PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis bid to have Hunt play

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 04:30 PM
New Zealand coach Brian McClennan has raised the prospect of selecting a halfback from reserve grade for the Anzac Test if Karmichael Hunt cannot be tempted to play.

McClennan, who led New Zealand to a Tri-Nations victory last year, yesterday hinted selectors could pit an untried rookie against Andrew Johns following Benji Marshall's potentially season-ending shoulder injury.

The Wests Tigers playmaker will undergo scans today but officials have already ruled the 21-year-old out for a minimum of eight weeks, meaning he will not be available for the Test against the Kangaroos on May 5.

McClennan was ready to use Marshall as a stop-gap halfback in place of the injured Stacey Jones (broken arm) at Suncorp Stadium next month.

However, that plan was scuppered at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Friday night, when Marshall dislocated his shoulder attempting to tackle North Queensland's Gavin Cooper.

With Marshall unavailable, New Zealand is ready to step up attempts to convince the Broncos' Hunt to play for his country of birth.

Hunt indicated after his side's win over South Sydney on Saturday night that he would make a decision on his international allegiance this week.

If he maintains his stance of wanting to play State of Origin, McClennan said selectors may consider Parramatta lower-grade player Jeremy Smith or the Bulldogs' Billy Ngawini.

Both played for New Zealand A last year. His other options are to bring Thomas Leuluai back from England, select Lance Hohaia, playing in the domestic competition in New Zealand, or use Parramatta utility Marcus Perenara.

"There's no-one playing NRL first grade and there's one (Leuluai) playing in the Super League," McClennan said.

"Other than that there's a couple of blokes playing premier league and Lance Hohaia playing Bartercard Cup.

"I'm devastated for (Benji). It's a cruel twist of fate. I know Benji was very, very keen to be involved in the Test."

New Zealand has a record of pulling players from reserve grade to play against Australia, although it's been some time since it was successful.

Five-eighth Olsen Filipaina terrorised Wally Lewis in 1985 despite struggling to play reserve grade for Eastern Suburbs.

"Things will come up," McClennan said. "We're forever optimistic."

Marshall was a forlorn figure on Friday night and his absence, for two months at least, has placed a significant caveat on the Tigers' title defence.

Coach Tim Sheens will consider several options this week, including recalling Ben Reynolds, which could result in Scott Prince playing five-eighth. Sheens also has the left-field option of pushing Brett Hodgson to halfback, the position he played when he made his first-grade debut with Wests nine years ago.

The Broncos are resigned to losing hooker Michael Ennis for the rest of the season with anterior cruciate ligament damage to his left knee.

The Roosters will reshuffle three starting positions at least following Saturday night's 28-24 away win against Cronulla.

Centre Ryan Cross strained ankle ligaments and is out for four to six weeks, while second-rower Shane Shackleton dislocated his left shoulder and is looking at a month on the sidelines.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18763469-2722,00.html

qld power
10-04-06, 04:33 PM
thank god one more week and the twit will decide what he wants to do

Steelers
10-04-06, 04:36 PM
Ouch... NZ don't exactly have much depth in the halfback role do they.

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 04:37 PM
Ah well, it isn't like QLD had in the past either.

They'll be right...

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 04:38 PM
NZ facing halves hardship for Anzac Test

New Zealand rugby league coach Brian McClennan may have to pluck a halfback out of reserve grade to play in the Anzac Test against Australia.

With Stacey Jones out with a broken arm and Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall a dislocated shoulder, McClennan is hoping Brisbane fullback Karmichael Hunt decides to pledge allegiance to the New Zealanders to sure up the troubled halves area.

"We're facing a bit of a difficult one here," McClennan said.

"There's no one playing halfback that's eligible for the Test match in the NRL at the moment."

Cronulla centre Nigel Vagana is tipped to be slotted into five-eighth but Marshall's loss leaves another hole in the backline.

Utility Lance Hohaia would be a walk up start but he is out of form and playing lower grade football for the New Zealand Warriors.

Fringe or NRL reserve grade options include Parramatta utility Marcus Perenara, reserve halfback Jeremy Smith and Bulldogs utility Billy Ngawini.

Former Warrior and Test player Thomas Leuluai, currently playing with London Broncos in the English Super League, could come into contention.

But McClennan has ruled out switching fullback Brent Webb to halfback.

"We're looking for people that have got a general kicking game and whether they're six, seven or nine (hooker) doesn't matter, somebody that's got a good long kicking game," said McClennan.

"Who's in the world playing fullback that could take over the fullback spot if he (Webb) comes up (to halfback) - there's no fullbacks that are Kiwis.

"There's not one in the NRL. There's actually not one in Great Britain in the Super League either."

Given the loss of Marshall to his fifth shoulder injury and young gun Sonny Bill Williams' stay on casualty list, McClennan has cautiously backed an idea by former NSW coach Phil Gould for players to be kept out of the first grade until they are 21-years-old.

Gould, who played 99 first grade games after debuting at the age of 18, had said the NRL should create an under-20 competition to prevent exposing youngsters to the rigours of top level football too early and reduce the early burn out rate of players.

McLennan said the idea of keeping players back until they were older was worth thinking about.

"That's an interesting concept. It's whether the clubs could afford to do that, financial-wise," he told NZPA.

"Phil's known for being a deep analytical thinker and he can think outside the square.

"I think there's a fair bit of merit to it."

Source: AAP

Steelers
10-04-06, 04:41 PM
Given the loss of Marshall to his fifth shoulder injury and young gun Sonny Bill Williams' stay on casualty list, McClennan has cautiously backed an idea by former NSW coach Phil Gould for players to be kept out of the first grade until they are 21-years-old.

Gould, who played 99 first grade games after debuting at the age of 18, had said the NRL should create an under-20 competition to prevent exposing youngsters to the rigours of top level football too early and reduce the early burn out rate of players.

McLennan said the idea of keeping players back until they were older was worth thinking about.

"That's an interesting concept. It's whether the clubs could afford to do that, financial-wise," he told NZPA.

"Phil's known for being a deep analytical thinker and he can think outside the square.

"I think there's a fair bit of merit to it."

Source: AAP

I heard Gould talking about that on the Sunday Footy Show... and I really like the sound of it.

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 04:43 PM
I absolutely hate the idea. It would destroy the Queensland Cup.

Dakink
10-04-06, 04:59 PM
Yea I dont think it is necessary. They already have a decent structure for juniors in place, and by that age they are either ready for PL or not far off it.

Steelers
10-04-06, 05:01 PM
Maybe create a rule where you aren't allowed to play first grade until a certain age?

Titanium_BD1103
10-04-06, 06:44 PM
Ummm ok... Interesting... ;)

Nah... the only thing I really have to say about this is that the Australian Reporter and the NZRL must be desparate if they are thinking of picking Billy Ngawini. Billy the Kid is currently out of our PL side with a broken ankle.

He will be back in time for the Anzac Test, but he will have no match fitness and confidence will be down, unless our PL side can stop getting thrashed by 50 points every game... :)

Go_The_Doggies
10-04-06, 07:23 PM
I had a feeling Billy was injured.

id rather have a bartercard player then khunt in the kiwis team...im sorry but thats how i feel!