PDA

View Full Version : Prince: I wanted to be a Cowboy

DeeGan
07-04-06, 12:25 PM
From the Daily Telegraph;

Prince wanted to play for Cowboys

By Steve Mascord

April 07, 2006

WESTS Tigers halfback Scott Prince has revealed his first preference was to rejoin North Queensland next year - but he was turned away.

Prince takes on the Cowboys tonight in a rematch of last year's grand final before an expected sell-out crowd of 26,000 at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Mount Isa-raised Prince joins Gold Coast in 2007 but he had his eye on a north Queensland homecoming during negotiations in February.

"I was really interested in going back home and Townsville would have been my first preference," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"But they re-signed a few guys and they said it wasn't fair on them to go out and sign me at that point. They wanted me to hang on but ... I wanted to sort it out before the season."

NQ chief executive Peter Parr last night confirmed: "To make a decision in the timeframe Scott and his manager wanted and to meet the sort of financial conditions that were in place, we would have had to make a decision on letting one - probably two - of our current players go before a ball was kicked this season.

"We weren't prepared to do that."

Wests Tigers took 19 men to Townsville yesterday. Cowboy Aaron Payne (neck) is out.

NQ coach Graham Murray yesterday pointed out to his charges that Wests Tigers are the only side to have beaten them in their past 12 premiership matches."We really need to get one back on them," said prop Mitchell Sargent.

And Wests Tigers lock Jamaal Lolesi has admitted he is "lucky to be playing" after narrowly escaping suspension during the week.

Only about 5000 tickets remain with the new capacity of Dairy Farmers Stadium - after State Government-funded refurbishments - to be tested for the first time.

I commented today to a mate, 'Who wouldn't want to be a Cowboy? They are going to be a premiership force for the next five years' - not a great headline to read for Titans fans though only one thing matters that being 'we got our man' :D

The piece certainly adds to the contest I guess given Prince is returning 'home' taking on Jonathan Thurston who will line up at halfback where the QLD number seven jumper is at stake.

One game won't decide the battle for the position though a strong showing for Prince certainly gains some ground on Thurston who IMO is a certainty at halfback if he remains injury free.

Kingytek
07-04-06, 12:39 PM
Things will change once they lose Billy Johnstone

Eel 33
07-04-06, 12:48 PM
And the Titans will be better for Billy's arrival.

lonegull
07-04-06, 12:54 PM
hope scotty's not haven second thoughts

Kingytek
07-04-06, 01:28 PM
hope scotty's not haven second thoughts

Mate, we are his second thought by the looks of it

DeeGan
07-04-06, 01:37 PM
Scott Prince is from Townesville, we should cut him a little slack ;)

The most important here is that we have his signature on the contract and he will be leading us in 2007 and beyond :D

Kingytek
07-04-06, 02:16 PM
I dont care what the thinks, he's going to be wearing the number 7 for the Tites next year! Thats all that matters. All we need to do is find a good 5/8 from within the junior ranks! and We'll have an excellent halves combo!

Titanium_BD1103
07-04-06, 02:21 PM
Um... what is wrong with Preston Campbell... isn't he our 5/8th for 2007.. :D

But yeah I read the headline and was like OMG... but then I read the article and Prince was saying he would have liked to have been closer to home.. but he is ready for the challenge in 2007 with the Titans.. so yeah I am sure he is committed.... :D :D

Super Cronk
07-04-06, 02:21 PM
Mate, we are his second thought by the looks of it

lol...true.

Titans fans shouldnt worry tho..if he didnt wanna go there he wouldnt have.

Kingytek
07-04-06, 02:25 PM
Um... what is wrong with Preston Campbell... isn't he our 5/8th for 2007.. :D

But yeah I read the headline and was like OMG... but then I read the article and Prince was saying he would have liked to have been closer to home.. but he is ready for the challenge in 2007 with the Titans.. so yeah I am sure he is committed.... :D :D

Each to their own :?)

captaincharger
07-04-06, 06:44 PM
Preston Campbell just shot straight to the top for the job of captain next year imo

mb63
13-04-06, 05:03 PM
The fact is Prince will be back in QLD & should be happy.Surprised by the comment though.

~Wild Child~
13-04-06, 09:19 PM
Prince probably just needs a little adjustment time.When the Titans are up and rolling,I'm sure he will be feeling right at home,playing some pretty hot football.

mb63
14-04-06, 11:03 AM
Prince probably just needs a little adjustment time.When the Titans are up and rolling,I'm sure he will be feeling right at home,playing some pretty hot football.
I'm sure he will.Still don't think there was a need for him to publically say Cowboys was his 1st prefrence.

~Wild Child~
14-04-06, 03:03 PM
Yes MB63, I too think that this should not have been said publicly. Hopefully just a momentary lapse of reason on his behalf??? Words were out maybe before he even realised he said them?

MOPL
14-04-06, 07:43 PM
Too late remember we have signed Preston Campbell. With him and Prince in defence we will have that many blokes hiding on the wing Brian Carney could find himself in the middle of the field. Both Campbell and Prince are ordinary in defence and the home ground has now got 2 extra turn styles