PDA

View Full Version : Titans V's Sharks (Southport)

Kingytek
07-04-06, 01:23 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18738660-23211,00.html
Sharks keen to go solo
By Jon Pierik
April 7, 2006

SOUTHPORT Sharks Football Club prefers to begin as a new stand-alone AFL entity on the Gold Coast, but is ready to embrace a relocated Victorian team.

Sharks boss Paul Wyatt, who is spearheading the cashed-up club's quest for an AFL licence, wants a team based in South-East Queensland as soon as possible.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has said he wants a club based there or in the western suburbs of Sydney within the next decade, but Wyatt has warned of the dangers of waiting too long.

"If it's 10 years, they might find the horse has bolted," Wyatt said.

"We want it in the shortest possible time. It's an area that has the growth and development to host a national licence.

"In 10 years, a lot can happen in the development of a rival code's position in any area in Australia."

Momentum is building for the Kangaroos to shift north.

Wyatt said he hadn't spoken to the Roos recently but, if the club made the move, the Sharks would look after its Melbourne members and protect its history.

He said the 1996 merger between Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Lions would be the ideal model to follow.

Advertisement:
The Sharks are also offering the Kangaroos at least $400,000 a game to play home matches at Carrara from next year and end their experiment with Canberra's Manuka Oval.

The AFL is keen to have six to eight matches at Carrara from next year.

The Sharks have underwritten five AFL games at Carrara this season for $1.2 million, including two home-and-away matches, starting next week when Melbourne plays Adelaide.

While happy to embrace a Melbourne club, Wyatt said the preferred option was for the creation of a new club to be known as the Southport Sharks.

"It would be a much cleaner approach from our point of view, even though in that consideration a time frame would be needed (to set the club up), like the licences in the past."

The Sharks have applied for an AFL licence since 1996, with Wyatt revealing he had approached half a dozen clubs about a possible merger.

"In the early days there was interest," he said.

"But a relocation has been viewed as a last resort, especially in the emotional area."

A new rugby league club, the Gold Coast Titans, will join the NRL competition next year, but Wyatt said AFL was the preferred code in the area.

Preferred???? Says FREAKIN who?
Wyatt has just made this personal.... What a stupid thing to say GC preferred AFL over NRL

The Original Idiot
07-04-06, 03:26 PM
GayFL will make up whatever they want to impress the media. I wonder if Mr Wyatt remembers the crowd AFL got at Carrara this year compared to NRL at carrara this year. But 400 grand a game? If only we had access to that kind of money!

[BroncosGirl]
07-04-06, 03:31 PM
Eeeww another afl team in qld, no thanks :p! I don't think alf is preffered in the GC, only because they've had previous RL teams and not alf teams.

Titan John
07-04-06, 06:08 PM
Mr. Wyatt - zero credibility and quite typical of the AFL psyche.

It's too late for them now, they missed the boat and they'll pay for it.

Queenslander
07-04-06, 09:08 PM
I wonder if Mr Wyatt remembers the crowd AFL got at Carrara this year compared to NRL at carrara this year.

Im not defending AFL here but.....the AFL game (Lions vs whoever ;) ) had a higher attendance than the Warriors vs Bulldgos game earlier this year :fyi:

EDIT: Just found the figures:

NRL trial got only 12,130 compared to the AFL's 13,269

Not a huge difference but still a "victory" for the aerial ping ponger's

TITAN PETE
07-04-06, 09:24 PM
Preffered code maybe he's thinking of another GoldCoast :!: Has this bloke even been here & Can someone please tell the Stillbournian that we speak english here as well .

Titan John
07-04-06, 09:24 PM
Im not defending AFL here but.....the AFL game (Lions vs whoever ;) ) had a higher attendance than the Warriors vs Bulldgos game earlier this year :fyi:

EDIT: Just found the figures:

NRL trial got only 12,130 compared to the AFL's 13,269

Not a huge difference but still a "victory" for the aerial ping ponger's

That's got to be one of the smallest NRL trial crowds on the coast in recent times.

Not too bad considering Cararra was acting as a nuetral venue for the NRL trial, whereas the local club was hosting the AFL game.

There were other games held there by the AFL this year which drew as low as 6,000 though, not involving the Lions.

Roolander
08-04-06, 10:53 AM
I would say its close to 50-50 on the coast , in the coming years there will be more support for AFL , its just logical from the masses that come up here from Melbourne.

Budda
08-04-06, 11:18 AM
Hi,

Just thought I'd mention when Cowboys played Doggies last year at Carrara they had 21,000 attendance. I was at both games. The Last game there lacked atmosphere. Just shows people will go to watch good teams they can back... Who want's to back the Kiwi's.... Let alone the Dogs.

:laugh:Budda

Steelers
08-04-06, 11:32 AM
Yeah with those crowd attendance figures... the AFL game had a 'home' team (Lions) whereas the NRL game had 2 away teams.

Brycey
09-04-06, 06:47 AM
top 25 Shows of 2005 in SE QLD

1 NRL GF 778,490
2 SOO Game 1 726,125
3 SOO Game 2 651,566
4 SOO Game 3 592,639
5 NRL GF Entertainment 570,584
6 NRL Prelin final 2 444,758
7 Lost: The Finale 406,490
8 NRL GF presentation 399,783
9 Big Brother: Winner 399,414
10 2005 Riverfire;Fireworks 389,465
11Desperate Housewives 383,745
13 Soccer WC Qualifier 379,135
14 Desperate housewives 365,526
15 Lost 358,405
16 Eveybody loves Raymond Final 355,519
17 NRL Semi-Final 2 354,921
18 Big Brother Intruders 352,999
19 50 years of 50 Shows 348,581
20 CSI Crime 346,040
21 Dancing with the stars GF 343,220
22 AFL GF 341,282
23 Desperate Housewives Finale 338,655
24 Big Brother 336,547
25 Happy Days 30th anniversary 333,336

Dakink
09-04-06, 07:14 AM
top 25 Shows of 2005 in SE QLD

1 NRL GF 778,490
2 SOO Game 1 726,125
3 SOO Game 2 651,566
4 SOO Game 3 592,639
5 NRL GF Entertainment 570,584
6 NRL Prelin final 2 444,758
7 Lost: The Finale 406,490
8 NRL GF presentation 399,783
9 Big Brother: Winner 399,414
10 2005 Riverfire;Fireworks 389,465
11Desperate Housewives 383,745
13 Soccer WC Qualifier 379,135
14 Desperate housewives 365,526
15 Lost 358,405
16 Eveybody loves Raymond Final 355,519
17 NRL Semi-Final 2 354,921
18 Big Brother Intruders 352,999
19 50 years of 50 Shows 348,581
20 CSI Crime 346,040
21 Dancing with the stars GF 343,220
22 AFL GF 341,282
23 Desperate Housewives Finale 338,655
24 Big Brother 336,547
25 Happy Days 30th anniversary 333,336

Well that pretty much sums up what people were watching...

The Original Idiot
09-04-06, 02:35 PM
The WC qualifier was only no. 13? Well, the real thing will be right at the top for this year's ratings.

DIEHARD
09-04-06, 02:52 PM
The WC qualifier was only no. 13? Well, the real thing will be right at the top for this year's ratings.

It may depend on what time it is played. It'll rate HUGE either way though.

Queenslander
09-04-06, 02:55 PM
And the AFL GF rated alright considering it didnt contain the Brisbane Lions; If the Lions did make the final im sure the above figures would be different. Ratings are a poor way to determine popularity; they can be easily mis-judged.

DIEHARD
09-04-06, 03:06 PM
Last year's NRL Grand final ratings in Melbourne.

In Melbourne, an average of 514,000 tuned into the NRL final, well above last year's 389,000.

Queenslander
09-04-06, 03:22 PM
Last year's NRL Grand final ratings in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by THE AGE
In Melbourne, an average of 514,000 tuned into the NRL final, well above last year's 389,000.

Thats a good sign, however its interesting to compare that with the decreasing average crowd figures for the Storm. Statisitcs are a double edge sword ;) You could have one set of figures saying that something is popular when you have another set saying they are not. :)

DIEHARD
09-04-06, 03:36 PM
We all know the real reasons due to the Storms crowds.

If the Swans or Lions played in an antiqued stadium from the 1950s and receive no FTA coverage. How many would they average?

OPII will offer a more level playing field.

Dragons
09-04-06, 07:04 PM
I would say its close to 50-50 on the coast , in the coming years there will be more support for AFL , its just logical from the masses that come up here from Melbourne.
Hi Roolander :hi: So many states play AFL that we will always have more supporters for that other code who move up here, (but they are just not from Melbourne)
I wish they would all start to follow the league( they all do at state of origin time and jump on the Queensland bandwagon )
12 to 14 Years ago I had big arguments with old Wally Frankenhauser from the Southport Sharks when they open there new club house about watching the league. (this is a AFL club and we dont watch that other game), but it Queensland I said. The Gold Coast has grown because of all the interstaters so I just persume that the AFL will grow here quicker then the league (I hope not)
ps got to remember to stop writing long post (short and quick does the trick)
cheers :beer:

DIEHARD
09-04-06, 07:21 PM
I don't believe it's 50/50 I believe league dominates. But aside from that...

The rugby league fans were ready for their own team.

AFL fans already have their own chosen teams from before they migrated north and even the Lions have a small GC based membership. I don't think SEQLD can support another AwFuL team and I believe it will cut into the Lions.

I thought it was funny with an AFL person in the paper saying they need to bring in a GC team to "cut rugby league off at the pass." :laugh: :laugh:

Cut us off at the pass? We have already been accepted into the NRL, we have our name, our jersey, our stadiums.

We have already reached the pass and we have fortified it and our guns are set and sighted. Now we just wait for AFL to come along the pass.

What an idiot. :laugh:

Eel 33
10-04-06, 11:20 AM
We all know the real reasons due to the Storms crowds.

If the Swans or Lions played in an antiqued stadium from the 1950s and receive no FTA coverage. How many would they average?

OPII will offer a more level playing field.

Get the Gold Coast City Council on side now. They own Cararra, make the new GayFL team play out of there for the first 10 years the way the stadium is now. Ban all new stadia development on the Coast for that period and see how long they last. I may be at the mexicans level, but they will then see what they've been doing to he Storm for all these years, cheap and nasty tactics. Very quick to jump on their bandwagon when they won the comp, then deserted them a year later. Scum.

Queenslander
10-04-06, 11:26 AM
The Gold Coast should really be getting behind the AFL. I dont understand why people wouldn't want more professional footy codes being played out of your backyard!

The Original Idiot
10-04-06, 11:40 AM
^ Didn't you say you weren't defending GayFL?

Queenslander
10-04-06, 11:45 AM
^ Didn't you say you weren't defending GayFL?

:noidea: Im not, the Rugby League community should not be afraid of a AFL team at the Gold Coast. The only thing it will do is erode the supporter base of the Brisbane Lions that is all. Im all for more professional sports being played out of the Gold Coast; be that AFL, Union, Soccer/Football, Tennis, Badmington, Lawn Bowls ;) etc etc.

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 02:32 PM
The Gold Coast should really be getting behind the AFL. I dont understand why people wouldn't want more professional footy codes being played out of your backyard!

Because AFL want to dominate and not peacefully co-exist. They want our territory and then want to rub our face in it.

What do we want?

Storm games, finals, Origins and Test Matchs on FTA and 15,000 averages. And a decent stadium.

Queenslander
12-04-06, 12:51 PM
Sharks bank on relocation
Andrew Hamilton

April 12, 2006

THE Southport Sharks emerged from yesterday's meeting with the Kangaroos convinced that the number of AFL games played at Carrara was set to increase and there would soon be a team permanently based there.

Sharks president Dr Alan MacKenzie said it was inevitable that the Gold Coast would be home to an AFL team.

"It'll happen, it's just a matter of time," MacKenzie said.

"I don't think there's any doubt an existing club will relocate or the AFL will eventually issue a new licence."

MacKenzie, a former club doctor for the Brisbane Bears, said the Sharks had already received interest from the region's corporate community in supporting a Gold Coast team and a relocation could guarantee a struggling Victorian club's survival through increased memberships.

The Sharks met with Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff, CEO Geoff Walsh and Gold Coast-based director John Nicholson yesterday.

The Sharks are trying to entice the Kangaroos to play some home games at Carrara next year.

"It was a successful first meeting. They are interested in playing some games on the Coast next year," Mackenzie said. "All parties are thinking along the same lines.

"We need further discussions with the Gold Coast City Council and the AFL to discuss where we go from here."

The Kangaroos are still in talks with the ACT Government about extending their commitment to playing games at Manuka Oval.

This is the final year of a deal in which the Kangaroos play three "home" games a season in Canberra under a contract with the ACT Government.

The government is planning to use high-profile Canberra sports people and other local personalities as part of its efforts to get the community to boost its support for the Kangaroos.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope this week launched a campaign aimed at convincing the Kangaroos to continue playing games in the national capital.

The Sharks' bid to entice clubs to play home games at Carrara is designed to keep AFL in the region until the master plan to have a team permanently based on the Gold Coast comes to fruition.

A previous Sharks offer to buy a controlling share of the Kangaroos was knocked back during the reign of former Kangaroos president Allen Aylett.

MacKenzie, a former AFLQ commissioner, said a takeover of the Kangaroos did not feature at yesterday's meeting but the Sharks were still interested in the plan.

He said the football club had the financial backing of the social club to make a success of any takeover or merger.

"If there's an expression of interest from any club we are in a position to move with it and we believe the Gold Coast Council will be supportive of it," he said.

The Courier Mail

mb63
12-04-06, 04:47 PM
Whilst there is good support for both codes the AFL were caught with their pants down with the NRL & Titans launch.The AFL will play 2nd fiddle to League on the Gold Coast.The AFL has neglected the Gold Coast for many years & its only now with the Titans they again have a strong interest.

DIEHARD
12-04-06, 05:22 PM
Good to have them in damage control for a change.

Good work NRL and Titans.

Steve Dangerous
16-04-06, 05:38 PM
only 8,258 there this weekend for demons v crows. and that's for an actual AFL game, not a trial. hmm.

Kingytek
16-04-06, 07:23 PM
hahaha, sucks to be AFL

The Original Idiot
17-04-06, 10:19 AM
Did we get more at the Dogs-Kiwis game?

lonegull
17-04-06, 10:36 AM
only 7000 for an :curse: afl game the titans will get double that

Kingytek
18-04-06, 07:32 AM
Update

Magpies offer to play games on the Gold Coast
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/17/1145126055893.html

By Michael Gleeson
April 18, 2006

COLLINGWOOD has offered to play its four away interstate games each year on the Gold Coast to help promote AFL football in the region.

The offer would require four interstate clubs to sacrifice a home game to play Collingwood at Carrara each year.

Admitting the offer was self-serving, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said the plan could be alternated with another big club such as Essendon playing its away games at the ground each year, to ensure the new venue was launched with blockbusters.

"We said that if they wanted to kickstart it, one way to do it was almost to use the model used when Waverley came on board and that was everyone gave up a game," McGuire said.

"So we would be prepared to use the strength of Collingwood because we fill the place up every time. We had a training run up there two years ago and 10,000 people turned up. So we suggested that we would play our four interstate games there ? we play our Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Brisbane game or whatever at Carrara.
"It won't make any difference to the interstate teams, yes it asks them to play a home game interstate but they do play 11 games at home and no one else does that.

"Someone has to sacrifice and if we think it is a big enough thing for the competition to go up there to Carrara, because we know rugby league is absolutely targeting it, then this is a way to do it.

"It was our idea but I think everyone understands it would work. And maybe Essendon could do it the year after.

"You only have to do it for one or two years and then you can integrate if it is the Kangaroos who want to play there."

The Original Idiot
18-04-06, 09:36 AM
^
I could understand if they were giving up an away game, but who which interstate team would give up their home game to play it at some out-of-the-way location and have 8000 people turn up? Collingwood is making someone else's decision for them.

Queenslander
18-04-06, 09:43 AM
I think Collingwood are pretty much saying to any Melbourne club that they are willing to travel to some "out-of-the-way" location. I assume that any club that would take up this offer would have the costs of the games taken over by either the Southport Sharks or the AFL or both. Thus making it appealing to any clubs that are in financial hardship. So its either play at home with a $$$ loss or play a home game "away" and get a $$$ profit.

Dakink
18-04-06, 10:26 AM
I think Collingwood are pretty much saying to any Melbourne club that they are willing to travel to some "out-of-the-way" location. I assume that any club that would take up this offer would have the costs of the games taken over by either the Southport Sharks or the AFL or both. Thus making it appealing to any clubs that are in financial hardship. So its either play at home with a $$$ loss or play a home game "away" and get a $$$ profit.

They offered to have their interstate game transfered QLD'er. No interstate team loses money on home games. A 'big' offer here from Collingwood, all they are trying to do is to ensure they dont have to travel to a hostile ground and in essence not have to face any interstate teams on their own home soil. This isnt an offer top promote the AFL it is an offer that is in Collingwoods best interests. The interstate games are amazingly to to not only win but back up from, this gets rid of them.

Steve Dangerous
18-04-06, 11:37 AM
and surely they don't have any bloody choice where they play their away games anyway. it's like a way of offering something without actually offering anything lol.

Queenslander
18-04-06, 11:41 AM
No interstate team loses money on home games.

Yeah thats true, it isnt more of a financial loss, but they can gain more by transfering games to another location...Look at Souths for example they got more money if they transferred their home games to Telstra. But I agree with your sentiments about Collingwood seeing that no-body likes Eddie's team it is probably best for their games to be played either at home, or someplace that is in-different to them.

The Original Idiot
18-04-06, 11:43 AM
Collingwood can only make a decision as to where it plays its home games. They are not even considering that, only Nth Melbourne are.

Hindyscrack
18-04-06, 04:30 PM
One AFL crowd was larger then 1 NRL trial... Big deal

The Dogs v Cowboys game will once again be a sell out with over 20K in attendance... I can beleive that the fool from Southport said AFL was the preffered code up here, ignorant prick!

The Original Idiot
18-04-06, 04:59 PM
I can beleive that the fool from Southport said AFL was the preffered code up here, ignorant prick!
Good call! But the mods will probably edit it.
Oh well. In before the edit!

Queenslander
22-04-06, 09:31 AM
It's AFL v NRL on Coast
Paul Malone

April 22, 2006

TIME might be on the side of the Southport Sharks in their war of attrition to have a second Queensland AFL team based at Carrara. But the numbers are some way from stacking up for them.

http://thecouriermail.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5143356,00.jpg
With greatly varying degrees of apprehension, the AFL, the Kangaroos, Melbourne's other would-be suitor clubs, the Queensland Government's Major Sports Facilities Authority and AFL Queensland have to be won over to the prospect of the full-time presence demanded by the rich Sharks.

Southport president Dr Alan Mackenzie said Kangaroos chief Graham Duff had flagged a decision "in a matter of weeks" on whether the struggling Victorian club would continue to play some home games in Canberra.

The alternative, pushed by Southport as a means towards a move to a permanent club at the Gold Coast, would be to adopt Carrara for a number of games next year.

Importantly, the AFL emphasised in a meeting with Southport officials at the Gold Coast last weekend it wanted to have a greater presence of AFL games at Carrara in future years. The Sharks see this as one way to counteract the entry to the NRL of the city's Titans next year.

In February, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou put squarely on the agenda the AFL's determination to have a greater AFL presence in western Sydney and the Gold Coast, financed by the sale of TV rights for $780 million.

"The AFL is still keen to continue its presence on the Gold Coast next year. Whoever gets the foothold in the market first will have an advantage because people will commit," Mackenzie said.

"We've had no further contact with the Kangaroos (since a meeting two weeks ago).

"The (Gold Coast City) council's informal feedback is that the council has a commitment to continue to improve Carrara in conjunction with the AFL so games can be more comfortably staged there."

It did little for the cause when 8258 fans turned out on an overcast day last Sunday for the first game of AFL at Carrara in 14 years ? a Melbourne-Adelaide clash..

"If they are going to be getting 8000 to a game, it's not viable," Richmond coach Terry Wallace said.

"From the perspective of another code and overseas people, they are amazed at how many people our games attract. Anything that detracts from that is not welcome.

"You'd need to be pretty positive you have enough membership and following. I wouldn't agree with it just for the sake of developing the game ? and that's not necessarily aimed at the Gold Coast. That's aimed at western Sydney and the Gold Coast."

AFL Queensland chief executive Richard Griffiths said the state body supported a second team being introduced in Queensland, provided it did not "erode the sustainability of the Lions in any way".

Gold Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle, preparing for his club's NRL entry next year, pointed out ? in the spirit of inter-code pride ? that 21,012 fans had flocked to the Bulldogs-Cowboys game at Carrara last year.

"Their crowd reinforced our belief that the AFL has a significant amount of work to do in the region to consider itself, as (Southport chief executive) Paul Wyatt referred to it, the dominant sport on the Gold Coast," Searle said.

One issue the Sharks and Titans agree on is that the city has the population and corporate wealth to sustain both an NRL and AFL club.

The closure of three national league clubs and the relocation of the AFL Bears from Carrara to the Gabba in the 1990s is a stick that has been used for years to oppose competition expansion to the Gold Coast.

The long-serving Mackenzie said a population of almost 550,000 was already big enough and the Titans claim it will rise to about 850,000 in the next 16 years.

"It's changed a lot from the when the Bears left (in 1992)," Mackenzie said.

"There's a lot of strong local companies and a strong building boom still going on."

Searle said: "What an AFL club could affect of ours is the corporate hospitality market, but not the corporate sponsorship market, I don't think.

"An NRL and AFL club would survive quite fine on the Gold Coast, but an AFL team would do more damage to the Lions and I've said that to (Lions chief executive) Michael Bowers."

Mackenzie said the opposition recently voiced by the Lions was "certainly not helpful".

"It's like any monopoly. If you have one you are going to try to protect it," he said.

"I thought they had softened that line until just recently, but possibly they foresee a bit of a downturn if their performances are starting to slide.

"It's not just a case of what's good for the Lions being good for AFL football."

Claims have been made by the Lions that the MSFA has an agreement with the AFL that any second AFL team from Queensland admitted before 2015 must play home matches at the Gabba.

"It's something the AFL and the MSFA would probably try to sort out if it became an issue," Mackenzie said.

"It's interesting there wasn't any suggestion the Titans should play at Lang Park when a fortune had been spent (by the State Government) on it. They were quite happy to fork out another $60 million or whatever for the stadium (being built for the Titans at Robina).

"I've never seen the wording of the agreement and there seems to be a few different slants on what it actually says."

It's a fair point, but in practice no similar agreement has emerged between the NRL and the State Government.

Last year, Searle said they would agree to playing some big-drawing games at Suncorp, notably a derby against the Broncos, that would be likely to exceed the Robina stadium's 25,000 capacity.

A Sharks-led AFL club already looks like following suit. "There would be some logic in playing some games at the Gabba at times," Mackenzie said.

Searle told NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney yesterday that the NRL needed to "brand" itself as the organiser of junior league in Queensland and NSW to oppose the giant step the AFL's Auskick programs have made.

"South-East Queensland is a core rugby league area and whether the (southeast) region is ready for a second AFL club is highly debatable," Searle said.

"It doesn't make any difference to us for this generation if there's an AFL team on the Gold Coast, but for the next generation it does."

Searle said of the 30,000 now relocating to the Gold Coast every year, 47.6 per cent came from other parts of Queensland and from NSW. Of foreign residents moving to the Gold Coast, 56 per cent come from New Zealand and Britain.

"Given those demographics, it's a fallacy to say, 'Victorians are relocating to Queensland and that's good for AFL'," he said. "They certainly did in bigger numbers 20 years ago."

In Southport's favour is the reality that the relocation issue will continue to hound the Kangaroos and possibly other less wealthy Melbourne AFL clubs, notably the Western Bulldogs.

Kangaroos premiership players Sam Kekovich, Keith Greig, David King, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Ross Glendinning have all advocated the club's transfer to the Gold Coast.

Greig, a dual Brownlow Medallist, said that Queensland was a better choice for a fulltime base than Canberra and he had thought for five years that relocation was inevitable to ensure survival.

It is an option Demetriou would have to win the existing clubs over to where he has given credence to the addition of a 17th club.

"I don't have much of an issue with that," Wallace said. "When you own the game and give opportunities, you normally find there are players out there who can play at a level.

"The bye (created by 17 teams) isn't a worry with me. But it would make more sense to have an established club with history, as what's happened with Brisbane."

The Southport Sharks have some time on their side within an AFL context, but are right to worry about giving up too much of a competitive lead to the Titans. AFL heavies are mindful of how Canberra was left vacant for the growth of league's Raiders and union's Brumbies.

"At various times we have spoken to other clubs (than the Kangaroos)," Mackenzie said.

"Our strategy is if we see an opportunity for a proactive Melbourne club to play some games and get some penetration in a market ready to support AFL football, we'll talk to them."

The Courier Mail

Dakink
22-04-06, 09:36 AM
Good read that - I agree with Searle, the AFL has some way to go before itcan call itself dominant (LOL), but their is room for 2 national clubs on the Coast.

The more high quality football (of any code) the better for the region and its economy.

I just cant see League being headed provided they do counter Auskick and continue to develop the juniors. A positive image from the Titans with a lot of community\school work from the players\Titans will go a long way to ensuring Leagues future on the Coast.

Queenslander
14-05-06, 05:20 PM
:fyi: Thought I should post this up here:

Last night the Lions played at Carrara and got a crowd of 12,315 :) Wont be long now until the Cowboys vs Bulldogs game which should easily beat that figure.

Kingytek
14-05-06, 07:04 PM
We should all go for support and to better the afl crowd

DIEHARD
14-05-06, 07:15 PM
:fyi: Thought I should post this up here:

Last night the Lions played at Carrara and got a crowd of 12,315 :) Wont be long now until the Cowboys vs Bulldogs game which should easily beat that figure.

Woah that is a kick in the guts for the AwFuL brigade.

Past crowds you could say aren't entirely relevant because there was no local club playing, but the Lions played in this one.

Cowboys v Bulldogs will push the capacity once again. :guit:

Kingytek
23-05-06, 12:38 PM
Roos cool on Carrara
By Damian Barrett
May 23, 2006

SOUTHPORT Football Club's hopes of enticing the Kangaroos to play matches at Carrara have weakened.

While the Kangaroos may yet play future home games at the Gold Coast venue, they might not do so in partnership with Southport.

Southport and the Roos are yet to find common ground, and a standoff has developed since the Sharks demanded the Roos commit to a future in South-East Queensland from next year.

The Roos were not impressed with Southport's proposal to base a partnership on the Sharks buying equity in the club.

Southport is understood to have made the suggestion as part of an offer for the Roos to play nine games at Carrara from next season.

The AFL remains determined to fight rugby league's push in to the region (the Gold Coast Titans join the NRL next year).

The league has never been comfortable with Southport's aggressive push for an AFL licence, and it is considering other ways to bankroll matches at Carrara via its subsidiary AFL Queensland.

The Kangaroos will debate the merits of a future on the Gold Coast against their alignment with Canberra when their board meets on Thursday.

Canberra has lodged its proposal with the Roos, and the national capital is understood to have bettered its current contract, which allows the battling club to net about $210,000 from each of the three matches it plays at Manuka each season.

The Roos are seeking up to $400,000 for each of the three home matches they play interstate from next season.

Queenslander
18-06-06, 09:16 AM
Titans challenge to AFL
SELINA STEELE and GREG DAVIS
18jun06

THE Gold Coast Titans have challenged the AFL to take their best shot at rugby league as the rival codes intensify their battle for the tourist strip.

Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke confirmed this week the AFL had begun negotiations for Carrara Stadium to host four home-and-away matches next year as well as two pre-season games.

It follows this week's AFL chief executives' conference in Melbourne and recent in-house discussions between the AFL and the Gold Coast City Council over the issue of tackling the Titans head on.

Brisbane Lions chief executive Michael Bowers joined the turf war, saying his club was needed to help the AFL maintain a major presence on the Coast.

The Titans will make their NRL debut next year and the Gold Coast will host today's clash between North Queensland and Canterbury at Carrara Stadium.

Clarke, whose brother Jack was a premiership captain with Essendon, said the AFL had to act before he stepped down from office in two years or the code would risk becoming a second-class citizen.

"I have an affinity with AFL and who knows if the next mayor will have the same passion," he said.

"I'd like to get things going sooner rather than later because of the Titans but Carrara will remain mainly as an Australian rules venue.

"The AFL just can't throw it away.

"They've created an interest down here and the best way of keeping the interest going would be to include Brisbane Lions."

Bowers added the AFL needed to have a fair fight with the Titans.

"Trotting out a struggling Victorian club all by itself won't be as good as having the Lions making a significant presence down there to prepare the soil for what might happen in the future," Bowers said.

"We think the AFL, to put its best foot forward, should schedule Brisbane to play more games down there.

"It needs that sort of commitment to compete with the Titans."

However, Titans managing director Michael Searle said his organisation did not feel threatened by the renewed onslaught on rugby league.

"We will still be the only Gold Coast-based team playing in a national competition so I don't see this having an impact on us and we certainly won't be changing any of our strategies or plans as a result of it," Searle said.

The Sunday Mail

Darren Lockyer
17-07-06, 04:59 PM
That's got to be one of the smallest NRL trial crowds on the coast in recent times.

Not too bad considering Cararra was acting as a nuetral venue for the NRL trial, whereas the local club was hosting the AFL game.

There were other games held there by the AFL this year which drew as low as 6,000 though, not involving the Lions.
Get stuffed

Teegy
17-07-06, 05:01 PM
Get stuffed
???? Locky why would you reopen a thread this old just to say that???

Darren Lockyer
17-07-06, 05:03 PM
???? Locky why would you reopen a thread this old just to say that???
I don't know i was just bored so i looked at some old threads and there was an idiot who preffered GAYFL to league so i wanted to tell him what i thought.

Kingytek
21-07-06, 08:38 AM
Another update on the AFL\NRL Turf War

Titanic turf war on cards as Gold Coast cry foul over AFL

Glenn Jackson
July 21, 2006

THE new Gold Coast franchise is facing the biggest test of its short life, standing to lose $1 million in its first year in the NRL competition should the AFL succeed with what the league club deems "deliberate interference".

At the centre of the latest cross-code spat is Carrara Stadium, the venue for the Titans' first season next year. The Titans believe Gold Coast Council has reneged on a promise by refusing to reconfigure the ground in the lead-up to next season, managing director Michael Searle saying quite fittingly: "It's turf wars".

Searle believes the AFL is attempting to "run interference", deliberately sabotaging the fledgling franchise's first season by attempting to scupper its plans for the reconfiguration.

"It can't be understated," Searle warned. "We're a new licence with limited resources, up against the might of the AFL's cash cow.

"I can't understate the impact that can have on us."

The AFL announced last week that the Kangaroos would play three premiership matches on the Gold Coast next season and a total of 10 games up to 2009. They will play all those matches at Carrara Stadium, which will also host the Titans until they move to their $100 million ground at Robina, in time for the 2008 season.

The Titans had hoped to have Carrara reconfigured to a rectangular shape through temporary grandstands. However, the AFL have been lobbying the council to keep the current oval shape.

Searle sent a letter to Gold Coast Council this week attempting to persuade it to reconsider, and told the Herald "the AFL are only here because we're here".

"It's clear the AFL strategy is to run interference, to cause as much grief to us as they can," Searle said. "It's a significant issue of concern with us.

"?I'd hate to think the Gold Coast City Council would favour the AFL over their own team. They'll do so at their peril."

If the ground is not altered to suit the Titans, Searle maintained it would decrease the capacity of the ground by up to 3000, hurting the club's bottom line by more than $1 million next year.

"That's three thousand less fans attending our games - three thousand mums and dads who can't attend our football games next year," Searle said. "The AFL don't have any problems because they won't be filling the place, but we'll be busting at the seams.

"That's 36,000 over 12 home games.

"Look, the AFL are playing a smart game, trying to limit our support by reducing the capacity. Will it threaten our licence? No. But it'll certainly create some disharmony among the fans.

"It will affect some of our programs, community programs and junior development. Obviously we're going to have to reduce our budgets to cater for that. But it's not licence threatening. We have $15 million in the bank. But it is a blip on the radar."

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke hinted yesterday the council would not be moved on the stadium front - the ground would be oval, however he insisted temporary seating would allay Searle's financial concerns.

"We could add 3000 seats without it being rectangular," Clarke said.

"It's the playing surface we're concerned about. If they can find a way to hang seats from the sky, great."

Clarke said the AFL spent $1 million last year on the Carrara surface and the council was intent on having a rugby league ground as well as an Aussie Rules venue once the stadium at Robina is completed.

"We're spending $20 million on an alternate stadium because we wanted two stadiums," Clarke said.

He also said the council had approached the NRL for assistance to upgrade Carrara Stadium but their overtures were rejected.

"We've asked for help from the NRL but we've only received help from the AFL," he said. "The NRL told us they don't make contributions to grounds."

NRL operations manager Graham Annesley had no recollection of such a request, but said: "The NRL's not in the business of putting funds into stadiums owned by councils."

Annesley, who has twice travelled to the Gold Coast recently to hold with talks with the council over the stadium, said the NRL would continue to support the Titans during their discussions.

"Obviously we want them to have a successful entry into the competition," Annesley declared. "Those additional stands are being negotiated. They would not only have an impact on the comfort and involvement of fans by being closer but will also have a financial impact."

The AFL dismissed Searle's claims of deliberate interference. "The AFL is already playing at the venue," spokesman Patrick Keane said. "We'll continue playing at the venue in its current form."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/gold-coast-cry-foul-over-afl/2006/07/20/1153166522030.html?page=fullpage#

Darren Lockyer
21-07-06, 01:21 PM
I hate these gayfl people.

lonegull
21-07-06, 02:18 PM
i stil think its a ploy by the afl becuase the titans are entering the nrl i hate the afl i hope no one goes to the matches at the gold coast anyway

Darren Lockyer
21-07-06, 02:53 PM
i stil think its a ploy by the afl becuase the titans are entering the nrl i hate the afl i hope no one goes to the matches at the gold coast anyway
Same but it won't happen because heaps of people like the afl. Once they have finished this season we have our own stadium, at robina

Queenslander
22-07-06, 08:04 AM
Titans attack on council
Daniel Pace
July 22, 2006

THE Gold Coast Titans say they stand to lose more than $1 million in their first year because the local council is favouring a Melbourne-based AFL club over the new NRL franchise.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle yesterday launched a scathing attack on Gold Coast City Council and, in particular, its mayor Ron Clarke, claiming the council reneged on a promise to reconfigure their home ground at Carrara for 2007.

The Kangaroos will play 10 AFL premiership matches on the tourist strip over the next three years at Gold Coast Stadium where the Titans will play 12 home games in their inaugural season before shifting to their $100 million ground at Robina.

Searle says the Titans will lose a minimum $1 million next year unless the council honours an alleged commitment to reconfigure the ground to a rectangular shape through temporary grandstands, which would boost crowd capacity by 3000.

The AFL has been pressuring the council to maintain the present oval shape.

"The Gold Coast mayor needs to have a good, long, hard look at what his charter is and that's to look after Gold Coast businesses," Searle said.

"The AFL hasn't been here for 14 years prior to this. The mayor's got a lot to answer for in turning his back on a commitment."

Clarke, whose late brother Jack captained Essendon in the VFL in the 1960s, is a strong supporter of expanding AFL into the Gold Coast.

"I'm surprised that he hasn't declared he's got a conflict (of interest)," Searle said.

"It's farcical really."

But Clarke denied the council had made any agreement to the Titans.

"There was never an agreement to put grandstands on the playing surface," Clarke said.

"We're adding to the seating capacity and bending over backwards. We've spent $20-odd million on the Titans and we did that deliberately because they said Carrara wasn't suitable because it didn't have a rectangular ground."

The Courier Mail

Titanium_BD1103
22-07-06, 04:08 PM

How about telling the staff at Carrara to get rid of the giant billboard that the Southport Sharks AFL side has placed at Carrara then...saying thanks Gold Coast, its great to have AFL back... its an eyesore... and The Australian showed it in the papers... and it doesn't look good or sound good for season 2007 between the Titans and the Carrara Stadium... :(

At least its only one season of this rubbish, and then we can move to GC Stadium, but here's hoping the council gives some support for 2007, so far it ain't looking promising... :(

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 10:33 AM
How about telling the staff at Carrara to get rid of the giant billboard that the Southport Sharks AFL side has placed at Carrara then...saying thanks Gold Coast, its great to have AFL back... its an eyesore... and The Australian showed it in the papers... and it doesn't look good or sound good for season 2007 between the Titans and the Carrara Stadium... :(

At least its only one season of this rubbish, and then we can move to GC Stadium, but here's hoping the council gives some support for 2007, so far it ain't looking promising... :(
they are trying to get the titans out the competition like last time.

Grimmace
19-10-06, 07:47 PM
Voss tips Gold Coast team before 2016
Thursday Oct 19 16:21 AEST
An AFL team will be based on the Gold Coast within 10 years, according to outgoing Lions skipper Michael Voss.

Voss, who started his 289-game career as a 17-year-old Brisbane Bear at Carrara in 1992, is adamant south-east Queensland will have two teams by 2016.

"If you asked me 15 years ago whether there would be AFL back on the Gold Coast I would have thought you were mad," he said.

"But now I would have thought within 10 years there would be something here on a more permanent basis.

"I think there will be a team actually based here."

The tourist strip has been targeted by the AFL as a major growth area and is currently upping the ante against the rugby codes.

A 14-year drought was broken on the Coast this year with two senior AFL matches played at Carrara, the first since the Bears moved permanently to Brisbane.

The under-pressure Kangaroos will play three home games at Carrara in 2007 as part of a three-year deal to play 10 matches on the Coast.

While vulnerable to a forced move north, Arden St officials are opposed to relocation and adamant the second home at Carrara will strengthen their position in North Melbourne.

But key figures in the Queensland AFL fraternity see a permanent Kangaroos relocation as a natural progression.

Voss was on the Gold Coast launching a high-performance rookie search program focussed on helping talented athletes from other sports making the transition to Australian rules.

Having retired after 15 seasons largely due to a chronic knee problem, the 31-year-old believes Jonathan Brown's recent injury history must be factored in when the Lions sit down to decide on a replacement skipper.

Brown, who missed the second half of the season with a cracked hip, has struggled to be on the field for 50 per cent of Brisbane's matches over the past two seasons.

"Durability is a key factor in whether you're a captain or not I believe and that's one criteria among a thousand other things," Voss said.

"You need your captain playing, not sitting in the stands watching."

Coach Leigh Matthews this week said he expected Brown to be fully fit in 2007 and his bad luck with injuries wouldn't come into the equation when he decides on his skipper around the New Year.

Voss initially anointed Brown as his long-term replacement last year but has since told Matthews and Brown of the importance of having an ever-present captain.

"I love Jonathan Brown. He will be, when he's playing, the No.1 player in the competition, but the last couple of years he hasn't played every single week and you need your captain to be durable," he said.

"I'm not saying he won't be but that's a big criteria."

AAP

PROMETHEUS
19-10-06, 07:57 PM
Not only is the AFL looking at expanding on the gold coast theyve targeted western sydney (Blacktown) for another team :mad:

Darren Lockyer
20-10-06, 06:58 AM
thats alright because we'll be well estabilished by then and will be the only driving sport on the coast. Like melbourne with afl

TITAN PETE
20-10-06, 11:20 AM
By the time they relocate another has been afl club the Titans will already have won a couple of premierships :win: !!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
20-10-06, 11:40 AM
The only thing we need to worry about, is making sure in the kids eyes, rugby league and the Titans are number #1! We need to secure the fertile juniors and then the AwFuL can do it's worst...

West_Titan
22-10-06, 09:28 PM
I'd personally like to see an AFL team here on the Coast. The main reason is beacuse i like sport and having another team here winning premierships will only be a positive for the Gold Coast. AFL is not that bad and can be exciting to watch with awesome highlights. With a new NBL team on the horizon, all i can say is -
Bring on the Gold Coast Sharks.

We'll show Australia just how talented the people of the Coast are!!!!

Roolander
23-10-06, 02:07 PM
I'd personally like to see an AFL team here on the Coast. The main reason is beacuse i like sport and having another team here winning premierships will only be a positive for the Gold Coast. AFL is not that bad and can be exciting to watch with awesome highlights. With a new NBL team on the horizon, all i can say is -
Bring on the Gold Coast Sharks.

We'll show Australia just how talented the people of the Coast are!!!!

Agreed , the coast now is big enough for both codes , those who think its not are paranoid , bring on as many codes as possible.

DIEHARD
23-10-06, 10:46 PM
I hate to disrupt the group hug. But we cant play happy families with AFL or Union. As it is their mission to destroy and discredit us, snap us off at our grassroots and steal our territory. It's war between the codes.

Just look at the blatant spoiling tactics used by the Sharks and AFL to try and hamper the Titans maiden premiership campaign. It's pathetic.

If the NRL didn't put a club on the Coast...I'd have gone insane. I couldn't stand it.

It's all great to be a fan of both codes. But Im firmly in the PRO RUGBY LEAGUE camp and people like me balance out the AFL zealots. :laugh:

Grimmace
18-11-06, 07:42 AM
Tie me Kangaroos down, sport
18Nov06

THE North Melbourne Kangaroos have entered into a multimillion-dollar joint venture with local club the Broadbeach Cats, renewing hopes of a Gold Coast AFL team.

The deal is for a Kangaroos-Cats social facility near Gold Coast Stadium, costing about $25 million.

It will be seen as a significant blow to the chances of local powerhouse Southport Sharks one day holding a second AFL licence in Queensland.

The plan has been unveiled at a time when the Gold Coast is emerging as a major player on the national sporting scene.

The Gold Coast Titans kick off in the National Rugby League next year, a team in the National Rugby Competition will be based on the Coast from August next year, and soccer's Olyroos are set to play internationals at the same venue.

The Kangaroos-Cats social facility would include an auditorium, restaurants, bars and gambling facilities and be operated under the banner of the Kangaroos Sports Club.

The complex would not include playing fields.

Although plans for the social club are only at a preliminary stage, it has been confirmed a five-member board, comprising two from Broadbeach and three from North Melbourne, had been established.

The Kangaroos have an agreement in place with the AFL to play 10 premiership games plus pre-season matches over the next three years at Gold Coast Stadium.

The Kangaroos are expected to earn about $1.5 million a season from the exercise.

But the cash-strapped Victorian club's meagre bank balance, and that of equally financially challenged Broadbeach, could be boosted significantly by returns from the social venture that could include 250 poker machines.

Project consultant Tony Lenan, a local solicitor and director of Firestar Developments, said the proposed club would bring big benefits to the Gold Coast as well as the two football clubs and would add to the AFL push into Queensland.

"We have had positive early discussions with Gold Coast City Council representatives and will now be advancing our preliminary planning pro-cesses," said Mr Lenan.

"The Kangaroos are very keen to increase their following and presence on the Coast and to work with the Cats to create substantial mutual success in the future."

The Southport Sharks, meanwhile, will keep fighting for an AFL licence.

President Alan Mackenzie was understandably disappointed to hear of the Kangaroos-Broadbeach liaison but described it as 'just another twist along the road'.

"We put our best foot forward to try and get a licence here on the Coast at a time when we thought one was available. If circumstances have changed since then, so be it."

Source: GC Bulletin

DIEHARD
18-11-06, 11:48 AM
WTF. This can't be for real, how could they get that off the ground.

Especially when we don't have a leagues club. :box:

Titan_Matchu
18-11-06, 12:02 PM
I don't get why so many Gold Coasters are so defencive over this the Titans will already have at the very least a three year head start on the AFL and I would prefer there being both an NRL and AFL team from the coast incase one starts doing bad.

Nathalie
20-11-06, 01:00 PM
IMO, AFL is some strange 'sport' that only people who got rejected from playing league play :) I come from Melbourne and I CAN'T STAND the sport!! No wonder AFL isn't a worldwide sport. I just hope that the AFL doesn't play any more games up here - *shudder* - but I do know that whatever happens, the league presence here is way too strong for AFL to even think about taking over.

bondititan
21-11-06, 06:48 AM
i'm a fan of all codes as they are different in all respects afl is like little athletics with a ball where league is wrestling comp you need to run in

Queenslander
07-12-06, 08:05 AM
AFL punts on Gold Coast
Chris Bassani
December 06, 2006 11:00pm

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou yesterday announced $30 million would be spent over the next five years on football development on the Gold Coast.

Demetriou was speaking at the Gold Coast launch of Melbourne club the Kangaroos at Southport Surf Life Saving Club. They will play 10 games over the next three years at Carrara.

Demetriou was flanked by Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff, coach Dean Laidley and players Adam Simpson, Daniel Wells, Nathan Thompson, Corey Jones, David Hale, Daniel Harris and Brent Harvey.

The league boss made it clear the AFL would be in expansion mode "for decades to come".

Demetriou hopes that by 2015 a premiership game will be played in Queensland in each round.

He promised the AFL would be a huge player on the Gold Coast and said the foundations would be set up in conjunction with the Kangaroos, AFL Queensland, Gold Coast City Council and the State Government.

The possibility of permanent relocation of the Kangaroos to the Gold Coast drew a guarded response from Demetriou and Duff.

"This is not a precursor to any relocation. We got behind the Kangaroos, who are prepared to be our partner in this venture for the next three years," Demetriou said.

"West Sydney and southeast Queensland are the fastest growing regions in Australia and it would not make sense not to be involved.

"Ideally, if you started with a clean piece of paper you would have two teams in Sydney and Queensland.

"In Queensland, I don't know what form it will eventually take but the AFL is not averse to a 17th team."

The process of building the foundations will be in the hands of a team of 12 people who aim to develop football at all levels and work with all stakeholders.

The AFL will help in the upgrading of Carrara which holds 14,000 people.

Demetriou believes a modern 20,000-seat stadium would be ideal but did not put a time frame on development.

He said the lessons learnt from the Canberra experience were that "if you get behind the community and stay for the long haul, they will get behind you".

Duff said: "The pleasing part of this venture is the interest shown not only by Gold Coast business but by national corporations who want to be involved with us on the Gold Coast."

"Carrara is now getting additional seating and we are very happy with all facilities, players, public and corporation."

Duff conceded being wary of joining with leviathan Gold Coast club Southport.

"They do a great job, they are very well run and I totally respect them," he said.

"But we didn't want to loose our identity. We want to stay the Kangaroos and we are very happy with our partnership with the AFL.

"We are open to co-supporting each other in a variety of ways with Southport or any other club including Broadbeach."

The Kangaroos will play four games in Queensland next year, three home games at Carrara and one away game against Brisbane at the Gabba.

Laidley said he had no concerns that the Kangaroos were playing home games in Queensland.

"We did it in Canberra and had a great winning record," he said.

"We will have clinics and work with the community as well as a practice game before we have our first game here.

"We are professionals and have the travelling situation these days down pat."

Carrara games for the Kangaroos are: round 4 v the Lions, April 21; round 8 v Carlton, May 19; round 12 v Adelaide, June 16.

The Courier Mail

Future Star
07-12-06, 12:08 PM
We dont want to flood the GC with sport teams so early, take it one at a time.
We need to wait before the NRL and NBL (next season) teams settle, theres already talk of a GC Soccer team...

kioli
07-12-06, 08:01 PM
We dont want to flood the GC with sport teams so early, take it one at a time.
We need to wait before the NRL and NBL (next season) teams settle, theres already talk of a GC Soccer team...
I reckon that the GC is big enough to support a 'big' team like the Titans and two smaller teams like the NBL and A-League clubs would be.

Kingytek
25-01-07, 10:05 AM
Kangaroos to move to Gold Coast: ex-GM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Kangaroos-to-move-to-Gold-Coast-exGM/2007/01/25/1169594402639.html
January 25, 2007 - 10:39AM

Former Kangaroos powerbroker Ron Joseph says it is inevitable that the club will eventually relocate to the Gold Coast fulltime.

The `Roos have signed a deal with the AFL to play a total of 10 matches at Carrara over three seasons, starting this year.

Joseph, a revered former Kangaroos general manager and board member who is a member of the club's hall of fame, said that number would gradually increase.

"Three games (per season at Carrara) will become six, six games will become nine, nine games will become 12," Joseph told Melbourne's Herald-Sun newspaper.

"I have no doubt about that and am happy for that to happen provided the North Melbourne identity is kept."

Joseph said the Kangaroos, who previously had Canberra as a second home before the switch to the Gold Coast, needed to make a permanent move to compete on an equal footing with other AFL clubs.

"If you are going to compete again, and when I say compete I mean to have a serious chance of winning a premiership, then they need to grab this opportunity," he said.

The club has constantly fought against speculation that its part-time move to the Gold Coast is a precursor for a full-time move.

President Graham Duff said Joseph had not been involved with the club for many years and he denied such a move was inevitable.

"Everyone wants to assume the Gold Coast is a foregone conclusion, but it is certainly not with us or the AFL," he said.

Kingytek
27-04-07, 03:24 PM
Kangaroos staying in Melbourne
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,21630584-23211,00.html
April 27, 2007

THE Kangaroos will remain a Melbourne-based AFL club for at least the next three years.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff gave that assurance after a two-hour meeting between the league and the club board today.

The Kangaroos currently have a three-year deal to play some games on the Gold Coast, and the club had been the centre of speculation that it Roos could relocate to Queensland as early as next season.

But Demetriou insisted after the meeting that the move would not happen.

Dragons
28-04-07, 08:08 AM
I hope the Kangaroos stay in Melbourne and we can sent Ron Clarke to them. Two things we don't need on the coast.

eelectrica
28-04-07, 06:35 PM
After the disastrous turn out for their 'home' match agains the Lions last week, I'm not surprised they're staying in Melbourne.