PDA

View Full Version : Selectors want Locky at fullback

DIEHARD
26-03-06, 03:34 AM
PAUL KENT

Australian selectors are set to drop a bombshell by shifting Test captain Darren Lockyer (pictured) to fullback for next month's Trans Tasman Test against New Zealand.

Anthony Minichiello will be switched to the wing and either Trent Barrett or Braith Anasta will fill the vacant five-eighth spot.

Selectors are keen to remove Lockyer from the front line of defence, where his performances have been criticised in the past.

The shock move comes a week after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett softened his "never again" stance on Lockyer returning to fullback by saying he would not be afraid to shift his chief playmaker back to the No. 1 jersey.

It is widely known that many NRL teams target Lockyer in the defensive line for the dual reasons that, firstly, a heavy defensive workload blunts his attacking prowess and, secondly, he rates highly in missed and ineffective tackles.

By playing either Barrett or Anasta in the No. 6 jersey, selectors believe Australia will have a solid defender in the front line while keeping Lockyer fresh for attack.

Australia's chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy said there was still five weeks before the team plays, meaning anything is likely but confirmed his early support for the positional switch.

"We don't want (Lockyer) having to do a hundred tackles," McCarthy said.

"Because of his great attacking prowess you don't want to see him ladled with doing 40-odd tackles a game.

"They have those big boppers in the back row and they'll be running at him the whole game."

Australian coach Ricky Stuart was last night guarded about the switch, preferring to wait until he hears what team selectors give him before commenting too heavily.

"I think Darren Lockyer's best position is fullback but unfortunately we have got the world's best player there at the moment," Stuart said.

"In saying that, it is not my position to pick the team, it's the selectors', and I will coach whatever team they give me.

"I have the ear of the selectors and the team that we pick will be the best team for Australia."

Stuart has a tight relationship with selectors, but he also acknowledged that, ultimately, the final selection remains with them.

Test selector Bob Fulton, a former Test five-eighth, said on radio yesterday that he believed Lockyer should be moved to fullback at club level.

"He is having to accommodate 40 to 50 ball carriers a game where as in the past (at fullback) he made four or five tackles and was able to come into the line and be active in that area," Fulton said.

Fulton said when Lockyer was moved into the front line he had better players around him at the Broncos.

"(Now) his job at No. 6 is being made a lot harder because only Shane Webcke is a firing up front," he said.

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/

Dakink
26-03-06, 10:25 AM
We would be so much more dangerous with Locky back where he absolutely dominates...

Steelers
26-03-06, 10:41 AM
Well... lets just say that I am mildly happy about this......... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Smithy
26-03-06, 10:53 AM
We would be so much more dangerous with Locky back where he absolutely dominates...

Couldn't agree more Dakink.........

As much as in club footy, he's not a bad 5/8. At rep level he just doesn't cut it.....

Steelers
26-03-06, 11:00 AM
At rep level he just doesn't cut it.....

Well what I would say is he doesn't produce good performances consistently enough at rep level anymore ;)

Smithy
26-03-06, 11:01 AM
Well what I would say is he doesn't produce good performances consistently enough at rep level anymore ;)

True!!

DeeGan
26-03-06, 12:45 PM
Couldn't agree more Dakink.........

As much as in club footy, he's not a bad 5/8. At rep level he just doesn't cut it.....

Lockyer at five-eight for Australia has been awesome it must be said. He has struggled for Queensland though never failed us in the green and gold.

Smithy
26-03-06, 12:49 PM
Lockyer at five-eight for Australia has been awesome it must be said. He has struggled for Queensland though never failed us in the green and gold.
True Deegan.......but would you say that he finds it easier to perform at 5/8 in the Test team where there is a better base around him then in an ageing Qld front row where he is given the ball and asked to perform. I am a big Locky fan but I did love it when he injected himself from fullback.

I did read an article where Wayne Bennett said that Darren does not want to play at Fullback ever again.

DeeGan
26-03-06, 12:53 PM
True Deegan.......but would you say that he finds it easier to perform at 5/8 in the Test team where there is a better base around him then in an ageing Qld front row where he is given the ball and asked to perform. I am a big Locky fan but I did love it when he injected himself from fullback.

I did read an article where Wayne Bennett said that Darren does not want to play at Fullback ever again.

Of course - Lockyer does not have the burden of having to carry the football team on his shoulders when representing Australia.

Bradford_Bully
26-03-06, 09:06 PM
I noticed in the Tri NAtions that a lot of teams were taking advantage of Lockyer's defence, especially against GB at Wigan, where I can remember the forwards running over more than a couple of times, and it worked in cutting down his influence in attack (just a shame it didnt stop the rest of them!).

They could always do what Warrington tried a couple of years ago with Lee Briers and play him stand off in attack and full back in defence.

It didnt quite work for them because A) Briers had never played fullback and B) Warrington weren't all that good anyway, so Briers was creating space for players who couldn't take advantage of it.

None of these points apply for Lockyer, as he would be comfortable in defence at Full Back and asttack at 6, giving the Aussies the best of both worlds.

DIEHARD
26-03-06, 09:35 PM
Either way this pans out it will be very interesting and bring a lot of media attention to the test match.

Just how it ought to be! :thumbsup:

Queenslander
27-03-06, 10:22 AM
No switch back for Lockyer
By Steve Mascord
March 27, 2006

BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett said last night selectors would be creating "disunity" in the Australian camp if they picked Darren Lockyer at fullback for the Anzac Test,

Responding to revelations in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph that coach Ricky Stuart and selectors were contemplating a return to the custodian role for the national captain on May 5 against New Zealand, Bennett questioned how Anthony Minichiello could be moved.

"All I would say he would have to be a hell of a player to replace Anthony Minichiello," Bennett said yesterday.

"I can't believe we can forget quickly how good he is and the great job he's done for Australia.

"He's won the Harry Sunderland Medal for two years in a row as the best player for Australia - playing fullback.

"So, you know, it's probably a good way to create a bit of disunity anyway."

Lockyer said: "I didn't know there was speculation - I don't have a comment"

Bennett, who stood down as Australia coach after last year's Tri-Nations tournament defeat to the Kiwis, questioned whether the speculation was a publicity stunt to promote the Test, to be held at Suncorp Stadium.

"It's just premature talk," he said. "I don't know if they're just trying to remind everybody there's a Test match on or what they're about.

"There's not much talk about it and it might have been just a good way to grab a couple of headlines. I don't know.

"I won't know until they pick the team."

Selector Bob McCarthy was quoted yesterday saying the Australians wanted to reduce the defensive workload Lockyer has at five-eighth to maximise his attacking potential on May 5.

Asked his thoughts on the issue, Kiwis coach Brian McClennan said last night: "I really don't have an opinion on it.

"That's a matter for them, we'll look after ourselves.

"But if they can move Minichiello from fullback, it's a good indication of the depth they've got."

The Daily Telegraph

Smithy
28-03-06, 11:13 AM
Former Australian coach Wayne Bennett has accused Australian selectors of having short memories after reports they were seriously considering playing Darren Lockyer at fullback ahead of Anthony Minichiello in the upcoming ANZAC Test against Tri Nations champion New Zealand.

While Lockyer offered a stern "no comment", saying he was unaware of the report quoting national selector Bob McCarthy, Bennett hit out saying it was a "good way to create a bit of disunity".

The newspaper report said selectors were "keen" to return Lockyer from the front line of defence, where his performances have been criticised, to the No.1 jumper.

It said Minichiello would play on the wing with either Trent Barrett or Braith Anasta at five-eighth.

"We don't want him (Lockyer) having to make 100 tackles," said McCarthy.

"Because of his great attacking prowess you don't want to see him saddled with making 40 tackles a game with those big boppers in the back-row running at him the whole game."

Bennett, who quit as Kangaroos coach soon after Australia lost its first series since 1978 to New Zealand last November, was clearly stunned by the speculation about Lockyer and Minichiello.

Lockyer missed the 24-0 Tri Nations final loss with a broken foot.

"It's just premature talk. I don't know whether they're trying to remind everyone there is a Test match coming up," said Bennett.

"It might have been a good way to grab a few headlines, I don't know, I don't know till they pick the team," he added.

"All I would say is that it would have to be a hell of a player to replace Anthony Minichiello at fullback.

"I can't believe how quickly they've forgotten how good he is and what he's done for Australia.

"He's won the Harry Sunderland medal two years in a row as the best player for Australia playing fullback.

"It's a good way to create a bit of disunity anyway."

Minichiello also won rugby league's Golden Boot as the game's best player last season.

Minichiello's club coach Ricky Stuart, who has replaced Bennett as Kangaroo coach was non committal about a positional switch for the Rooster's custodian.

When asked about the move, Stuart said he would prefer to wait and hear what the selectors had to say first.

"I think Darren Lockyer's best position is fullback but unfortunately we have got the world's best player there at the moment," said Stuart.

"In saying that, it's not my position to pick the team, it's the selectors', and I will coach whatever team they give me."

Bennett said recently he would not be afraid to move Lockyer back to fullback if he felt his defence was being too heavily targeted.

Lockyer has responded with two very good games against the Sharks and again on Sunday against Parramatta, delivering a swift reply to his coach and his critics.

Source: AAP
NRL.com

Dakink
28-03-06, 11:16 AM
Locky has improved - but they were games against teams that have looked anything but threats this year. Having said that you can only play who you are against. His fitness is returning and his forwards have given him a little more room. Would have been good to see him against a full strength Dragons pack this week. That'll have to wait!