Cullen.

"I'll be talking to his manager this week and reassuring him this injury doesn't change anything.

"If we can discuss extending his deal, the earlier the better."

Cullen hopes to have talks with the managers of fullback Karmichael Hunt, injured teenage winger Steve Michaels, wingers Darius Boyd and Leon Bott and impressive young prop Ben Hannant while he is in Sydney for Good Friday's clash with the Roosters.

Hunt, Michaels, Boyd, Bott and Hannant are off contract and need to be re-signed before the NRL's June 30 anti-tampering deadline expires.

Ennis signed a two-year deal with Brisbane when he left St George Illawarra.

But he tore his posterior cruciate in the first half against South Sydney at the weekend and it is unlikely he will play again this season.

Cullen said it was important Ennis knew the club was totally supportive of him as he went through the recovery process.

"Mick was a shattered man on Saturday night and very emotional," said Cullen.

"But he's more positive now.

"He's talking about doing some extra studies and finishing a course he's doing and hopefully getting some media work which he eventually wants to get into when he retires.

"He's mature enough to deal with it.

"He turned up at our recovery session on Sunday morning which was fantastic.

"It would have been tough showing up knowing his teammates were going to be mucking around and looking forward to the next game when he won't be part of it again this season."

AAP

Eel 33
12-04-06, 07:45 AM
Ennis is the best thing at hooker for the Broncos in a very long time. Well done to Bruno to assure him that he will be at the Broncos next year.

HodgoBerro
12-04-06, 09:10 AM
hookers are not our speciality at the broncos - we're pretty much jinxed in that area

i thought he was on a 2 year deal - coz i'm sure he said he was.

Queenslander
12-04-06, 09:12 AM
hookers are not our speciality at the broncos - we're pretty much jinxed in that area

i thought he was on a 2 year deal - coz i'm sure he said he was.

He is ;) if you read the article :p you would see "Ennis signed a two-year deal with Brisbane when he left St George Illawarra."

So Cullen is basically ensuring Ennis that he has a long-term future with the Broncos :D