PDA

View Full Version : QLD: Slater 'still Origin chance'

Queenslander
04-04-06, 08:51 AM
Slater 'still Origin chance'
By Margie McDonald and Stuart Honeysett
April 4, 2006

QUEENSLAND coach Mal Meninga said Billy Slater's Origin chances would not be harmed if he were found guilty of kicking Wests Tigers forward John Skandalis in the head and served a lengthy stint on the sidelines.

The incident in the 47th minute of the Storm-Tigers match on Sunday has landed the talented fullback in hot water with the judiciary.

Slater faces a grade five charge - the highest - for kicking and faces up to seven weeks out.

A seven-week ban would rule Slater out of Origin I on May 24. But if he gets the minimum five weeks for an early plea, or fights the charge successfully and receives a lesser sentence, he would be available.

"He's still in the picture, that's for sure," Meninga said yesterday.

"He's a quality player and a quality person. He won't be discarded because of this."

Meninga said Slater's chances would be hurt by a lack of fitness or the form of his fullback rivals.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron said the club had not decided whether to fight the charge.

It also has to consider a plea for five-eighth Scott Hill, who faces up to four weeks out for allegedly pushing referee Jason Robinson after Tigers winger Shane Elford had scored.

The Storm's title campaign would suffer without two of their match-winning players.

"The extent of the video tapes aren't conclusive so we're awaiting audio tapes from the NRL which will arrive in the morning," Waldron said of Hill's grade four contrary conduct charge.

"So until then we're not in a position to comment."

Waldron admitted the club was surprised by the severity of the charges against Hill and Slater.

Waldron spoke to Slater after the charge was announced. Storm football manager Dean Lance spoke to Hill.

"We'll reconvene with both players tomorrow once those tapes arrive and we'll do what's best for them and what's best for us," Waldron said.

Skandalis yesterday said Slater came into the Tigers' dressing-room after the game. Skandalis felt the incident had ended there.

"He did come to see me and apologise and I accepted his apology," Skandalis said. "From my point of view it's over and done with. So I was surprised a bit (by grade five charge), but the judiciary has got a job to do and I'm not about to tell them how to do it."

However, Skandalis was hesitant when asked if he would provide a statement supporting Slater.

"That's something I'd have to talk about with (CEO) Steve Noyce and my coach (Tim Sheens). If they (Storm) ask for one, then we'll get together and talk about that."

The Australian

Super Cronk
04-04-06, 09:37 AM
TBH his form hasnt been all that great anyway...i think Bowen has been better and even Schifcofkse has shown some very good signs this year.

Queenslander
04-04-06, 09:39 AM
TBH his form hasnt been all that great anyway...i think Bowen has been better and even Schifcofkse has shown some very good signs this year.

Slater IMO wouldnt even be considered for fullback unless injury hampens Bowen. Slater (if selected) would either be placed on the wing, or perhaps even centre.

Dakink
04-04-06, 09:43 AM
Im waiting for the howls, but watching Bowen in some big games the last few years I have noticed he tends to go missing. For example, against the Roosters in the semis a couple of years ago, every kick Bowen fielded he passed to a winger to run it back. He looked tentative and unsure. He didnt become involved until it was too late and then he still nearly stle it for the Cowboys. He did simialr in an SOO game as well.

As he has aged he has become more confident, but he still has the tendency to go missing in bigger situations. I would prefer Slater there (Lockyer would be #1 choice), though Hornby showed on the weekend what a good confident fullback can do for a teams defence v Brisbane.

DeeGan
04-04-06, 11:07 AM
As per Queenslander - Slater was never going to get the fullback spot IF he was available, IMO he was destined for a series on the wing if he could hold his place in the QLD side. Super Cronk hit it on the head, Slater has not been in scintillating form in 2006 anyway just yet so who knows, Slater may still have behind the 8-ball for selection given he was dumped from the team in 2005.

As for Matt Bowen 'going missing' in big games - perhaps the jury is still out though he has plenty of time on his side at age 24. The 2004 semi-final vs the Roosters you allude too was not his best moment for the Cowboys though he showed in 2005 he was comfortable with semi-final football until the loss in the decider where he and the Cowboys capitulated under the pressure.

Matt Bowen has represented his state 8 times - he has started only one game (last game in 2005) with 7 appearances from the bench to score four tries. I don't think we can say he has 'gone missing' at Origin time given that in most people's eyes his potential in that environment has not been given a chance to blossom. I think 2006 will see Matt Bowen wearing the number one jersey in all three games barring injury and he will make an impact on the series.

Time will tell...his combination for 80 minutes with Thurston (and hopefully Payne) will give the NSW forwards around the ruck plenty to think about.

GT_Titan
04-04-06, 04:18 PM
Why not give Clinton Schifcofske a shot at fullback this year. He rarely has a bad game, has very safe hands and always brings the ball back well- beating the first player nearly every time. and from what I've seen of him so far this year he has looked the goods. I believe he should have already been a regular in the Qld side over the years, unfortuanately they have overlooked him for some reason :hmm:

HodgoBerro
04-04-06, 04:27 PM
where has schif been? he was actually in the team the last time they won well, drew a series!

Steelers
04-04-06, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't mind Schifoske in a Maroons jersey again. Unfortunately I don't get to see enough of him because Ch 9 don't play too many Canberra games, but I am sure he has been playing well.

Queenslander
04-04-06, 05:37 PM
Schifcofske has always been the guy that works hard but never gets noticed. Over recent years he has be over-looked by IMO better players (Slater, Wesser and Bowen) and with competition like that it is easy to see why he hasnt appeared in the Queensland team in recent years. If Schifcofske gets some more good solid performances (that get noticed) under his belt; the we may see him appear in the Queensland squad.

GT_Titan
06-04-06, 08:48 AM
Slater fails to have NRL charge reduced (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=60075)
Thursday April 6, 2006

Melbourne fullback Billy Slater's hopes of playing in the first State of Origin match have been dashed after he was unsuccessful in having his grade five kicking charge downgraded at the NRL judiciary.

The news was no better for Canberra hooker Simon Woolford, who was unsuccessful in having his grade two careless high tackle charge downgraded and will cop a two-match ban.

Slater was charged for an incident in the 47th minute of his side's loss to the Wests Tigers last Sunday, where he struck Tigers prop John Skandalis in the head with his boot.

The Storm Custodian will be out for seven matches, ruling him ineligible for Queensland selection for the Origin series opener on May 24 in Sydney.

The lengthy ban comes despite Slater's defence team of CEO Brian Waldron and football projects manager Dean Lance arguing contact with Skandalis was accidental and on the shoulder, not to his head.

Slater, who was hopeful of getting a downgrade to a grade three, said he is disappointed with the decision, but the Storm have indicated they will not appeal.

"It looks like it, doesn't it, that's up to (the selectors)," Slater said of his ambition to play in the Origin series.

"I'm obviously very disappointed, it's obviously a fair time on the sideline now.

"I'll cop that on the chin and I'll get back to playing football after that."

Judiciary council Peter Kite SC labelled Slater's conduct during the incident as "unfair and grossly excessive", with the judiciary panel of Ian Roberts, Royce Ayliffe and Mal Cochrane deciding against a downgraded charge.

However, Waldron says the outcome shouldn't sully Slater's reputation, particularly after he sought out Skandalis during and after the game to apologise.

"We don't like to waste people's time ... we thought we had a reasonable case," he said.

"We are really proud of the way he acted on the day, the integrity he showed."

The outcome is a bitter blow to the Storm, who will be without Slater until its round 13 home clash with the Sydney Roosters.

Dakink
06-04-06, 08:57 AM
Guess that rules him out of SOO1!!

Stupid stupid brain explosion from someone who is better than that.

DeeGan
06-04-06, 12:33 PM
I have no sympathy here for Billy - a rather stupid act has been given the correct penalty. He is lucky to have only been suspended ruling him out of Origin 1.

It throws up some interesting selections in the backline for QLD and Greg Inglis will firm to make his Origin debut now. I would have had him there as a genuine bolter to start with to be honest.