PDA

View Full Version : Origin: Who is the best halfback to have played at Origin level?

DeeGan
29-03-06, 09:06 AM
Origin: Who is the best halfback to have played Origin?

Simple thread, poll your vote and post your reasons why in this thread. Should make for some good debate and reading.

With the retirement of Andrew Johns from Origin football, this is a great time to ask the question. Look forward to reading the posts here.

Just to make it clear - when answering this poll, please keep this in mind...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE PLAYERS IMPACT AT ORIGIN LEVEL ONLY! Forget their Winfield Cup/NRL form, look soley at their impact on Origin level i.e. Who is the best halfback to have played Origin...perhaps I will chuck an 'AT' in there somewhere as well

Dakink
29-03-06, 10:00 AM
In my mind the great one and only A.Johns. There are some other great players - but none the class of Johns.

DeeGan
29-03-06, 10:05 AM
In my mind the great one and only A.Johns. There are some other great players - but none the class of Johns.

Geez - pretty HUGE statement to make, 'but none the class of Johns'.

I will give this some more thought looking at their records at this level, MOM awards, times played at halfback etc.

Queenslander
29-03-06, 10:26 AM
Allan Langer followed very closely by Sterling :thumbsup:

Steelers
29-03-06, 10:28 AM
A. Langer followed by A. Johns.

Dakink
29-03-06, 10:31 AM
Geez - pretty HUGE statement to make, 'but none the class of Johns'.

I will give this some more thought looking at their records at this level, MOM awards, times played at halfback etc.

Dont get me wrong - there a some all time great 7's there. I just think that we have been blessed to see the best 7 to strap on a pair of boots. My opinion I know but his influence on games is greater than any 7 before him.

He is a more complete player than Langer.

brn2bwyld
29-03-06, 04:09 PM
Allan langer and Ricky Stuart

Super Cronk
29-03-06, 04:11 PM
form what ive seen....johns is the best. I havent seen alot of Langer but have been told and seen replays of him and he looks to be the slightly better player.

Dakink
29-03-06, 04:24 PM
form what ive seen....johns is the best. I havent seen alot of Langer but have been told and seen replays of him and he looks to be the slightly better player.

I watched em both and Ill stand by my call. Johns is the better halfback. Better kicking game (both long and short), better defense, better passing game. Langer was better at running at the line and close to the line. Langer is also one of the ebst 7's - dont get me wrong. I just think Johns is the best. Ever.

Teegy
29-03-06, 04:40 PM
Langer followed very closely by Sterlo. Johns in 3rd for me

DeeGan
29-03-06, 04:55 PM
Can I just reinterate one point - we should be basing this judgement soley on what the player did at Origin level ;) Forget the Winfield Cup/NRL form, take only what the player did for NSW or QLD into account as a halfback.

Thanks

Dakink
29-03-06, 04:58 PM
Still doesnt change my vote - though you should have made that a little clearer.

DeeGan
29-03-06, 05:03 PM
Still doesnt change my vote - though you should have made that a little clearer.

Sorry boss - don't sack me.

:laugh:

Who is the best halfback to have played Origin? For some in future I will spell it out.

Dakink
29-03-06, 05:14 PM
We will see - should have said which halfback has performed best in origin.....

God Im pedantic.....

DeeGan
29-03-06, 05:18 PM
We will see - should have said which halfback has performed best in origin.....

God Im pedantic.....

Geezus - build a bridge.

Edited; opening thread, poll title.

Most go it mate :laugh: It did not impact on your vote apparently...bigons :laugh:

Chaos
17-04-06, 10:21 PM
It's a great question for a Queenslander to ask as we all know Johns hasn't dominated at State Of Origin level.

Queensland has had some suprising wins against some red hot NSW's outfits and at times were huge underdogs but they did have a crafty little half back named Allan Langer.

Langer gets my vote.

Dakink
18-04-06, 11:21 AM
It's a great question for a Queenslander to ask as we all know Johns hasn't dominated at State Of Origin level.

Queensland has had some suprising wins against some red hot NSW's outfits and at times were huge underdogs but they did have a crafty little half back named Allan Langer.

Langer gets my vote.

Did you just say Johns hasnt dominated at SOO level??

HUH?

The Original Idiot
18-04-06, 11:37 AM
I hope Chaos watched game 3 last year. That was Johns' game by a country mile.

Eel 33
18-04-06, 03:57 PM
Out of those choices, i've only ever seen Langer, Lam, Stuart and Johns at work. Johns has played in a few positions in origin whereas the rest have solely played halfback.
Langer wins by a nose hair from Johns, Stuart then Lam.

shavenjas
18-04-06, 05:39 PM
A Langer all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaos
18-04-06, 07:54 PM
I hope Chaos watched game 3 last year. That was Johns' game by a country mile.

Was that the game Anthony Minichello won man of the match?

John's did play well in that game but he hasn't played as good as that during his whole State Of Origin career, he is at his peak.

Coaster
21-04-06, 06:31 PM
Correct Johns is at his peak now.

And the reason he looks so good is becuase of the salary cap. FFS most NRL teams consist of kids.
Look at the Jason Smith, do you think he is really that good of a footballer that he can dominate in todays game?

He has something the other players dont have, experience, and becuase most of the NRL have barely any, he shines.

When he had to play hardened pros, he couldnt even get into the side, or they would push him to hooker.

He had a great series last year, but before that nothing!!!

Langer came back as an old man from England for the first :ok: of Filters last games, and made Johns look like a goose.

Im not a fan sorry

Kallan
21-04-06, 06:45 PM
I went langer.

DeeGan
22-04-06, 02:33 PM
Langer came back as an old man from England for the first of Filters last games, and made Johns look like a goose.

Interesting...

Allan Langer did ruin the first of Fittler's last games for NSW though he did not make Johns look like a goose in that game - Johns wasn't playing. Brett Kimmorley was the then NSW halfback.

Townsville Titan
28-04-06, 04:49 PM
Cant go past Johns surely. Yeah, the others were exceptional players but Johnsy is the sole reason for NSW's success last year and on many other occasions.

Other than that, this year it will be Gower when NSW beats QLD.

~Wild Child~
02-05-06, 05:16 PM
Alan Langer..Legend..

Townsville Titan
03-05-06, 12:52 PM
Peter Sterling would be my second choice... he was magic...