PDA

View Full Version : Lang Park architects win Robina Stadium contract

DIEHARD
30-09-05, 03:56 AM
Architects behind Australia's top stadiums win design stakes

This is the stunning winning design for the 25,000-seat Gold Coast Stadium at Robina.

Premier Peter Beattie will announce today that the architects who designed the highly praised Suncorp Stadium, Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome have also been appointed to create the $100 million Gold Coast Stadium.

With a brief to reflect the Gold Coast's identity, HOK Sport +Venue + Event Pty Ltd has come up with the winning proposal to blend the stadium in with the surrounding Robina town centre.

"It is an exciting concept and I am sure the new stadium will become an iconic landmark in Queensland," said Mr Beattie last night.

"It is a high-quality design which makes good use of the land and site specifications. The architect has paid particular attention to integrating the stadium into the Robina urban centre."

Mr Beattie said the design brief to companies stressed the need for the stadium to reflect the identity of the Coast.

"The design and location of this stadium will enhance the appeal of Robina as the sporting and entertainment precinct on the Gold Coast," he said.

"It will be a fully functional, quality rugby league, rugby union and soccer venue."

Mr Beattie said HOK Sport had a strong background in designing world-class stadiums.

"Their expertise and experience has been demonstrated with projects such as Telstra Stadium, Telstra Dome and international stadiums," he said.

"Of course, they also designed what I believe is the best stadium in the world Suncorp Stadium."

HOK Sport would now prepare detailed designs that are based on their successful proposal.

The final cost of the stadium would be determined after the selection process for a building consultant was completed by the end of October to ensure a competitive costing of the stadium was obtained.

Construction of the stadium was expected to start in mid-2006, with commissioning to follow early in 2008 in time for the kick-off of the 2008 NRL season.

The Gold Coast Titans rugby league team will play their first season in 2007 at the old Carrara stadium, which will be upgraded for the comfort of spectators.

The Gold Coast Stadium will be owned and operated by the Government, through the Major Sports Facilities Authority.

The authority has engaged the Department of Public Works to be the principal and construction authority for the new stadium.

The MSFA currently operates Suncorp Stadium, the Gabba, the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, the Sleeman Centre and Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville.

Michael Searle's bush bloodline, Weekend Bulletin's Paradise magazine

Source: Gold Coast Bulletin

Moejoe
30-09-05, 05:23 AM
Great news, Especialy great to see Mr. Beatie come good on the promise of paying for it. Will also be exciting to see what upgrades they will come up with Carrara in the meantime. Admitidly Carrara isn't A great Stadium to watch football at. But all in all I wouldnt care if the Titans played in a public park, Jut as long as we get to see Some Quality Rugby League and get to see the best players playing the game we all love.

Steelers
30-09-05, 06:50 AM
Nice to see that the Gold Coast are going to have a quality stadium.

Lennox Titan
30-09-05, 11:31 AM
Any images?

HodgoBerro
30-09-05, 11:35 AM
Any images?

yeah - any pictures of the plans

Steelers
30-09-05, 01:51 PM
just saw picks on 7 news update its alot like suncorp except its one layer not 2 (only a ground stand not an upper stand)

Dakink
30-09-05, 02:03 PM
Awesome choice. Lang PArk (I tolds ya its always Lang park to us oldies!) is an fantastic venue for footy. The Titan management have done evertything spot on since the start of the bidding for the NRL license. Another plus for the team.

DIEHARD
30-09-05, 02:28 PM
I believe there are pictures in today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

Although my newsagent didn't get their shipment! :confused:

Anyone get the Bulletin?

Shadow XL
30-09-05, 02:55 PM
i got it, i will scan later tonight.

Lennox Titan
30-09-05, 06:25 PM
i got it, i will scan later tonight.

Great, thx

Cliffy GC
30-09-05, 06:59 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/GC-Stadium-Aerial2.jpg

from this website

sensational

looks like a smaller Lang park should be one of the best grounds in the NRL

Far better than CC stadium the supposed jewel in the Bears crown :D

Inferno
30-09-05, 07:13 PM
That looks sweet.

I just hope they plan one huge carpark for it.

How many NRL teams have a home stadium with a capacity crowd of 25 000 or more?

Broncs, Dogs anyone else?

DIEHARD
30-09-05, 08:15 PM
Gee that looks amazing! I can't wait until they start building it. Then the dream will start becoming a reality.

I think they will get massive crowds. Especially if they can work out an arrangement with QR for Brisbane based fans.

Queensland teams will go 1, 2 and 3 at the top of the crowd averages. And they will all feed off each other.

It will be HUGE.

League Freak
30-09-05, 08:17 PM
I think the Titans are getting ripped off.

We're getting 1/3rd of a Grandstand for less then a 10th of the cost of this new stadium. :rolleyes:

[BroncosGirl]
30-09-05, 09:57 PM
I was hoping for more than 25, 000, but it looks like a good stadium. Suncorp is an excellent one, soo I cna't wait :D

Steelers
30-09-05, 10:02 PM
It's the perfect mix between suburban stadium and big city stadium.

Steve Dangerous
30-09-05, 10:11 PM
Goodness, that looks amazing.

25k is a good size imo. If we can get say 15-20thousand to each game, it's going to be much better atmosphere in a tight little stadium like that... it's going to be really personal and intese. looks great... fans right on the sideline.

Steelers
30-09-05, 10:15 PM
hope the pricing isn't too bad

Steve Dangerous
30-09-05, 10:17 PM
it's a pity they have to play our first season at crappy ol carara stadium lol

Steelers
30-09-05, 10:18 PM
it's a pity they have to play our first season at crappy ol carara stadium lol

yeah if only they had have started building earlier but i guess that wasn't possible.

smerk
30-09-05, 11:54 PM
That is such a great design!

League Freak
01-10-05, 02:04 AM
Its good news for the game.

With the Titans, Broncos and soon the melbourne Storm having great stadiums like this...it can only lead to bigger and better things for the game in these areas.

I believe that the next stepping stone for the game crowd wise is to update facilities.

We've seen recently that Enegry Australia Stadium in Newcastle is getting there, but some teams play out of terrible stadiums that are way out of date.

Queenslander
01-10-05, 08:30 AM
That stadium is beautiful, it is up there with the best

Dakink
01-10-05, 08:47 AM
That is an awesome stadium.

The strangth of the NRL is the suburban grounds. I would hate to be like the AFL and all teams have to play out of giant stadia.

The little grounds need upgrading for sure - buit they are part of the fabric of the game. Just look at Wests Tigers home grounds, sold out Kogorah and WIN. You cant beat that atmosphere, we just need to help the clubs/ground owners develop these little jewels properly. They dont have to be large just modern.

Steelers
01-10-05, 08:48 AM
That is an awesome stadium.

The strangth of the NRL is the suburban grounds. I would hate to be like the AFL and all teams have to play out of giant stadia.

The little grounds need upgrading for sure - buit they are part of the fabric of the game. Just look at Wests Tigers home grounds, sold out Kogorah and WIN. You cant beat that atmosphere, we just need to help the clubs/ground owners develop these little jewels properly. They dont have to be large just modern.

Exactly right. and Robina Stadium looks like the perfect surburban stadium. Great design and so close to the action. Standing ovation for the designers!

The Original Idiot
01-10-05, 02:05 PM
If anyone has seen an empty English soccer stadium, they spell out the club name with the seats. This would look awesome at Robina, blue and sand coloured seats spelling GOLD COAST.

http://www.soccerstadiums.homestead.com/files/solight09.JPG

Steelers
01-10-05, 02:12 PM
They might, but if they don't I won't be surprised. Becuase it is going to be a govt. owned stadium it will host more than just Titans games.

The Original Idiot
01-10-05, 02:19 PM
Good point, but if it just says gold coast that should be alright.

Steelers
01-10-05, 02:27 PM
Good point, but if it just says gold coast that should be alright.

Just the words 'Gold Coast' would probably be fine. But they might go for some sort of colour scheme (like lang park)

[BroncosGirl]
01-10-05, 03:21 PM
hope the pricing isn't too bad

It'd probs be around the same at Suncorp maybe :confused:

DIEHARD
01-10-05, 03:23 PM
If anyone has seen an empty English soccer stadium, they spell out the club name with the seats. This would look awesome at Robina, blue and sand coloured seats spelling GOLD COAST.

http://www.soccerstadiums.homestead.com/files/solight09.JPG

True it would look great.

But remember Queensland stadiums tend to have multicoloured seating.

Dairy Farmers, Gabba and Lang Park. It is possible that the Robina Stadium will follow suit, although I'd prefer standard colouring, preferably in team colours.

ridgey
01-10-05, 03:36 PM
the stadium looks awesome and hopefully with a packed house each time the Titans play should become a real fortress for opposing teams.and i'll be able to catch the train right to the front door!

usually the govt goes for the coloured seats so when the stadium isn't full it still looks like it is on t.v.

Shadow XL
02-10-05, 07:08 AM
bad news, my mum chucked out paper before i could get to it :(

mightybears
03-10-05, 09:10 AM
Far better than CC stadium the supposed jewel in the Bears crown :D

move on cliffy