PDA

View Full Version : NRL; Cowboys; Williams out for some time

Queenslander
27-03-06, 07:34 PM
Some bad news for the Cowboys. :(

WILLIAMS OUT FOR SOME TIME
27th of March 2006

NQ Toyota Cowboys and Queensland Origin Winger Ty Williams will be on the sideline for around 8-12 weeks after an operation was performed to insert a plate to his broken leg today.

Back rower Jacob Lillyman will probably be missing for a week or two with a knee injury while Neil Sweeney will be given time to see how his back injury settles down.

www.cowboys.com.au

Queenslander
27-03-06, 07:39 PM
Williams injury is also bad news for the Maroons

Williams Resigned to Missing Origin
Courtesy of the Townsville Bulletin
By Adam Gardini

QUEENSLAND winger Ty Williams has given up hope of returning to the State of Origin arena this season after being ruled out for three to four months with a badly broken leg.

Williams will have surgery today to have pins inserted in his lower left leg after suffering a distal fracture of the tibia and fibula, both bones in the lower leg, during Saturday night's 40-8 thrashing of Melbourne.

The injury capped a horror week for the 25-year-old, who returned to his home town of Innisfail only two days before the match to visit family and friends who had been affected by Cyclone Larry.

While the injury has shattered his ambition of playing for Queensland this year, Williams was upbeat about his own plight yesterday in light of the devastation caused by the cyclone and the implications it has had on its victims over the past week.

"The way I see it with the week we've had, there's people worse off than me," Williams said from his bed at the Mater Hospital last night.

"I've only broken a bone but people have lost lots of things in their life.

"It's the icing on the cake at the moment but it could have been worse."

With a minimum recovery time of at least three months, Williams said he had given up hope of playing Origin.

He is certain to miss the first two matches of the series in Sydney on May 24 and Brisbane on June 14 and wasn't entertaining any thoughts of an early return in time for game three in Melbourne on July 5. Williams played on the wing for Queensland in all three games last season.

"I'm really not worried about that any more," Williams said.

"I'll put that behind me now and just concentrate on getting back to the field."

In a strange twist, Williams' injury occurred when tackled by Melbourne's Billy Slater - another of Innisfail's favourite sons whose family was affected by Cyclone Larry.

"I felt it crack straight away and knew," Williams said.

"He (Slater) asked me if I was all right and I said 'no, I think I've broken my leg'.

"I've done my ligament in my ankle before but this was above my ankle."

In-form back-rower Jacob Lillyman also received some bad news after suffering a torn lateral ligament in his right knee which is likely to sideline him for several weeks.

Cowboys doctor Greg Winter said Lillyman would have precautionary MRI scans today to ascertain the seriousness of the injury.

Winger Neil Sweeney was another who failed to finish the game after suffering a back injury.

Winter said Sweeney's condition would be assessed at the team's medical tomorrow along with injured hookers Aaron Payne (neck) and David Faiumu (groin), who were both unavailable for Saturday night's clash.

DeeGan
27-03-06, 08:45 PM
Devastating news for Cowboys and Queensland - Ty Williams was going to be the first winger picked.

My backline was looking like:

1 - M. Bowen
2 - T. Williams
3 - S. Bell
4 - G. Inglis/J. Hodges
5 - B. Slater
6 - D. Lockyer (c)
7 - J. Thurston

Luke
27-03-06, 08:46 PM
Some bad news for the Cowboys. :(

WILLIAMS OUT FOR SOME TIME
27th of March 2006

NQ Toyota Cowboys and Queensland Origin Winger Ty Williams will be on the sideline for around 8-12 weeks after an operation was performed to insert a plate to his broken leg today.

Back rower Jacob Lillyman will probably be missing for a week or two with a knee injury while Neil Sweeney will be given time to see how his back injury settles down.

www.cowboys.com.au

Brings back memories from last year when i had to get a plate put in my arm :( Hopefuly he will be ok to play before the 8 weeks.

Dakink
28-03-06, 09:36 AM
The great depth of the Cowboys now will be an asset as injuries strike. That is the biggest difference with the new Cowboys.

Queenslander
28-03-06, 09:39 AM
The great depth of the Cowboys now will be an asset as injuries strike. That is the biggest difference with the new Cowboys.

Thats true, hopefully we will see Brenton Bowen take over from Williams during this time. It will be great to see two Bowen's take the field for the Cowboys :thumbsup:

DeeGan
28-03-06, 09:40 AM
Thats true, hopefully we will see Brenton Bowen take over from Williams during this time. It will be great to see two Bowen's take the field for the Cowboys :thumbsup:

I think Josh Hannay will come in to the centres to be honest.

Queenslander
28-03-06, 09:41 AM
:whatd: I forgot about him ;) ..........it shows how much talent they have up there if they can leave Josh Hannay in the lower grade. :thumbsup:

DeeGan
28-03-06, 09:42 AM
:whatd: I forgot about him ;) ..........it shows how much talent they have up there if they can leave Josh Hannay in the lower grade. :thumbsup:

AND Carl Webb :!:

Eel 33
28-03-06, 03:09 PM
Devastating news for Cowboys and Queensland - Ty Williams was going to be the first winger picked.

My backline was looking like:

1 - M. Bowen
2 - T. Williams
3 - S. Bell
4 - G. Inglis/J. Hodges
5 - B. Slater
6 - D. Lockyer (c)
7 - J. Thurston

I'd have Inglis on the wing and leave the vacant centre position up for grabs. Hodges hasn't done anything and i'm guessing Hannay will be on the plane to Sydney for the game against the Eels on friday night. This position will be faught over until the team is named. Both men need to step up and WANT that origin jumper.

Ipswich Fan
28-03-06, 03:23 PM
My money is for Hannay to slot in to the Cowboys side but Brenton Bowen wouldn't let them down either.

Teegy
28-03-06, 04:45 PM
my QLD backline now would be looking like below but alot will change by SOO time

1) Matt Bowen
2) Greg Inglis/Matt Sing
3) Steve Bell
4) Willie Tonga/Paul Bowman
5) Billy Slater
6) Darren Lockyer
7) Johnathon Thurston
14) Scott Prince

Queenslander
28-03-06, 05:26 PM

Looks like you are right DeeGan :thumbsup:

EDIT: Plus a quick question.......does anybody know if Hannay will be the goal kicker, or will they stick with Thurston cause both players are very good with kicking.

From Cowboys.com.au

HANNAY TO REPLACE WILLIAMS
28th of March 2006

Queensland Origin representative Josh Hannay will replace the injured Ty Williams in the Toyota Cowboys line up for Friday's clash at Parramatta Stadium.

Hannay has started season 2006 in the Toyota Young Guns line up after recovering from a shoulder reconstruction operation during the off season. He has been solid in defence and Coach Graham Murray believes he is ready for first grade. "We all know Josh has been a reliable centre in the past and he deserves his spot." Murray said.

Jacob Lillyman's knee injury has made way for the return of the "Super Sub" Rod Jensen from the reserve grade side to the bench and the prop forward rotation sees Matthew Scott also on the bench this week.

DeeGan
28-03-06, 09:48 PM
Looks like you are right DeeGan :thumbsup:

EDIT: Plus a quick question.......does anybody know if Hannay will be the goal kicker, or will they stick with Thurston cause both players are very good with kicking.

From Cowboys.com.au

HANNAY TO REPLACE WILLIAMS
28th of March 2006

Queensland Origin representative Josh Hannay will replace the injured Ty Williams in the Toyota Cowboys line up for Friday's clash at Parramatta Stadium.

Hannay has started season 2006 in the Toyota Young Guns line up after recovering from a shoulder reconstruction operation during the off season. He has been solid in defence and Coach Graham Murray believes he is ready for first grade. "We all know Josh has been a reliable centre in the past and he deserves his spot." Murray said.

Jacob Lillyman's knee injury has made way for the return of the "Super Sub" Rod Jensen from the reserve grade side to the bench and the prop forward rotation sees Matthew Scott also on the bench this week.

Thought as much, Brenton Bowen is a fullback/winger replacement.

As for the goalkicking, Jonathon Thurston is 16 from 21 (76%) with 52 points this season - 'don't fix what ain't broke' I say. Thurston is trailing only El Masri (54pts) and Johns (53pts).

Josh Hannay's career s/rate is only 68.9% (335/486) and Jonathon Thurston's career s/rate is 75.6% (44/58).

Thurston thrives on the extra responsibility, I really hope he is kept on as goal kicker. This kid could go on to be the point scoring halfback that replaces Andrew Johns at all levels of rugby league when the great man retires - give him the kicking points full-time Muzza' :D