PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos team changes

Queenslander
11-04-06, 09:40 AM
Positions vacant
Steve Ricketts

April 11, 2006

HALFBACK Brett Seymour could be a casualty of a team revamp after the Broncos admitted they were struggling to cover for the loss of injured hooker Michael Ennis.

Seymour's confidence and form are down and the 21-year-old faces the axe for the round 6 NRL clash with the Sydney Roosters at Aussie Stadium on Friday night, when Test star Brent Tate is set to return in the centres for Brisbane.

Tate's comeback following ankle surgery could see current centre Shaun Berrigan switched to hooker as the Broncos look for the solution to the loss of topline hookers Ennis (knee) and Barry Berrigan for the season, with Berrigan forced into retirement because of a neck injury.

Dual registered Redcliffe halfback Shane Perry could get another chance in the No. 7 jumper after he started for the Broncos against the North Queensland Cowboys in round 1.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said yesterday the club was "a bit poor" in the halfback and hooker spots, something that had been the subject of a coaching staff meeting when Barry Berrigan (Shaun's older brother) retired three weeks ago.

Cullen said the club would look to rebuild from within but he would not rule out looking for fresh talent.

"When Barry retired it opened the door for Michael to be hooker for the year and the last thing you think of is the injury he suffered," Cullen said. "But at the time we talked about the halfbacks and hookers at the club because we thought we were a bit vulnerable in that area.

"If Buster (Seymour) is not the halfback, who is? We looked at Casey McGuire and now that we haven't got any hookers Casey is an option at hooker and maybe we don't have that back-up halfback any more.

"We are a bit poor in the halfback and hooker spots just at the moment. Brett is not playing with much confidence at all."

Seymour was replaced by coach Wayne Bennett in the 70th minute of last Saturday's 30-12 win over Souths, a sure sign he is out of favour.

Cullen revealed he had implored Seymour to "keep his head up".

"I said to him 'it's a confidence thing and if it comes it will just come overnight' but if he gets down on himself you just don't get out of that rut, do you?" Cullen said.

Former Australian Schoolboys star Ben Green is halfback for Broncos feeder team Toowoomba, where Ian Lacey and Nathan Strudwick have been sharing the hooking role.

Cullen said yesterday Strudwick, the son of former World Cup halfback Ross Strudwick, had impressed everyone on and off the field.

"But the consensus is it's a little before his time," Cullen said.

Shaun Berrigan, McGuire, Perry and even skipper/five-eighth Darren Lockyer trained at dummy half yesterday as Bennett "auditioned" candidates for the most vital role in the side.

Redcliffe hooker Mick Roberts was mentioned as a possible candidate on ABC radio on Sunday but Dolphins coach Anthony Griffin said the Broncos had not asked for his services.

"I'm not expecting to have Shane Perry next Saturday when we play Norths but I think Mick will be here," Griffin said.

Tate trained strongly at left centre, the spot Shaun Berrigan has held.

"I pulled up well and if I complete the other two sessions this week I'll be playing on Friday," Tate said.

The Courier Mail