PDA

View Full Version : Cleal released to join Souths

DIEHARD
30-03-06, 07:41 AM
Cleal released to join Souths
March 29, 2006

SOUTH Sydney today signed Kane Cleal to a one-year deal after the young back rower was released by NRL rival Manly.

Cleal, whose father Noel is a former Sea Eagles great and now the club's recruitment manager, sought a release for the northern peninsula club in a bid to further his career.

The 22-year-old has been floundering in Premier League for the opening few rounds of the season, with the likes of representative trio Steve Menzies, Anthony Watmough and Ben Kennedy, as well as Luke Williamson, blocking his path to first grade.

Cleal played 14 top grade games for the Sea Eagles after debuting against Canberra in 2004.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said he had been a keen admirer of Cleal's ability in limited appearances, and was hopeful of extending his stay at the Rabbitohs beyond this season.

The club had sought to bring Cleal on board as cover for the injured Scott Geddes, who is expected to miss most of the season with a torn pectoral muscle.

Cleal will turn out for the Rabbitohs Premier League side when it meets the Sharks at Toyota Park on Saturday.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18643412-23214,00.html

DeeGan
30-03-06, 09:03 AM
It could work out really well for both parties - on the other hand, it may not. Cleal has not lived up to the expectations laid upon him when at Manly. There will be an interested observer or two watching him for Souths.

Titanium_BD1103
30-03-06, 10:13 AM
I think he wasn't given the chances a Manly.. he is a good player though... a bit rough but still good.

I say this from experience... I come from the High School that Kane went to and he is a local to our area. I saw Kane play for our school in Commonwealth and Aussie Home Loans Cup games and he was a talent but very raw and not really seen as a star of the future.

He has come in leaps and bounds since then with Parra and Manly but has gotten into a habit of getting involved in niggle in the ruck... if he can get rid of that and play well for Souths... then the possibilities are endless.. GOOD LUCK KANE.. :)

Dakink
30-03-06, 10:14 AM
Well with his father he has the pedigree to be a very good backrower....

Worth giving him a shot if I was the bunnies!!

Super Cronk
30-03-06, 10:58 AM
I think he will do much better at souths, not a bad player.

Eel 33
30-03-06, 02:22 PM
More first grade time will do him the world of good. Didn't get much of a run at either Parra or Manly, I think he might surprise some if he doesn't get involved in the niggle too often.