PDA

View Full Version : Titans: What would you expect from a Titans HOME game in 2007?

DeeGan
23-03-06, 03:57 PM
Titans: What would you expect from a Titans HOME game in 2007?

Ok, picture this.

You have just walked in to Carrarra Stadium for the first ever Gold Coast Titans home game. The familiar smell of hot meat pies, popcorn, burgers and pizza is wafting around the stadium as well the smell of beerr. You head to your seat primed for a great night or afternoon at the footy.

What do you expect entertainment wise from the club?

What would make your afternoon or night out something to talk about Monday morning at school or work?

An idea:

Fan days: These are days where prizes are awarded to the fans throughout the course of the afternoon/evening? It could be ticket numbers, it could be fan participation - you tell me what we could incorporate here.

I want to know what is going to make your experience at the footy an even more enjoyable one as put on by the club.

There is no wrong answer, BRAINSTORM here!

DeeGan
23-03-06, 04:27 PM
I think at home games there has to be enough toilets for the crowd, some grounds we have been to are dredful! Also good security, so families can enjoy the game. Times have changed and there have been been some nasty incidents at NRL games lately.
Also only Mid Strength or Lite Beer served at ground!
How about a club house? will we get one of these? Or will it be included in the stadium?
GOTTA HAVE A CLUBHOUSE :win:
Thankyou for doing such a great job, also!
GO THE TITANS :clap: :win: Regards Jenny and Bruce McNair

Thanks again Jenny! :D

DeeGan
23-03-06, 04:28 PM
re: the clubhouse

More to be released about this by Titans management, I am not privy to that though I am certain it will be looked at :D

DeeGan
23-03-06, 05:18 PM
What type of entertainment should we be looking at? This is something to consider.

Ground announcers? Do you want something like out Penrith way (over the top) or to hear as little as possible from the guy on the microphone?

Queenslander
23-03-06, 05:21 PM
Perhaps have a ground announcer that can influence the crowd during games to increase the atmosphere. And to start war crys/chants etc.

Have a mascot on the field at all times, to help spur the crowd on.

Plus try to prevent crowds from leaving early, make sure its a full house right up until the final whistle.

DeeGan
23-03-06, 05:33 PM
Perhaps have a ground announcer that can influence the crowd during games to increase the atmosphere. And to start war crys/chants etc.

Have a mascot on the field at all times, to help spur the crowd on.

Plus try to prevent crowds from leaving early, make sure its a full house right up until the final whistle.

The supporters group will cover the chants etc.

What about the overall experience on game day? As I suggested a fan day every month with member benefits perhaps?

What about family day? A legends day where ALL former Gold Coast players available are made accessible to the fans for autographs etc.

What about after the game? Think big picture.

Jumping castles for kids?

Queenslander
23-03-06, 05:38 PM
The supporters group will cover the chants etc.

What about the overall experience on game day? As I suggested a fan day every month with member benefits perhaps?

What about family day? A legends day where ALL former Gold Coast players available are made accessible to the fans for autographs etc.

What about after the game? Think big picture.

Jumping castles for kids?

A fan day would be good but if it becomes a common thing then it will slowly get boring. Not that its a bad idea but too much of a good thing can be bad for you ;)

Perhaps have a sechdule of "event" days

1st Home Game: Family Day: Family Discounts
5th Home Game: Legends/History Day.......Supporters could even wear "retro" jersey to win prizes
8th Home Game: Kids Day: free small flag for kids
Home Game Closest to Mothers Day: Mums Day: Free gift for mothers
Home Game Closest to Fathers Day: Dads Day: Free gift for dads
etc etc :)

DeeGan
23-03-06, 05:46 PM
A fan day would be good but if it becomes a common thing then it will slowly get boring. Not that its a bad idea but too much of a good thing can be bad for you ;)

Perhaps have a sechdule of "event" days

1st Home Game: Family Day: Family Discounts
5th Home Game: Legends/History Day.......Supporters could even wear "retro" jersey to win prizes
8th Home Game: Kids Day: free small flag for kids
Home Game Closest to Mothers Day: Mums Day: Free gift for mothers
Home Game Closest to Fathers Day: Dads Day: Free gift for dads
etc etc :)

Thats what I am talking about mate :D

Titanium_BD1103
23-03-06, 05:56 PM
I reckon that there are some good ideas here.. and here are some of mine.. :)

- Have incentives for Women to come to the game.. I am not sure.. perhaps a ladies day during the season or something like that.

- Have players available during the Lower grade games to sign and talk to fans.. ok not the whole team, but assign one or two players to do this at a home game

- Masks with players on them.. so that little kids can be their favourite player at the game.

- Lots of good food, good company and loads of fun.. but then again I know the GC will offer that come 2007.. :D :D

DeeGan
23-03-06, 05:58 PM
Good stuff BDT_311 - all good ideas, I like the ladies day idea apart from the obvious (I am a mere male) it shows we are comitted to ensuring ALL have a home at Gold Coast Titans home games.

All the more reason to push for a celebrity fan of the female variety as Manly have done with Sarah O'Hare :D

Smithy
23-03-06, 06:08 PM
For pre game entertaiment......there could be local junior league teams........U6-U10. around that age.........makes for good fun and great for the kids.

..::Coops::..
23-03-06, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bulldog_Titan311

- Masks with players on them.. so that little kids can be their favourite player at the game.
:D :D[/QUOTE]

lol - i like, maybe you could do like in usa and baseball have each week something different (e.g pretsel day or luke bailey day and all have masks)

Queenslander
23-03-06, 06:56 PM
As long as the activities dont distract from the football; that is the main reason why people are there. Like jumping castles for the kids could be replaced with a "pass the ball through the hole game". And perhaps have a player from the team helping the kids out with small football related activities.

And please please please dont have those rapping dancers who spin around in circles and wear stack hats and spin on their heads....people who have been to recent Broncos games know what I mean ;)

And one thing I would love to see is that after the players have run off the field (after full time) Titans supporters can run onto the field and kick a footy around. It something that is missing these days...and it can inspire kids to take up footy.

Steve Dangerous
23-03-06, 07:18 PM
i really don't like carrarra stadium. i'll be glad when we move to our brand new robina home.

but in regards to the topic, when i go to a sporting match the only entertainment i come for is the main game usually. especially at carrarra, where the seats aren't too easy on the ol behind! but we should definately have one of our feeder clubs playing a queensland cup game before hand. personally i'm not too fussed about cheergirls and all that mucking about. but perhaps have competitions involving the crowd. at the cricket they picked a few people to take part in a catching comp. you could pick contestants from the crowd and have a bomb catching comp or something at halftime.

another idea would be to have a short clip on each player... like a video profile thing, little interview, stats, etc.. and have a different one playing on the big screen and half time each week.

but whatever you do, can we please not have SeaFM announcers talking trash! the gayley guy (or whatever his name is) at the cowboys v bulldogs match was terrible. no one give that man a mic!

The Original Idiot
23-03-06, 08:38 PM
Theme days would be fantastic. How about a pre-game mascot fight- The Gladiator versus the visitors mascot in a wrestling match?

Moejoe
23-03-06, 08:51 PM
At a titans home game I would love nothing more than to walk in the gate and see Local junior clubs selling Footy doubles for thier own fundraising. As i make my way around to my seat, a stop at the bar is essential for a few rum and cokes.

A good lead up game (Be it two local junior teams, Or a state league game) followed by a musical act (like the broncos do)

But I think what will make the first ever titans game memorable will be at the 80th minute when the titans are in front on the scoreboard.

Eel 33
23-03-06, 09:38 PM
With the ladies day idea, maybe extend it to bay of seating at each game. Whether it be in the stands or a fenced off area of the hill. It has to be "female only" type thing. Include facilities in that area, food, drink, toilets etc. This works well at the races, so its worth a try. (I realise the races are an all day event but lets have a go.) I know a few chicks who won't go to the footy because of the "idiot" element.
As far as kids activities go, keep them footy oriented. You can go to the circus, the Ekka or a school holiday carnival for jumping castles etc. Involve injured, suspended or lower grade players in this. Freebies like posters, autographs, stickers etc will always be a hit.

DeeGan
23-03-06, 09:51 PM
As far as kids activities go, keep them footy oriented. You can go to the circus, the Ekka or a school holiday carnival for jumping castles etc

Geez - you can be punished for creating a 'brainstorming' session here :laugh: This was a top of the head idea attempting to get creative juices flowing - it has worked.

100% agree, junior footy activities would be great; pass the ball, organised games of touch or flag etc.

Keep the ideas coming, some great stuff from all :D

lonegull
24-03-06, 08:18 AM
yeah i like the idea of different days sounds good where you can bring the whole family along for differetb days would be great, one thing i would like to see would be crowd involvement at half time picking people from the crowd maybe to have a chance at winning something like if you kick a goal or something a bit like the basketball in the usa where they shoot halfway for the hoop to win prizes i think its important to get the crowd invovled, also a mascot where kids can get photos and adults i suppose?

Titanium_BD1103
24-03-06, 10:44 AM
With the ladies day idea, maybe extend it to bay of seating at each game. Whether it be in the stands or a fenced off area of the hill. It has to be "female only" type thing. Include facilities in that area, food, drink, toilets etc. This works well at the races, so its worth a try. (I realise the races are an all day event but lets have a go.) I know a few chicks who won't go to the footy because of the "idiot" element.

I really like this idea.. it works at the Cricket too...well it did when the Ladies stand only had ladies in it at the SCG.. now guys seem to get in there every now and then... :laugh:

I think it will work well and with a Female Ambassdor for the Club and a set of days especially for Ladies... the whole atmosphere of being a club for all is created and women would be more likely to come to the games.

Eel 33
24-03-06, 11:44 AM
I think it will work well and with a Female Ambassdor for the Club and a set of days especially for Ladies...

Ok, who would be a great suggestion for an ambassador??? No need to restrict it to one person, maybe a team of 5 0r 6???

DIEHARD
24-03-06, 03:30 PM
Some great ideas here. Here are some ideas of mine of the top of my head.

As far as a ground announcer. I suggest we employ a comedian, a funny comedian. He shouldn't always be in comedian mode, just have the ability and wit. He should be 80% host, 20% comedian. Someone who just isn't a talking voice that goes in one ear and out the other, or one that annoys people. He has to be subtle but what he says, his comments have to be addaptive to the situation. Etc game play up to half time, comments on the match, pre-match entertainment. Maybe throw in a short few jokes about current NRL news and issues or results or score updates from other matches.

He has to be not in your face, but laid back and quick witted. I think we need a friendly and likeable but witty host, a voice of the Titans.

As for entertainment, a lot here has been said and a lot has been done before at NRL matches. Maybe we could bring in school bands from all over SEQLD. I'd like to see more live music, that is upbeat, harder more rock. It's rugby league and I'd like to see some more music at games that get the heart pumping. So maybe some name bands or local bands.

Fire works at night games. Can't get enough of that. Even though it is expensive, but at least at special occasions.

Pass the ball competitions is a great idea, anything to get people and espeically kids involved and holding a rugby ball.

Maybe at home games, the Titans could edit together a highlights package of the previous match, which would likely have been an away match. So people attending all the home matches, but maybe missing away matches on television, due to not having foxtel as well, can get a complete continuity when it comes to Titans matches. It'd be a fantastic feature.

You could also edit together a little package of highlights of the opposing team, so we can get a better understanding of the enemy and how their season is going and what their tactics, aims and challenges are for the game and what they want or need to get from the game.

If a new player debuts, have a video package about him, interview him and ask him some questions, show some footage of him at QLD CUP matches or at training, ask other Titans players questions about him, their opinions. All so we can get to know the new player and grow an emotional attachment to him.

On that note, I think it needs to be a priority to get a 2nd video screen at Carrara. If we were going to do anything to improve patron satisfaction at the venue, I think it should be the first thing we do.

I liked the break dancers the other week at the Broncos, I thought it was something different for a change.

Have signature events that happen after a try, goal or maybe even smaller things like a great tackle or capturing an opponent in goal. For instance the Broncos horse Buck does a lap every time the Broncos score. Maybe we could come up with similiar gimmicks. They could just be advanced video screen animations or could take place physically.

We have talked about features like Titans TV for the website, but maybe they can be debuted at Titans match days.The more you educate the fans and emerse them in rugby league and the Titans, the greater and more passionate fans they will become.

Have a fan of the week or best dressed fan competition, as well as banner competitions.

I'll come back with some more soon.

jenny
24-03-06, 03:36 PM
Thanks DeeGan... looking forward to buting you a beer :beer:
Have a great weekend :hi: Jenny

jenny
24-03-06, 03:38 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS
Buying you a Beer....not buting you one....I think i need a drink LOL

G-ney
26-03-06, 09:40 AM
:guit: I don't think you can go past a live band to play music when a TRY is scored rather than just playing music through a P.A. They used to have one at Sharks games years ago and it worked a treat!

:beer: I noticed at the Bulldogs v Warriors Trial that you could only purchase light beer yet there was also pre-mix spirits available. A bit of a contradiction. Even though i am a person who only consumes spirits when drinking alcohol, i would much rather see spirits banned from games as too many Yobbo's run-a-muck when consuming spirits especially on a warmish afternoon. :curse:

:upset: Traffic: As someone who usually parks in the western carpark closest to Nerang Station i would like to see some improvement in exitting the venue. Maybe look into blocking off the road heading west somewhere on the other side of the venue to allow cars coming out of the venue a free run turning right and heading west. I have been to some horrible venues in Sydney where it takes forever to get out of the carpark, however Carrara Stadium is the worst by far. :topic: Go TITANS!!!!!

G-ney
26-03-06, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=G-ney]:guit: I don't think you can go past a live band to play music when a TRY is scored rather than just playing music through a P.A. They used to have one at Sharks games years ago and it worked a treat!

:beer: I noticed at the Bulldogs v Warriors Trial that you could only purchase light beer yet there was also pre-mix spirits available. A bit of a contradiction. Even though i am a person who only consumes spirits when drinking alcohol, i would much rather see spirits banned from games as too many Yobbo's run-a-muck when consuming spirits especially on a warmish afternoon. :curse:

:upset: Traffic: As someone who usually parks in the western carpark closest to Nerang Station i would like to see some improvement in exitting the venue. Maybe look into blocking off the road heading west somewhere on the other side of the venue to allow cars coming out of the venue a free run turning right and heading west. I have been to some horrible venues in Sydney where it takes forever to get out of the carpark, however Carrara Stadium is the worst by far. :topic: Go TITANS!!!!!

Queenslander
26-03-06, 07:13 PM
I just noticed something in the V8's that could be done at a Rugby League game....All the poor ford fans had signs with "Falcon Power" written on it. There was a huge group of people with these signs and look pretty good. They have been doing it for years now, but only just thought of its use in Rugby League.

The Titans could hand out signs with "Titan Try" "Titan Terrific" "Titan Power" etc at home games :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
26-03-06, 07:20 PM
I hope the video screen at Titans' matches actually has a tackle count.

Something the ones at Lang Park don't have, which is baffling, how many years has the place been running?

Queenslander
26-03-06, 07:26 PM
I hope the video screen at Titans' matches actually has a tackle count.

Something the ones at Lang Park don't have, which is baffling, how many years has the place been running?

The idea of having info like that on the big screen doesnt fit right with me....People go to watch the footy not to watch the big screen ;) Its pretty easy to tell when its the fifth if you are watching the game. :)

DIEHARD
26-03-06, 07:56 PM
The idea of having info like that on the big screen doesnt fit right with me....People go to watch the footy not to watch the big screen ;) Its pretty easy to tell when its the fifth if you are watching the game. :)

It isn't a matter of knowing when the 5th tackle is, that is obvious.

It is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

And they need to cater for the average fan, the simple and most basic forms of rugby league data should be provided.

Queenslander
26-03-06, 09:36 PM
It isn't a matter of knowing when the 5th tackle is, that is obvious.

It is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

And they need to cater for the average fan, the simple and most basic forms of rugby league data should be provided.

Sounds like someone didnt pass maths ;) just kidding

But I understand what you mean, it just seems natural to me to count the tackles. And these days the ref yells out the tackle number so loud that anybody in the stadium could hear him. :laugh:

But for me a video screen should only tell: the score and game time.

And thinking from a financial point of view I dont think a stadium (especially a government run one) will employee somebody to push a button after every tackle :)

shavenjas
26-03-06, 09:39 PM
I will wait till 2008 i would never watch football at Carrara again. :mad:

Steelers
26-03-06, 09:44 PM
And thinking from a financial point of view I dont think a stadium (especially a government run one) will employee somebody to push a button after every tackle :)

Channel Nine do... :p But wouldn't the scorer who controls the scoreboard do that?

Queenslander
26-03-06, 09:47 PM
Channel Nine do... :p But wouldn't the scorer who controls the scoreboard do that?

You dont want to give the scoreboard guy too many jobs :p . He has to count the score, keep an eye on the time; imagine if he had to count tackles :thumbsup:

Steelers
26-03-06, 09:50 PM
He has to count the score,

That isn't too hard in Rugby League ;)

keep an eye on the time

Hire a timekeeper ;) :laugh:

Well now that I think about it, I am not going to be looking up at the scoreboard every so often to check :whatd: So why am I defending the case to have it... :laugh:

Queenslander
26-03-06, 09:52 PM
I am not going to be looking up at the scoreboard every so often to check :whatd: So why am I defending the case to have it... :laugh:

Exactly, the more we put up on the screen, the more the public are distracted from the real action on the footy field :thumbsup: If people want to watch it on a screen, they can stay at home and save money ;)

DIEHARD
26-03-06, 10:04 PM
It's about giving the public maximan information to get the most out of the football.

Someone already counts the tackles for Ch 9 and Fox Sports anyway.

Anyway let's get back to the topic at hand...

Any more ideas?

Dakink
29-03-06, 01:44 PM
My thoughts for home games;

There are any wealth of "Theme games" We can have - and I think we should have a number of them spread out over the home season. Not every game but every couple.

Ladies Day
Childrens\Family Day
Charity Game
Emergency Services Game
Members\Spnsors Day
Schools Day

Just to name a few. Each game can "Target" that particular demographic for the day. For example - on Emergency Services Day, anyone who works\volunteers for the emergency services can get discounted tickets. Collections can be taken at spots around the ground for donations to the various organisations (same can be done for local schools, charities, Womens domestic violence groups (Womens day) and so on.)

This gives the club great exposure amongst local groups that really need the help. also gives the club a good reputation in the local community, helps the club become "part" of the community.

A very basic run down of a day;

Gates open.

* - Collectors for the Days theme around the ground collecting for the day - be it charity, schools etc
* - 1st game - Local NRRRL, Gold Coast, Womens or school game.
* - At Half Time Gymnastics\Cheerleaders
* - Between games. Video Screen preview of upcoming QLD Cup game.
* - 2nd game - Qld Cup game,from home game of the 3 feeder teams
* - Half Time Gymnastic\Cheerleaders
* - Between Game. Video Screen preview of game,OR Entertainment from local school bands or VideoFocus on two or three of the players.
* - Just before Game Id like to see the National Anthem played.
* - NRL Game 1st Half
* - Half Time - Presentation or video presentation about the charity\group of the day. Eg Emergency services - get the announcer to recognise the good job they do, make a dummy cheque presentation to the group (real one to follow when donations collected) or similar presentation to thank the effort etc. This can also apply to local schools, hospitals you get the drift.
* - 2nd Half. Finish with the an announcement of Man of the Match and next home game details etc.

I think it important to achieve strong ties with the local community as it will only strengthen the respect and support for the club right throughout the community. By this I mean not only the League following public, but the community as a whole, so that if any Gold Coaster was asked do you support the Titans they can Say, even if they dont follow football, "I support the Titans" If the community as a whole gets behind the club - attracting coporate spnsorship will be so much easier if the Titans brand is always active in helping the GC.

DeeGan
29-03-06, 01:53 PM
My thoughts for home games;

There are any wealth of "Theme games" We can have - and I think we should have a number of them spread out over the home season. Not every game but every couple.

Ladies Day
Childrens\Family Day
Charity Game
Emergency Services Game
Members\Spnsors Day
Schools Day

Just to name a few. Each game can "Target" that particular demographic for the day. For example - on Emergency Services Day, anyone who works\volunteers for the emergency services can get discounted tickets. Collections can be taken at spots around the ground for donations to the various organisations (same can be done for local schools, charities, Womens domestic violence groups (Womens day) and so on.)

This gives the club great exposure amongst local groups that really need the help. also gives the club a good reputation in the local community, helps the club become "part" of the community.

A very basic run down of a day;

Gates open.

* - Collectors for the Days theme around the ground collecting for the day - be it charity, schools etc
* - 1st game - Local NRRRL, Gold Coast, Womens or school game.
* - At Half Time Gymnastics\Cheerleaders
* - Between games. Video Screen preview of upcoming QLD Cup game.
* - 2nd game - Qld Cup game,from home game of the 3 feeder teams
* - Half Time Gymnastic\Cheerleaders
* - Between Game. Video Screen preview of game,OR Entertainment from local school bands or VideoFocus on two or three of the players.
* - Just before Game Id like to see the National Anthem played.
* - NRL Game 1st Half
* - Half Time - Presentation or video presentation about the charity\group of the day. Eg Emergency services - get the announcer to recognise the good job they do, make a dummy cheque presentation to the group (real one to follow when donations collected) or similar presentation to thank the effort etc. This can also apply to local schools, hospitals you get the drift.
* - 2nd Half. Finish with the an announcement of Man of the Match and next home game details etc.

I think it important to achieve strong ties with the local community as it will only strengthen the respect and support for the club right throughout the community. By this I mean not only the League following public, but the community as a whole, so that if any Gold Coaster was asked do you support the Titans they can Say, even if they dont follow football, "I support the Titans" If the community as a whole gets behind the club - attracting coporate spnsorship will be so much easier if the Titans brand is always active in helping the GC.

Awesome post Dakink :clap:

Thanks mate ;)

lonegull
29-03-06, 02:26 PM
Well done dakink really good ideas :beer: