PDA

View Full Version : Lockyer to Fullback Saga: Big Artie backs Roos skipper

Queenslander
28-03-06, 09:46 AM
Big Artie backs Roos skipper
Steve Ricketts
From the Courier Mail
March 28, 2006

TEST legend Arthur Beetson yesterday described as "madness" calls for Darren Lockyer to switch from five-eighth to fullback in the Australian side.

Beetson was supported by another former Test skipper, Gorden Tallis, who urged the Australian selectors to pick players in their club positions even if it meant Lockyer missing out on the May 5 clash with New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

Beetson, a former Test selector, said Lockyer had played close to the perfect game of football when he led Australia to a 44-4 win over Britain in the 2004 Tri-Nations final playing at five-eighth.

"How quickly people forget," Beetson said. "It's madness to even think about it at this stage.

"Locky didn't have a great finish to last season with the Broncos but he was playing behind a losing pack.

"If I was still an Australian selector I'd be leaving things for another two or three weeks before deciding what to do. It's silly to be talking about moving Locky to fullback and Anthony Minichiello to wing at this stage."

Australian selector Bob McCarthy confirmed his support for the positional changes at the weekend saying he didn't want Lockyer "having to do a hundred tackles" playing in the frontline in defence.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, Australia's coach in 2004-05, fired back at McCarthy saying it would create disunity in the Test team moving Minichiello to wing after he had been named Australia's best player two years in a row at fullback.

In his column in The Courier-Mail today, Tallis urges the selectors not to pick players out of position as Australia looks to avenge last year's 24-0 Tri-Nations final loss to the Kiwis.

"I've always been a strong believer that if you can't make a representative team in your position, you shouldn't make it at all and that should apply to D. Lockyer as much as anyone else," Tallis writes.

McCarthy and Bob Fulton (NSW), and Les Geeves and Des Morris (Qld) make up the Test selection panel with ARL chairman Colin Love the panel chairman. New coach Ricky Stuart also has a big say in the selection of the side.

The ARL board has to give its final blessing to the team and also chooses the captain with Newcastle's Andrew Johns Lockyer's main rival.

Beetson was at the centre of one of the game's biggest controversies in 1977 when he was omitted from a Test side only to have the ARL insist on his reinstatement.

When Beetson found out the circumstances of his selection he withdrew from the side.

"That was a shambles," Beetson said. "We don't want to see something like that happen again."

Broncos' former Test prop Shane Webcke said he doubted the wisdom of a Lockyer-Minichiello "switch".

"I just don't think you gain anything by changing tried and tested combinations," Webcke said.

New Zealand coach Brian McLennan said it was none of his business what Australian selectors decided but he had been impressed by Lockyer in the Broncos' 30-10 win over Parramatta on Sunday.

"Lockyer was terrific and his display was a positive sign for Brisbane," McLennan said.

"Australian can pick two or three sides but there's no doubt they missed Lockyer last year when he was unavailable for the Tri-Nations final because of injury," McLennan said.

"But we went into the tournament without Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall."

McLennan revealed he had not yet been contracted for 2006 but declined to comment on the reasons for the NZRFL's procrastination.

He coaches Auckland side Mt Albert in the national club competition but his earnings from football are meagre compared to salaries paid NRL coaches.

It is understood the NZRFL could finalise a new three-year deal with McLennan as early as today.

DeeGan
28-03-06, 09:59 AM
At test level, Lockyer has never let us down in the number 6. Why? Well he is not burdened with having to carry a team on his shoulders as he does at Brisbane and for Queensland.

My preference is to see Darren Lockyer in the number one jersey at all levels, though if Bennett, Meninga and Stuart use him in defence like last Sunday vs the Eels, Lockyer will only get better given his defence workload is lighter and he is not able to be 'spotted' in defence. Last week he made 13 tackles though missed only 5. Still not great though improved on the 11 missed tackles in round one.

[BroncosGirl]
28-03-06, 03:16 PM
He has never really failed in internation level, so i dont' see the sense of changing, i was never really for chaning him at the Broncos either, I would have just to see what it was like.

But as shown on Sunday when Locky is surrounding by a working team, he works well.