PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Eyes on Maroon hopefuls

Queenslander
31-03-06, 11:23 AM
Eyes on Maroon hopefuls
Mick Daly

March 31, 2006

QUEENSLAND selectors will tonight run their eye over a host of State of Origin candidates when North Queensland takes on the Eels at Parramatta Stadium.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris yesterday confirmed he would join fellow selectors Alan Smith and Gene Miles in the stands at Parramatta Stadium, with several Origin hopefuls to come under scrutiny.

Of particular interest to the trio will be the performances of Eels dummy-half P. J Marsh and Cowboys forwards Shane Tronc and Carl Webb.

Marsh and Tronc missed selection in a preliminary 26-man Queensland squad named in February, and Webb is playing only his second NRL match of the season after spending the opening two weeks in the Queensland Cup.

Morris said the selectors had not forgotten about Marsh, who played three Origins for Queensland in 2002 and 2003 before a serious neck injury almost forced him into retirement.

He said Marsh was outstanding for Parramatta last season and he had been impressed with his efforts off the bench against the Broncos last week despite playing in a losing side.

While Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith and injured Cowboy Aaron Payne also had strong claims for the No. 9 jersey, Marsh was well in contention for a recall.

"It will be interesting to see how P. J goes," Morris said. "He's certainly a contender. He did a great job for us a few years ago.

"He adds a lot of sharpness to the Eels around the middle whenever he goes on so we are looking forward to watching him in action."

Morris said the hot early season form of the Cowboys ensured several of their players were under the selection microscope.

With question marks over Queensland's front-row depth, Morris said the selectors were keen to monitor the progress of Tronc and Webb.

Webb has played six matches for the Maroons while Tronc is yet to make his debut.

"It's nice just to see them in the flesh and watch how they go from the stands," he said.

"Tronc hasn't been going too badly. He's a little bit deceptive. He tends to make a lot more yardage than you think.

"Webb has been there before and gone OK but he hasn't played much footy in the NRL this year. It's still a fair way off but both guys are in the mix."

The selectors will also attend four other games ? Sharks vs Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles vs Roosters, Storm vs Tigers and Dragons vs Broncos ? over the weekend to gauge the form of available Queenslanders.

Morris said while the season was still young, the selectors were looking for players who were firing consistently at club level.

"You want guys who will go the extra yard and do all those little things that often go unnoticed," he said.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray yesterday pulled a surprise by confirming hooker hooker David Faiumu would play against the Eels.

The Kiwi Test star was not included in an 18-man Cowboys squad named on Tuesday because of a groin problem but Murray said he had overcome the injury.

In a major blow, centre Paul Bowman (neck/back) was yesterday ruled out of the Cowboys' line-up, with interchange back-rower Justin Smith his likely replacement.

Rookie Gavin Cooper, originally named 18th man, comes on to the bench.

The Eels smashed North Queensland 50-12 in round 9 at Parramatta Stadium last year but Murray said that match had not been discussed at training this week.

He was wary of the Eels even though they had won just one game this season.

"They are always hard to beat," he said.

"They've got some great players and I thought they were pretty good against the Broncos. I don't think the end result (30-10) was a fair indicator of the game."

The Courier Mail

Eel 33
01-04-06, 12:05 PM
Marsh is gone for a month, some form of ligament damage. Doubt he would be match fit for origin anyway.

shavenjas
03-04-06, 10:56 AM
I think Steven Bell the Manly centre has got to get a shot for the Maroons this year he is in fantastic form.

Dakink
03-04-06, 10:57 AM
Bell and Hodges in the centres?

Would be good up against Gaz and Cooper.

shavenjas
03-04-06, 11:01 AM
Bell and Hodges in the centres?

Would be good up against Gaz and Cooper.
yeah Hodges is in great form as well, he has just never had any luck in origin yet, he has had some shockers for QLD as well as injuries but i think this might be his year to turn that around, i hope he gets a go.

DeeGan
03-04-06, 11:26 AM
Steve Bell and Justin Hodges have to be the Origin pairing for Queensland - I think Mal will pick his side on form with the selectors and these two are well ahead of Berrigan (off the boil since late last season), Bowman, Tonga and Hannay. Ty Williams was looking good for one wing or centre spot though he is out until mid season.

Justin Hodges is looking awesome, the best he has looked since making his Origin debut. He looks fit, a yard or two quicker and still has his reknown strength to shrug off the would be defender.

Bell and Hodges bring some size to the backline which I think is imperitive this series given we are again going to shaping up to guys like Gasnier, Cooper, Grothe, King etc.

shavenjas
03-04-06, 11:31 AM
Steve Bell and Justin Hodges have to be the Origin pairing for Queensland - I think Mal will pick his side on form with the selectors and these two are well ahead of Berrigan (off the boil since late last season), Bowman, Tonga and Hannay. Ty Williams was looking good for one wing or centre spot though he is out until mid season.

Justin Hodges is looking awesome, the best he has looked since making his Origin debut. He looks fit, a yard or two quicker and still has his reknown strength to shrug off the would be defender.

Bell and Hodges bring some size to the backline which I think is imperitive this series given we are again going to shaping up to guys like Gasnier, Cooper, Grothe, King etc.
Guess what Deeg i agree with ya 100% mate, the best i have ever seen hodges, he looks like he is out to prove a point this year. :thumbsup:

RIP
03-04-06, 08:37 PM
I think Steven Bell the Manly centre has got to get a shot for the Maroons this year he is in fantastic form.

You are not wrong He's my 1st chose 4 the centres GO BELL

Steelers
03-04-06, 08:39 PM
I think Slater will be in serious doubt for Origin 1 with this kicking incident he is involved in.

..::Coops::..
03-04-06, 09:52 PM
I think Slater will be in serious doubt for Origin 1 with this kicking incident he is involved in.

yep steelers, if he gets the 6 weeks, plus melbourne have a bye, he only has one game before origin selection. definately not gonna get fullback. also IF found guilty and i can add up properly - his return game will be against non other than cowboys and matty bwoen