PDA

View Full Version : Titans want piece of the action

Queenslander
02-04-06, 11:33 AM
Titans want piece of the action
GREG DAVIS
02apr06

GOLD Coast officials want to gatecrash the rugby league season-opening party between Brisbane and the Cowboys by muscling their way into a Queensland derby to mark their return to the NRL next season.

The plan appeals to NRL chief executive David Gallop, who has all but backed the idea of the Titans playing the Broncos in the first round of 2007 to mark the end of the Gold Coast's eight-year exile from the NRL.

Round 1 Queensland derbies between the Broncos and the Cowboys have drawn near-capacity crowds to Suncorp Stadium for the past two seasons, with a combined attendance of close to 90,000 fans.

However, the Titans want to mark the biggest day in their history with an all-Queensland clash at Suncorp Stadium.

Gallop said a Broncos-Titans clash to kick off next season "stood out" as a potential opener.

"We can't give any 100 per cent guarantees, but a Titans versus Broncos match at Suncorp is certainly an attractive option," Gallop said.

"If we decided to go that way, we would want to lock that one in as soon as possible because tickets would sell like hotcakes."

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said a Round 1 match-up against the Broncos or Cowboys was almost a must for the club.

"After eight years in exile it would seem almost shallow not to play another Queensland team first," Searle said.

"When it comes time to put forward our preferences for next year's draw, we will certainly be putting that suggestion forward to the NRL."

earle said that if the Titans were granted a home game for the first round against a rival Queensland club, it would almost certainly be staged at Suncorp Stadium regardless of the opposition.

"Obviously demand will dictate where we would play but I'd like to think that a Titans-Broncos or Titans-Cowboys match would go close to selling out at Suncorp," he said.

"We've always indicated that we would like to take at least two of our home games to Suncorp Stadium, but that also depends on what kind of a deal we would get to go there because we don't want to cop too much of a (financial) hit."

Cowboys CEO Peter Parr said his club would not be impressed at being bumped from the season opener.

"We would be bitterly disappointed if we were no longer taking part in that Round 1 fixture," Parr said. "Given the enormous success of the match over the past two years, we would like to see that tradition continue."

The Sunday Mail

Queenslander
02-04-06, 11:45 AM
I personally think the Broncos vs Cowboys game should remain...I would love the Titans take on whoever is this years NRL champions...but chances are it will either be the Broncos or the Cowboys ;) But its good to see that the Titans want to host at least 2 games at Suncorp Stadium.

DeeGan
02-04-06, 12:18 PM
Round 1 Draw 2007

Gold Coast Titans vs Brisbane Broncos at Carrara Stadium
Newcastle Knights...

;)

I would be bitterly disappointed to see the game head to Suncorp Stadium. Whilst I understand the profitability side of the attraction there, I believe we owe it to our fans to push for a HOME game against the Broncos.

Steve Dangerous
02-04-06, 12:20 PM
i'm gonna havta side with searley on this! a titans v broncos game is a MUST for round 1. it would pack so much of a punch. plus a big game like that would be televised on 9, letting everyone know the titans are back and ready.

The Original Idiot
02-04-06, 02:59 PM
I hope it's Titans-Broncos at Carrara on Friday night for round 1.

DIEHARD
02-04-06, 04:50 PM
I think Broncos v Cowboys should remain. And the Titans shouldn't play the Broncos too early in the season.

And we should hold off playing the Broncos at least until round 6. After we have played a bit together and got some confidence and experience, then we should have a go at the Broncos.

I don't think we should give the public what it wants straight off the bat. I think we should make them wait for it, over all I think it would increase interest and increase our chances of knocking them over.

Losing to the Broncos first up would be disappointing, it would take the wind out of the sails and some of the gloss off the paint.

I'd be happy with playing, Knights, Tigers, Roosters, Storm or anothe team at home.

Either way the first game is going to be extremely special and I just want to save the easter egg of the Broncos v Titans games for later in the season.

I'd like the Broncos and Titans to go their seperate ways, smashing their way through the competition and I want everyone absolutely walking up walls with anticipation for them to match up later in the year.

I think over all we would milk far more hype and interest out of it. Our first match will enjoy pretty close to saturation interest and coverage anyway.

As I said previously it is like writing a script, you need to pace it (The season) correctly, so your audience is on the edge of their seat and totally engrossed the entire time and I don't think it is a good thing to give away the best scene that everyone is waiting for in the first page.

I think Broncos v Cowboys has become an established fixture. I wouldn't mind playing the Storm, they are like a quasi Queensland team. It doesn't really bother me who we play first up to be honest.

Slaytera
02-04-06, 06:09 PM
The Broncos/Cowboys game is pretty well set at the start of year. We should do the other local derby. Newcastle, their only 600 KM away!!

shavenjas
02-04-06, 06:26 PM
It would be a bit rude to start telling the NRL who you want to play and when you want to play it, i think the Titans should be greatfull that they got there ticket unto the NRL and just roll with the draw for 2007.

Steelers
02-04-06, 06:41 PM
It would be a bit rude to start telling the NRL who you want to play and when you want to play it, i think the Titans should be greatfull that they got there ticket unto the NRL and just roll with the draw for 2007.

Umm in case you didn't know, all teams get to before the season starts, and the NRL tries to accomodate for everybody's needs.

Queenslander
02-04-06, 06:45 PM
Umm in case you didn't know, all teams get to before the season starts, and the NRL tries to accomodate for everybody's needs.

That's exactly right, teams are asked what they require e.g. The Storm this year had to play away for the start of this season due to the Comm games.

And if I remember correctly the Warriors specifically asked to play the Broncos when they first came into the competition.........and they did.

DIEHARD
02-04-06, 06:51 PM
Isn't it also the Premier's privilege to pick who they want to play in round 1 the following year?

Steelers
02-04-06, 07:09 PM
Isn't it also the Premier's privilege to pick who they want to play in round 1 the following year?

Thats true, and the Premiers have chose to play the Dragons on the past 2 occasions :p

Dakink
02-04-06, 07:18 PM
Thats true, and the Premiers have chose to play the Dragons on the past 2 occasions :p

Do you play them!!

One of the worst starting teams - but also one of the best supported!

shavenjas
02-04-06, 07:43 PM
You guys are so out of context, your talking about breaking up what has become a regular season opener The Bronc's V Cowboys, I Know that the premiers get to choose and all the clubs are asked, so what do you want to kick Souths out of the charity shield match and have the Titans play, i know Steelers and Dragon would like that cause they might get to win it then :rotflmao:

Steelers
02-04-06, 08:00 PM
You guys are so out of context, your talking about breaking up what has become a regular season opener The Bronc's V Cowboys, I Know that the premiers get to choose and all the clubs are asked, so what do you want to kick Souths out of the charity shield match and have the Titans play, i know Steelers and Dragon would like that cause they might get to win it then :rotflmao:

The charity shield is a pre-season fixture... it is unlikely that would be changed, plus the charity shield has alot more tradition than the Broncos vs Cowboys season opener. And what happens if the premier chooses to play either the Cowboys or Broncos first? There goes the 'traditional' opener, whereas that wouldn't happen to the Charity Shield :p

Eel 33
02-04-06, 08:03 PM
It doesn't matter who, where or when the Titans play in the first round, they will be on Channel 9 for sure.

Steelers
02-04-06, 08:09 PM
It doesn't matter who, where or when the Titans play in the first round, they will be on Channel 9 for sure.

They better be! It would be disappointing to see the Titans first game not televised on 9 and it would be disappointing to see it not on a Friday night.

DIEHARD
02-04-06, 08:19 PM
I'm sure the Titans would get a Ch 9 game.

Especially with two Friday night TV games next season. One that has been said to have a regular Queensland flavour.

Dakink
02-04-06, 08:26 PM
I think you can garauntee that the Titans will have a number of Tele games in their first year.

Smithy
02-04-06, 08:40 PM
I think you can garauntee that the Titans will have a number of Tele games in their first year.
Especially seeing as we have our own channel 9.
They should be able to put the local game on for us even if another team is showing in Brissie.....
But we still must get out to the games.........

Steelers
02-04-06, 08:45 PM

The Cowboys only got their first game on Channel 9 when they came into the comp and didn't get another one until 2004

Smithy
02-04-06, 09:06 PM
The Cowboys only got their first game on Channel 9 when they came into the comp and didn't get another one until 2004
Well I guess from amarketing point of veiw.......Ch9 have to consider ratings.
When after the Cowboys started.....they were the easybeats and who wants to what that.......If the Titans are competitive (and they will be) they will get there fair share of tv time.
Remember that there are now 3 QLD teams........depends on who rates higher.

..::Coops::..
02-04-06, 09:25 PM
I think Broncos v Cowboys should remain. And the Titans shouldn't play the Broncos too early in the season.

And we should hold off playing the Broncos at least until round 6. After we have played a bit together and got some confidence and experience, then we should have a go at the Broncos.

I don't think we should give the public what it wants straight off the bat. I think we should make them wait for it, over all I think it would increase interest and increase our chances of knocking them over.

Losing to the Broncos first up would be disappointing, it would take the wind out of the sails and some of the gloss off the paint.

I'd be happy with playing, Knights, Tigers, Roosters, Storm or anothe team at home.

Either way the first game is going to be extremely special and I just want to save the easter egg of the Broncos v Titans games for later in the season.

I'd like the Broncos and Titans to go their seperate ways, smashing their way through the competition and I want everyone absolutely walking up walls with anticipation for them to match up later in the year.

I think over all we would milk far more hype and interest out of it. Our first match will enjoy pretty close to saturation interest and coverage anyway.

As I said previously it is like writing a script, you need to pace it (The season) correctly, so your audience is on the edge of their seat and totally engrossed the entire time and I don't think it is a good thing to give away the best scene that everyone is waiting for in the first page.

I think Broncos v Cowboys has become an established fixture. I wouldn't mind playing the Storm, they are like a quasi Queensland team. It doesn't really bother me who we play first up to be honest.

i agree. keep broncos v Cowboys rd one.
titans 1st home game will be sell out no matter what. plus as diehard said by waiting to rd 6 , it gives that titans time to gel. no matter when in the season this game is played it will sell out. i like the idea of the 1st game being all about the titans 1st game, and leaving it till later for the 1st broncos V titans derby.
(plus, don't think cowboys fans would be too thrilled about losing the broncos rd clash)

Steve Dangerous
02-04-06, 09:32 PM
for those in favour of keeping the broncos v cowboys round 1 clash, who do you prefer titans face up against? it's a tricky one.

and what do people think about having two home games at suncorp?

..::Coops::..
02-04-06, 09:37 PM
who whould i prefer titans to play rd 1? hmm, yeah probably teh premiers, or maybe souths (that way a win woudl be a sure thing lol!!)

as 4 two home games at suncorp? well for me its alot closer , so yah bring it on!

lonegull
03-04-06, 08:47 AM
Gallops behind the idea lets get a friday night game against the bronc's to open the season I might as well purchase tickets now because carrara would be sold out a huge drawcard :radio:

The Original Idiot
03-04-06, 04:51 PM
Channel 9 change games that they are broadcasting according to state, so I imagine we'll see at least 2 QLD team games per week if Channel 9 want to maximise ratings. A QLD team versus any other team will get more QLD viewers than 2 Sydney teams.

Queenslander
04-04-06, 09:56 PM
Im starting to think that the Titans may get the first Monday night game. It will be a good selling point for the NRL: New Team: New Night ;)

The Original Idiot
05-04-06, 04:39 PM
^ They're playing Monday night now? I thought it was normal fixtures with an early friday game. But MNF is so big in America it might catch on here.

Dakink
05-04-06, 04:43 PM
Monday night football is set to make its return!

Wonder what the crowds will be like?

Eel 33
05-04-06, 04:47 PM
Well how about this, in 08 the first round would consist of the two highest ranked QLD teams??? The chance of this changing every year would be good and would be a sell out regardless of which game it is.