PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Bennett says NO to Titans

GT_Titan
31-03-06, 04:14 PM
I just heard on the radio (Sea fm), that Wayne Bennet was quoted at a Gold Coast seminar, as saying the Titans should not have been accepted into the NRL. He believes it should have been Perth or Adelaide.

To me it sounds like old Benny is scared of us already. He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!

mb63
31-03-06, 04:21 PM
Bennett has got to be joking.To consider SA or WA ahead of Gold Coast would have been ridiculous.

DIEHARD
31-03-06, 05:18 PM
That is ridiculous. That is shocking. That is so far out of touch it is scary. Those are fighting words!

He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!

I couldn't agree with anything more.

Perth or Adelaide? Come on!

Those are ridiculous suggestions. I could stomach it if he said New Zealand, 2nd Brisbane or Central Coast. Those other two are no sooner than 10 years away, 10 years of hard work and investment.

The AFL wants SEQLD and we are finally defending our territory and nurturing it. Finally we are on the front foot and not reacting.

Gold Coast is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia in many years.

Queenslander
31-03-06, 05:32 PM
I just heard on the radio (Sea fm), that Wayne Bennet was quoted at a Gold Coast seminar, as saying the Titans should not have been accepted into the NRL. He believes it should have been Perth or Adelaide.

To me it sounds like old Benny is scared of us already. He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!

Im not believing anything until I get an official statement of fact......... If he did in fact say it at a Gold Coast seminar Im sure it was a joke......he ain't a fool :thumbsup:

The Original Idiot
31-03-06, 05:51 PM
Ye Gods.

The Broncos never cease to amaze me off-field.

Titan John
31-03-06, 06:37 PM
Im not believing anything until I get an official statement of fact......... If he did in fact say it at a Gold Coast seminar Im sure it was a joke......he ain't a fool :thumbsup:

Agreed, I think some need to rediscover their sense of humour somewhat. Bennett provides us with some controversial ideas and opinions to consider from time to time, but I very much doubt that he either a) made this alleged statement, or b) expressed it in the context that some here are insinuating. In other words, he was taking the proverbial excrement.

That is ridiculous. That is shocking. That is so far out of touch it is scary. Those are fighting words!

This is one topic that I feel compelled to comment on. Call me a turncoat, disloyal, or whatever you choose, but I was once a Brisbane supporter. A reasonably keen one too I must admit. However, I always maintained that should the Coast regain a position in the elite premiership, I would switch my allegance. This is primarily due to hometown reasons and wanting a team in which I would be able to inject higher levels of commitment into. This is nothing against the Broncos. It was always going to be the case, and the horses shall remain one of my favourite teams.

This is why statements such as 'fighting' and previous posts on this forum about a bitter rivalry between the clubs is a bit sad in my view. I don't know about others, but I shall be right behind all 3 (yes 3 now, and hopefully more to come) Queensland clubs as they do battle with the Southerners.

It's also interesting to see how the extreme vast majority of Brisbane supporters have applauded the Titans' inclusion and many have adopted the club as their 2nd or 3rd team, jumbled with the Cows of course. It's great to see them backing their fellow statesmen with such enthusiansm.

It seems this hate and rivialry that I sense a few fans of this club is currently a one way street. "We" hate the Broncos (for whatever reason), but they love us. My view is that it makes us appear immature and past-dwellers, which is saddening.

A bright new era is about to come to life for Queensland football, and I know i'll be right behind the Cows and Broncs in games not invloving us in trying to bring the trophy back to God's country. I'd prefer to leave the petty 'hate for the sake of hating' to Sydney clubs.

Regards,
Johnno.

Queenslander
31-03-06, 06:48 PM
This is one topic that I feel compelled to comment on. Call me a turncoat, disloyal, or whatever you choose, but I was once a Brisbane supporter. A reasonably keen one too I must admit. However, I always maintained that should the Coast regain a position in the elite premiership, I would switch my allegance. This is primarily due to hometown reasons and wanting a team in which I would be able to inject higher levels of commitment into. This is nothing against the Broncos. It was always going to be the case, and the horses shall remain one of my favourite teams.

This is why statements such as 'fighting' and previous posts on this forum about a bitter rivalry between the clubs is a bit sad in my view. I don't know about others, but I shall be right behind all 3 (yes 3 now, and hopefully more to come) Queensland clubs as they do battle with the Southerners.

It's also interesting to see how the extreme vast majority of Brisbane supporters have applauded the Titans' inclusion and many have adopted the club as their 2nd or 3rd team, jumbled with the Cows of course. It's great to see them backing their fellow statesmen with such enthusiansm.

It seems this hate and rivialry that I sense a few fans of this club is currently a one way street. "We" hate the Broncos (for whatever reason), but they love us. My view is that it makes us appear immature and past-dwellers, which is saddening.

A bright new era is about to come to life for Queensland football, and I know i'll be right behind the Cows and Broncs in games not invloving us in trying to bring the trophy back to God's country. I'd prefer to leave the petty 'hate for the sake of hating' to Sydney clubs.

:thumbsup: I agree with you mate, there should only be friendly rivarly between each of the Queensland clubs. Im happy to go to the Broncos vs Cowboys game and see the Cowboys win.....why? Cause its for the greater good.......Titans fans calling for the blood of the Broncos to be drained to empty are not thinking rather clearly (end extreme hyperbole) :laugh:. I am sure that 99.9% of Broncos fans are happy that the Titans are in the NRL. Titans fans must make sure that they don't make enemies with neighbours. We dont want to have situations similar to the problems that the Bulldogs have ;)

Ye Gods.

The Broncos never cease to amaze me off-field.

:ok: Its amazing that the Broncos bashers come out of the woodwork so quickly. Bennett's "claims" have yet to be verified so you shouldn't be making statements similar to the above.

DeeGan
31-03-06, 06:56 PM
A media beat up - the source being SeaFM? :laugh:

If anything, it is simply some well chosen words from Bennett stirring the pot - nothing more. Bring it on in 2007! :D

Dragons
31-03-06, 07:04 PM
:ok: Its amazing that the Broncos bashers come out of the woodwork so quickly. Bennett's "claims" have yet to be verified so you shouldn't be making statements similar to the above.[/QUOTE]

I dont think it Bonco bashers at all, I think it the way the Boncos have handle thing like always bagging the NswRL (That what they keep saying), Us against them attitude. When ya got Bennett who owns a percentage of the Boncos and he the coach as well (not saying he a bad coach) I beleive that part of the problem.
Cant wait till Sunday was gunna pick the Boncos in my footy tips but changed my mind. :D

DIEHARD
31-03-06, 07:09 PM
Didn't the Broncos play a major hand in the demise of the Crushers and Gold Coast to the detriment of rugby league in Queensland? SEQLD Exclusivity contract?

I think I can reserve the right for a bit of dislike. :box:

Besides I think a healthy and passionate rivalry is what rugby league needs in southern QLD.

Most people will follow all three teams though, including myself, but the Broncos will be #3. :D

It's going to be fantastic for rugby league.

As DeeGan said bring on 2007. It's all good. We are here and nothing will ever take us away.

DeeGan
31-03-06, 07:10 PM
As DeeGan said bring on 2007. It's all good. We are here and nothing will ever take us away.

Hey-ya! There's the spirit :D

Titan John
31-03-06, 07:31 PM
Didn't the Broncos play a major hand in the demise of the Crushers and Gold Coast to the detriment of rugby league in Queensland? SEQLD Exclusivity contract?

I think I can reserve the right for a bit of dislike. :box:

Besides I think a healthy and passionate rivalry is what rugby league needs in southern QLD.

Most people will follow all three teams though, including myself, but the Broncos will be #3. :D

It's going to be fantastic for rugby league.

Evening Diehard,

I respect your stance. May I offer my alternate opinion.

You see, that's the thing. At present, no matter how much some of our fans build it up, there is no rivalry. At least in the sense in which you are suggesting.

You cannot have a "healthy and passionate rivalry" when its only coming from one direction. In 2007, you'll find Broncos supporters from all over the place cheering the Titans (and the Cowboys) on, and taking a very keen interest in how we fair in each week of the season.

Talk of past events (Splitting of the premiership, clubs culled) and people (Ribot, Richardson) of a decade ago as a reason for what I see as bitter hate is all well and good if that's what you want out of your football, but I wonder just how our anti-Brisbane fans propose to build such a rivalry when it is so dramatically one sided?

We talk about the health of Queensland football and wanting it to prosper, yet its our fans calling for the blood of the Broncos and Broncos/Cowboys fans appluading our inclusion and keen to see us do well, which will benefit Queensland footy greatly. Ironic?

As Queenslander has stated, a good friendly "rivalry" (if you can call it that) on game day when we face off is great by all means, but with our situation in Queensland I think the serious and petty hate between our State's clubs is something that should be left to the Roaches.

And, if anthing, I believe our two clubs for the meantime need to get working with each other to eliminate a much more aggresive problem:

AFL, as you've mentioned.

Regards,
Johnno.

[BroncosGirl]
31-03-06, 08:55 PM
Hahahah did he really say that? Im confused?

If he did, that sets up the rivalry nicely :p (And if he DID say WA or SA, well i think he means to spread the game :p)

If he didnt say it then still - Bring on the Broncos vs GC clashes, I can't wait already :D

DIEHARD
31-03-06, 09:48 PM
Yea either way they will be massive, if the clashes of the mid 90s is anything to go by.

Titan John
01-04-06, 06:41 AM
And hopefully bumper crowds too. Am I right in saying that Brisbane-Gold Coast clashes hold the ground record at either sides home venue (or former home venue) for regular season games? Something like 55,000 at QE2 and 22,000 at Cararra?

GT_Titan
01-04-06, 10:53 AM

The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Bennett-wants-one-player-outside-NRL-cap/2006/03/31/1143441329470.html)
March 31, 2006 - 5:40PM
Bennett told a sports function at the Sofitel Hotel on the Gold Coast.
Meanwhile, Bennett took a swipe at the NRL for granting the 16th license to the Gold Coast Titans, saying a team should've been established in Perth or Adelaide first.
He said the "best model in the world is sitting at our doorstep in the AFL", which has spent millions developing the game in NSW and Queensland.
"It's great for the Gold Coast but it's not good for rugby league," he said about the Titans, who will start playing in the NRL next year.
"Rugby league needs to be in the other states. We're going to the Gold Coast where we'll be preaching to the converted."

Sorry Queenslander but he did actually say it. And I got to say, he was a brave man saying that in front of a Gold Coast audience.

Eel 33
01-04-06, 11:26 AM
Brave man, hope he chokes on his words when the Titans belt the drongos at their first meeting.

shavenjas
01-04-06, 01:39 PM

How could Wayne Bennet be scared of a club that has not even taken to the field yet, that has not even signed enough players to field a touch football side. give your self a slap!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

[BroncosGirl]
01-04-06, 03:11 PM
Well it doesn't particulary sound like hes scared of GC just a man set in his ways - he wants to spread NRl as far as he can, and fair enough, but hes too stubborn, because trying to spread league to Adelaide and WA, would be a very difficult job.

Helen
01-04-06, 03:38 PM
Ok I will say it..

If he wants a team in another state then let the Broncos move. :peace:

Just joking :)

Helen

Go_The_Doggies
01-04-06, 04:14 PM
Hmm...i sopose you cant really blame him, but then look at all the nsw team's there is.

Id rather another team come over here then go to perth or adelaide.

[BroncosGirl]
01-04-06, 05:07 PM
Ok I will say it..

If he wants a team in another state then let the Broncos move. :peace:

Just joking :)

Helen

Yes, Im sure that would make a lot of sense, with all the supporters we have here :p Hehehe! Lucky you're joking lol :D

Dakink
01-04-06, 06:24 PM
Typical Broncos - want their SE QLD monopoly.

They deserve to be bashed.

Helen
02-04-06, 06:10 AM
']Yes, Im sure that would make a lot of sense, with all the supporters we have here :p Hehehe! Lucky you're joking lol :D

I couldn't resist that one. I was in that sort of mood yesterday. I am cured today.. :D

Helen

lonegull
02-04-06, 09:10 AM
Bennett might be worried the broncos might have a bit of competition could be a little scary for wayne go the titans

Queenslander
02-04-06, 10:13 AM
Now I didnt agree with what Bennett said, the Titans are a good thing for Queensland Rugby League and Rugby League in general.

But in the context of the subject it made sense.....He was talking about how the AFL model could apply to Rugby League....Put more funding into each state to help build up juniors, so that by the time they mature they have at least on club in their state to aim for. So in theory the best players of each state will get into the club. E.g. The best players in Queensland AFL will go to the Lions, and the best players from Perth can aim for either Western Australia's two teams.

To Bennett credit he is trying to help create a National Rugby League. His ideals for this national comp include Perth or Adeilade, which I agree with. But I would also like more Queensland and another New Zealand team thrown into the mix.....This will of course mean the loss or relocation of some New South Wales clubs.

Now that is my two-cents on what little info we have about his comments. I think alot of people have seen Bennett's name and then the headline "Bennett's says no to Titans". And jumped to some many conclusions and brought out the Bronco Bashers ;)

And Bennett scared of a team that isnt in the competition yet :lol!: I did my homework and found some comments Bennett had about the Gold Coast team from the a recent Q&A in the Sunday Mail.

Has the rise of the Cowboys in recent years put extra pressure on the Broncos? Do you think the emerging rivalry is good for the code in Queensland?

There's always been a rivalry there. Everytime we've played them up there they have played their hearts out in front of a packed house. It's been there for more than 10 years, so I dislike this talk of a rivalry. They have been very tough to beat all the way through, and the Titans will be the same when we start playing them. The old Gold Coast used to push us all the way then go back to sleep for three months after they threw everything at us.

How do you think the Titans will go?

Well, they are in now so it will be interesting to see how they go.

It doesnt really sound like the words of a scared man now does it ;)

DeeGan
02-04-06, 11:25 AM
It doesnt really sound like the words of a scared man now does it ;)

Nope, why would you be scared of a team with only 8 players at this point? :lol!:

We as a club have nothing to lose when taking on the Brisbane Broncos (or North Queensland Cowboys) in the early years where our more fancied rivals do when it comes to the outcome of the contest. We as a club on and off the field are a concern for both the Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys (more off field early on perhaps) and if would be naive to think that a Brisbane or Cowbosy official would concede that point in this life-time.

Bennett is helping spark the fire that was snuffed out at the end of the 1998 season - more credit to him, it makes for an interesting contest from 2007 onwards :D

Steve Dangerous
02-04-06, 12:17 PM
Bennett's always been against having the titans in the comp, so i don't think this is too far out of the ordinary.

but with storm still struggling to make an impact on the general vic population, i think it would be silly to ignore such a strong league area like the gold coast to jump back into SA and WA.

The Original Idiot
02-04-06, 01:57 PM
Jesus, what is it with QLD football coaches trying to stir the pot and create some sort of drama? First Bleiberg, now Bennett (if he is simply just stirring the pot).

I feel that AFL needs to be stamped out of Queensland before anything like this occurs. It's bad for the game. *sighs* If only we had the money AFL had...

shavenjas
02-04-06, 05:31 PM
Bennett might be worried the broncos might have a bit of competition could be a little scary for wayne go the titans
And you guys reckon my posts are stupid!!!!!!!!

Dakink
02-04-06, 06:17 PM
And you guys reckon my posts are stupid!!!!!!!!

No - yours are just repetitive.... :rotflmao:

Dragons
02-04-06, 06:24 PM
Well he quoeted that he thought it should have gone to another team some where else, that's what I read (scared) back door benny, but I want to be the Queensland man. Bring on State of Origin, go the Blues :mine:

Cliffy GC
02-04-06, 06:41 PM

and i get shouted down when i say how much i hate the broncos and want to see them suffer this is why

shavenjas
02-04-06, 06:51 PM
No - yours are just repetitive.... :rotflmao:
No my posts are what i think and one day Dakink will give us an opinion of her own instead of just going with the general flow of Titans supporters.

Dakink
02-04-06, 07:25 PM
No my posts are what i think and one day Dakink will give us an opinion of her own instead of just going with the general flow of Titans supporters.

:nope: :nope:

Going with the flow of Titans supporters?

Try reading back through some threads sweet heart ;-)

[BroncosGirl]
02-04-06, 10:17 PM
Typical Broncos - want their SE QLD monopoly.

They deserve to be bashed.

I am shocked an appauled by this post :mad: Do I deserve to be based? :p lol

The Original Idiot
03-04-06, 03:14 PM
Dakink is a man. I assure you he has not gone with the flow of Titans supporters, even in this very thread where most people are trying not to be critical of Bennett and the Broncos whereas Dakink is saying 'they should be bashed'. While I think comments such as Bennett's are a disgrace to sport in general, that statement is a little excessive. I too dislike the Broncos for their monopoly in SEQLD but would not go that far.

Dakink
03-04-06, 03:24 PM
']I am shocked an appauled by this post :mad: Do I deserve to be based? :p lol

Metaphorically speaking of course!!!! Sorry poor choice of words from me there.

I didnt mean physically, I meant cyberically (I invented that word;-)

The Original Idiot
03-04-06, 03:44 PM
When you say the word bash, the general intended meaning is to beat up physically. If you explain the context of your remark, incidents like these won't happen. OK?

Steve Dangerous
03-04-06, 04:02 PM
cmon guv, it's clear it's a joke. :)

The Original Idiot
03-04-06, 04:08 PM
Unless notification is provided, I am in doubt as to whether a statement is a joke or not.

DIEHARD
03-04-06, 04:09 PM
I think it is obvious that Dakink used the word "bash" in the non-violence sense.

When I think of the word BASH and relate it to rugby league and internet forums. I think of criticise.

In fact the phrase Bronco/Bennett bashing or Bronco/Bennett basher regularly slips off my tongue. It's part of the territory up here.

Please don't take offence at it. He didn't mean for Broncos fans to be physically harmed. But I don't think Dakink has to leave a disclaimer for the word. I think to most people it was obvious which definition he meant and in what spirit it was said in.

TITANS007
06-04-06, 11:19 AM
I am extremely happy, glad, excited, etc that the Gold Coast was picked as the destination for a new NRL team........... HOWEVER........... Why is it that NRL is so confined to QLD and NSW? NZ and Melbourne (Canberra too if you want to get picky!) are the only other teams involved in the NRL. We all know how fantastic this game is, why is it not spreading to NT, WA, TAS, and SA?? Personally I'd like to see NRL become Australia wide + NZ.

The Original Idiot
06-04-06, 06:42 PM
^ Unfortunately there is simply not enough money in RL. While Union and AFL are cashed up, we do not have the funds they have so expansion can only happen after much consideration (Exhibit A: Look at how long it took the GC to get back in the NRL).

Remember, we had 20 teams in '95 and we all know what happened from then on.

[BroncosGirl]
06-04-06, 07:14 PM
When I think of the word BASH and relate it to rugby league and internet forums. I think of criticise.

In fact the phrase Bronco/Bennett bashing or Bronco/Bennett basher regularly slips off my tongue. It's part of the territory up here.

Oooh true, I never thought about that, yet I've heard it so much latley!!

Its ok Dakink, I knew you didn't really want to bash them or me lol!

~Wild Child~
10-04-06, 08:07 PM
I am extremely happy, glad, excited, etc that the Gold Coast was picked as the destination for a new NRL team........... HOWEVER........... Why is it that NRL is so confined to QLD and NSW? NZ and Melbourne (Canberra too if you want to get picky!) are the only other teams involved in the NRL. We all know how fantastic this game is, why is it not spreading to NT, WA, TAS, and SA?? Personally I'd like to see NRL become Australia wide + NZ.I too would look forward to the day that NRL goes Australia wide.I think that all states should be a part of this elite sport.
Just on another note-As a Broncos supporter, I am really happy for the Titans emergence to the NRL, and it would be crappy for Titans and Bronco supporters to clash as the Bulldogs supporters have done.

Dakink
10-04-06, 08:08 PM
CAnt see the two clashing, any time I have been to Suncorp the fans have been nothing but fantastic.

Steelers
10-04-06, 08:11 PM
CAnt see the two clashing, any time I have been to Suncorp the fans have been nothing but fantastic.

You couldn't say the same thing 10 years back... he went to a Parra vs Broncos game at ANZ wearing a Parra jersey and got pelted with bottles and food by Broncos supporters while holding a 3 year old child (me :p). Luckily it doesn't happen now.

DIEHARD
10-04-06, 08:14 PM
I don't think Titans fans and Broncos fans will ever clash let alone on the scale of other clubs or sports.

I think Broncos and Titans fans alike will follow and wish the best for the other team but head to head we will see a passionate and healthy rivalry.

Also I think most of the core Titans fans and core Broncos fans will be friends or have connections, so I don't think there will ever be a chance for problems to develop.

It'll be great fun for both sets of fans.

~Wild Child~
10-04-06, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=DIEHARD]I don't think Titans fans and Broncos fans will ever clash let alone on the scale of other clubs or sports.

I think Broncos and Titans fans alike will follow and wish the best for the other team but head to head we will see a passionate and healthy rivalry.

Also I think most of the core Titans fans and core Broncos fans will be friends or have connections, so I don't think there will ever be a chance for problems to develop.

It'll be great fun for both sets of fans.[/QU Could'nt agree more...Double the fun.

Lennox Titan
31-10-06, 10:40 PM
Bennett at it again!- Titans entry "will hurt us"

Audio here http://audio.isg.si/audiox/?q=user/5016/track

Is this guy the full quid? he would make a good politician with the amount of garbage he spews out. The Gold Coast are a waste of time? what he actually means is The Broncos and thier shareholders are concerned with how popular the Titans will become. They are worried thier Brisbane monopoly will be diminished (which it will). Since anyone with half a brain can figure out his hidden agendas he may as well just come out and say what he means. Disguising it as though he wants the Rams back in is laughable.

On his previous comments of the Titans "preaching to the converted" going by that logic then Brisbane, Canberra, North Qld etc would never be in the competition because they have always been popular league areas.

According to Ken Arthurson's book the Broncos did play a role in the demise of the Crushers and no doubt Bennett will continue with his agenda against the Titans. Nothing much to worry about though because the sheer amount of support will ensure our survival long term.

As for the Hughes comments, Titans will be producing plenty of thier own juniors from previously neglected areas such as the Northern Rivers so its not an issue.

Steve
31-10-06, 11:33 PM
It's a nice idea to have teams in every state, but there's just no player base to support it. Build up the competitions, have state vs state, play them against the lower grades in NSW and QLD, let the local players build experience. A bloated NRL team is just going to topple over without a strong base. As much as the NRL would like to claim success when they play a SoO game or international in another state and they get a packed stadium, they ignore the number of people from NSW and QLD who are flying interstate to attend.

As for rivalry, it's not a bad thing. A bit of a local derby can be great.
And not every Titans supporter is a Broncos supporter anyhow. I know for me, I go for whoever's playing the Broncos. (Unless it's the Roosters, then I hope they both manage to lose). And plenty of people in SEQ don't follow the Broncos, which is why the Titans is such a great thing, it gives them a local team to follow!

ssaamm
01-11-06, 08:49 AM
there deffinately should be a gold coast team, but I also think there should be an adelaide team and a perth team, be good to have the game australia wide.

Pale Ale Panther
01-11-06, 09:16 AM
As a Penrith fan who lives in Brizz, i am not a fan of the Bronc's or the Titans, Brisbane however are a verry well run, cut-throat organisation, if you come anywhere near there area, weather that be in the region, mercendising, player pool, you Will get burned, i have seen the Crushers and all the pre Titans Coast sides fall by the wayside, IMO i do think the Titans will end up the same, the Broncos will do everything in there powers to protect there intrests and if that means undermining the Titans then so be it. they now have the history and the ear of the NRL, Mr Tallis is on the board, and he and the Broncs are still verry close.
if the Titans, do not make an immidate impact in the NRL, ie, the top 6 in either 07 or 08 they can kiss it all goodbye, don't get me wrong, i would love to see the Titans stick around for ever, i went to all bar 1 of the Giants first year, and alot of games between then and now.

All the best to you Titans fans, but i fear the worst for you. :)

DIEHARD
01-11-06, 12:51 PM

Bring it.

lonegull
01-11-06, 01:14 PM
As a Penrith fan who lives in Brizz, i am not a fan of the Bronc's or the Titans, Brisbane however are a verry well run, cut-throat organisation, if you come anywhere near there area, weather that be in the region, mercendising, player pool, you Will get burned, i have seen the Crushers and all the pre Titans Coast sides fall by the wayside, IMO i do think the Titans will end up the same, the Broncos will do everything in there powers to protect there intrests and if that means undermining the Titans then so be it. they now have the history and the ear of the NRL, Mr Tallis is on the board, and he and the Broncs are still verry close.
if the Titans, do not make an immidate impact in the NRL, ie, the top 6 in either 07 or 08 they can kiss it all goodbye, don't get me wrong, i would love to see the Titans stick around for ever, i went to all bar 1 of the Giants first year, and alot of games between then and now.

agree is some certain ways i cant agree with you on the titans not making the top 6 in either 07 or 08 they can kiss it goodbye, the titans will be here to stay in the nrl for a long time this organsiation has put in a lot of hard work to ensure the sustainability and the longivity of the club, the titans have the support of the nrl, the titans dont forget had to meet the criteria set by the nrl to get accepted

Pale Ale Panther
01-11-06, 07:04 PM
agree is some certain ways i cant agree with you on the titans not making the top 6 in either 07 or 08 they can kiss it goodbye, the titans will be here to stay in the nrl for a long time this organsiation has put in a lot of hard work to ensure the sustainability and the longivity of the club, the titans have the support of the nrl, the titans dont forget had to meet the criteria set by the nrl to get accepted

glad you agree with some of it, :) so are you saying the previous Coast teams didn't work hard enough ? :fence: as for that word "criteria" the Bears also met that criteria, and they are ?????????? Sucess is the key if you guys can get into the top 6 in the next couple of years, then there is no drama, if it the same old Coast, then i'll only get to watch the Mighty Black Panthers play up here once a year again ! :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:

travis burch
01-11-06, 10:42 PM
I slightly agree with Bennett, the NRL should look at expanding in to SA and WA, and the AFL has done a good job at expanding it's game.

BUT...

A team from SA or WA shouldn't be at the expense of a Gold Coast team. Queensland needs at least 3 teams, and there are the people to support it.

Let's face it the NRL were given 4 options- another NZ team, a team that would sit in the vast geographic area between Sydney and Newcastle, the Titans, and no team at all. There wasn't an option for the SA or WA.

jake86
02-11-06, 12:07 AM
There's far too much talent in SEQ not to have a second team. The current gold coast side has a great base to build a future off of, both on and off field. I think if we dont get in the top 6 within our first two years, that doesnt mean we wont be a success in the long run. Our current team has plenty of youth within, and that coupled with the fact we have a huge junior player base, should see us have a long, successful future.

I would say, with the 'holiday' nature of the gold coast, that the main worry is not lack of talent, but the distractions off field as our main conern. However, we have some of the best off field staff in the business in Searle, Johnstone, Gillmeister that will hopefully ensure it wont happen

Another thing......look at how hard searle and co fought to get a team on the coast. From memory the nrl pretty gave the previous frachises on GC a team, and players viewed it as somewhat of a retirment village. This time we are commited to building a long term competitive team on the coast

PROMETHEUS
02-11-06, 08:52 AM

Lucky for you that Penriff dont get put under that criteria otherwise you would be watching premier league at St.Marys :noidea:

travop
02-11-06, 01:43 PM

hes a wise guy and maybe they should off moved ova their but we would of been taken ova by afl

Pale Ale Panther
02-11-06, 07:26 PM
Lucky for you that Penriff dont get put under that criteria otherwise you would be watching premier league at St.Marys :noidea:

With our Leagues club ??? no chance !
:hi: :fence: :) :)

PROMETHEUS
02-11-06, 11:09 PM
You could have the biggest leagues club in the world,but if the CRITERIA is to make top 6 and you fail then its the drop to the lower divisions (according to you.) :ok:

Satint
03-11-06, 10:25 AM
The Broncos are the reason we were kicked out of the competition before... the reason teams like Crushers Bears and Reds were kicked out as well. All these teams deserved to still be in the comp. They do nothing for good of the game everything is about what is good for the Broncos. Bennett is a hypocrite of the highest order and I have nothing but hate for his club. I hope we smash the Broncos every single time we play them and will feel shattered if we don't. No friendly rivalry from me just pure hate for the scum of the league. Long live the GOLD COAST TITANS!

Pale Ale Panther
03-11-06, 12:45 PM
You could have the biggest leagues club in the world,but if the CRITERIA is to make top 6 and you fail then its the drop to the lower divisions (according to you.) :ok:

Ahh, you got the wrong idea, if Penrith finish outside the top 6 in the next 2 years thats ok because we have been in the comp for 40yrs now, but a new team, ie, Titans need to make an impact or big brother up the freeway will squash them like they have done before. :noidea: :noidea:

hugebrianfan
04-11-06, 12:09 PM
oh come on how stupid is that??!! Gold coast titans are a new team starting and they need a coach that will lift them of their feet and help them in 2007!!

bigjim
07-11-06, 11:07 AM
The Broncos are the reason we were kicked out of the competition before... the reason teams like Crushers Bears and Reds were kicked out as well. All these teams deserved to still be in the comp. They do nothing for good of the game everything is about what is good for the Broncos. Bennett is a hypocrite of the highest order and I have nothing but hate for his club. I hope we smash the Broncos every single time we play them and will feel shattered if we don't. No friendly rivalry from me just pure hate for the scum of the league. Long live the GOLD COAST TITANS!

I have to question the motivation for such hate when the players themselves respect players from other clubs and have no ill feelings towards those players, yet a fan who just watches the game can get so aggressive.
It's a game afterall :)

TitanBronco
08-11-06, 02:48 AM
Well Benny does have a sense of humor after all.

Coaster
08-11-06, 07:17 PM
I have to question the motivation for such hate when the players themselves respect players from other clubs and have no ill feelings towards those players, yet a fan who just watches the game can get so aggressive.
It's a game afterall :)

Pretty simply really, the difference is, that the players get to play for another club if they are good enough, the supporters have there right to watch RL in there city, follow a team and live in a city with the local clubs having juniors developing for there own side taking away from them becuase of a company.

People dont hate the players in the Broncos, people hate the company the Broncos. The "who gives a sh#t about them" attitude from there directors and some of there supporters is disgraceful.

Bring on 2007 i say, that first game against them at Carrara will be earth shattering.

[BroncosGirl]
08-11-06, 07:33 PM

What a load of rubbish.

Satint
09-11-06, 07:58 PM
']What a load of rubbish.

How would you know you have had a team to support for the last 8 years. The Broncos are the worst thing to ever happen to league in Australia and I will hate them as an organisation till the day.. they die. Hopefully oneday the ARL gain control over the game again and give them the raw end of the deal like they did us. Gold Coast for an exclusive south east queensland spot would be my vote. I'm counting the days till next season and as I have been supporting anyone who plays against the Broncos for the last 8 years. Except this season I'll have 2 teams the Titans.. and who ever is playing the Broncos.