PDA

View Full Version : Hectic schedule takes toll on Storm

Super Cronk
30-03-06, 10:53 AM
heraldsun.com.au

IT IS the travelling troupe of the NRL. In little more than six weeks Melbourne Storm has covered a staggering 17,000km.

Including trial matches in Ballina, Griffith and Toowoomba, as well as training camp on the Gold Coast, Storm has spent almost as much time out of Melbourne as it has at home.

In its opening three rounds it has tackled the two most gruelling road trips in the competition, opening its season in Auckland and then travelling to Townsville to face North Queensland Cowboys last weekend.

It faces another away game on Sunday, in Sydney against Wests Tigers, before a Round 5 bye.

It will then hike to Adelaide to play Penrith in Round 6, finally enjoying a home game in Round 7, against title favourite Newcastle.

With its home base at Olympic Park off limits during the Commonwealth Games, Storm had braced itself for the rigorous schedule.

But with a week to go before a much-needed breather, coach Craig Bellamy conceded the hectic campaign had begun to take its toll.

"It definitely starts to hit you, particularly the long trips we've had," Bellamy said.

"To play in Auckland and Townsville with a Sydney trip in between is a big ask.

"You basically lose a day travelling to and from those places.

"And not only does it take a bit out of you, it shortens your turnaround and preparation for the following week.

"We always knew that we would be on the road to start the year, but maybe exactly where we had to go could have been looked at a bit more closely."

By the time it has completed its duties in Sydney and Adelaide, Storm will have travelled almost 20,000km.

But Bellamy said he was not looking for excuses for his team, which was badly beaten by the Cowboys on Saturday.

"I saw no signs of fatigue in our preparation for the Cowboys," Bellamy said.

"We trained well and I expected us to play a lot better than we did.

"I think the bye is coming at a very good time for us.

"But we have another job to do this weekend and if we can pick this one up, we'll be in good shape."

Back-rower Ryan Hoffman said the team had made a policy of not complaining about the heavy schedule.

"In a normal season we travel every second weekend, so we are a bit used to it," Hoffman said.

"Before the season started we came up with the motto to play 'anyone, anywhere, anytime'. That's what we've lived by."

Storm's training staff has slanted much of its work toward player recovery.

Most ball sessions are short and sharp, and conditioning work has been reduced to a bare minimum.

"We have been doing a lot of cross-training stuff, rock climbing, swimming and cycle classes, just to break it up," winger Matt Geyer said.

"There is a lot of emphasis on hydration, hot and cold baths, just ensuring out bodies are right to go each week.

"It hasn't been easy, particularly for the guys with families. But the one blessing is having a lot of away games now means we will have a lot at home later in the year.

"If we can pick up our fair share of wins now, we should be right up there."

-----

poll: Do you think the draw could have been made a bit easier for the storm in the early rounds? (by easier i mean travel wise)

Dakink
30-03-06, 11:35 AM
Yup! I didnt realise how much travelling they had been doing.

Queenslander
30-03-06, 12:44 PM
Yeah the Storm have had it tough, but all this travel now means less travel in the later rounds, that would be especially good if they get a home final :)

Eel 33
30-03-06, 02:18 PM
After all the travelling, the bye would be most welcome. But with Olympic Park being off limits due to the Comm Games I don't think there was much that could be done. But it is true, a lot of the travelling has been done now, only games in Brisbane and Newcastle (if they occur) are the longest trips left. Not bad when you think about it though. Im sure the team would appreciate that fact though.

mb63
30-03-06, 04:10 PM
Been a big ask for the Storm but if they can escape with a win this week a
3-1 result going into the bye would be excellent.

Teegy
30-03-06, 04:32 PM
thats the price for playing so far away from the other teams. warriors have it tough to but they deal with it.

Dakink
30-03-06, 04:51 PM
thats the price for playing so far away from the other teams. warriors have it tough to but they deal with it.

but have the Warriors had 6 away games in a row?

..::Coops::..
30-03-06, 04:59 PM
tough! while all the travelling may have taken its toll on the storm, the draw couldn't really be made much better - even if all there 6 away games where in nsw, they stll would have to travel. an extra hour or two too nz and nth qld aint that bad.
stop complaining

mb63
30-03-06, 05:06 PM
No,this year they have had 1 home game & 2 away games all in New Zealand.

Super Cronk
30-03-06, 05:24 PM

Thats the price for having a NATIONAL competition ;)

Teegy
31-03-06, 09:49 AM

I could understand your arguemen if it was forced on them but they choose to take the training camp to the Coast, they accepted the offers to play away trail games instead of playing afew in country vic. it was all their choice. they cant control the darw which is the only thing i understand about your points of view. and over the 10 years warriors have been in the comp they have had some bad away runs.

Dakink
31-03-06, 11:15 AM
I could understand your arguemen if it was forced on them but they choose to take the training camp to the Coast, they accepted the offers to play away trail games instead of playing afew in country vic. it was all their choice. they cant control the darw which is the only thing i understand about your points of view. and over the 10 years warriors have been in the comp they have had some bad away runs.

Im talking 6 NRL games - have a look at the draw. Trial games are there own concern.

Teegy
31-03-06, 12:15 PM
the draw they only have 4 away in a row. then bye then one more away. but that was only because of the com games. instead of focusing on the bad how about remebering that in the run into the finals they will have alot more advantage by playing at home.

SuperCliffy#01
31-03-06, 12:31 PM
I am somewhat sceptical, we have football player earning hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, they fly either first or business class, and stay in very fine hotels and have all the comforts of home and in the end they are pampered to the enth degree and for what in the end they get onto the field to play no more than 60 minutes of football.

I was reading an account of a baseball player in the 30's when a road trip meant they actually travelled by road in some cases it took up to two days to travel to play a double header meaning two matches in the same day, and if they had the luxury to fly, they flew mostly on cargo planes to save money and sat on the floor of the plane, they were responsable for thier own laundry, meals and the they were booked into dorms and they would earn probably no more that one or two hundred dollars a year.

Yeah the modern player gets it pretty rough,NOT..cya.

Super Cronk
31-03-06, 12:45 PM
Well what they are getting paid has nothing to do with this topic at all.

Its about weather or not the draw could have been made easier for the storm so they didnt have to travel so far for their NRL games. The storm dont have a say where they play...the NRL does the draw and all that stuff.

Im not using it as an excuse for the loss vs cowboys...and i dont think its to bad because we get a good run towards the end of the season.

Dakink
31-03-06, 01:19 PM
Actually looking at the draw the Storm have a few two home one away sets of three then its back to home and away from about rd 18 or so.

Social Loafer
31-03-06, 02:32 PM
I thought apart from the marquee matches and specially placed games (e.g no storm home games during commonwealth games) the draw was completely random?