PDA

View Full Version : Storm Sowing Seeds!

Dakink
25-03-06, 11:26 AM
from rleague.com

See page 96 of this Victorian Highschool handbook:

http://www.vsssa.org.au/AA/2006/Hbk06.pdf

There seem to be a variety of events going on... RL 7s and 13s and also Tag for the girls.

They also have a Coach Accreditation day.

Well done Storm and well done ARL.

The only way the Storm can shut people like Fitzgerald up is if they grow the game to a level in Victoria where it begins to have a decent following and is played in schools and with juniors etc.

I hope they continue their great work, because I see Victoria as the perfect place for our game to grow. Their is a niche market there for people to follow the Storm - especially with the ARU opting for Perth.

mb63
25-03-06, 01:34 PM
Great work being done in Victoria to grow rugby league at a grass roots level.A new stadium will start being built after Commonwealth Games & the Storm have a good side so overall there are some positive signs for rugby league.

Super Cronk
25-03-06, 05:14 PM
I read an article the other day that mentioned that numbers in rugby league programs and clinics in school has increased over the past few years in Victoria....the storm go to schools and things like that all the time so its great to see that more people are getting involved in RL down there.

Old Diehard
26-03-06, 08:54 PM
The Victorians don't give a damn about rugby league. You can tell easliy- just check it out with all the Mexicans that live on the Coast. Victorians don't understand the game and always go on about Aussie Rules and no they don't intergrate well here in Qld. They don't follow Rugby League. They just aren't interested!!
And if wasn't for News Ltd money (thanks Rupert!) the Storm wouldn't survive down there. Lets look at Brisbane - it's a city of close to 1 million people but has only 1 rugby league team in the NRL. What a joke.

Lets get serious and relocate the Storm to a rugby league area. And if Gallop had any brains it wouldn't be the Central Coast of NSW but a City of 1 million people should be big enough to support a second team. How does this sound- The Broncos have the south side of the Brisbane River ( and the bigger percentage of population with in it ) and relocate the Storm to the North Side of the river.

Commom their is already 2 stadiums- the ANZ Stadium even held a a Super League GF and Suncorp. Forget Victoria - it's not league terrority nor will the Mexicians that move to the Gold Coast follow the Titans.

And until Gallop and the NRL see the stupidity of having only the Broncos in Brisbane , I'll follow the Titans (and I reckon near half the crowd at the 1st round at Suncorp were favouring the Cowboys). Just goes to show no matter
how much money (Newscorp and Channel 9) throws into league, it doesn't understand the common supporter.
AND DON"T EVEN ASK ME TO GO INTO SUNDAY NIGHT GRAND FINALS being the go just because of TV RATINGS!!!!

By the way- the Taitans will need some of the Big End of Town money to survive and I wholeheartedly want that to happen for the good of the code and because the Gold Coast ( east of the old Pacific Highway) is the best place to live in the world.CHEERS!!

The only way the Storm can shut people like Fitzgerald up is if they grow the game to a level in Victoria where it begins to have a decent following and is played in schools and with juniors etc.

I hope they continue their great work, because I see Victoria as the perfect place for our game to grow. Their is a niche market there for people to follow the Storm - especially with the ARU opting for Perth.

Queenslander
26-03-06, 09:28 PM
The Victorians don't give a damn about rugby league. You can tell easliy- just check it out with all the Mexicans that live on the Coast. Victorians don't understand the game and always go on about Aussie Rules and no they don't intergrate well here in Qld. They don't follow Rugby League. They just aren't interested!!
And if wasn't for News Ltd money (thanks Rupert!) the Storm wouldn't survive down there. Lets look at Brisbane - it's a city of close to 1 million people but has only 1 rugby league team in the NRL. What a joke.

Lets get serious and relocate the Storm to a rugby league area. And if Gallop had any brains it wouldn't be the Central Coast of NSW but a City of 1 million people should be big enough to support a second team. How does this sound- The Broncos have the south side of the Brisbane River ( and the bigger percentage of population with in it ) and relocate the Storm to the North Side of the river.

Commom their is already 2 stadiums- the ANZ Stadium even held a a Super League GF and Suncorp. Forget Victoria - it's not league terrority nor will the Mexicians that move to the Gold Coast follow the Titans.

And until Gallop and the NRL see the stupidity of having only the Broncos in Brisbane , I'll follow the Titans (and I reckon near half the crowd at the 1st round at Suncorp were favouring the Cowboys). Just goes to show no matter
how much money (Newscorp and Channel 9) throws into league, it doesn't understand the common supporter.
AND DON"T EVEN ASK ME TO GO INTO SUNDAY NIGHT GRAND FINALS being the go just because of TV RATINGS!!!!

By the way- the Taitans will need some of the Big End of Town money to survive and I wholeheartedly want that to happen for the good of the code and because the Gold Coast ( east of the old Pacific Highway) is the best place to live in the world.CHEERS!!

Sorry Old Diehard, but I dont see your argument. You want the NRL to forget the Storm and Victorian Rugby League; yet you see Victoria as the perfect place for our game to grow. The NRL should be trying to expand their market down there and it hasnt been working exactly to plan. The main thing that Melbourne needs is another premership. When Melbourne won in 2001 the following year crowds were at an all time high. Success = crowd numbers and therefore = money.

But I agree with you about another Brisbane team, its plain stupid that another SE Queensland team isnt in the NRL but the solution to this will be to merge or remove some Sydney clubs. Cause lets face it 16 is the NRL's lucky number in relation to teams.

Steelers
26-03-06, 09:33 PM
Sorry Old Diehard, but I dont see your argument. You want the NRL to forget the Storm and Victorian Rugby League; yet you see Victoria as the perfect place for our game to grow. The NRL should be trying to expand their market down there and it hasnt been working exactly to plan. The main thing that Melbourne needs is another premership. When Melbourne won in 2001 the following year crowds were at an all time high. Success = crowd numbers and therefore = money.

But I agree with you about another Brisbane team, its plain stupid that another SE Queensland team isnt in the NRL but the solution to this will be to merge or remove some Sydney clubs. Cause lets face it 16 is the NRL's lucky number in relation to teams.

I believe he made an error while quoting Dakink... the last paragraph is what Dakink said at the start of the thread

Queenslander
26-03-06, 09:38 PM
I believe he made an error while quoting Dakink... the last paragraph is what Dakink said at the start of the thread

Right that makes sense now, thanks Steelers :)

But to get rid of the Storm is stupid; they need more time. The AFL market is a tough nut to crack...Success is the key.

Steelers
26-03-06, 09:43 PM
But to get rid of the Storm is stupid; they need more time. The AFL market is a tough nut to crack...Success is the key.

I am 50/50 on the topic... I am not sure if the nut will ever be cracked. Those Victorians are VERY stubborn :laugh: But if the NRL is going to go national... a Melbourne team is needed. The team has been given some time... but is this enough? It should have been IMO... 8 years or so... and their fan base is still not there with some of the teams that have been around the same time. Like I said though... My opinion is very blurred on this topic.

But one thing I can say for sure...

VICTORIANS ARE FOOLS! :laugh:

(The above statement is the opinion of myself, and all other Rugby League supporting QLD'ers and NSW'ers. Any Victorians who support Rugby League do not fit into the above category.)

Smithy
26-03-06, 11:12 PM
What Melbourne need is for a few local boys to start to make it through to grade footy. To my knowledge this has yet to happen and I could imagine that local league teams are a bit thin down there as well.

I agree that i am not sure that nut will everly truely be cracked.

Super Cronk
26-03-06, 11:26 PM
Instead of getting rid of them the NRL and others should actually put some support and money into getting the game promoted down there. They get games on channel 9 after 12:00 at night...if they are lucky....the fans ARE down there, storm were getting in the 20,000's and between 16,000-19,000 in 98-00 so they are there but something has driven some away, things like : ****house stadium and poor management regarding memberships and other things like that. There are some problems with the club and there are also problems with NRL not doing enough to get the game exposed down there.

Idiots like fitzy and ray hadley just call for the storm to be moved and dont even want to try and help the game grow.

Thankfully the storm are starting to see numbers increas in kids playing at school and also many schools picking up clinics and lessons with the storm. Also they are getting the new ground, so if certain things are fixed in the club and the NRL can keep injecting money into junior comps etc down there i think we will see the crowd come back. Also there needs to be deals like "AFL members get in for free" or if you bring your AFL membership you get half price tickets etc, if we can get some AFL people to the games hopefully they will love the game and want to come back...and bring some friends.

Smithy
26-03-06, 11:30 PM
Instead of getting rid of them the NRL and others should actually put some support and money into getting the game promoted down there. They get games on channel 9 after 12:00 at night...if they are lucky....the fans ARE down there, storm were getting in the 20,000's and between 16,000-19,000 in 98-00 so they are there but something has driven some away, things like : ****house stadium and poor management regarding memberships and other things like that. There are some problems with the club and there are also problems with NRL not doing enough to get the game exposed down there.

Idiots like fitzy and ray hadley just call for the storm to be moved and dont even want to try and help the game grow.

Thankfully the storm are starting to see numbers increas in kids playing at school and also many schools picking up clinics and lessons with the storm. Also they are getting the new ground, so if certain things are fixed in the club and the NRL can keep injecting money into junior comps etc down there i think we will see the crowd come back. Also there needs to be deals like "AFL members get in for free" or if you bring your AFL membership you get half price tickets etc, if we can get some AFL people to the games hopefully they will love the game and want to come back...and bring some friends.

Some quality ideas in there Super Cronk.
i know the NRL was injecting a lot of extra money into the club but maybe it should have spent in a few other places as well.....

Super Cronk
27-03-06, 12:20 PM
Some quality ideas in there Super Cronk.
i know the NRL was injecting a lot of extra money into the club but maybe it should have spent in a few other places as well.....

The NRL this year has injected some big bucks into the game....but why must it be 7-8 years before they do something? Sure they have put money into league down there in the past...but they didnt do enough....

Dakink
27-03-06, 01:22 PM
It has taken the Swans a lot longer than 8 years to become anything like succesful in the Sydney market - and even then I would hedge a bet with a few years of poor results they would struggle again. They are STILL propped up by the AFL.

Eel 33
27-03-06, 05:12 PM
I'm just waiting for Parra to play the Storm again, to hear the next installment of dribble that comes from Denis "S***-for-brains" Fitzgerald mouth. I doubt he even turns up to that particular game. Eddie McGuire needs to do something now he's the head honcho at 9. But I doubt that, he's one of those stubborn imports from mexico who refuse to take their blinkers off.